Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

7 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

@KDawg I’m not the only one who disagreed with his movie stance though..... two others on this very page were also disagreeing. It wasn’t only me. 

This is what you're not following. It's not just the movie for him. He just doesn't like him. The movie is nit picking the guy that he doesn't like, it's not the general premise of why he dislikes Haskins.

I don't understand the dislike for the guy, personally. I don't like the player, but Dwayne Haskins is a football player who isn't very good, in my opinion. I don't know Dwayne Haskins on a human level. But I also think that it's a tough look to talk to someone on an internet forum and think that they don't like the human being... On the internet, people will nitpick and judge the smallest of things because of their athletic prowess. 

I don't think Spiff has a voodoo doll of Haskins as a man and he stabs it nightly. Maybe of him in a Washington uniform, though. :ols:

It's not the way *I* operate, but it's important to try to read entire situations when responding to things. Sometimes it's tough to do. Sometimes it's not. 

And maybe I'm wrong here, but I don't think so. This is the type of thing life teaches you as you age.

But there are people who legit would judge him just based on his movie preference. I just don't get the sense that's the kind of dude Spiff is.

26 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

1) I've never been a fan of QBR, for reasons I've gone over earlier in this thread.

2) I would expect someone learning his third system, with a shortened offseason, to struggle early.

1) True, and I've had my issues with QBR before. But at the same time, the same thing could be said for completion percentage. A guy who's throwing a ton of bubble screens, slants, and check downs is almost guaranteed to have a higher completion percentage than a guy who's throwing deep more. 

2)  Yeah I said earlier in the season that I expected Ron to stay with him for the season to fully evaluate him. Apparently he didn't think he needed it all to make a decision.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

This is what you're not following. It's not just the movie for him. He just doesn't like him. The movie is nit picking the guy that he doesn't like, it's not the general premise of why he dislikes Haskins.

I didnt say at any point that the movie was the general premise for his dislike of haskins. What me, and the two others on the previous page, WERE saying, however, is that using his nickname Simba (which he got from his aunt cause of the Afro and lion king being his favorite movie) as  ONE of the reasons to dislike him, is silly. Because it is. 

4 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I didnt say at any point that the movie was the general premise for his dislike of haskins. What me, and the two others on the previous page, WERE saying, however, is that using his nickname Simba (which he got from his aunt cause of the Afro and lion king being his favorite movie) as  ONE of the reasons to dislike him, is silly. Because it is. 

Man, come on. You have to get this. It’s like when you break up with a person and after that, everything about them that you used to find charming or quirky you now find grating. Everything becomes annoying as hell and a reason to criticize, even if it wasn’t a big deal before or was even a positive! It’s a coping mechanism, and perfectly explains fans’ relationship with players they once placed a lot of hope in, who didn’t work out. It’s natural, if brutal. But it’s on a message board, not in his DM’s. 

23 minutes ago, mistertim said:

1) True, and I've had my issues with QBR before. But at the same time, the same thing could be said for completion percentage. A guy who's throwing a ton of bubble screens, slants, and check downs is almost guaranteed to have a higher completion percentage than a guy who's throwing deep more. 

2)  Yeah I said earlier in the season that I expected Ron to stay with him for the season to fully evaluate him. Apparently he didn't think he needed it all to make a decision.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1) Haskins had the 10th highest intended air yards in the league last year.  He was definitely throwing for more intended air yards than Carr and Tannehill were in their rookie years, and had a higher completion percentage than both.  Not as many air yards as Allen though, yet Haskins' completion percentage was far better.

2) If Haskins is as bad as Rivera thinks he is, he does two things with this decision that has been damaging to our future: A) makes it harder for us to get the 1st overall pick and select a hard-to-ruin, true franchise QB and B ) makes it nearly impossible to get any decent draft pick compensation for Haskins.  Basically the complete opposite of the Cardinals' strategy in both ways.

It really is simple as this, last years coaching staff didn't want him and Dan forced the draft pick.  Dan fires staff, Bill steps up, didn't want to play him either, said he wouldn't, then started him (obviously a Snyder final decision).  Dan gets Ron to take the HC job.  Most new HCs and their staff coming in would prefer to draft or sign a FA QB that they want in their system, especially when starting a true rebuild.

Ron said they would give Haskins a chance, they did.  He played poorly, showed no consistency as far as progression.  They have tape on him from his 7 starts last year (different system? Yes. But they are looking at progression in every aspect of his game), and after 4 starts this year, they don't like what they see.  All that combined with his poor attitude, work ethic got him benched.  I'm speculating that his immaturity knocked him down to 3rd string instead of 2nd string.

Ron can change his mind about the direction to take this team in anytime he wants to.  It's his ship to sail (for now) and after week 4, we were a 1/2 game out of first place in the division at 1-4, which is pathetic, but at the same time, no reason to not change things up to try and take the division.  Everyone on the team wants to win (if they don't, they need to go) and whether anyone wants to admit it or not, Kyle Allen knows the system better than Haskins and Smith hadn't played in 2 years.  

Kyle is not our answer at QB for the future either, but with the division up for grabs, getting him reps and starts is a good thing for our back-up QB of the future in this system.  Allen's also on a contract year (right?), maybe Ron is evaluating him too, to see if he has a future as our back-up QB.  

To me, it's not even that RIvera doesn't think much of Haskins, but one would have to assume that Turner and Zampese aren't banging the drum for the kid either.  I don't think much of Turner as an OC, but this isn't his first rodeo coaching QBs and Zampese was supposed to be the QB guru in this group. 

9 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

1) Haskins had the 10th highest intended air yards in the league last year.  He was definitely throwing for more intended air yards than Carr and Tannehill were in their rookie years, and had a higher completion percentage than both.  Not as many air yards as Allen though, yet Haskins' completion percentage was far better.

2) If Haskins is as bad as Rivera thinks he is, he does two things with this decision that has been damaging to our future: A) makes it harder for us to get the 1st overall pick and select a hard-to-ruin, true franchise QB and B ) makes it nearly impossible to get any decent draft pick compensation for Haskins.  Basically the complete opposite of the Cardinals' strategy in both ways.

1) That's true, but we only have data for last season I think. I couldn't find any for this one. It felt (a completely subjective term) like he was doing much more short stuff than last season. Could be a function of offense and play calling. He's also (again, IMO, eye test...nothing scientific) looked less accurate than he did down the stretch at the end of last season. Again, that could be partially because of having a new system, but it's still an issue. Balls kept sailing on him and that's mostly a function of footwork and mechanics usually.

2) I feel like this is sort of a no-man's-land situation, to be honest. ****ed if you do, ****ed if you don't. If Ron truly believed that Haskins just wasn't good enough (and/or that his attitude / work ethic was bad enough) and he left him in anyway then we might be more likely to get the #1 overall pick, but what message would that send to everyone else on the team? Remember, this is Ron's first year and he wants to establish a culture. 

As far as the draft compensation, I honestly am not sure we'd ever have been likely to get more than a mid rounder at most, no matter the cirsumstances. Rosen was a bit of a different situation as well, because not only was he generally a more highly rated QB prospect than Haskins, but he was also much more polished and had lots of experience in college as a starter. With Rosen, you know it's a guy you're more likely able to plug and play. With Haskins, he's a guy that you look at and say "Guy has tons of arm talent but he needs a lot of work on fundamentals" and realize he's a project. Most teams aren't going to give up a 1st or 2nd round pick for a project QB.

Also, if teams believed the poor attitude/work ethic/maturity stuff (which has been around since before he was drafted...so it's not just us) then that's going to affect their decision making even more. Yeah the leaking is a pain, and yeah it unfortunately didn't go away immediately when Ron came to town, but I also don't think that he likes it or has anything to do with it. And leaks happen with every team. We act like we're the only team where rumors and leaks surround stuff, but we're not. 

20 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

It really is simple as this, last years coaching staff didn't want him and Dan forced the draft pick.  Dan fires staff, Bill steps up, didn't want to play him either, said he wouldn't, then started him (obviously a Snyder final decision).  Dan gets Ron to take the HC job.  Most new HCs and their staff coming in would prefer to draft or sign a FA QB that they want in their system, especially when starting a true rebuild.

Ron said they would give Haskins a chance, they did.  He played poorly, showed no consistency as far as progression.  They have tape on him from his 7 starts last year (different system? Yes. But they are looking at progression in every aspect of his game), and after 4 starts this year, they don't like what they see.  All that combined with his poor attitude, work ethic got him benched.  I'm speculating that his immaturity knocked him down to 3rd string instead of 2nd string.

Ron can change his mind about the direction to take this team in anytime he wants to.  It's his ship to sail (for now) and after week 4, we were a 1/2 game out of first place in the division at 1-4, which is pathetic, but at the same time, no reason to not change things up to try and take the division.  Everyone on the team wants to win (if they don't, they need to go) and whether anyone wants to admit it or not, Kyle Allen knows the system better than Haskins and Smith hadn't played in 2 years.  

Kyle is not our answer at QB for the future either, but with the division up for grabs, getting him reps and starts is a good thing for our back-up QB of the future in this system.  Allen's also on a contract year (right?), maybe Ron is evaluating him too, to see if he has a future as our back-up QB.  

This is the point I have been trying to hammer home.  2 completely different staffs, as well as in interim head coach, have questioned his work ethic and ability to develop.  These were real questions about him before the draft.  Now we have no teams apparently interested in this supposed great talent even they know he will be cheap.

These guys know more about this than any fan does, the evidence is perfectly clear that the people who do this for a living believe he can't play and can't be salvaged. And this is even before his temper tantrum.  

The end. 

18 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

This is the point I have been trying to hammer home.  2 completely different staffs, as well as in interim head coach, have questioned his work ethic and ability to develop.  These were real questions about him before the draft.  Now we have no teams apparently interested in this supposed great talent even they know he will be cheap.

These guys know more about this than any fan does, the evidence is perfectly clear that the people who do this for a living believe he can't play and can't be salvaged. And this is even before his temper tantrum.  

The end. 

This is the sad truth. We have all the evidence of people who know the game and know exactly what Haskins understanding of the game is, his preparation, work ethic, his game film, advanced metrics, etc. And they don't want anything to do with him. Should send red flags everywhere. I mean Ron gave him 4 games and basically threw in the towel, that's how little he showed Ron and his staff. 

4 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Sounds like Rivera is talking about a stranger, call him by his given name Ron. Not a whole lot of empathy lol. All conjecture on my part. 

Or hes actually standing up for him and we are all blowing this our of proportion. Its still possible this is all legit and Ron thinks we are all bat **** crazy for acting like....extreme washingtons. When I defend my nephews cause they mess up I almost always refer to them as young men because thats exactly what they are and they sometimes act like it. 

I mean, I still think the stomach bug thing is BS. But I have been very wrong about pretty much everything else so far so why stop now? 

EDIT - for context I use young man almost interchangeably with stupid mf'er lol 

Archived