Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

I'm torn on Young.. I know this isn't an apples to apples comparison as they play different positions, but the most dominant guy I ever watched in college was Aaron Donald. That dude destroyed opponents and it was clear he was on another level. Some of that may have been competition level, but he was far and away the best DL I've ever watched.

I don't get the same dominant vibe from Young.. don't get me wrong, he does some really good things but I don't get the Donald vibe from him.. THAT dude was a generational talent. Hopefully Young is as well, I will watch more of him but I dunno. With that #2 pick comes a boatload of expectations and I really hope he can live up to them. Already people are downing him because he didn't dominate every snap of every game.. with our ridiculous fanbase that will only get worse if he comes here.

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Neither attack downhill very well. Both serviceable back ups.

Relying on Reuben is a mistake. Injury prone, loose cannon. There's a reason he was available.

Plus, the best guy for the ILB spot is Isaiah Simmons. Should the Skins get him, he can play FS, MIKE, slot corner, SAM and WILL. He is versatile. He could even do a little edge rushing, though I'd limit that. So if Holcomb develops into a downhill player, you still have options with him.

I'd love to hear what people think is the reason the run D was so bad. Part was the DL, sure. But more was the ILBs.

I'd also ask the question: Who plays SAM and WILL in a 4-3 style D?

I'm sorry I do not legitimately believe a player will be able to fill all those spots in an NFL defense.  If he remains at his size and tries to play LB he will be run over, so he will have to add weight and that will take him out of the secondary options.  Or he can stay at that size and try it out at DB

And traditionally guys whoplay ILB in the 3-4 fill the role in the 4-3 so we may need to pick up an OLB but we should have several options for at least one spot

11 minutes ago, carex said:

I'm sorry I do not legitimately believe a player will be able to fill all those spots in an NFL defense.  If he remains at his size and tries to play LB he will be run over, so he will have to add weight and that will take him out of the secondary options.  Or he can stay at that size and try it out at DB

And traditionally guys whoplay ILB in the 3-4 fill the role in the 4-3 so we may need to pick up an OLB but we should have several options for at least one spot

You didn't answer my question.

Who plays MIKE, SAM and WILL?

Foster is probably the best coverage LB on the roster. He'd be the best candidate to play SAM. But he's also the best downhill gap filler. So he's also the best MIKE. SDH, Bostic and Holcomb aren't good enough rushers to play the WILL and don't fill well enough to play MIKE. Though I could buy the argument that with more limited coverage responsibilities they'd get downhill quicker.

If they had Simmons (they won't get him, but just for the conversation), I'd let Foster play MIKE, Simmons play SAM and Ryan Anderson play WILL. 

Holcomb backs up Foster at MIKE (and its likely he sees a lot of PT given Foster's injury concerns). SDH backs up Anderson at WILL. 

Without Simmons:

Foster at MIKE, we don't really have a good WILL option, Anderson at SAM.

Also, take a look at this. Older article but still good:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/130439-nfl-draft-line-backer-size-is-not-that-important

So I decided to look at the current starting inside and middle linebackers, to see how accurate these mythical weight numbers are when it pertains to playing on Sundays.

To better understand this, I have created a list of starting middle and inside linebackers in the NFL today.

The results were surprising.
  1. New Orleans MLB Jonathan Vilma 230 lbs.
  2. Tennessee MLB Stephen Tulloch 235 lbs.
  3. Indianapolis MLB Gary Brackett 235 lbs.
  4. Seattle SLB Leroy Hill 238 lbs.
  5. San Francisco MLB Patrick Willis 240 lbs.
  6. Seattle MLB Lofa Tatupu 242 lbs.
  7. Oakland MLB Kirk Morrison 240 lbs.
  8. St. Louis MLB Will Witherspoon 240 lbs.
  9. San Diego ILB Stephen Cooper 235 lbs.
  10. Cleveland MLB D'Qwell Jackson 240 lbs.
  11. Cincinnati MLB Dhani Jones 240 lbs.
  12. Green Bay ILB Nick Barnett 236 lbs.
  13. Kansas City MLB Derrick Johnson 242 lbs.
  14. Tampa bay MLB Barrett Ruud 241 lbs.
  15. Buffalo MLB Paul Posluzny 238 lbs.

A few weak side linebackers come in even lighter.

1. Indianapolis WLB Cato June 227 lbs.
  2. Detroit WLB Ernie Sims 225 lbs.
  3. Tennessee WLB Xavier Adibi 232 lbs.

So, Simmons at 230 is in line with these guys. At 230 he's a touch small for SAM, which is a good spot for him, but that can be circumvented through chipping and other ideas. His speed would be a game changer at SAM, though. He could also be the WILL, but that's a larger gap at SAM.

Edited by KDawg

I'm ok either way, until Chase Young is the pick and he pulls a Sua.......then I will plaster the board with "see......we should have traded back". ****'s more fun that way. In all seriousness its a gamble I'm willing to take......would love to see QB's running for their lives and throwing picks out of pure fear every game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

So are people souring on Young now or is it just the fans overreacting to the playoff game?

Some are. But most aren’t. Just there are other possibilities at play.

I don’t think we should pass on Young at this moment. Dude is that good. But trading down is not an unattractive strategy, either. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't know about Haskins making the call but I trust Portis to make it.  According to him he's the one who tipped the balance for them to take Taylor over Winslow. ;)

This was in line with why i said it.  BA is gone, let's get some normal structure.

No more players going straight to the boss to get decisions over coaches and GMs.  

Although I am glad we had Taylor...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Neither attack downhill very well. Both serviceable back ups.

Relying on Reuben is a mistake. Injury prone, loose cannon. There's a reason he was available.

Plus, the best guy for the ILB spot is Isaiah Simmons. Should the Skins get him, he can play FS, MIKE, slot corner, SAM and WILL. He is versatile. He could even do a little edge rushing, though I'd limit that. So if Holcomb develops into a downhill player, you still have options with him.

I'd love to hear what people think is the reason the run D was so bad. Part was the DL, sure. But more was the ILBs.

I'd also ask the question: Who plays SAM and WILL in a 4-3 style D?

I'm going to follow you around and support your push for Simmons... i can't get enough of that dude.

To answer your question.... The reason our Run Defense is SOOO bad is because we're asking our 3 best players on defense to open holes for other people to fill.  Problem is when the other people don't fill... now it's just a hole for an RB to run through.  Manusky asked the LBs to cover as well as gap assign which leaves them in no mans land most of the time.  If they're a step late, Barkley will beat them to the hole 10 times out of 10 and then it's too late.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Art said:

Just exactly how rare a prospect is Young exactly?   Peppers, Clowney, Garrett, one of the Bosa brothers?   Better, worse, where?   I'm not a huge draft guy and don't start tuning in for it until February really, but this guy seems to have buzz regardless of the fact we are in the running for him.   I know Shannon Sharpe felt Young got dominated by the Clemson right tackle.    Which would be worrisome.   But the Big Ten has good offensive linemen generally so it's not like he went up against slouches.   Regardless, I really only want him if we're actually running a 4-3.   Then go nuts :).

But if you make him a stand up linebacker I'm gonna be pissy.

He is the best pass rushing DE I have seen since Bruce Smith. So yeah. He is pretty frikin special.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If we take Simmons at 2 it would the biggest joke in recent memory.Simmons impact on the the game is not even close to Chase Young's.Trust me teams are not drawing up their game plan with Isaiah Simmons in mind.Chase must be accounted for on every single play.If we get Simmons he better be coming with atleast 2 other 1st round picks.

• Like 5