Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

8 minutes ago, Skins199021 said:

I still trade back if someone offers something outrageous.  Seriously of Miami Offers 5, 18 and 25

Or Raiders offer their 2 1sts, a 2nd and a 2021 2nd.... there is just no way I don't do it.

Another minority opinion is that I honestly think Clowney was better coming out. I realize he was injured his last season in college, but his Sophomore season he as 13.5 sacks and 23.5 TKL in the SEC which was insane. He also didn't disappear in big games.

I'm not crapping on Young but just throwing that opinion out there.

Honestly, I'm bowing to peer pressure but if the Giants would like this guy as much as everyone says, I may call Detroit about pick number 3 before I agree to that deal. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, carex said:

Honestly, I'm bowing to peer pressure but if the Giants would like this guy as much as everyone says, I may call Detroit about pick number 3 before I agree to that deal. 

Giants are always wanting our picks/trying to copy us. leeches

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Skins199021 said:

I still trade back if someone offers something outrageous.  Seriously of Miami Offers 5, 18 and 25

Or Raiders offer their 2 1sts, a 2nd and a 2021 2nd.... there is just no way I don't do it.

Another minority opinion is that I honestly think Clowney was better coming out. I realize he was injured his last season in college, but his Sophomore season he as 13.5 sacks and 23.5 TKL in the SEC which was insane. He also didn't disappear in big games.

I'm not crapping on Young but just throwing that opinion out there.

I don't think anyone will offer anything as outrageous as they would for a QB. But I suppose it's possible. If it were something outrageous i'd certainly entertain the offer; it would be stupid not to at least consider it.

As far as Clowney goes I think as far as physical ability and build he and Chase are very similar but I think Chase is a bit more flexible in his hips and ankles so is a bit better at bending the edge, whereas Clowney was more of a pure speed to power guy coming out. IMO Chase also has a bit more refined technique, especially with his hand use...though Clowney did have a really nice swim move coming out, I remember. 

The other elephant in the room with Clowney is mental. There were worries about him when he came out as to whether he had the motivation and mental makeup to make the leap from college superstar to NFL superstar. IMO those were somewhat justified and I think that may be one of the reasons that Clowney is now a very good pass rusher but not an elite pass rusher. Yeah, he's been to 3 Pro Bowls but he's never had a double digit sack season and the Texans were willing to trade him for two mediocre players and a 3rd round pick. 

From what I've read there are none of those mental concerns with Chase. He's considered a very hard worker, very motivated, and dedicated. Good teammate, good dude to be around. He made a mistake with the loan thing, but that was a minor piddling thing to me. It's not like he violated a substance abuse policy or was caught doing something else nasty. 

15 minutes ago, Gibbit said:

Giants are always wanting our picks/trying to copy us. leeches

Not with pass rushers. Those guys were the originators of the "Keep drafting pass rushers and putting them on the field at the same time" philosophy. 

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 2

Aside from a huge offer....go with Chase and see if we can be a top 3 Defense for the next 5 years. If we can do that we are guaranteed a couple playoff runs. Just please shore up the Oline.....we always **** that up.

Edited by tmandoug1
Grammar
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

Aside from a huge offer....go with Chase and see if we can be a top 3 Defense for the next 5 years. If we can do that we are guaranteed a couple playoff runs. Just please shore up the Oline.....we always **** that up.

OL may need more than shoring up. Or it may not. We have to see what happens.

Williams - Holdout. Removal of Allen opens door for one of the top 3 tackles in franchise history and a top 3 tackle in the league to return. His health becomes a question, and so does his choice of off the field hobbies. 

Flowers - Emerged as a very good guard for us. May want to follow Callahan. May be fine right where he's at.

Penn - Would be a great swing tackle, could compete with Moses to start on the right. But he is likely to retire.

Scherff - Free agent. I'm guessing he will get tagged. Though I wouldn't tag him. Make a deal or move on.

Moses - He's... serviceable. I like the guy. Discipline is his main gig.

Roullier - Could upgrade. Could do worse. 

Martin - emerged as a starting candidate if we lose one of Flowers/Scherff. If we lose both we're in a larger hole.

So, best case scenario: Williams/Martin/Roullier/Scherff/Moses as the starting line is more than serviceable. (I didn't put Flowers, but really Martin could go to either side, depending).

The problem is 100% a total lack of depth IF that's the line.

If Williams doesn't come back more problems happen. If Penn retires its amplified. If we lose Scherff and Flowers we're in a lot of trouble.

It also depends on who the OC is on the plan moving forward.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, carex said:

Can you really say Trent's one of the top three when since Gibbs 1 we've had four greats?  Jacoby, Lachey, Samuels and him. 

One, I feel like sometimes you quibble to quibble. 3... 4? What the heck's the difference?

Second, yes. It can be argued he's been just as good as any of those three you named but with much worse surrounding talent sans Samuels.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

To shine light on the reality of the luck of this franchise. It's happened before and it will happen again. Watch.

Don't be jinxing us with that bull****.......**** whatever you think is going to happen.....save your  pessimistic premonitions for your own personal sorry life.  Don't bring that over here....We got enough of it already. 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, KDawg said:

One, I feel like sometimes you quibble to quibble. 3... 4? What the heck's the difference?

Second, yes. It can be argued he's been just as good as any of those three you named but with much worse surrounding talent sans Samuels.

well, you'd be wrong, these things really nag at me.  And the difference is that it leaves a very important Redskins player out of important conversations

15 minutes ago, carex said:

well, you'd be wrong, these things really nag at me.  And the difference is that it leaves a very important Redskins player out of important conversations

It does so either way. “Important” players are left out of many conversations regardless. 

I'm inclined to go Young, but if there was interest from Detroit in Young, and San Diego/Jacksonville wanted to jump Miami for Tua.

I'd go for a double trade down:

1) #2 -> #3 + 2021 1st + 2021 2nd

2) #3 -> #7 + 2020 2nd + 2021 1st

End up with

2021 1st

2021 1st

2021 2nd

The likelihood of being able to prearrange something like this is very low, but it's a scenario that I'd take over Young.  That'd be enough picks to seriously rebuild the roster. AND it'd provide the ammo to get a QB in the 2021 draft if Haskins doesn't pan out...

• Like 1

Dobbins declared yesterday, okudah declares today.  Come on Chase, declare already so we can exhale!

36 minutes ago, SAli457180 said:

Chase Young, if drafted, could be Washington's version of Julius Peppers in Del Rio's and Coach Rivera's defense

Payne and Allen can be the Henderson/Stroud.  With sweat opposite young, and combining those pairs together, we could be looking at a monster d line for years to come.  The only question would be how to pay them all to keep them happy, but that's a good problem to have.  The year they entered the league is all staggered as well.

• Like 1

I am hoping Chase Young can be our Nick Bosa.  The 49ers defense was good in 2018 but not really that over the top beast defense.  They drafted Bosa and he basically transformed the entire pass rush into a nasty unit.  That is what a true blue chipper can do, and fast.  They can take a respected unit and morph them into beasts that are a force to be reckoned with on every single snap of the ball.   JJ Watt did the same when he was drafted.    If the scouts honestly think Chase Young is THAT kind of player, you don't pass on him.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SAli457180 said:

Chase Young, if drafted, could be Washington's version of Julius Peppers in Del Rio's and Coach Rivera's defense

You want something funnier?

In fact Del Rio was named DC in Carolina in 2002 when they drafted Julius Peppers at #2

In 2012 he was named the Broncos DC when they drafted Von Miller at #2

I would say we can call Pete Rozelle, Paul Tagliabue, Roger Goodell and tell him to start draft with pick #3, #1 and #2 are already in the history books.

• Like 4