Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

12 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

yeah, I know Theismann won us our first Super Bowl and was a very good QB for us...but he has always rubbed me the wrong way. 

I could see him granting permission to Haskins to wear #7 for no other reason but to re-enter relevance for a news cycle. He did the same thing when Smith's leg disintegrated last year...he reveled in the comparisons. 

It's not a huge knock on the guy, but he LOVES attention so I anticipate that he will always act in a way that garners as much of that as possible. 

I'm a HUGE Joe Theismann fan... something about the QB of the Skins when I first became a fan in the 80s... I remember when Danny Woe-ful wore #7 in practice in like 03/04... but there was fan reaction so he dropped the number...

That being said... I'd like Joey to endorse Haskins wearing #7... and I sure hope he lives up to the number.  Joey is no Hall of Famer, but he's Redskin Royalty.

I never buy jersey of new players... only the old school... Joe Theismann and Darrell Green are the only jersey's I'll ever own... so in a way I'll already have my Haskins jersey.. it would be neat to see #7 all over the stands!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 minute ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

@FunBunch7 makes sense. 

I just don't like that new players or even the fans look to the older guys for "endorsement" when it comes to numbers. I understand it, but I don't like it. 

If a jersey number is retired, it's off limits. Otherwise, the current guys should have their pick. 

I feel like doing so is the new player acknowledging the team's history...a history that tends to be extremely important to that team's fans.

Just now, TD_washingtonredskins said:

@FunBunch7 makes sense. 

I just don't like that new players or even the fans look to the older guys for "endorsement" when it comes to numbers. I understand it, but I don't like it. 

If a jersey number is retired, it's off limits. Otherwise, the current guys should have their pick. 

Technically the only retired Redskins jersey # is 33... even Darrell Green's #28 isn't officially retired... but there are several that are "out of circulation"... 7, 21, 28, 44, 81...

I'm okay with Haskins wearing #7 I guess... if it empowers him... maybe since it hasn't been worn in 33 years it should make him feel even more pride in it...

28 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

Oh, and we'll be firing Jay after this season.  So Haskins' first year will be with a lame duck head coach who didn't want him, and his next few years will be with a head coach who didn't pick him, but was brought in to coach him up.

Haskins is not being put in a position to succeed.

This is the other side of the coin. IMO, Haskins was good value for us at 15, so it’s hard to argue against the pick.  But yeah, the scenario you just described seems most likely given the Redskins being the Redskins.  

3 minutes ago, FunBunch7 said:

Technically the only retired Redskins jersey # is 33... even Darrell Green's #28 isn't officially retired... but there are several that are "out of circulation"... 7, 21, 28, 44, 81...

I'm okay with Haskins wearing #7 I guess... if it empowers him... maybe since it hasn't been worn in 33 years it should make him feel even more pride in it...

I'm aware of the policy, I just think it's dumb. Either retire them or don't. But this unofficial status is odd. 

To me, Monk, Riggins, and Green (Super Bowls and HOF) should be retired along with Baugh. Outside of that, let the others be available. 

5 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I feel like doing so is the new player acknowledging the team's history...a history that tends to be extremely important to that team's fans.

Like I said, I get why a 21-year old would do it. It's respectful. But the fact that they feel like they need to is what I hate. 

Just now, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I'm aware of the policy, I just think it's dumb. Either retire them or don't. But this unofficial status is odd. 

To me, Monk, Riggins, and Green (Super Bowls and HOF) should be retired along with Baugh. Outside of that, let the others be available. 

I agree and I would add Theismann to that list... like I said... not a H.O.F.er, but Redskin Royalty nonetheless.

But since it is not officially retired I guess I'm willing to try anything to get this thing turned around.  Every draft I hope that we draft "our" next Peyton manning or Tom Brady... so hopeful that Haksins can be our QB for the next 15 years...

4 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Like I said, I get why a 21-year old would do it. It's respectful. But the fact that they feel like they need to is what I hate. 

If they're doing it out of respect, there really is nothing to hate about a young kid feeling a need to be respectful.

If they're doing it out of tradition, there's really nothing to hate about that, either. The NFL is what it is due in part in the value placed on its traditions.

If they're doing it because retired players will throw a hissy fit if they are not asked, I would hate the retired player lol...

18 minutes ago, Art said:

Yeah.   This is right, thoughtful and not totally beholden to abjectly fictional leaks that there was any abnormal dissension within the team regarding draft path.   Reasonable people within the Redskins organization felt we could get better trading for Rosen and using our picks differently.    Maybe on Sweat.   Reasonable people felt Haskins wasn't a slam dunk and we could get better maybe moving down and stockpiling.   Reasonable people felt Haskins was too good a value at the most important position of need on any team that has UTTERLY NO POSSIBLE FUTURE and to take him when he fell.

No one is going to rush him out on Week 1 unless he's breathtakingly ahead of all competitors and EVEN THEN he will start on the bench, and we'll watch Keenam spike himself three times before we shout loud enough to get him out there.    But people want to believe Snyder loves him SOOOOOOOOO UTTERLLLLLY MUUUUUUCH he DID NOT TRADE UP FOR HIM but WILL START HIM AT ALL COSTS, all because someone with ZERO contacts within the organization fictionally predicted and reported it.   People be dumb.

I missed this analysis. 

I was kinda meh in the Haskins pick last night. But this morning I realized he really doesnt have to do much to be the best QB in the NFC East. We might have the best defense if not atleast 2nd best. I'm just going to take the approach this season that if we can be competitive despite our lack of offensive weapons, we have a high ceiling moving forward once we add that.

5 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

This doesn't quite fit the narrative lol...it doesn't dispell it, either, though. But it does put a dent in the idea that Snyder is forcing "his" QB on a coach who never wanted him.

It also puts a dent in the belief by some here that Haskins' "body language" showed that he didn't want to be drafted by the dysfunctional Skins.

16 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Remember reading about a team tradition I loved.  

When a RB runs for 100 yards, he owes the OL a dinner.  

I learned about it from a WaPo article, when Rock Cartwright had to do it, once.  He apologized that it had to be a cheap dinner. Think he said he took them to a buffet.  

Haven't heard about it, lately, but I'd love it if the tradition was still in place.  

19 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

I finally figured out which NFL player Dwayne Haskins reminds me of.

Ben Roethlisberger.

If he's half as hard to bring down as B-Roth in his prime then we've done well... he made that Pittsburgh O Line look way better than it was.

3 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

This doesn't quite fit the narrative lol...it doesn't dispell it, either, though. But it does put a dent in the idea that Snyder is forcing "his" QB on a coach who never wanted him.

It also puts a dent in the belief by some here that Haskins' "body language" showed that he didn't want to be drafted by the dysfunctional Skins.

I will give Finlay some credit.   He actually does appear to have sources who have badge access to Redskins Park.   And, yeah, after hearing Sheehan scream about how Gruden wanted Rosen all morning, this doesn't seem to jibe, does it?   I mean, a better rated prospect who has a better arm, is thicker, is more accurate, played at a better program, who had better numbers, who didn't turn the ball over a ton, who is a lot like Dalton and Cousins in style, couldn't possibly have been a Gruden-desired-player.   Everyone knows the Grudens like athletes.

Like Brad Johnson.

First off, the whole "he struggles when under pressure up the middle" is such a useless fact. Guess what...EVERY QB in the history of professional football has struggled when under pressure directly up the middle. See Peyton Manning vs. the Seahawks in the Super Bowl.  Or Tom Brady vs. the Giants. Or Cam Newton vs. the Broncos. Or Jared Goff vs. the Patriots. Or or or...the list goes on and on.

Secondly, Haskins 40 time doesn't mean anything. How often are QBs ever running in a straight line? He actually has a little bit of wiggle in him and he's so big and powerful he can shrug off defenders. I see some Ben Roethlisberger in him.

Thirdly, ANYONE who compares him to Jamarcus Russell is just straight up ignorant if not flat out racist. He is nothing like Russell. Haskins can read defenses, adjust protections, and make NFL throws. He's also by all counts has high football character, work ethic, and comes from a good family.

Overall the more I read/watch the more I like. I don't think he's a slam dunk prospect like a Luck type, but the talent is there. He needs some work and polishing, and ideally he sits for most if not all of this year, but there is definitely a chance he can be our franchise guy for the next decade. Now its up to the organization to coach him up and develop him. Contrary to popular belief, it takes a village to raise a QB and for most QBs their success is dependent on the support they get from the franchise. Aaron Rodgers would have been a bust if he got drafted by the Browns.

23 minutes ago, hawgboy said:

If he's half as hard to bring down as B-Roth in his prime then we've done well... he made that Pittsburgh O Line look way better than it was.

Good point. We haven't seen a QB of his size in a while (if ever). It will be interesting to see if he is able to extend plays like Ben and what effect it has on the O-Line's play (perceived or otherwise).

2 minutes ago, Larry said:

Remember reading about a team tradition I loved.  

When a RB runs for 100 yards, he owes the OL a dinner.  

I learned about it from a WaPo article, when Rock Cartwright had to do it, once.  He apologized that it had to be a cheap dinner. Think he said he took them to a buffet.  

Haven't heard about it, lately, but I'd love it if the tradition was still in place.  

Yep...maybe it's because I'm older, but I value a lot of the tradition that is part of the NFL's DNA...the link these traditions provide to the past puts a smile on my face.

53 minutes ago, justice98 said:

The Rodgers/Mahomes analogy doesnt work because they had established winning QBs in front of them.  You can have a plan to let them sit the whole year (or more) because they werent gonna beat out the incumbent no matter what.  I feel like we're more the Browns than we are those Packers or Chiefs.  If he's better than the guy in front of him, let him play. 

I subscribe to the approach of, as long as he's not getting his brains beat in, let him play if he's good enough.  Provided Keenum doesnt have them 7-1 at the halfway point or something crazy.  Game reps and experience will only help him for when they fill all the holes that are left.  

But I dont think Haskins is that raw.  He's inexperienced, but he knows how to play the position.  In terms of actual game reps, he's no less experienced than Kyler Murray or Mitch Trubisky were in recent years.  Nor is he a mess in terms of mechanics or anything like that.  

I agree with you that the chiefs and Packers had better options at QB the year that they drafted a QB, and had a better chance of winning with their other QB that year, but do you feel Mahomes throws for 50 TDS his rookie year?  I think a year on the sideline helped his development tremendously.  

And remember David Carr?  The rookie QB who started right away and got his brains beat in bc his surrounding offensive teammates were terrible.  Many feel he could never overcome the trauma of those early years.  

It all boils down to a simple pros And cons of sitting a year.  The pros are it allows us to better build some offensive talent around him during another off-season while he learns the system and adjusts to life in the NFL.  The cons are it does not give him a year of starting experience to help him progress. (We aren't sacrificing wins if he sits, we aren't winning with a rookie QB with little talent around him.  And another con would be less excitement for the fans to see their shiny new toy, but that is irrelevant to me and should be irrelevant to this decision).  But I feel if he is getting pummeled back there, or he is just flat out unsuccessful due to lack of receiving threats, it will negatively effect his confidence, and stunt his development.  Also, the gray cloud will form over DC, and the media will instantly pour on negativity as it always does.   Not the way a 22 year old should start his career.  And with this regime, if the shiny new toy loses its shine (all because they threw him into a situation where it was impossible to succeed), do they throw Haskins on the scrap heap after two failed seasons and start fresh? 

I know the DC media will always be ruthless, and I don't expect to be the greatest show on turf after another off-season, but I think it will be an improved situation overall.  

Let's say Haskins starts next year.  What are your expectations for the offense?  What do you predict for a record? Let's be honest, it will be ugly, and there will be little optimism by December.  And around and around we go.

I think Keenum is competent enough that he can start the season. Its not a 2012 situation where after RG3 all we had was Rex Grossman.

My guess is Keenum will start the season but most likely we won't quite be contending and by November ish we'll see Haskins on the field.

Also, can I say how much I hate the "other teams with QB needs passed on him" argument that some are using in criticize the pick...by that same logic, the fact that the Giants drafted Jones @ #6 means he's an elite talent that all the other QB-needy teams would have picked if they had the chance. This logic dictates that Jones be seen as a worthy pick at #6 and Haskins be seen as a reach at #15...because it's based primarily on how many QB-needy teams passed on each prospect. That's lazy analysis.

5 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Also, can I say how much I hate the "other teams with QB needs passed on him" argument that some are using in criticize the pick...by that same logic, the fact that the Giants drafted Jones @ #6 means he's an elite talent that all the other QB-needy teams would have picked if they had the chance. This logic dictates that Jones be seen as a worthy pick at #6 sn Haskins be seen as a reach at #15...because it's based primarily on how many QB-needy teams passed on each prospect. That's lazy analysis.

I think the Bengals take Haskins at 11 if Williams is off the board.  But he was there and he’s a franchise/top 5 pick quality LT in a year without so much elite DT/Edge talent.  

The Dolphins?  Well, they’re a mess.  I think they’re tanking, honestly.

Archived