Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

You know, if Haskins approached Rivera, worked hard as a backup and Allen either wasn’t getting it done or didn’t protect himself... again... I wouldn’t be opposed to seeing what Haskins has the rest of the way. 

But he’d need to show he gets “it” to the coaching staff.

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

You know, if Haskins approached Rivera, worked hard as a backup and Allen either wasn’t getting it done or didn’t protect himself... again... I wouldn’t be opposed to seeing what Haskins has the rest of the way. 

I've said something similar.  I am not in love with Haskins' talent but its his intangibles or lack thereof worry me more.  How he reacts to all of this could be key to his career, not just here, but if he leaves his new club will likely factor maturity in the soup going forward. 

13 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Keim has said that a split is "inevitable" at this point, so I don't see why they would ever go back to Haskins, improved attitude or not.  His best chance is to go to a team with a vet starter that he can sit behind and learn from.  This is literally what I have been saying since we drafted him.  I knew it wouldn't work out here, but had he been drafted by a team like the Chargers, he could have had a successful NFL career.  

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

But I think Dwayne today is a middle of the pack QB who can win us some games and keep us competitive.

If he was a middle of the pack QB, we wouldn't be having these debates about him being benched.  At this point, a team (be that the Redskins or a trade partner) would have to believe that they can develop him into a middle of the pack QB.  There is absolutely nothing to suggest that he's middle of the pack today.  To even insinuate that he can run an Alex Smith-ish offense is an insult to Alex Smith.  I think it would be the hope that he could one day develop into a QB that can run an Alex Smith-like offense.

19 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Keim has said that a split is "inevitable" at this point, so I don't see why they would ever go back to Haskins, improved attitude or not.  His best chance is to go to a team with a vet starter that he can sit behind and learn from.  This is literally what I have been saying since we drafted him.  I knew it wouldn't work out here, but had he been drafted by a team like the Chargers, he could have had a successful NFL career.  

I agree. I’m just saying if it happened I’d be okay with it.

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

My argument is never about Dwayne's ceiling because I think scouts and coaches and definitely fans have no real idea of what this is. They (we) may think they do but they can be wrong. Its something we see everyday in life when we label somebody a hater. But I think Dwayne today is a middle of the pack QB who can win us some games and keep us competitive. Right now it'd be more 2018 Alex Smith type winning instead of 2019 Mahomes, but as I tell my wife all the time perfection is the enemy of good. 

Perfection can be the enemy of good.  I seriously doubt they are thinking though that Dwayne is good but are upset that greatness has alluded him.  I am almost laughing as I am typing that.

If Dwayne right now is peak Alex Smith we should get our popcorn ready and be ready for a nice haul in a trade.  Alex towards the ends of his career fetched a high draft pick and a young and upcoming player.  A younger version of Alex, should bring a first rounder and change. 

Keim on 980 talking just now about how they wanted to see him put in more time, to stay after practice, more seriously prepare during the week, etc.

Rivera pumped up Haskins during the off season, purposely building up his confidence up, etc.   That was the offseason plan.

But guys like Rivera are grinders and have a certain mindset of how to approach football.  

Alex as a third stringer was still working his butt off.  

25 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:
There. Ya guys happy now?? 😂😂

I'll be happier when the distraction is gone.  Either he's the starter or he's off of the team.  This is getting old fast, IMO.  What other team devotes this much coverage to the 3rd string QB?  I get it, it's a story the whole "fall from grace" angle...but it's getting tiring.  

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim on 980 talking just now about how they wanted to see him put in more time, to stay after practice, more seriously prepare during the week, etc.

Rivera pumped up Haskins during the off season, building his confidence up, etc. 

But guys like Rivera are grinders and have a certain mindset of how to approach football.  

Alex as a third stringer was still working his butt off.  

Dwayne's efforts this offseason remind me of my own son.  When we give him a goal to work towards for something that he really wants, all the sudden it's like he's a new person, putting in the effort with his eye on the prize.  The moment he gets what he was working towards, falls right back to old habits.

16 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Dwayne's efforts this offseason remind me of my own son.  When we give him a goal to work towards for something that he really wants, all the sudden it's like he's a new person, putting in the effort with his eye on the prize.  The moment he gets what he was working towards, falls right back to old habits.

My kids aren't always self-motivated too.  But they are much younger than Haskins.   I think it can take time.  For a dude like Haskins at 23 going on 24, I am not so sure.

The point about Haskins work ethic which is from multiple corners not just WFT is clearly a big plotline.   So is Dan's fingerprints on this too.  Keim delved into that some too.

I think part of the reason why we aren't going to get a meet in the middle between the pro Haskins side and pro Rivera side here or however you define the sides here is because in my view the pro-Haskins angle mostly just flat out ignores the Dan angle and the work ethic plot.  It's not in the soup of conversation. Those plotlines are either mostly ignored or discounted as false and not worth talking about.  So if that's the case there is no middle ground. 

The weird thing about it to me is the evidence is overwhelming on both points.   It's not just some odd obscure thing being said on both points -- its billboard level in your face, screaming at you level intense.   And, if you can be exposed to that many layers of that plot and still shrug it all off then I think there is no budging off of Haskins is 100% the victim narrative.   Heck Haskins could probably even say himself he needed to work harder -- and someone would still say he was coerced into saying it and it can't be true! 

11 hours ago, IrepDC said:

The more I think about this situation, the more I remember how clueless my hometown team is. I have been watching us mismanage this team and players' careers for nearly 30 years. My persistence in this instance is because I want us for ONCE to do things the right way, because I'm really not buying the Haskins scapegoat narrative. I watch us do this with a player every year becoming the negative energy dumpster. 

Let's keep it football. Haskins was the prospect EVERYONE knew would need time and experience with his limited college playing time. What do we do? We gave him 3 HCs, minimal help around him, and the shortest leash of the QBs in his draft class, while putting him under a microscope immediately as if he was supposed to be pro ready out the gate- literally the opposite of what any scout said his grooming process should look like. Very little accountability for the team though. We blame the rookie for not developing in and overcoming our dysfunction. 

Then I thought about this. He grew up in the area, but wasn't a Skins fan- likely because we have been a poorly run organization his entire life and he got a front row seat of the dysfunction growing up. He was already weary coming here when he was drafted and many could tell. Then the way the team gave up on him so quickly, as he watches other orgs stand behind the other QBs who are struggling from his draft class, of course he's upset. I know we expect athletes to be above emotions, but you have to be real about the situation.

I'm also not excusing his struggles, because I expected those, but I also get his perspective. This is something I never talked about on here, but when I had my brief stint of tryouts after college, I didn't even consider the hometown team(probably should have since it may have been my best shot lol). My family, also Washington fans, only wanted me to try Baltimore locally, and that's where I went. I'm a fan of this team, but I still knew this place isn't really about winning football, and that's my biggest thing as a player. So from an athletes perspective, unless you're getting paid, this place is not where you want to be. I really cannot stress this enough, because I see fans complain players only come here for a pay day, but we have to understand why.

We still expect to antagonize our players, put them in bad situations, throw them under the bus, and then act surprised when they aren't excited about coming in to work. Most of us would quit our jobs if it were run the way this team is. When you look at how many players leave this place disgruntled EVERY year, maybe we aren't being sincere about what the real problem is.

I am really hoping somehow Rivera can shift things. We really need to change this loser / self defeating culture. I dream of the day we make decisions based on football and winning games. For now I can only imagine us being run with integrity and consistency like a Pitt or Green Bay.

Whether Haskins turns out to be a good player or not, we certainly didn't give him the best chance to succeed, and we need to own up to that. We have to stop pretending like this 20 something kid came here and messed up a good thing, and have a real conversation about the 25+ years of the football team doing what the football team does.

Nobody is questioning the team's disfunction. But I'm curious as to why you are giving Dayne a pass for consistently showing a lazy, diva work ethic.  His poor play is just as much a function of this as it is the coaching changes.

Oh yeah, respond to my PMs please.  

12 hours ago, skeenzfan said:

I don't think they were sneaking in every year. I recall one year (2010) where they won the division at 7-9. The point is that except for an off-year, you are not going to stumble to a division win with 6-7 wins. Also lets not forget that they dominated their division 2004-2007 including a Superbowl appearance so there was some sustained success prior to those somewhat down years. 

Don't think winning the division is realistic. We won't win any games against Dallas or the somewhat improved Philly who just went down the wire with the steelers. After we lose to the Giants, all this talk of winning the division will die down. 

Sure if you lose to the giants the talk will die down. Don’t have to be Nostradamus to get that one lol. 

My point is that you have to win games to recruit good players at a fair price and you need good players at a fair price to win. That’s not hard to understand and you don’t really have an argument against it. 

Also this is an off year. And if you don’t try to win it, you are not supposed to be a coach of an NFL football team. 

2 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

The funny thing about that 85 Bears team is that they are the epitome of what I think you can get with an average QB. 

McMahon wasn't a great QB by any means. In fact he wasn't even that mature or that much of a hard worker, but that was never part of my discussion. Its just that we can win in this league without our QB being Mahomes or Favre or Manning. I know this is a weighted pool but if you look at it, you see that most of those great QBs have at most 1 SB with the exception of Brady who took em all. But guys who are mediocre were also able to take their teams to the SB and playoffs. 

My argument is never about Dwayne's ceiling because I think scouts and coaches and definitely fans have no real idea of what this is. They (we) may think they do but they can be wrong. Its something we see everyday in life when we label somebody a hater. But I think Dwayne today is a middle of the pack QB who can win us some games and keep us competitive. Right now it'd be more 2018 Alex Smith type winning instead of 2019 Mahomes, but as I tell my wife all the time perfection is the enemy of good. 

Bless your heart. You're hoping for a Haskins revival. Maybe in time, Dwayne lives up to his potential. The only reason he's here is because he went school with the owner's son. Last year's coaching staff and front office didn't want him. This year's coaching didn't think much of him but gave him a shot. They reach their conclusion pretty quickly.

Yes, Dwayne came into a lousy situation and really didn't have a fair shot. I trust the coaches to have the QB they believe in. The past and current coaching staff don't believe in Dwayne. Dwayne isn't starting again for the Team unless Alex gets hurt. Any further games Dwayne plays in, will be just to enhance his trade value next offseason. 

The Team will move on from him. Kyle is auditioning to be the long term backup. The Team will either draft the long term QB or trade  for/sign in free agency  the next long term QB.  Then they will probably draft a QB in 21 or 22, to develop to take over when the veteran is done. I don't care what Ron is saying publicly, his actions say Dwayne isn't his long term QB.

Ron has that right to get the QB he believes. Some other team will attempt to develop Dwayne in 21, it won't be us.

So, good luck with your dream of a Dwayne Team resurgence.  If Dwayne has a resurgence in him, it will be elsewhere.  Maybe the XFL; if it's still around when his NFL career ends. We, have different thoughts on Dwayne.

Archived