Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

3-13 Finish, and #3 Draft Pick...Noooo...Please Tell Me The Gints Can Win More Games Than Us!

zCommander

1 minute ago, hail2skins said:

Saw that this is the first time in the HISTORY OF THE FRANCHISE that we did not score a TD in three straight games......lordy! That probably includes when the forward pass wasn't a thing...….then again, it really isn't a thing for this team either...……...

So you're saying that this team that Bruce has assembled is record-setting?

We're close!

Honestly I could care less if they get the #1 pick. Dissecting all the scenarios on how they could possibly get the First pick is a loser mentality. Until there are adults running the organization the results will be the same. It’s the definition of insanity. 

32 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I’d still rather trade down if we’re that high.

we play our cards right when can get an elite corner and a potential pro bowl tackle.

If you're in a position to take Chase Young you take him, period; don't try to get cute with it. He's the most elite and complete pass rusher to come out in recent memory. The only way I would trade down with him on the board is if we somehow managed to be at #1 and a team lower down was looking to trade up with us and as a result whoever has the #2 pick offered us picks to swap with them so they could make sure they get their QB and we'd still get Young. He's just that goddamn good. 

I've been as critical of this FO as anyone but their college scouting IMO has been good.  Even if some think Kyle Smith is overrated -- at the very least he isn't a moron.  And IMO you'd have to be a moron to pass on Chase Young if he is there at your pick.    Don't get me wrong its possible they screw it up by drafting for need like going for Andrew Thomas. But my 11 year old son could figure out Chase Young is a stud by just causally watching a college football game or two -- I think Kyle will figure it out. 

8 minutes ago, mistertim said:

If you're in a position to take Chase Young you take him, period; don't try to get cute with it. He's the most elite and complete pass rusher to come out in recent memory. The only way I would trade down with him on the board is if we somehow managed to be at #1 and a team lower down was looking to trade up with us and as a result whoever has the #2 pick offered us picks to swap with them so they could make sure they get their QB and we'd still get Young. He's just that goddamn good. 

I’m not opposed but he alone won’t change this team. People mentioned Mack but he was mired in mediocrity in Oakland for years.  If we’re somehow able to get 2 firsts and a second for him without having to drop out of the top 6 then I’m down. Hell, even if we drop down a couple spots and get Jeudy, who people say is the same kind of generational talent, I would certainly do that.

4 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I’m not opposed but he alone won’t change this team. People mentioned Mack but he was mired in mediocrity in Oakland for years.  If we’re somehow able to get 2 firsts and a second for him without having to drop out of the top 6 then I’m down. Hell, even if we drop down a couple spots and get Jeudy, who people say is the same kind of generational talent, I would certainly do that.

Jeudy is an outstanding talent and I certainly wouldn't be at all against having him on this team if we don't get Young, but IMO he isn't a talent on the same level as Chase Young. Young is more or less the Calvin Johnson of pass rushing prospects. A complete and utter freak who basically can't be defended against, who also has refined moves/technique, as well as an excellent work ethic and attitude. 

No single player alone will change this team, whether it's a WR, CB, or pass rusher. But at that point if you have the chance to get an almost sure-fire superstar at a super important position, you do it and then continue to build. Passing on a generational talent because he won't immediately turn your franchise around would be foolish IMO. 

15 minutes ago, carex said:

the Skins will be very high in the draft and should trade down for multiple picks

I'd generally prefer to get an elite player up at the top unless someone were to offer us a big time haul of picks. This draft is loaded at the top with talent. If we're in a position to get Chase Young then you take him immediately and you hire Usain Bolt to run your card up to the table. I'd also take Okudah or Jeudy high as well, though IMO they aren't prospects on the same level as Young so if there's a QB there that someone really wants and will give us a bunch of picks to move up for then I'd be more inclined to do it.

I don't think there's a Tackle truly worthy of a top 10 pick in this class, let alone top 3 (which is where we're likely to be). Thomas I like some stuff about but he's been a bit of a disappointment and there are some relatively glaring holes in his game; same with Wirfs. 

But knowing our FO we'll have the number 2 pick, draft for need, and take Thomas over Young. And I will throw a chair at my TV and proceed to drink a full gallon of tequila to try and ease the pain. We'll then get to watch Young become a perennial All-Pro and Thomas become a mediocre starter who eventually gets traded for a 3rd rounder.

Smoot of all people echoing the point I've been making for weeks on the draft thread -- he goes look at the 49ers, 2nd pick in the draft last year, added Bosa, look at their defense now.  We need the same rodeo with Chase Young. 

Smoot now going on and on about this and what Chase Young would do for this team, love it.  Now if it only happens..

27 minutes ago, carex said:

the Skins will be very high in the draft and should trade down for multiple picks

Often I'd agree but not this time if they can draft Chase Young.  We can use a superstar for a change.  He'd IMO do wonders for this defense. 

55 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've been as critical of this FO as anyone but their college scouting IMO has been good.  Even if some think Kyle Smith is overrated -- at the very least he isn't a moron.  And IMO you'd have to be a moron to pass on Chase Young if he is there at your pick.    Don't get me wrong its possible they screw it up by drafting for need like going for Andrew Thomas. But my 11 year old son could figure out Chase Young is a stud by just causally watching a college football game or two -- I think Kyle will figure it out. 

Kyle is a moron lol. He was part of trading for Ha Ha and trading up for Sweat. **** him.

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Smoot of all people echoing the point I've been making for weeks on the draft thread -- he goes look at the 49ers, 2nd pick in the draft last year, added Bosa, look at their defense now.  We need the same rodeo with Chase Young. 

Smoot now going on and on about this and what Chase Young would do for this team, love it.  Now if it only happens..

Often I'd agree but not this time if they can draft Chase Young.  We can use a superstar for a change.  He'd IMO do wonders for this defense. 

Agreed. While I know one player is unlikely to completely turn around a team in one year, I think the impact of having a superstar at a super important position is really underestimated. An elite pass rusher can turn a good front into a terrifying one that shuts down offenses. An elite shutdown corner can sometimes take away an entire half of the field and remove an offense's best weapon game after game. 

I think adding Chase Young to this D front could transform it from very good into something that gives OCs and QBs nightmares. 

That is, of course, assuming that we actually hire a competent DC this offseason. Which is not a foregone conclusion unfortunately 

11 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I'd generally prefer to get an elite player up at the top unless someone were to offer us a big time haul of picks. This draft is loaded at the top with talent. If we're in a position to get Chase Young then you take him immediately and you hire Usain Bolt to run your card up to the table. I'd also take Okudah or Jeudy high as well, though IMO they aren't prospects on the same level as Young so if there's a QB there that someone really wants and will give us a bunch of picks to move up for then I'd be more inclined to do it.

I don't think there's a Tackle truly worthy of a top 10 pick in this class, let alone top 3 (which is where we're likely to be). Thomas I like some stuff about but he's been a bit of a disappointment and there are some relatively glaring holes in his game; same with Wirfs. 

But with our FO we'll have the number 2 pick, draft for need, and take Thomas over Young. And I will throw a chair at my TV and proceed to drink a full gallon of tequila to try and ease the pain. 

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Often I'd agree but not this time if they can draft Chase Young.  We can use a superstar for a change.  He's IMO do wonders for this defense. 

I'm superstitious in an odd way.  I don't trust trying for greatness.  I feel like if the Skins ever try to go to BPA we;ll end up with a run where the best play available will always be at the same position

1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

Nobody thinks Jeudy is the same type of talent as Young. Nobody uses the term "generational talent" in regards to Jeudy. He's a very good prospect who might not even be the best WR coming out this year. 

Point is there is no comparison between Jeudy and Young. 

20 minutes ago, carex said:

I'm superstitious in an odd way.  I don't trust trying for greatness.  I feel like if the Skins ever try to go to BPA we;ll end up with a run where the best play available will always be at the same position

With our FO and organization I can certainly understand the skepticism. But IMO Chase Young is just one of those guys that's as close to a sure thing as you're gonna get and anyone would be out of their minds to pass on him for anything other than an outstanding QB prospect if that's your #1 need. I mentioned earlier that to me he's basically the Calvin Johnson of pass rushing prospects. No matter how ****ty a team he goes to he'll still be more or less unstoppable. 

Bosa has been instrumental in transforming SF's good front into a truly menacing one and I think the same could happen here with Chase Young, except that I think Young is a better prospect than Bosa. He has all the same great hand use, power, and technique as Bosa but he's more explosive with looser hips so he bends the edge better.

Imagine if Tua turns out to be a Mahomes type and we pass on him. Young is a potentially great player but he isn't a QB. If you put Mahomes on this crappy team right now they could probably win 7 or 8 games. If you put Young on this team it's still garbage. 

Therefore I want 1 win and the 1st pick in the draft. If we win 1 game then Dan may make a move to bring in a GM and give him full control. That is what this team truly needs.

1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

The Raiders from what I recall didn’t have a killer D line though. The Bears have a killer interior. You add Mack to that and their defense was elevated. The 49ers have a really good interior.  Added Bosa and now it’s special.

Chase Young on an island wouldn’t do much. Young with Allen and Payne and hopefully emerging Sweat can be really really good.

with the Bengals schedule I think 1 win might be one to many to get the first pick.  As of right now it seems to be Bengals, Jets, Dolphins, then either us or the Falcons.  Course the next game will change things up.

If the NFL thinks multiple teams are starting to treat tanking as a viable strategy when they want parity how long it would be  till they institute a lottery

4 minutes ago, Alexa said:

Imagine if Tua turns out to be a Mahomes type and we pass on him. Young is a potentially great player but he isn't a QB. If you put Mahomes on this crappy team right now they could probably win 7 or 8 games. If you put Young on this team it's still garbage. 

Therefore I want 1 win and the 1st pick in the draft. If we win 1 game then Dan may make a move to bring in a GM and give him full control. That is what this team truly needs.

And if Burrow turns out to be a Peyton type and we pass on him...

There are always "what if's". Mahomes is a ludicrous talent but there wasn't any guarantee or even specific indication that he'd be anywhere near this good in the NFL. He had some really cool college tape and obviously had crazy amounts of talent but he also had some issues in his game, which is why he fell to 10, and probably why KC opted to let him sit and learn for a year. He wasn't lauded as some sort of can't miss QB prospect. 

I like Tua but I do have some worries about his health as well as the fact that he's been playing on an absolutely loaded team with an excellent OL and 2 upcoming 1st round WRs...one of them likely being a top 5 pick and both possibly being top 15. If Haskins starts the rest of the season and shows no improvement or regresses and we had the #1 pick I'd be open to possibly taking Tua (though to me Burrow is almost as intriguing but also has a smaller sample size). 

But it probably won't matter as we're unlikely to have the #1 overall pick unless we lose out and Cincy and the Jets manage to win 2 or more games. If Haskins shows steady improvement through the season then I'd rather roll with him and pick a generational prospect in Chase Young. IMO Tua is not a generational type prospect. Neither is Jeudy or Okudah and definitely not Thomas. 

3 minutes ago, carex said:

with the Bengals schedule I think 

If the NFL thinks multiple teams are starting to treat tanking as a viable strategy when they want parity how long it would be  till they institute a lottery

The fascinating thing is the Dolphins are trying to tank.  The Skins and Bengals are absolutely not.  

Yet the Dolphins won today.  

The Jets are not trying to tank and will give a real go to win against us.  The loss to the Dolphins looked a bit fluky.  They had better stats across the board except had more penalties and one turnover. I confess I didn’t see a snap of this game, but it looks like they could have won it, or had opportunities to win.  

Archived