Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

2 minutes ago, Ghedrick said:

If we take Simmons at 2 it would the biggest joke in recent memory.Simmons impact on the the game is not even close to Chase Young's.Trust me teams are not drawing up their game plan with Isaiah Simmons in mind.Chase must be accounted for on every single play.If we get Simmons he better be coming with atleast 2 other 1st round picks.

I think you're hyperbolic here.

But I'd agree that you don't take him at 2. But I also haven't seen anyone say that they should. Creating arguments out of thin air is not a healthy exercise, sir. :ols:

Having said that, what credentials do you have that would make me trust you? Not that you're untrustworthy. You may be completely correct. I just always find that line to be amusing on a message board where none of us know each other. There are certainly posters I put more stock in than others, but I wouldn't say I "trust" anyone on a forum. 

I don't know why I went down on that side road there. The trust me was just an interesting line to me I guess.

And I can bet you that team's account for Simmons and are well aware of him. That's kind of a wild statement :ols:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think you're hyperbolic here.

But I'd agree that you don't take him at 2. But I also haven't seen anyone say that they should. Creating arguments out of thin air is not a healthy exercise, sir. :ols:

Having said that, what credentials do you have that would make me trust you? Not that you're untrustworthy. You may be completely correct. I just always find that line to be amusing on a message board where none of us know each other. There are certainly posters I put more stock in than others, but I wouldn't say I "trust" anyone on a forum. 

I don't know why I went down on that side road there. The trust me was just an interesting line to me I guess.

And I can bet you that team's account for Simmons and are well aware of him. That's kind of a wild statement :ols:

What do you got to bet?

You wanting to bet someone you don't know holds no weight. So watch your own wild statements.

Go watch the tape and tell me when you ever seen a team game plan for Isaiah Simmons before you run your mouth.Evidence holds weight. You have no augrement here. Its apparent watching tape teams game plan for Chase.

4 minutes ago, Ghedrick said:

What do you got to bet?

You wanting to bet someone you don't know holds no weight. So watch your own wild statements.

Got me there. I do not intend to bet someone on a message board. I used that phrase as a phrase, rather than a literal sense. You win this one :)

Go watch the tape and tell me when you ever seen a team game plan for Isaiah Simmons before you run your mouth.Evidence holds weight. You have no augrement here. Its apparent watching tape teams game plan for Chase.

So you're under the assumption that teams' do not, under any circumstances, look at Isaiah Simmons on film and think to themselves, "hey, let's have an idea of where this guy is"?

It's an interesting stance to take.

I do, however, have a concern here: Where did I say teams didn't game plan for Young? 

I think you're taking my support for Simmons as a knock on Young and that's simply just not the case. I think they're both exceptionally talented players that could tremendously impact a defense. Young is at a more highly scrutinized and widely accepted important position. Simmons is more versatile and an all over the field type of player. If we wind up with either we're quite lucky. 

But, because I think you're misunderstanding me here, let me say:

I don't draft Simmons at 2 over Young. If I target Simmons, it's in a short trade back to acquire more selections in the draft and then get Simmons.

My big board:

1a) Chase Young

1b) Isaiah Simmons

3) Jeffrey Okudah

4) Jerry Jeudy

5) Andrew Thomas.

I'd say trust me, but you shouldn't! :ols:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, skinsdude said:

Trade back and take the best available offensive left tackle. The offensive line needs a lot of help. Whoever is playing QB needs more time. 

lol So we finally get a chance to get an honest to god blue chip potentially generational talent at one of the most important positions in football and we're going to pass on him and then trade down and draft for need. 

That would be so Redskins. Like when we passed on a superstar in James and drafted for need with Payne. 

No. You take Chase Young at 2. You don't think about it. You might even consider hiring a professional sprinter to get your card up to the podium when you're on the clock just to be as sure as possible that you get the pick in on time. 

This is possibly the most no-brainer pick in Redskins history. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, jsharrin55 said:

This was in line with why i said it.  BA is gone, let's get some normal structure.

No more players going straight to the boss to get decisions over coaches and GMs.  

Although I am glad we had Taylor...

Sure, I agree, just having some fun with how Cerrato would admit that Portis had a pipeline to them as for the draft back in the day 

1. CINCINNATI BENGALS — QB JOE BURROW,  LSU

With the Bengals officially having locked up the first overall pick in the draft, get used to seeing Burrow's name here because it isn't changing from now until draft day. His 94.3 overall grade is the highest we've ever seen from an SEC quarterback.

2. WASHINGTON REDSKINS — EDGE CHASE YOUNG, OHIO STATE

If positional value didn't matter, Young would be the No. 1 overall pick. There's not a box he doesn't currently check at the position, and even better, he's seen his grade improve every single year at Ohio State.

3. DETROIT LIONS — CB JEFFREY OKUDAH, OHIO STATE

Okudah isn't as much of a sure thing as Young, but he similarly checks pretty much every box you want to see at the position. Okudah hasn't allowed 50 or more yards in any single game this season.

4. NEW YORK GIANTS — OT JEDRICK WILLS, ALABAMA

Wills has been a rocketship up draft boards this season — and for good reason. Wills improved by leaps and bounds, even as the season went along. He allowed 11 pressures all season but only one in his last five games.

5. MIAMI DOLPHINS — QB TUA TAGOVAILOA, ALABAMA

The hip injury is a serious concern, but it's not as if the Dolphins need Tua to see the field day one. Tagovailoa had only 24 turnover-worthy plays in his entire college career.

6. LOS ANGELES CHARGERS — OT ANDREW THOMAS, GEORGIA

Thomas is the rare offensive lineman who's started since his true freshman year yet never really played bad football. He earned a 76.7 pass-blocking grade as a true freshman for Georgia.

7.  CAROLINA PANTHERS — EDGE A.J. EPENESA, IOWA

The Panthers just drafted edge last season, but Epenesa is a different breed than Brian Burns. Epenesa is more than comfortable kicking inside and did so on 92 snaps at Iowa this season.

8. ARIZONA CARDINALS — OT TRISTAN WIRFS, IOWA

Wirfs only allowed multiple pressures in two games this season, and he only allowed one total pressure over his last six games. That's indicative of just how far he's come after earning a 52.9 pass-blocking grade as a true freshman.

9. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS — DI DERRICK BROWN, AUBURN

Brown is in the conversation for being the most powerful defensive lineman in college football. He didn't miss a single tackle on 42 attempts all season and had a 90.6 pass-rushing grade.

© Kevin Jairaj-USA TODAY Sports

10. CLEVELAND BROWNS — WR CEEDEE LAMB, OKLAHOMA

Lamb's blend of size and production as an outside receiver may very well push him above Jeudy come draft day. It's an insanely deep receiver class, but Lamb's a different breed. He's broken an absurd 25 tackles on 58 catches this season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

My big board:

1a) Chase Young

1b) Isaiah Simmons

3) Jeffrey Okudah

4) Jerry Jeudy

5) Andrew Thomas.

I'd say trust me, but you shouldn't! :ols:

Just in case Dan is fishing on this thread for their next GM...😀  Mine would be:

1.  Chase Young

2a, 2b. 2c.  I. Simmons, J. Okudah, Ceedee Lamb

5.  Jerry Jeudy

Derrick Brown would be in that group, ditto Tua too but we don't need another DT or QB

Precombine here's what I think might happen in the top 5

1. Burrow

2. Young

3. D. Brown

4. A. Thomas

5. Tua

Bengals

Joe Burrow

QB, LSU

After the show Joe Burrow put on against Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl, is there any doubt left whether or not this is the pick for the Cincinnati Bengals? Burrow's magical season culminates in early January with a chance at a National Championship — yet the damage is already done to the rest of the NFL draft pool in 2020. Burrow is a top-shelf quarterback prospect and will provide the Bengals with a chance to usher in a new era.

Redskins

Chase Young

EDGE, Ohio State

Sure, the Washington Redskins just drafted Montez Sweat. But for as good as Sweat's off-season circuit was in 2019 and his play in 2018 at Mississippi State, well, he's no Chase Young. This selection is a best-player-available call and should be an absolute no brainer for Washington. This team needs difference makers, first and foremost, and Young is that.

Lions

Jeffrey Okudah

CB, Ohio State

The Detroit Lions are in a bit of a weird spot. They've come out of left field to secure the third-overall pick without really having a clear need that would match the value of it. In a perfect world, Detroit finds a trade partner who is hungry for another quarterback and picks up some extra selections. But if they stay put, the value of Ohio State’s Jeffrey Okudah feels the most appropriate — playing him across from Darius Slay brings an exciting cover combo in Detroit.

Giants

Andrew Thomas

OT, Georgia

The New York Giants’ offensive line is constructed to punch the opposition in the mouth — no offensive linemen in the 2020 draft does that quite as well as Andrew Thomas. He is a powerful road grader in the run game who would actually pair quite well with the strength of Daniel Jones as a passer as well as the blindside tackle.

Dolphins

Tua Tagovailoa

QB, Alabama

The Miami Dolphins set out this season to position themselves to draft a QB. The pick of Tua Tagovailoa at this point brings a bit more risk than what Burrow would have, but this is no consolation prize. Tagovailoa is a special talent and the presence of Ryan Fitzpatrick under contract in Miami affords the team the chance to redshirt Tagovailoa as the Dolphins continues to build out the rest of their roster.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

31 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

What is the general consensus on Chase Young vs. Nick Bosa prospect-wise (obviously we won't know how Young is as an NFL player until he is playing in the NFL).  

If Young is as good as Nick Bosa as a rookie, that will transform this D-line.  

IMO Young is a better prospect than either Bosa. PFF has him graded higher as well (they have Young with the highest grade of any defensive prospect ever IIRC)...they had Nick Bosa at 92 I think and Chase Young they have at somewhere around 96 (I'm just going on memory here). I think Young has everything Bosa had but is more explosive and has better hip/ankle flexibility to bend the edge. 

Edited by mistertim

My top 5 with Trent Williams coming back and signing a 2 to 3 year extension

1.   Chase Young

2.  Isaiah Simmons

3.  Jeff Okudah

4.  Jerry Jeudy

5.  Andrew Thomas

My top 5 if Trent Williams won't be back

1.  Chase Young

2.  Andrew Thomas

3.  Isaiah Simmons

4.   Jeff Okudah

5.  Jerry Jeudy

47 minutes ago, philibusters said:

My top 5 with Trent Williams coming back and signing a 2 to 3 year extension

1.   Chase Young

2.  Isaiah Simmons

3.  Jeff Okudah

4.  Jerry Jeudy

5.  Andrew Thomas

My top 5 if Trent Williams won't be back

1.  Chase Young

2.  Andrew Thomas

3.  Isaiah Simmons

4.   Jeff Okudah

5.  Jerry Jeudy

I would only take Andrew Thomas if we were able to trade down to the mid 1st and he was there. IMO he's nothing special and will probably be good but great or elite in the NFL; i think he'd be a huge reach in the top 5. This is a pretty mediocre Tackle class. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I would only take Andrew Thomas if we were able to trade down to the mid 1st and he was there. IMO he's nothing special and will probably be good but great or elite in the NFL; i think he'd be a huge reach in the top 5. This is a pretty mediocre Tackle class. 

I don't think his list (or mine) is reflective of "guys I'd take in the top 5". But rather the 5 guys who I'd like to have on the team for the Redskins.

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don't think his list (or mine) is reflective of "guys I'd take in the top 5". But rather the 5 guys who I'd like to have on the team for the Redskins.

True. I was just thinking that it would be much more likely that a team in the top 5 or so would want to jump up a few spots than a team in the 15 range would want to give up the capital to go all the way to 2. But I suppose we could always trade down twice. I just don't think Thomas is anything special and in a strong Tackle class he'd probably barely be a 1st rounder but because it's a weak class and it's a position of need for so many teams, it vaults his value way up. 

I'd be fine with Okudah in the top 5. Simmons to me is a possible top 10 guy but those hybrids are so difficult to predict where they'll go. I remember how great the scouting of Derwin James was but the mocks were all over the place because of his hybrid nature...anywhere from top 5 to bottom of the 1st and it ended up being closer to the latter. I could see the same thing happening with Simmons BUT with the success of James it may make more teams likely to take him top 10. I'd be ok with Jeudy top 10, but to be honest I may actually like CeeDee Lamb a bit more. 

Edited by mistertim

Hey just question to the people who have Isaiah Simmons over Jeff Okudah.

Would you take Jalen Ramsey or Derwin James?

Me personally I see alot more value in the corner.Simmons is a stud but to me you build a championship defense around 1) elite pass rushers 2)shut down corners. 

Edited by Ghedrick

1 minute ago, Ghedrick said:

Me personally I see alot more value in the corner.Simmons is a stud but to me you a build a championship defense around 1) elite pass rushers 2)shut down corners. 

I think that is a fair point.   A corner is usually slightly more valuable than an OLB.

3 minutes ago, Ghedrick said:

Me personally I see alot more value in the corner.Simmons is a stud but to me you a build a championship defense around 1) elite pass rushers 2)shut down corners. 

I think it really depends on how creative you are when using those hybrid players. With guys like James and Simmons you need a defensive coordinator who is inventive and can think out of the box and understands how to move the guy around to fit the situation. With a shutdown corner like Ramsey or Okudah it's much easier. You just tell them to stick on the other teams best receiver and stop them from getting the ball. The shutdown corner is basically plug and play, whereas the hybrid guy requires creativity to get your money's worth out of him. So the corner would probably be the safer option but the hybrid guy could be a more dangerous all around weapon if you know how to use him correctly. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ghedrick said:

Me personally I see alot more value in the corner.Simmons is a stud but to me you build a championship defense around 1) elite pass rushers 2)shut down corners. 

Derwin James. 

1 hour ago, Ghedrick said:

Remember seeing Adams dominate and take over when we played the Jets? Imagine a bigger faster one that can play FS well and DE well. That's one hell of a weapon.

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Derwin James. 

I got no issue with you pushing Simmons so this is me purely launching my point about Young to play off of your point about James.  I am ok with getting Simmons in a trade down as you've expressed.  

I am probably the Godfather of the Derwin James love fest back in the day on the draft thread and I whined to no end when we didn't take him in that draft.  😀  I'd even say Simmons will likely be slightly better than James.

Yet, to me I'd easily take Chase Young over Simmons.  As much as I've touted having a hybrid type of player in today's NFL, I still value a pass rusher as at least a peg higher as to it being a more valuable position.    And I also think Young is a distinctly better player.

I get some who haven't watched most of Chase's games but tuned in recently are disappointed that he didn't kill it last weekend among other things.  But IMO he was still good against Clemson.  Heck I've watched a bunch of Simmons games and he had a few I watched where he really didn't make any significant plays.  It happens to every player.  Heck K. Mack didn't have a sack in half of his games.   Chandler Jones who had a monster season had 4 games with no sacks.   

The thing that got me watching Chase Young was how much of an impact he makes even when he doesn't make sacks.  Here and there I've watched the coaches tape on the D line and Kerrigan rarely gets doubled teamed.  Kerrigan isn't a threat on many plays.  Yes, he's a good player and makes sacks.  But he isn't like Chase where he's disruptive a lot where the opposing offense has to account for him.  Chase IMO would make everyone on the D line better.

Cooley echoed a similar point recently saying something to the effect about how Chase effects the offense on so many plays -- sack or no sack.  Chase has gaudy stats.  But its not the stats that blew me away about him - its that you got to game plan against that dude and brings pressure even if he doesn't always close in on the sack.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2