Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

8 hours ago, cakmoney61 said:

Zeke and Chase are from the same college, so they are brothers.  OTOH, as a result of that brotherhood, Zeke knows the young man is a beast of the predatory variety.😱

I'm sure due to both being Ohio players they've interacted and share that bond/respect, but was Young even in the building as a HS recruit the last time Zeke was on a college roster? I don't think there was any overlap. Obviously it doesn't matter as everyone in aware of the type of monster Chase is

Would you believe we're near the top of the league in rankings, in a good way.

We have the 4th most "homegrown talent" on our roster, with 27 players.

That's a good thing, right ???  Oh wait, the Bengals are Number 1.

https://www.nfl.com/videos/ranking-nfl-teams-by-most-homegrown-talent

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

16 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

That's a good thing, right ???  Oh wait, the Bengals are Number 1.

https://www.nfl.com/videos/ranking-nfl-teams-by-most-homegrown-talent

Can't even watch the video because nfl.com is the absolute worst....

but, no doubt the Bengals are highly inflated in that kind of ranking because they've had Geno Atkins and Dunlap on their D-Line for a decade. And Dalton/Mixon/Boyd were all drafted. 

19 minutes ago, Mooka said:

Can't even watch the video because nfl.com is the absolute worst....

but, no doubt the Bengals are highly inflated in that kind of ranking because they've had Geno Atkins and Dunlap on their D-Line for a decade. And Dalton/Mixon/Boyd were all drafted. 

The Bengals don't really spend money in FA, so they've ranked highly in this category for quite a while regardless of how much talent they do or don't actually have on the roster.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

The Bengals don't really spend money in FA, so they've ranked highly in this category for quite a while regardless of how much talent they do or don't actually have on the roster.

It'll be interesting to see who we sign in the coming years--we have an abundance of space to keep Allen, Payne, and Ionnaidis in the next couple of years. They'll make a hard run at Ramsey, should he hit FA. But I just feel this team's approach is to build a team, not a collection of players. You start that by resigning your own.

3 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

It'll be interesting to see who we sign in the coming years--we have an abundance of space to keep Allen, Payne, and Ionnaidis in the next couple of years. They'll make a hard run at Ramsey, should he hit FA. But I just feel this team's approach is to build a team, not a collection of players. You start that by resigning your own.

If this were a real football season, I'd consider trading Settle for a DB, TE, G, or a WR2, maybe.

We can't keep all these lineman. Might as well get something for them before it's too late.

7 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

If this were a real football season, I'd consider trading Settle for a DB, TE, G, or a WR2, maybe.

We can't keep all these lineman. Might as well get something for them before it's too late.

Not yet--the depth, cheap depth at that, is way more valuable. This is the perfect evaluation year--see what we have in Moreland, Moreau, Darby, et al before making any moves like that. But we will probably have to trade one of Ionnaidis, Payne, Settle, or Allen eventually. I cannot wait to see Young-Allen-Payne-Sweat, with Kerrigan, Ionnaidis, Settle rotating in. 

On 6/25/2020 at 4:37 PM, ConnSKINS26 said:

I'm sure due to both being Ohio players they've interacted and share that bond/respect, but was Young even in the building as a HS recruit the last time Zeke was on a college roster? I don't think there was any overlap. Obviously it doesn't matter as everyone in aware of the type of monster Chase is

They were not teammates.  Zeke played at Ohio State 2013-2015.  Chase played 2017-2019.  Based upon Zeke's post he knows who Chase Young is.🙂

10 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

SIP, I’m not sure how impressive I find that workout video, but Chase does so many come/rope drills for footwork. Way more than I would expect. Probably a very good thing. 

I just like to keep seeing, reading, hearing how obsessed he is about getting better.    I think he's going to live up to his billing. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I just like to keep seeing, reading, hearing how obsessed he is about getting better.    I think he's going to live up to his billing. 

I hope so. He seems to tick all of the boxes. I honestly don’t think he’s the SPARQ athlete that Orakpo was or Myles Garrett is, but the sum looks like more than the parts. His get off is incredible. He’s so fluid. His bend is great. Hands are great. In those areas, he’s like the anti-Orakpo.  Length is great. Intangibles and work ethic are great. His floor is super high. I think his floor might be a boring 11 sacks a year. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I hope so. He seems to tick all of the boxes. I honestly don’t think he’s the SPARQ athlete that Orakpo was or Myles Garrett is, but the sum looks like more than the parts. His get off is incredible. He’s so fluid. His bend is great. Hands are great. In those areas, he’s like the anti-Orakpo.  Length is great. Intangibles and work ethic are great. His floor is super high. I think his floor might be a boring 11 sacks a year. 

Great get off.  Great bend.  Great motor.  Multiple pass rushing moves -- counters.  Can stunt -- play inside.  He's smart.  He's disciplined as heck.  He works non stop.  He seems super focused.  He seems health obsessed.  He seems to want to be great.

He has the talent and the intangibles.  I think he will be this team's first superstar since seemingly forever.  

You won't find too many higher than me on McLaurin and Guice.   Guice needs to stay health though.  But if I were going to Vegas and betting on what dude on this roster becomes a superstar, best in the league type, I'd put all my chips on Chase. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

SIP, I’m not sure how impressive I find that workout video, but Chase does so many come/rope drills for footwork. Way more than I would expect. Probably a very good thing. 

Reminded me of watching Monica Seles. 

• Haha 1

I know it's been discussed but I think the biggest reason chase will likely live up to expectations is coaching.

If Gruden and manusky stuck around for the next ten years I think he'd be a ten plus sack a year guy but he'd be considered to have little impact on the game kind of how kerrigan is viewed, maybe a little better maybe a little worse but since our overall defense would suck and we'd always be in the cellar he'd be an afterthought. 

With a defensive head coach and a great defensive coordinator both with well established proven track records of not only excellent defenses but also premier pass rushers I think we will not only win more games but chase will be considered a major part of that because of his 10 plus sacks and being in better position to effect the outcome of games due to superior coaching.

The perception of how good players are is as much about the success of the team as it is about their stats and production.

when we start winning with a top defense I believe you'll start seeing the perception of a lot of these guys we have now that are considered average start going up not necessarily because they got better but because they're being put in better positions to succeed. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've never been this hyped about a prospect we got from the draft since forever.  RG3 being an exception so maybe that's a bad omen. 😪  Maybe Guice but he wasn't a first rounder and my expectations were more tempered then it was for Young.

We love our D lineman.  I was as hyped as anyone when we got Jonathan Allen.  I wasn't in love with Payne in the draft but liked him (I liked D. James, Vea (who went before him better).  Ionnaidis has clearly exceeded expectations and is a good player maybe even very good.   I liked the move to get Sweat.  But "like" for me is the operative word.  While I think Payne and Sweat have the potential to be special -- am not sure they end up that way but it's certainly in play.    The sample size is bigger with Payne albeit not that big -- Sweat has the opportunity to take a climb as many pass rushers do in season two.   I think Allen plays to his talent but had an off year compared to the season before.   And hasn't really killed it yet.  I like what we got up till now but don't love it.  I don't think the unit has justified loving it. 

i don't think any of our D lineman yet have sniffed a pro bowl or have played like they are special consistently.   I think as a unit they've underperformed expectations.   They can't stop the run with the game on the line for the most part or rush the passer on critical downs.  Their 3rd down defense has been horrendous of late.  I don't mind putting some or even most of that blame on Manusky, etc.  But it's tough for me to make the argument that any of our D lineman have been great.  But certainly they have been good.

That preamble leads to a point for me.  Chase Young to me is the perfect catalyst for the rest of the D lineman to shine.  The D lineman now have experience under their belt.  They have a better D coordinator.  And if they are going to elevate to good to great -- this is their chance.  And I do think it possibly goes down.  

So while I agree with some of the points made here by some that one player can't do it their own.  I do think Chase is the perfect addition to maximize a D line that has been somewhat overhyped and overrated IMO by people including myself.   If there is a chance that this D line becomes SF level special IMO it wouldn't happen without Chase Young.  Chase makes it possible and heck even likely.

I get tempering down expectations being a fan of this team.  But how often do we draft a guy that is the consensus best player in the draft?  Hardly ever if ever.  Some say it happened with L. Arrington.  But heck another D lineman went before him in that same draft.  He wasn't a lockdown consensus choice.  I recall the debate back then between Brown and Arrington.  And I think Chase has the intangibles that Arrington didn't have.  I'll stick my neck out now and say Chase lives up to his hype.  And IMO he's a better player than every other dude we got right now on the D line and by extension adding some "great" to that D line will elevate the whole unit.  He's the perfect domino to that unit IMO.

Is he a Hall Famer type?  He's got that kind of talent IMO.  To me the #1 wildcard will be injuries. 

If GMs were asked to rank the top 50, non QBs, they’d like to build their roster around, Young would be in the top 5-10.

• Like 4

He plays at a different speed and with a different level of agility.  That shocked me the first time I really watched him close in that Rose bowl win over Washington.  That performance from him basically made it obvious he was one of the top two to three prospects in CFB as a rising junior, and it also ended any consideration of Trey Adams being a high level NFL prospect for me.

His shocking speed and agility plus the very high broadcast angle on most Big 10 games is why so many people thought he was undersized.  He moves with the easy explosion and weight transfer of a defensive back.  It's crazy to find out he's a king-sized traditional 4-3 defensive end.

He might already be the best player on our team.  But I think Jonathan Allen and Landon Collins are the leaders and that they are poised for big time seasons where they make some awards teams.  I could see Payne having a really good year too.  I don't think Sweat is there yet.  I think he's a raw talent who will need more time to master the presnap approach to pass rushing.

• Like 5

On 7/1/2020 at 1:36 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

I've never been this hyped about a prospect we got from the draft since forever.  RG3 being an exception so maybe that's a bad omen. 😪  Maybe Guice but he wasn't a first rounder and my expectations were more tempered then it was for Young.

We love our D lineman.  I was as hyped as anyone when we got Jonathan Allen.  I wasn't in love with Payne in the draft but liked him (I liked D. James, Vea (who went before him better).  Ionnaidis has clearly exceeded expectations and is a good player maybe even very good.   I liked the move to get Sweat.  But "like" for me is the operative word.  While I think Payne and Sweat have the potential to be special -- am not sure they end up that way but it's certainly in play.    The sample size is bigger with Payne albeit not that big -- Sweat has the opportunity to take a climb as many pass rushers do in season two.   I think Allen plays to his talent but had an off year compared to the season before.   And hasn't really killed it yet.  I like what we got up till now but don't love it.  I don't think the unit has justified loving it. 

i don't think any of our D lineman yet have sniffed a pro bowl or have played like they are special consistently.   I think as a unit they've underperformed expectations.   They can't stop the run with the game on the line for the most part or rush the passer on critical downs.  Their 3rd down defense has been horrendous of late.  I don't mind putting some or even most of that blame on Manusky, etc.  But it's tough for me to make the argument that any of our D lineman have been great.  But certainly they have been good.

That preamble leads to a point for me.  Chase Young to me is the perfect catalyst for the rest of the D lineman to shine.  The D lineman now have experience under their belt.  They have a better D coordinator.  And if they are going to elevate to good to great -- this is their chance.  And I do think it possibly goes down.  

So while I agree with some of the points made here by some that one player can't do it their own.  I do think Chase is the perfect addition to maximize a D line that has been somewhat overhyped and overrated IMO by people including myself.   If there is a chance that this D line becomes SF level special IMO it wouldn't happen without Chase Young.  Chase makes it possible and heck even likely.

I get tempering down expectations being a fan of this team.  But how often do we draft a guy that is the consensus best player in the draft?  Hardly ever if ever.  Some say it happened with L. Arrington.  But heck another D lineman went before him in that same draft.  He wasn't a lockdown consensus choice.  I recall the debate back then between Brown and Arrington.  And I think Chase has the intangibles that Arrington didn't have.  I'll stick my neck out now and say Chase lives up to his hype.  And IMO he's a better player than every other dude we got right now on the D line and by extension adding some "great" to that D line will elevate the whole unit.  He's the perfect domino to that unit IMO.

I also haven’t been this excited for a prospect in a long time. RG3 and LaVar are the only two I’ve been this excited about. Although, I was falsely optimistic about Orakpo. The LaVar hype was something I think was mostly insanity. He was marketed as the next LT. The next LT? LaVar didn’t even produce sacks in college. What did he get, 4 sacks the year we drafted him. And we expected him to be our version of an all time great pass rusher? He should have just been marketed as what Marty played him as. A game wrecking off ball linebacker. 

Chase is the opposite of LaVar. He’s a talented and refined pass rusher. He has the body, the athletic traits, and the production. He’s got every move, although he under utilizes the bull rush. He has flexibility and bend. His get off is better than his 40 time. He’s got length. Hands. He is a student of the game and a tireless worker. 

Frankly, I think he’s a lot better than either Bosa. I’m not even sure how good Nick Bosa is. Nick to me, is a rich man’s Ryan Kerrigan. I wouldn’t be surprised if he never posted a 14 or 15 sack season. He collected 9 sacks last year, on a stacked DL, and everyone wants to put him in the HOF. He doesn’t have the speed or the hips. He has great hands and power, but not great size or length. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s a relatively maxed out finished product. 

Chase Young is unequivocally the better prospect and the only reason people don’t say that is how good Nick was as a rookie. It’s hind sight. Nobody ever talked about Bosa as a Heisman candidate. Nobody talked about him as a future HOF player before that draft. Young collected 16.5 sacks in a season in which he missed two games against weak OL’s. Bosa never did anything close to that. Bosa wasn’t changing the opposing teams’ entire offensive game plan...and then producing anyway. 

AND, I think you undersell our DL in your post.  I think it’s clearly better than the DL in San Fran before they drafted Bosa. I’ll take Ryan Kerrigan and Montez Sweat over Dee Ford, all day. And we have Ryan Anderson behind those guys. Buckner put up 15 sacks in the two years before they took Bosa. That’s less than Ioannidis. Armstead was a flat out disappointment. Certainly less accomplished than Jonathan Allen, who has put up 14 sacks in the last two years. And behind Buckner and Armistead, they have who? Solomon Thomas, who was such a big disappointment outside that they had to move him inside? Payne and Settle over that all day.

Even without Chase Young, our DL was going to take a big leap this year. They’ve been playing in a scheme tailor made to waste DL talent. JDR has said we are going to tackle the running back on the way to the QB. An attacking 1 gap 4-3 is perfect for our personnel, and even more so now that we added Chase should have two very good DE’s. Payne is perfect to 2 gap as the one tech. Allen and Ioannidis are perfect as penetrating 4-3  Pass rushers. I expect both not only to produce more sacks, but also to have more overall impact. My biggest question is with Sweat. He was so green and there isn’t much off season. He’s going to benefit from QB’s booting to his side, and he should see all single blocking, but he hasn’t shown good hands, counters, etc. I think he might need one more year before he explodes. 

In any case, I think Chase Young makes the pro bowl this year. The whole situation is set up perfectly for him, other than possibly playing with an offense that never builds a lead. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He might already be the best player on our team.  But I think Jonathan Allen and Landon Collins are the leaders and that they are poised for big time seasons where they make some awards teams.  I could see Payne having a really good year too.  I don't think Sweat is there yet.  I think he's a raw talent who will need more time to master the presnap approach to pass rushing.

This is exactly my take. I often fail to mention how good a fit I think Collins is going to be for this defense. I do think Sweat puts up numbers, maybe 10-12 sacks. But, I think he will get a lot of hustle sacks, coverage sacks, not a lot of clean victories and quick pressures. 

Edit: Also, there are new Chase Young videos every day. 

Edited by Anselmheifer