Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

14 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

I have no issue with those of you who took the bait. I just don't buy the scapegoat narrative. Everyone knew he would need time. Now that he needs time, I'm not going to call him a bust. It's like when we had Sweat in coverage last season. We go off schedule with the process and blame the player. Also, Haskins didn't look anywhere near as terrible on the field as some make it seem, in my opinion. I've read guys compliment the likes of Sam Darnold while grilling Haskins. People are clearly seeing what they want to see, and I can't debate that. If you're just talking about football, and not relying heavily on rumors and conjecture, Haskins still has all the tools to develop into a solid QB in this league. You all talk like he's a bum who ruined our great winning ways, but I'm not buying it. He's just your latest scapegoat.

I don't how much truth there is to this. I was saying since week 2 that Ron is going to have no choice but to bench him because he has no ability to make plays downfield. He's last place in qbr two years in a row for a reason. He's been awful. The team might be bad around him but he definitely didn't make it better. PFF had him as the lowest ranked player on the offense. Pretty much everything out there matches the eye test except what you supporters say about him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

You all talk like he's a bum who ruined our great winning ways, but I'm not buying it. He's just your latest scapegoat.

It's become increasingly evident that you have an inability to remove your emotions from the issue and resort to using both false narratives and hyperbole to make a point.

Speaking for myself, and ultimately many others, I have been beating the drum of dysfunction from Ashburn for what feels like forever.  I am well aware of the franchise's history of ineptitude and scapegoating.  

However to refer to Haskins as a scapegoat cheapens what scapegoat means around these parts.  I don't think anyone was under the impression that this team is good if not for Haskins.  I don't see anyone arguing that prematurely drafting a 1 year college starter in Haskins to a lame duck head coach was a good idea.  As per usual with anything Dan puts his fingerprints on, it was a very bad move for both this team and Haskins.  However, the rumblings about Haskins not having what it takes to succeed in this league is not something that started when he was drafted by Washington.  That followed him here and has been echoed by 2 different coaching staffs.  

I'd agree with the premise that a dysfunction junction franchise like Washington drafting a project QB with maturity issues and a lack of relentless work ethics was bound to fail.  That's fair.  But to absolve Haskins as if this is all about the franchise and nothing to do with him, not only fails to recognize reality but is also a detriment to the player moving forward.  If he thinks like you do, he's all but guaranteed to never amount to anything in this league.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

Seems to me too many times these rumors come from this team for it not to be a cultural problem. How many years of leaks and gossip before we start to be a bit more cautious before taking the bait? We don't know who the gossip came from or how Rivera truly feels so everyone is entitled to their interpretation.

Let me ask you a question though—even if it’s a bad thing organizationally to have these leaks, how often in the past have they proven to be incorrect in the end? It’s usually true. What’s different this time? 

• Like 1

What do we know? Sharpe and Garnett are probably faking it because they're not getting the playing time they feel they deserve. 

Immature. Youngins. 

This is why we need better leadership from our QB. Others follow suit. 

Edited by Thinking Skins
  • Like 2
12 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It's become increasingly evident that you have an inability to remove your emotions from the issue and resort to using both false narratives and hyperbole to make a point.

Speaking for myself, and ultimately many others, I have been beating the drum of dysfunction from Ashburn for what feels like forever.  I am well aware of the franchise's history of ineptitude and scapegoating.  

However to refer to Haskins as a scapegoat cheapens what scapegoat means around these parts.  I don't think anyone was under the impression that this team is good if not for Haskins.  I don't see anyone arguing that prematurely drafting a 1 year college starter in Haskins to a lame duck head coach was a good idea.  As per usual with anything Dan puts his fingerprints on, it was a very bad move for both this team and Haskins.  However, the rumblings about Haskins not having what it takes to succeed in this league is not something that started when he was drafted by Washington.  That followed him here and has been echoed by 2 different coaching staffs.  

I'd agree with the premise that a dysfunction junction franchise like Washington drafting a project QB with maturity issues and a lack of relentless work ethics was bound to fail.  That's fair.  But to absolve Haskins as if this is all about the franchise and nothing to do with him, not only fails to recognize reality but is also a detriment to the player moving forward.  If he thinks like you do, he's all but guaranteed to never amount to anything in this league.

The last thing I am about football is emotional. All my talk has been about not relying on gossip exaggerations, and pretty much based on football analysis. I've also been level headed and haven't had issue with anyone questioning Haskins, as I've said everyone is entitled to their interpretation. Nice try though. 

• Confused 1
37 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

I have no issue with those of you who took the bait. I just don't buy the scapegoat narrative. Everyone knew he would need time. Now that he needs time, I'm not going to call him a bust. It's like when we had Sweat in coverage last season. We go off schedule with the process and blame the player. Also, Haskins didn't look anywhere near as terrible on the field as some make it seem, in my opinion. I've read guys compliment the likes of Sam Darnold while grilling Haskins. People are clearly seeing what they want to see, and I can't debate that. If you're just talking about football, and not relying heavily on rumors and conjecture, Haskins still has all the tools to develop into a solid QB in this league. You all talk like he's a bum who ruined our great winning ways, but I'm not buying it. He's just your latest scapegoat.

So all these multiple reports, going back to college and throughout 2 totally different staffs, is now considered "bait"?  That is just so bizarre to me that you are simply willing to brush all this news aside.  Did you take this approach with Jeff George and all the talk about his attitude and other off the field issues?  

For the record I have no agenda. I want nothing more than our first round pick to develop into a franchise QB.  But I won't be onboard with a lazy, entitled QB who plays like crap, then brags about the garbage yards he got at the end of a blow out loss.   

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
15 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Let me ask you a question though—even if it’s a bad thing organizationally to have these leaks, how often in the past have they proven to be incorrect in the end? It’s usually true. What’s different this time? 

To answer your question, I haven't honestly kept track of which leaks were true or not. Sometimes they are founded, and sometimes it's someone being petty with a personal axe to grind. I am generally just annoyed we have an organization that operates like a high school with all the back biting, in the first place. It's a big symptom of the loser culture we allow. Belichek or Tomlin finds out where it's coming from and shuts it down asap. We don't keep anything in house and it makes us look weak, whether the gossip is true or not.

Edited by IrepDC
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

So all these multiple reports, going back to college and throughout 2 totally different staffs, is now considered "bait"?  That is just so bizarre to me that you are simply willing to brush all this news aside.  

For the record I have no agenda. I want nothing more than our first round pick to develop into a franchise QB.  But I won't be onboard with a lazy, entitled QB who plays like crap, then brags about the garbage yards he got at the end of a blow out loss.   

I didn't see all of these reports about his work ethic when he was coming out. I remember his college coaches saying he was the most talented QB they ever worked with. I also saw and read all offseason how he was working hard so again, it feels like revisionist history to me that he all of a sudden is this lazy no work ethic diva. I maybe missed all of these reports you are referencing, but I'm admittedly not one of the biggest followers of media analysts.

Edited by IrepDC
2 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

To answer your question, I haven't honestly kept track of which leaks were true or not. Sometimes they are founded, and sometimes it's someone being petty with a personal axe to grind. I am generally just annoyed we have an organization that operates like a high school with all the back biting, in the first place. It's a big symptom of the loser culture we allow. Belichek or Tomlin finds out where it's coming from and shuts it down asap. We don't keep anything in house and it makes us look weak, whether the gossip is true or not.

You can't put all the organizational failures on RR, he was not here.  It's like @stevemcqueen1laying the failures of Heath Shuler on Ron Rivera too as he/she claimed the team is unable to develop a QB.  No at some point you have to look at the player that too many professionals have determined he is not salvagible.

How else can you explain how the team has received no interest around the league, surely if he's as good as you think he can be some team would be willing to trade a 7th for him right?  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It's not hard to follow the Haskins work ethic narrative

A.  Some concerns raised about it before the draft.  Some of that was posted here.  An executive just the other day said they had work habits red flagged about him predraft.

B.  Concerns raised from multiple fronts about his work habits last year.  FO.  Coaching.  National media.  Local media.  All over town.  Most of that stuff was posted on this very thread. 

C.  Scott Turner, Doug, Rivera in their statements more or less challenged Doug to work harder.  All of that stuff posted on the thread, the Doug stuff was just reposted.

D.  Haskins met their challenge in the off season.  Rivera said Haskins did a 180 personality implying work ethic dramatically improved in the off season.

E.  Once he was named the starter the "new" work habits didn't last.  And he resorted back to last season or something like that.  This narrative echoed by just about everyone who covers the team

It's not a new narrative.  But to some who are upset at ther story -- the story starts and ends at D.  There was no prior narrative about this to them.  It was Haskins being Peyton Manning workaholic from the jump so why are people all of a sudden jumping on him?  

The best analogy that hits me is a fat dude weighs 250 pounds last year.  His doctor tells them to lose weight.  The dude does and he gets down to 180.  Then all of a sudden his bad habits resurface and puts on another 20 pounds. 

And then some are saying why are you giving a hard time to a dude who is just about always skinny and is disciplined?  The dude just put on 20 pounds so what, he was a skinny 180 pounds so that skinny dude is entitled to put on some weight for a change and he will take it right back off.  Why pick on him for nothing?  What you say he was once 250 pounds? That's a lie.  No way dude, what are you talking about.  He was 180 pounds and never had any issues ever with his weight. 

Why would Doug need to work harder? Why did he challenge himself to work harder?👀🤪😜👀😛🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
3 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

I didn't see all of these reports about his work ethic when he was coming out. I remember his college coaches saying he was the most talented QB they ever worked with. I also saw and read all offseason how he was working hard so again, it feels like revisionist history to me that he all of a sudden is this lazy no work ethic diva. I maybe missed all of these reports you are referencing, but I'm admittedly not one of the biggest followers of media analysts.

If you are unfamiliar with the reports before the draft then you are simply ignorant on the subject matter.  It's as if you can't comprehend how a player can do all the right things in May and then revert to his previous work habits one he was handed (yes HANDED not earned) the starting QB job. 

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
1 minute ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

You can't put all the organizational failures on RR, he was not here.  It's like @stevemcqueen1laying the failures of Heath Shuler on Ron Rivera too as he/she claimed the team is unable to develop a QB.  No at some point you have to look at the player that too many professionals have determined he is not salvagible.

How else can you explain how the team has received no interest around the league, surely if he's as good as you think he can be some team would be willing to trade a 7th for him right?  

I'm not putting it all on Rivera. More like putting hopes in Rivera to be the leader for change and shut down some of the weak stuff like gossiping in his locker room. 

The interest and no interest thing is literally getting contradicting reports from everywhere so I can't make anything of it. One person says multiple teams have shown interest. Another says no one cares. Lol. Your guess is as good as mine there.

1 minute ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

If you are unfamiliar with the reports before the draft then you are simply ignorant on the subject matter.  It's as if you can't comprehend how a player can do all the right things in May and then revert to his previous work habits one he was handed (yes HANDED) the starting QB job. 

Not unfamiliar, I just didn't see all these reports about his work ethic. My good friend is from Warren Ohio and he was hyoe about Haskins in college so I had followed him that season. Again, I heard and saw people complimenting the kid. His college coaches made some pretty huge statements about him. 

Rivera claimed he earned the starting job, but now it was handed to him? Do you not see how things we have been told are contradicting? Most people already admit this is likely not about football and maybe something we have no knowledge of happened behind the scenes.

41 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

So now the word is there is a bug going around Redskins park and other guys are getting sick. I can't remember who was named by the reporter but Ron admitted it 

EDIT: Finley asked the question and I believe that he said Sharpe was sick today. Not sure who else. 

Must be Covid?

28 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

What do we know? Sharpe and Garnett are probably faking it because they're not getting the playing time they feel they deserve. 

Immature. Youngins. 

This is why we need better leadership from our QB. Others follow suit. 

Our QB is Kyle and his backup is Alex. Don’t expect much leadership from the 3rd string guy.

1 hour ago, IrepDC said:

I think we need to be open to the idea that he was getting in tons of throwing sessions and physical work but hasn’t put in equivalent work in the film room. That’s  what all the reports are saying, it jives with the issues the coaches say he has, and it’s a common enough problem for young physically talented QBs. Griffin had a similar problem. Johnny Football did. Vick was famous for it but incredibly talented anyways. Young Favre was famous for it, he didn’t even know what a nickel defense was until like his 3rd season, he’s been open about it. Some guys are preternaturally talented and can overcome it or at least buy themselves enough time with coaches to grow up. But many, especially those with serious mechanical deficiencies, find it to be a death knell to their career, no matter how “talented”. You can’t just bust your ass on the practice field or in workouts, you need to be a film hound. 

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Like 1
7 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I think we need to be open to the idea that he was getting in tons of throwing sessions and physical work but hasn’t put in equivalent work in the film room. That’s  what all the reports are saying, it jives with the issues the coaches say he has, and it’s a common enough problem for young physically talented QBs. Griffin had a similar problem. Johnny Football did. Vick was famous for it but incredibly talented anyways. Young Favre was famous for it.

Amazing talent overcomes a lot and makes people stick with you -- see Vick and Favre. I'm not sure Haskins has shown that. He's had moments, but that's it. Part of this might really just boil down to the staff thinking the best version of him wouldn't be more than a mid-tier starter.

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If Dwayne right now is peak Alex Smith we should get our popcorn ready and be ready for a nice haul in a trade.  Alex towards the ends of his career fetched a high draft pick and a young and upcoming player.  A younger version of Alex, should bring a first rounder and change. 

May I remind you that Alex Smith fetched a high draft pick and a young player from Snyder.  Haskins can't do that.

• TK changed the title to FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State
  • PCS locked this topic