Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Serious Question: Do you regret letting Cousins go?

skins4ever28

11 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

And the same people are droning on with the same debate, the question is Do you regret the Redskins letting Cosuins go , Not can Kirk Cousins win a Superbowl and be league MVP. Or are you people that delusional to think we are ever winning anything more than a wildcard game with Dan Snyder as the owner of this football team ? 🤣🤣🤣

See, untill you face the reality that a 8-8 season with our QB throwing for 4000+ yards is in fact OUR SUPERBOWL you people will continue to live this pipe dream that some day this organization is going win it all. IT NOT HAPPENING !!! Never, the ceiling for this franchise is being competitive not being dominate and with Cousins we were not only competitive every Sunday we were dangerous.  

See, that's where the fundamental split is. You are happy with an 8-8 season and staying in relevant mediocrity. Kudos to you, it's definitely easier to be happy in life with lower expectations.

I do not find the same satisfaction in that. I want more. Do I think that we'll go deep in the playoffs under Snyder? No, it's not likely. But I know it's impossible if the team doubles down on it's mistakes by spending premium money on a QB we couldn't afford or do anything with.

So to answer the question again, do I regret the team not spending premium money on a bandaid/anchor that would ensure the team never goes further or crumbles and rebuilds? No, I don't. For me to regret it, I'd have to believe that Kirk Cousins could take us to the Super Bowl. I don't believe it, and neither do you.

5 hours ago, SkinFanInMinn said:

I wasn't comparing how they are playing against each other at all, just people's expectations of the two.

Cousins expectation- fulfilled. Didn't do enough to win an important game. Not saying the loss was his fault, just saying he didn't WIN the game with heroics commensurate with his pay scale.

Haskins expectation-Fulfilled. He didn't get killed out there.

30 points...needed 38.

Still rooting for Vikes to miss playoffs and make 2020 a fun off season to watch.

3 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Yep last night was Kirk in a nut shell.  He was the reason the Vikes were even in that game

Or it could have been a pick 6 that you will never see Wilson make again, or a Treadwell TD where there wasn't a Seattle player in the frame the coverage was so busted or it could have been a fumble by the Seahawk rookie WR with 9 minutes left in the game.

If 2 of those things don't happen that game is a blowout, all 3 happening gave the Vikes a chance.

1 hour ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

And the same people are droning on with the same debate, the question is Do you regret the Redskins letting Cosuins go , Not can Kirk Cousins win a Superbowl and be league MVP.

Let's start small with can he win a playoff game or beat a contender in a regular-season game, he's had a couple of chances this season and has failed each time.

Their only a game ahead of the Rams now so he should probably worry about that although the Rams have a nasty schedule to finish the season.

2 hours ago, Skin'emAlive said:

The judgement has been clear for years now. Cousins is a good qb that can win against everyone but the best. You can build around a qb like that, and win against most, but you can’t expect him to save you in the clutch. That’s why you don’t give him that contract. 

The dude just engineered a 20 point comeback like two weeks ago but yeah he's not clutch.

1 hour ago, JSSkinz said:

Let's start small with can he win a playoff game or beat a contender in a regular-season game, he's had a couple of chances this season and has failed each time.

So he's the Dan and Bruce of QBs. That's been the Redskins for decades.

Except Kirk actually wins every other game.

In fact the Vikings require KC to have over 110 QB rating to win a single game this year. 8-0 in thoae games. 0-4 when he's under 110. What other team requires the QB to be that good to have any chance of winning? Surely not the Patriots over the past few years.

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

The dude just engineered a 20 point comeback like two weeks ago but yeah he's not clutch.

Does Kirk gets to choose what game he needs to be clutch in and in what game he can fail in? I guess he had a better chance against the Broncos a team that is below .500. 

Anyways, two tries to get 3 yards to move the chains and the game was no the line. Kirk failed. That is NOT clutch. Clutch is when he doesn't have a play he runs it himself. Makes something out of nothing, puts the team on his back! Again he had two chance to do that. He didn't. There are QBs who are being paid less that can run for 3 yards to get a 1st down. You and I both know Kirk can run. Value for your money. That is what you have to ask yourself. 

1 minute ago, zskins said:

Does Kirk gets to choose what game he needs to be clutch in and in what game he can fail in? I guess he had a better chance against the Broncos a team that is below .500. 

Anyways, two tries to get 3 yards to move the chains and the game was no the line. Kirk failed. That is NOT clutch. Clutch is when he doesn't have a play he runs it himself. Makes something out of nothing, puts the team on his back! Again he had two chance to do that. He didn't. There are QBs who are being paid less that can run for 3 yards to get a 1st down. You and I both know Kirk can run. Value for your money. That is what you have to ask yourself. 

You guys shut down Cousins earlier this year. 

12 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

Their only a game ahead of the Rams now so he should probably worry about that although the Rams have a nasty schedule to finish the season.

Ahhh ok,  its all so clear to me now. Considering this team is on the cusp of SuperBowl glory year in and year out clearly Kirk Cousins was holding this team back from the greatness Alex Smith or Dwayne Haskins will deliver.

3 hours ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Kirk Cousins was holding this team back from the greatness Alex Smith or Dwayne Haskins will deliver.

But that was never the debate, it's just that many have moved the goalposts.  The original debate that goes back a few years mostly had to do with if he worth the largest fully guaranteed contract in NFL history and did he want to play here.

The question that the OP presented in this thread is do we regret letting him go which has now turned into using Alex Smith and Haskins as a reason we should have never let him go.

Its hard to keep up with all the narratives.  I would take him over Alex in a heartbeat if I had known the choice was one or the other, that choice wasn't presented and I can't read the future.

No, I don't regret letting him go. I was on his bandwagon from jump and then jumped off after he screamed at Bruce Allen on the field after the game. Regardless of my opinion of Bruce.....Kirks actions made him look like a ****. Kirk is about Kirk and no one else. Not team oriented......that IMHO is a fail worse than pick sixes every game.

21 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

Or it could have been a pick 6 that you will never see Wilson make again, or a Treadwell TD where there wasn't a Seattle player in the frame the coverage was so busted or it could have been a fumble by the Seahawk rookie WR with 9 minutes left in the game.

If 2 of those things don't happen that game is a blowout, all 3 happening gave the Vikes a chance.

You can do that with every game find 2 or 3 plays that had a big effect. Doesn't change the fact that Kirk played a really good game against a really good team who is really good at home. But once again with the game on the line he didn't get it done. As I said perfect display of who Kirk Cousins is.  

7 hours ago, tmandoug1 said:

No, I don't regret letting him go. I was on his bandwagon from jump and then jumped off after he screamed at Bruce Allen on the field after the game. Regardless of my opinion of Bruce.....Kirks actions made him look like a ****. Kirk is about Kirk and no one else. Not team oriented......that IMHO is a fail worse than pick sixes every game.

When did he scream at Bruce Allen? I remember him saying, "How you like me now?" to Scott McCloughan, but never anything to Bruce Allen. 

P.S. I wish he HAD screamed at Bruce Allen. 

Shouldn't the thread title be "Do you regret franchising Cousins in 2016?" Another question... do you think he would have signed to stay here if we had offered him the same as the Jets at $90M 3 yrs. in 2018? I can understand "yes" to the former, but if he didn't take the Jets deal, what makes anyone think he would stay here under Bruce Allen unless we offered him more? Unless anyone here thinks Kirk is worth $93M, I don't understand the "letting him go" part.

@JSSkinzYou can say that stuff about any game in the NFL.  Mistakes, blown coverages are part of the game.  Yeah Wilson may not do that again, just like Wilson will probably not broadcast, let alone throw an INT in the SB, on the two yard line, when he has a RB like Marshawn Lynch.....if he ever gets the chance again.  And I don't think it will be this year because their D is not good enough.  And I bet Rodgers won't take the beatdown he took from San Fran two weeks ago where he looked pedestrian at best. 

And what is the narrative on Cousin's after this particular game. I am listening to NLF network, and ESPN and what I am hearing is 3 TD's from Cousin's plus a FG should have been sufficient to win that game for any QB, on the road, in that particularly loud stadium.  But if that QB's defense gives up 200 yards on the ground allows 37 points, chances are, no matter who the QB is your going to lose.  

You know what the story is not over yet. I thought the play calling by the Vikes at the end of game was horrible.  But that is part of the game too.  Mistakes.  The reason they did not punt with over two minutes left is because their D sucks. I am going out on a limb and say despite the Vikings D, LOL.....they will get into the playoffs, and probably make a run. I would love to see a rematch in Seattle.  

If Mental  Gymnastics was a Olympic sport most of you guys would be taking home more gold then the 92 dream team

Related image

i'll just leave this here once again and let the numbers speak for themselves 

Kirk Cousins Career Stats 

•  
  •  
  •  
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% 1D Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate QBR Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% 4QC GWD AV
Career       90 85 42-41-2 2045 3060 66.8 23536 152 5.0 69 2.3 1116 81 7.7 7.7 11.5 261.5 97.0   168 1267 6.90 6.88 5.2 10 13 55
6 yrs WAS     62 57 26-30-1 1372 2096 65.5 16206 99 4.7 55 2.6 763 81 7.7 7.5 11.8 261.4 93.7   106 847 6.98 6.75 4.8 8 12 43
2 yrs MIN     28 28 16-11-1 673 964 69.8 7330 53 5.5 14 1.5 353 75 7.6 8.0 10.9 261.8 104.2   62 420 6.73 7.15 6.0 2 1 12
2012 24 WAS qb 12 3 1 1-0-0 33 48 68.8 466 4 8.3 3 6.3 20 77 9.7 8.6 14.1 155.3 101.6 77.7 3 27 8.61 7.53 5.9 1 1 2
2013 25 WAS qb 12 5 3 0-3-0 81 155 52.3 854 4 2.6 7 4.5 42 62 5.5 4.0 10.5 170.8 58.4 41.7 5 32 5.14 3.67 3.1     -2
2014 26 WAS qb 8 6 5 1-4-0 126 204 61.8 1710 10 4.9 9 4.4 75 81 8.4 7.4 13.6 285.0 86.4 52.0 8 70 7.74 6.77 3.8     4
2015 27 WAS QB 8 16 16 9-7-0 379 543 69.8 4166 29 5.3 11 2.0 205 78 7.7 7.8 11.0 260.4 101.6 71.7 26 186 6.99 7.14 4.6 2 3 12
2016* 28 WAS QB 8 16 16 8-7-1 406 606 67.0 4917 25 4.1 12 2.0 227 80 8.1 8.0 12.1 307.3 97.2 66.1 23 190 7.52 7.45 3.7 4 4 15
2017 29 WAS QB 8 16 16 7-9-0 347 540 64.3 4093 27 5.0 13 2.4 194 74 7.6 7.5 11.8 255.8 93.9 54.2 41 342 6.46 6.38 7.1 1 4 12
2018 30 MIN QB 8 16 16 8-7-1 425 606 70.1 4298 30 5.0 10 1.7 218 75 7.1 7.3 10.1 268.6 99.7 58.2 40 262 6.25 6.48 6.2 1 0 12
2019 31 MIN QB 8 12 12 8-4-0 248 358 69.3 3032 23 6.4 4 1.1 135 66 8.5 9.3 12.2 252.7 111.9 61.7 22 158 7.56 8.30 5.8 1 1  

On 12/3/2019 at 6:18 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

They are a one man band at receiver (until Thielen returns) with Diggs who basically cost them the game yesterday.  Bad O line.  Kirk is very good this season.  Cook is killer good but he got hurt yesterday.  The defense is pedestrian which surprises me for a Zimmer coached team.   In spite of all of that, I do think they make the post season.  Beating the 10-2 Seattle team on the road isn't easy, they almost did it though, good game.   I think Seattle is a sneaky SB threat. 

Top pass rush.. Good safety top Corner... They arent perfecr on either side but they have a ton of talent- KEENUM took them to the NFC championship- why are we still making excuses for Captn Kirk Grossman??

Kyle Rudolph bailed him out with miracle catches and superb TE play... Not sure why both of ya left him off the list of studs Minnie has... Hes probably the best TE in the NFL or right behing Kelsey.

But still...nah

16 hours ago, skinsmania123 said:

I would love to see a rematch in Seattle.  

Listening to sports radio around the Twin Cities they're already talking about the possibility of a rematch and hopefully having Thielen, Cook for the entire game, their left tackle for the entire game, and hopefully without the self-destruct in the third quarter.  The consensus on the radio here is definitely the issue is with the defense not Cousins.  I know some like to tout how all the Vikings fans are turning against him, but that's just not the case.  In the list of concerns for the Vikings this year, he's definitely down the list.

26 minutes ago, SkinFanInMinn said:

Listening to sports radio around the Twin Cities they're already talking about the possibility of a rematch and hopefully having Thielen, Cook for the entire game, their left tackle for the entire game, and hopefully without the self-destruct in the third quarter.  The consensus on the radio here is definitely the issue is with the defense not Cousins.  I know some like to tout how all the Vikings fans are turning against him, but that's just not the case.  In the list of concerns for the Vikings this year, he's definitely down the list.

Thanks for sharing that.  If you go on YouTube you have these local Minny want to be sports analyst and they are blaming Cousin's.  But there was a sports analyst I was listening to Monday on ESPN discussing the whole "shrinking in primetime" aspect of Cousin's referring to it as the "lazy narrative" because he is not doing what he used to do.  For some reason human beings, as a whole, form an opinion and regardless of what they see, they revert back to the original strong emotional opinion. If you think about it, Kirk's failures and shrinking in the past was due to his propensity to throw the inopportune INT or take the sack or fumble, trying to make something happen.  This never gave the Skins a chance to win the game and he did it with Minny last year a bit but IMO he had questionable support from his O line in which is better this year.   The whole letdown for Minny is their D.  And if they want to win they need to make some adjustments.

But if you take Cousin'sook at his progression, his growth, every single year it is impressive.  But all these QB's, even the great ones, need solid OL protection. Rodgers looked horrendous against San Fran because his O line functioned like turnstiles in that game. They were dominated.  And earlier in the year he had receivers dropping balls.   AND they all need decent receivers.  For Cousin's Thielan's hamstring issues are hampering them right now. Not that his TE's are not coming though at times but he needs his best WR back.  And in the biggest game of the year to date IMO,  Cook while great all year, fumbled twice and lost one.  You would never say that he "shrank" in a big game.  But he did.

Look at Tom Brady this year. It  not so much his age causing the decline in production, it is because he is the GOAT and is unwilling to throw the ball when his receivers are covered up.  Plus with a decent D you don't have to force things. I watched him the other day and I was like he  has NO ONE open to throw to. They are not going anywhere if they don't solve that problem.  

@skinsmania123

Not coming at you in a condescending way, but if forced to consistently highlight other positions or groups on the team year in and year out as why a particular season isn’t great, doesn’t that in some way give credence to argument that he’s good, not great (can be debated) or elite? 

I think everyone feels he’s good, even the Kirk detractors, then the argument becomes more nuanced/opinion based when pealing back layers. Personally, I thought he was above average when a Skins, but now believe he’s separated from the pack of average to above and is now good (a top 12 type).

Just to provide additional perspective, I’m one who wouldn’t pay any good QB elite money and rather get guys like Dalton, Tannehill, or Bridgewater (If team was in position to do so) for much less and go from there. I’d only pay the elite... elite money. Totally opinion though. Just mentioning this to share that it’s not all about Kirk for me, but believing the NFL has a flawed system in evaluating QBs and assigning guys 12-15% of their cap. 

He's the best QB we've had since Theisman which is before I was born. He was drafted here and excelled despite a **** situation he was given. 

Yes, it was a mistake letting him go. Yes, it was a case study in player mismanagement from the start. 

To really **** us up, we made a bad decision exponentially worse by trading for Alex Smith and handing him the $90 million that somehow, our best in 30+ years wasn't worth. 

2 hours ago, SkinFanInMinn said:

I know some like to tout how all the Vikings fans are turning against him, but that's just not the case.  In the list of concerns for the Vikings this year, he's definitely down the list.

But do they consider how many $$ are expended on KC that could be used to build a stronger roster. IS his money and play offsetting the diminished capability of the team to field quality players. Does KC's play overcome deficits....could Keenam had better results with a lower cap hit with the added capacity the difference between KC and Keenum would have bought.  It's not one dimensional..KC's plays Good VS Great. Its a TEAM play that he should be measured against. You can't argue that KC's salary doesn't effect other capacity elsewhere on the team.

So far Keenum and his TEAM has outperformed KC and his TEAM. KC has NOT elevated TEAM Play IMHO

Archived