Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

On 8/8/2020 at 1:02 AM, Anselmheifer said:

Chase Young is just so twitchy and fast out of the gate. He was in front of Montez by a yard almost immediately out of the gate. And maintained that lead until the last leg. 

Yep.  It's not about pure speed.  Pass rushers obviously aren't running a 40 when they chase the QB.  It's that fast get off.  And with Chase, he's a master of the 45 degree angle or whatever it takes not to waste movement in getting to the QB.  I think the dude is going to be monster level good as long as he stays healthy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yep.  It's not about pure speed.  Pass rushers obviously aren't running a 40 when they chase the QB.  It's that fast get off.  And with Chase, he's a master of the 45 degree angle or whatever it takes not to waste movement in getting to the QB.  I think the dude is going to be monster level good as long as he stays healthy.

What's wild is that Sweat didn't just have a great 40 time, his 10 yard split was elite for a guy his size at 1.5 seconds; so he's really explosive as well.

And Chase is about a full step ahead of him in that picture. 

• Like 6

Chase is the elite player that in theory should make everyone else better.  Previously I felt Jonathan Allen was sold as that guy, and maybe his work on the field is under appreciated/noticed because he plays in the middle of the line, but if Chase is as good as advertised and makes his impact early & often, I don't see how it doesn't transform this D-line.

6 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Sweat is a good athlete. Young is on another planet. We finally have an All Pro caliber guy on D. Haven't had that since Sean Taylor(RIP).

Chase is the much better player, but Montez is more than just a good athlete.  He's 6'6 260 and set the combine 40 record for defensive linemen.  He is one of the best athletes in the NFL pound for pound.

London Fletcher actually made some All Pro teams for us, but Chase is the biggest talent on D that we've drafted since Sean Taylor.

• Like 3

Sweat and Ryan Anderson are sort of the converse of each other in a sense as for athleticism.

Sweat has the athletic metrics to the extent that its screaming superstar material but he has to put it together.  I was cool with the trade up for him.  His best game was against Dallas but granted that was against Dallas' backup LT.  I like his chances but will see.  Elite speed.  Long arms. 

Anderson's athletic metrics screams bust.  Poor speed. And, Poor agility.  Short arms.  Trent had a much better 3 cone than Ryan.  Ryan's 3 cone with similar to Ioannidis and Settle who are like 60 pounds heavier than him.  Some said at the time it's rare for a player judging stats over the years with his metrics to succeed as a pass rusher.  I was also cool with the pick at the time.  He's been decent IMO but not great. 

But yeah the two of them are like perfect combine opposites.  One is the athletic freak who might emerge thanks in part to monster measurables.   The other is a dude that some draft geeks liked, some didn't but if he emerges its about him playing above his athleticism. 

I do think Chase Young has it all.  He has the measurables.  He has the smarts.  Work Ethic.  Leadership.  Everything. 

Screen Shot 2020-08-10 at 7.03.43 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-10 at 7.04.29 AM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sweat and Ryan Anderson are sort of the converse of each other in a sense as for athleticism.

Anderson's athletic metrics screams bust.  Poor speed. And, Poor agility.  Short arms.  Trent had a much better 3 cone than Ryan.  Ryan's 3 cone with similar to Ioannidis and Settle who are like 60 pounds heavier than him.  Some said at the time it's rare for a player judging stats over the years with his metrics to succeed as a pass rusher.  I was also cool with the pick at the time.  He's been decent IMO but not great. 

Anderson was a waste of a 2nd round pick. He never had the traits. His production was, meh. He was drafted as a tone setter and an Alabama guy, but you can’t be a tone setter without production. Should have been a 4th or 5th round pick. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Anderson was a waste of a 2nd round pick. He never had the traits. His production was, meh. He was drafted as a tone setter and an Alabama guy, but you can’t be a tone setter without production. Should have been a 4th or 5th round pick. 

Yep I’d say this is bang on. Doesn’t mean he can’t contribute, but yeah he was a reach by Bruce Almighty.

5 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

So the only thing I'll say is Ryan Anderson might have been the most improved player on the defense last year, and he was being coached in a defense coordinated by a guy who is now the defensive quality control coach at Kentucky. 

It's just absolutely impossible to tell how good or bad any talent on the defense has been for so long because the coaching, including technique, preparation and scheme, have probably been the absolute worst in the league since 2010 under Haz, Barry and Manusky.  I really didn't think anybody could be worse than Barry, who still has the historical worst record and stats of any DC in league history, but Manusky gave a solid run at it.  

When your coaching is THAT bad, (and not to mention the HC couldn't manage a Dairy Queen), the Team President was an aloof ass hat who allowed for a back-stabbing, no accountability culture to fester, and the owner has shown to be a complete zero, it's a wonder any player was able to develop at all.

So, I'm impressed with Ryan Anderson's improvement.  JDR called him out unsolicited in the Barry S. article as somebody who he's really impressed with.

Before burying the guy due to lack of talent, I think we should give him the benefit of working under a competent coaching staff and a more functional organization.  Who knows, if used correctly, he might be one hell of a good player on the defense in certain salutations..

I sound like I'm the president of the Ryan Anderson fan club, which I'm really not.  But he really showed more flashes last year than just about anybody on the defense, and he brings a tough attitude, and you can always use some of that. 

• Like 6

Ryan Anderson is the greatest 2nd round pick the WFT has made since Fred party boat Smoot, so knock him all you want.

Seriously though, I think he brings something to the defense that no other linebacker does. He is a bully and a serious physical threat and in the right plays, he's a great piece to have. He's got great instincts too and the ability to get off blocks.

I think he's going to surprise some people this year.

14 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Chase is the much better player, but Montez is more than just a good athlete.  He's 6'6 260 and set the combine 40 record for defensive linemen.  He is one of the best athletes in the NFL pound for pound.

Yeah, let's not understate what an absolute freak of an athlete Montez is. 

He's 6'6 260 lbs and was faster than Odell Beckham Jr. in both the 40 and 10 yard split. 

Let that sink in. 

6 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Anderson isn't a pass rusher. He's a completely different type of player, despite playing almost the same position. They'll have different jobs in different packages.

Don't really agree with this. Is Anderson a great pass rusher? Nah. Is he a decent one who does get pressure and make plays occasionally? Yeah. His highest PFF grade from last season was as a pass rusher (67.9) His other areas are a bigger concern.

His run defense is sorta hard to gauge as there was a huge drop between his 2018 grade (excellent at 83.8) and his 2019 grade (poor at 55.7). So that could partially be scheming, etc. From the eye test to me he looks very good at setting the edge but isn't overly instinctive as a run stopper. 

It's coverage where his main red lights are. He has such mediocre athleticism that I wouldn't trust him to cover a Tackle who split out as a receiver, let alone a TE, RB, or slot WR. I'd be fine with him in at SAM as a situational 5th pass rusher or on more likely running downs (or vs heavy running teams) where he has the size and attitude to set the edge and stack and shed at the LoS. 

6 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Sorta agree here. I don't think he was a waste of a pick in general, but I do think he was a definite reach in the 2nd. IMO we definitely could still have gotten him in the 3rd or later. We passed up on some much better players who were still on the board, though hindsight is always 20/20 of course. But man...if we'd have snagged Kamara there...

• Like 2

I think the scheme certainly could be better but I think it goes a bit overstated sometimes as an excuse for players.

For example, the Giants weren't that well coached.  But their young big boys in the middle for example like another Alabama dude (Tomlinson) and Lawrence could still stuff the run.  We have been atrocious against the run.   We can't get pressure on third down. And when a team wants to stuff the run down our throats to ice a game, they can do that, too. 

We are talking about Sweat's talent here and it's justified and the dude did have 7 sacks last year.    Matt Ioannidis according to one metric was doubled teamed 60% plus of the time, yet still had really good production.  Ditto Kerrigan aside from last season. 

There have been some clear individual successes (ditto really any team as to the same point) here in spite of subpar defensive coaching. So I don't give every player a pass. I do think the Alabama boys to a degree have not lived up to their hype.  They've been decent but nothing special. 

And you won't get a more positive dude about Alabama and their defense than me.  I've gone to see them three times live in the last two years.  My kid loves Alabama.  I get into the hype about them as much as anyone.

I do think with Chase Young in the mix, it's an opportunity for these guys to finally emerge from decent-good to being good-great as some of us (including me) expected when we drafted them.   Right now it would be a bit of a joke to put any of those three guys in conversation as being among the best at their position.   And in retrospect that surprises me.  But to me the jury isn't out.  To me this is the season for them to bloom.    And they can do it.

As for Ryan Anderson.    I am sort of in between the debating points here.  I don't think he's been a bust.  I don't think he's been great.  Just having a good (not great) run stuffing DE to me doesn't justify his draft status.   IMO you need some pass rush from a DE.  Run stuffing (non pass rushing) DEs aren't IMO premium players.  The reason why I was OK with the pick (though had concerns about the red flags (slow, bad agility, short arms) was I thought he can bring some pass rush, too.  He hasn't been much of a pass rusher.   He has been good against the run albeit not elite on that front. 

I never bought the transition to LB for Ryan.  You need speed to play LB and arguably long arms too.  He has neither.  So it doesn't surprise me that even with the transition to 4-3 the dude will not be converted to LB.  But I was cool and still am with his other attributes like the toughness.  He's typically good against the run.  It wasn't a great pick in retrospect.  But probably our best 2nd round pick in a long time aside from Preston Smith.   Granted that's me grading on a curve.

And I am cool with @Voice_of_Reason 's point about lets see this year.  I can buy that this is the chance to see all of our D lineman at peak form.  Not just because of Del Rio but because of Chase Young.   So will see if Ryan blossoms.     I do think Allen and Payne are likely to emerge.  As for Anderson, I don't know.  But will see. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Ryan Anderson is super small in a 4-3 as a DE though.  Unless you're playing Wide 9 alignment or something.

I think the principal behind Anderson as a SAM backer is that we use a lot of 4-3 Under Fronts with him.  So he's still on the LoS and becomes the force/contain player on that side.

At least that's my guess.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Ryan Anderson is super small in a 4-3 as a DE though.  Unless you're playing Wide 9 alignment or something.

I think the principal behind Anderson as a SAM backer is that we use a lot of 4-3 Under Fronts with him.  So he's still on the LoS and becomes the force/contain player on that side.

At least that's my guess.

And waaaay to slow to play as a wide 9.