Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

1 hour ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

The media gets into circlejerk mode about topics.  Where everytime they repeat something it gets a little worse.

"ERMAHGERD DANNY DIMES! ERMAHGERD!"

"You realize he had more turnover worthy plays than any other rookie QB by a huge margin, right?"

"STFU NOOB! ERMAHGERD DANNY DIMES!"

5 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I wouldn’t even go that far necessarily and wouldn’t expect anyone in the media to, but an acknowledgment that we hope to have our QB answer in-house even if he’s had a rough start is what I’m looking for. Saying we straight up don’t have a QB just isn’t true, given our investment, even if it turns out that he sucks. 

It's one of my pet peeves: just repeating a demonstrably false narrative, without an ounce of research or validation.

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

Boomer Esiason on the CBS Sports Minute: "Washington doesn't have a name or a quarterback right now."

Put that on a wall in the locker room. God, I want Haskins to shut everyone the **** up.

I hate to keep repeating that I am not sold on Haskins, but how exactly do we not have a quarterback right now?  We have Haskins.  He could suck.  He could be great.  He is an unknown.  

4 hours ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

If we’re now making Haskins captain he better have seriously impressed Ron.  His play last year was not exactly captain material. 

If your starting qb isn't selected as an offensive captain your team is already in serious trouble. 

How many teams DON'T have their starting QB as a captain?

If DH can lead at practice & in the huddle, we have a QB. He doesn’t need to be great, he does need to be the undisputed leader of our offense. Talented guys flame out because they can’t command a huddle of 10 mid 20s alpha bro’s... we’ll see if DH can. Part of the reason we let AD go, according to people I trust, was to make the huddle *entirely Dwayne’s. Peterson was a huge presence, everyone deferred to him, and we removed that crutch.

21 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

It's one of my pet peeves: just repeating a demonstrably false narrative, without an ounce of research or validation.

Man for me, I don’t even care if they think he sucks and is the worst QB in the league. Fine. For me, it’s that it’s just factually incorrect to say we’ve got nothing at QB when we are actively developing a pedigreed young QB. That makes us a rebuild to a degree, sure. And maybe he doesn’t work out. But we don’t have “no QB” when we invested a 1st into one with all the tools last year.

3 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Part of the reason we let AD go, according to people I trust, was to make the huddle entire Dwayne’s. Peterson was a huge presence, everyone deferred to him, and we removed that crutch.

That's very interesting to read. Was it more because he'd earned it or more to see if he could handle it?

5 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Man for me, I don’t even care if they think he sucks and is the worst QB in the league. Fine. For me, it’s that it’s just factually incorrect to say we’ve got nothing at QB when we are actively developing a pedigreed young QB. That makes us a rebuild to a degree, sure. And maybe he doesn’t work out. But we don’t have “no QB” when we invested a 1st into one with all the tools last year.

Huge difference between a young, 1st rounder and say the end of 2018 when we have Alex Smith, who looked like he'd never play again, Mark Sanchez, Josh Johnson, and Colt McCoy. THAT is not having a QB.

9 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

That's very interesting to read. Was it more because he'd earned it or more to see if he could handle it?

I remember something similar being said about Cousins...that we shipped off Jackson and Garcon because they were getting in the way of Cousins being able to lead or something like that there., like with them gone it would definitely be Cousins' team. Pretty sure that turned out to be the wrong perception lol...

48 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I wouldn’t even go that far necessarily and wouldn’t expect anyone in the media to, but an acknowledgment that we hope to have our QB answer in-house even if he’s had a rough start is what I’m looking for. Saying we straight up don’t have a QB just isn’t true, given our investment, even if it turns out that he sucks. 

42 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

To be completely fair, though, people say the same thing about Jacksonville.

Minshew wasn’t exactly a world beater, but he was good enough that he deserves a shot at it. But Jacksonville doesn’t have a QB, either. 

It’s just code for, “we think these guys stink and we pay them no mind.”

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

To be completely fair, though, people say the same thing about Jacksonville.

Minshew wasn’t exactly a world beater, but he was good enough that he deserves a shot at it. But Jacksonville doesn’t have a QB, either. 

It’s just code for, “we think these guys stink and we pay them no mind.”

Interesting, my perception was that media people have generally been willing to give Minshew in Jacksonville a chance and considering him a potential solution, which was part of the disconnect for me compared to the general narrative floating around Haskins. 

9 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Huge difference between a young, 1st rounder and say the end of 2018 when we have Alex Smith, who looked like he'd never play again, Mark Sanchez, Josh Johnson, and Colt McCoy. THAT is not having a QB.

He showed enough in camp to believe it would be there once the season began; but, Sunday’s are different. The belief in DH & the desire, more than just willingness, to support him is real. One thing they saw early was how our best offensive player (as he was referred to in this discussion), McLaurin, responds to DH. Chase Young‘s respect for DH meant something as well. The OSU guys flat out say he was better, on and off the field, than #1 pick Joe Burrow. That’s a couple years ago, but the positives add up, both the anecdotal & what he’s proven throughout his offseason.

12 minutes ago, volsmet said:

He showed enough in camp to believe it would be there once the season began; but, Sunday’s are different. The belief in DH & the desire, more than just willingness, to support him is real. One thing they saw early was how our best offensive player (as he was referred to in this discussion), McLaurin, responds to DH. Chase Young‘s respect for DH meant something as well. The OSU guys flat out say he was better, on and off the field, than #1 pick Joe Burrow. That’s a couple years ago, but the positives add up, both the anecdotal & what he’s proven throughout his offseason.

Between this and the players voting him a captain tells me a lot. Sounds like Haskins embraced Rivera's challenge,  impressed coaches and teammates a like, not say, owner-mandated.

10 minutes ago, dyst said:

Why are we upset, again, at what the media says about us. We won 3 games. We sucked. 

The "we sucked so it doesn't matter what is said about us" argument never held water with me.

By that rationale saying "Washington has the absolute worst defensive line in the NFL" is fine and dandy because, hey, we won 3 games. We suck.

51 minutes ago, volsmet said:

If DH can lead at practice & in the huddle, we have a QB. He doesn’t need to be great, he does need to be the undisputed leader of our offense. Talented guys flame out because they can’t command a huddle of 10 mid 20s alpha bro’s... we’ll see if DH can. Part of the reason we let AD go, according to people I trust, was to make the huddle *entirely Dwayne’s. Peterson was a huge presence, everyone deferred to him, and we removed that crutch.

Would be shocked if Dwayne was wired in this way to need a veteran to be cut, but stranger things have happened. It sounds like you’re saying it came from the top and wasn’t anything to do with Haskins necessarily. One of the main factors to being encouraged about Haskins was thinking he’s that dude and could give a damn who’s in the huddle. This kind of stuff reminds me of Cousins... yuck! 

31 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I remember something similar being said about Cousins...that we shipped off Jackson and Garcon because they were getting in the way of Cousins being able to lead or something like that there., like with them gone it would definitely be Cousins' team. Pretty sure that turned out to be the wrong perception lol...

Well, also consider the decision makers at the time...

1 minute ago, Califan007 said:

The "we sucked so it doesn't matter what is said about us" argument never held water with me.

By that rationale saying "Washington has the absolute worst defensive line in the NFL" is fine and dandy because, hey, we won 3 games. We suck.

While that’s true, there’s not a lot of On the surface talent on this roster to make the war cry, “WE ARE BEING UNJUSTLY DISRESPECTED!” valid. 

we are, very justly, being crushed. There are some x-factors that can transform the team for sure. But national prognosticators aren’t going to bet on the multitude of things happening in just one offseason. 

I have heard people in the media say they think our future is bright and we have the best DL in the NFL. So, the narrative that the media pans us for no reason is off-base.

2 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Our defense was still abysmal with that DL, though.  Regardless of the monsters we have in the front seven, if they don't perform, then they lose relevance.  I think our D could be amazing, and I think Haskins could be top-10 or -15, but until he shows it when it matters, then he's not relevant.  McLaurin showed up, and that's why he DOES have relevance and we DO have at least one WR.  The rest of our corps?  Effectively doesn't exist.

This isn't me siding with the media, this is just seeing where they're coming from.

2 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Our defense was still abysmal with that DL, though.  Regardless of the monsters we have in the front seven, if they don't perform, then they lose relevance.  I think our D could be amazing, and I think Haskins could be top-10 or -15, but until he shows it when it matters, then he's not relevant.  McLaurin showed up, and that's why he DOES have relevance and we DO have at least one WR.  The rest of our corps?  Effectively doesn't exist.

This isn't me siding with the media, this is just seeing where they're coming from.

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

While that’s true, there’s not a lot of On the surface talent on this roster to make the war cry, “WE ARE BEING UNJUSTLY DISRESPECTED!” valid. 

we are, very justly, being crushed. There are some x-factors that can transform the team for sure. But national prognosticators aren’t going to bet on the multitude of things happening in just one offseason. 

I have heard people in the media say they think our future is bright and we have the best DL in the NFL. So, the narrative that the media pans us for no reason is off-base.

I was of the impression that the "We sucked" argument was being justified towards slamming Haskins and not the team in general...

For me, I want the football analysts to...you know...analyze the team. "They sucked last year so they will suck this year" isn't really analysis.

2 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

So you'd be in agreement if someone said our DLine was the worst in the NFL (or even one of the worst)?

18 hours ago, moondog said:

Not happy feet, they were just not on the same page. Haskins was trying to fit it it in for a modest gain. Quinn saw the LB jumping the route and decided to jump behind him to the middle of the field. Quinn probably should have sat on the route for a split second longer and it would have been a short completion. But as the LB jumped, if Haskins had tossed it to where Quinn was going it would have turned into a big catch and run play. Can't really fault either for reading what they saw, but i think it's probably more on Quinn for bailing. 

If I remember correctly, Cooley in some radio appearance, (I can't remember with who, but he was on with somebody) put it more on Quinn than Haskins also, basically saying Quinn showed him one thing and then did another, and that's a great way to get your young QB in trouble.  I think he said it was on both of them for not being on the same page, and also on the coaches for not making sure both players knew what they were supposed to do in that situation, but he put it most on Quinn.  

The reason I remember is because there was a lot of "you're protecting Haskins" twitter hate or something like that after.  

Archived