Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I posted this elsewhere too.  Jason Reid, the same dude who couldn't scream loud enough post 2012 that RG3 can't play and the Redskins organization is doomed after every move -- is apparently a Haskins guy.  Wonder if that's a good omen? :ols:

Reid is a chocolate chip cookie guy too, but that doesn't make them better than Oreos.   They are, of course.   I hope Reid's right about Haskins being the guy to bring in a new day for us at that position.   I'm certainly not going to say he's wrong.  

2 minutes ago, Art said:

Reid is a chocolate chip cookie guy too, but that doesn't make them better than Oreos.   They are, of course.   I hope Reid's right about Haskins being the guy to bring in a new day for us at that position.   I'm certainly not going to say he's wrong.  

Sure, I am not saying Reid is the definitive word about anything.  He's just a reporter.  But its just funny for me to see his Game of Thrones winter is coming references for years about how the Redskins are doomed (with relentless RG3 bashing from him) and now he does a 180 for Haskins.  I find it amusing, that's all. 

2 hours ago, Chachie said:

I like your style and I can see your reasoning... but I'd personally prefer to see Haskins get some sideline time. For me, an entire season but I could live with getting him on the field after 6 or 8 games. 

My heart says "start the man."

My head says "Make this one count for the future. The kid needs time to learn."

I'm definitely more heart than head on this one. Just think we need to move forward now. Last season we ended up with 3 vet QBs in hospital. Not saying that is a good reason to throw a 21 year old to the Lions, but for me I'd rather he just takes his lumps on the field.

Two key factors for me, firstly, find out what Haskins' mental strength is like through the summer. I reckon he's got attitude and edge in a good way.

Secondly, Gruden needs to grind our RBs 35 carries per game without looking at the scoreboard. Run the ****ing ball.

That being said, I don't disagree with at all with an alternative view.

8 hours ago, Llevron said:

I do wonder how much O'Connell will be able to merge what he did well in school with what we do well here.

O'Connell has to be viewed as a promotion due to need.  That need is better overall Offensive Coordination.  Meaning upgraded scheme, personnel use, execution, play calling and game planning with in-game adjustments.  I don't think it's out of line to expect Jay Gruden to make changes to the offense due to the stagnant and glaring predictability of his game plans.  If he doesn't come out and change this offense, he won't make it past week 5.  Kevin O'Connell will be the interim HC and inline to replace Jay permanently in 2020.  He can't do the same thing again and again, then get another pass on a .500 or sub .500 season.  Those days are over.

Not sure if this was ever posted:

Scouting report on Dwayne Haskins

Bob McGinn Football: Rewrote the Big Ten record book in only season as a starter with 4,831 yards and 50 TD passes. “He threw 50 touchdown passes and they run the ball there,” one scout said. “He is a really good pocket passer that can also roll out and throw on the move. He’s not a runner. Being a black guy people think he’s going to be an athlete-runner. He’s not, but he has good feet. He’s far from a statue. The guy can throw the ball. Holy hell. Big-time arm. Accurate. He’s just not ready to be an NFL starter.” Turns 22 a week after the draft. Played eight games off the bench in 2017, igniting a comeback victory at Michigan in relief of injured J.T. Barrett, and started 14 games in ’18. Third-year sophomore bypassed his final two seasons. “He reminded me of Steve McNair (6-1 1/2, 225), and it wasn’t because McNair was black,” another scout said. “He didn’t have great speed, either, but he knew how to move around in the pocket. Haskins is a pocket guy. He’s exactly what you want in the National Football League. Some day, (Patrick) Mahomes is going to get hurt. Deshaun Watson is always hurt. RGIII got hurt. This guy is special.” Passer rating of 123.2 in 2018. “If he’s at his best he’s a bottom-15 QB in the NFL,” a third scout said. “Franchise quarterbacks make everybody better. He’s not that guy. He needs to be on a good team like he had at Ohio State. If he has no talent around him you’re talking about a 2-14, 3-13 season. He is not dynamic enough to bring them out of that. He gets a little long and a little high on his throws at times, the deep corners. I worry a little bit about his weight. Obviously, he’s probably in the best shape he’ll ever be in now.” Compounded his bad 40 at the combine by electing not to try again at his pro day. “His stats kind of lie,” said a fourth scout. “When he’s working within the rhythm of that offense he can pick people apart. Makes it easy for him. When he gets pressured and things get in his face he’s not accurate and sprays the ball. He just can’t move his body around well enough in the pocket because he’s slow-footed. That will continue in the NFL. His movements remind me of Jameis Winston. He was an awkward athlete. He sprayed the ball over when he got pressured. Or Byron Leftwich. I just don’t see him as a constant playoff threat, the kind of quarterback you will have to worry about.” Should become the Buckeyes’ first QB taken in the first round since Art Schlichter went No. 4 in 1982. “When you see Dwayne have to throw from an NFL-type pocket, a muddled pocket, he is frantic,” said a fifth scout. “The accuracy changes. When it’s clean, yeah, he’s got a whip. Problem is when there’s inversions from different points. Tom Brady, Drew Brees, they’re exceptional working the pocket. I don’t see that with him. Can he develop it? I don’t know.”

The ability to Thrive and grow under pressure will reveal itself soon enough, whether it's week 1 or season 2. To be honest, I don't see why this has to be an all or none decision. But he will NOT improve his footwork under pressure will watching the first team take reps. If he earns it, let him start. If he begins to look shell-shocked, let Case run a few series while Jay/Doug/Kevin coach him up on the sideline. Sooner or later, every teenage kid needs to actually do the driving

I've been thinking about writing this article since we drafted Haskins. Wilson beating out Flynn after that contract Flynn signed really changed the way I viewed Rookie Quarterbacks. If they are able to outperform their competition, how can you not start them?

1 minute ago, CrypticVillain said:
I've been thinking about writing this article since we drafted Haskins. Wilson beating out Flynn after that contract Flynn signed really changed the way I viewed Rookie Quarterbacks. If they are able to outperform their competition, how can you not start them?

I don't think on field production is the only pitfall. To put it simply, especially with this franchise and in this city, the politics play more of a role than we give it credit for. 

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

I don't think on field production is the only pitfall. To put it simply, especially with this franchise and in this city, the politics play more of a role than we give it credit for. 

True... I tried to stay away from talking about Snyder, Race, etc... It does all play a part though unfortunately.

Having said that, if it's clear that he's the best one, none of that would matter.

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Not sure if this was ever posted:

Scouting report on Dwayne Haskins

Good stuff. I subscribe to McGinn.  The scout takes were interesting.  I read his top 100 board was one of the most accurate on draft day.  the one thing frustrating about the scouts repoerts was you almost never had consensus on a player.  Take that Haskins report, either he's great or just a guy depending on the scout.

Here's brugler's take who is a big fan of him. 

1. DWAYNE HASKINS | Ohio State 6033 | 231 lbs. | rSO. Potomac, Md. (Bullis School) 5/3/1997 (age 21.99) #7 BACKGROUND: A four-star quarterback recruit out of high school, Dwayne Haskins Jr. grew up in New Jersey before moving to Gaithersburg, Maryland prior to his freshman year in high school to attend Bullis School. He became the starting quarterback there as a sophomore and quickly emerged as one of the top prep passers in the country. After earning Maryland Gatorade Player of the Year honors as a junior, Haskins completed 59.4 percent of his passes (170-of-286) for 2,217 yards and 20 touchdowns, earning consensus First Team All-State honors and finishing his career with 5,308 passing yards and 54 touchdowns. He was the No. 7 ranked pro-style passer in the 2016 recruiting cycle and initially recruited to Maryland during his junior year. However, two things changed: Maryland fired the previous coaching staff, including current head coach Mike Locksley who was his main recruiter; and Ohio State (Haskins’ dream school) made a hard push for him. Former Buckeyes head coach Urban Meyer called Haskins the “best” high school quarterback that he had ever seen.

He flipped to Ohio State in the weeks before signing day and redshirted in 2016. After backing up J.T. Barrett in 2017, Haskins had a record-setting sophomore season in 2018. He skipped his final two years and entered the 2019 NFL Draft. YEAR (GP/GS) CP-ATT CP% YDS TD INT CAR YDS AVG TD NOTES 2016: Redshirted 2017: (8/0) 40-57 70.2 565 4 1 24 86 3.6 0 2018: (14/14) 373-533 70.0 4,831 50 8 79 108 1.4 4 Finalist for Heisman Trophy; Big Ten Offensive and Quarterback of the Year Total: (22/14) 413-590 70.0 5,396 54 9 103 194 1.9 4 HT WT ARM HAND WING 40-YD 20-YD 10-YD VJ BJ SS 3C BP COMBINE 6033 231 33 1/2 09 5/8 79 1/2 5.04 2.90 1.75 28 1/2 - - - - (no broad, shuttle or 3-cone – choice) PRO DAY N/A (stood on Combine numbers; positional drills only)

STRENGTHS: Special arm talent…long-levered, but has an efficient load-and-fire release with the ball exploding off his hand…unforced velocity to drive the ball to every inch of the field…throws receivers open with a natural feel for accuracy…large-framed, sturdy passer…sees the entire field and stands tall in the pocket to allow routes to develop…comfortable making high-to-low reads, resetting his eyes on the move…productive on throws 20-plus yards (45.6 percent completions, 14 touchdowns, one interception)…plays poised and confident, showing improved reaction to pressure as the season progressed…at his best in high-pressure situations, completing 71.4 percent of passes with 12.3 yards per attempt, four touchdown passes and zero interceptions in one-score situations in the fourth quarter…not a nimble athlete, but coordinated with his pocket movements…able to fire strikes on the move without sacrificing placement…remarkable production in 2018, becoming only the sixth FBS player to throw for 50 touchdowns in a single-season – his 54 career touchdown passes ranks fourth-best in Ohio State history.

WEAKNESSES: Outstanding fastball, but needs improved touch on layered throws to put the ball between levels of the defense…busy lower body, often throwing with a wide base or flat feet…bad habit of abandoning his base instead of stepping into the rush…pocket presence showed steady improvement, but he is still on the ground level…long, lean lower body, which works against him when attempting to evade pocket pressure…not a graceful scrambler and lacks creative mobility…guilty of staring down targets, forecasting throws to defenders with his big body and eyes…timing as a passer lacks sophistication, dumping it off too quickly or holding the ball too long…doesn’t break tackles and not a powerful finisher like his size suggests (more likely to brace for contact than lower his pads into contact)…only one season of starting experience.

SUMMARY: A one-year starter at Ohio State, Haskins was a questionable fit in the Buckeyes’ shotgun, option-heavy offense, but that didn’t slow his production. During his prolific 2018 season, he broke 28 school records and set seven Big Ten records, including single-season passing yards (4,831), touchdown passes (50) and total offensive yards (4,939). Haskins makes playing quarterback look easy because he is so naturally gifted, but his inexperience also shows. While he showed improvements climbing the pocket, maneuvering vs. pressure isn’t yet a strength to his game with inconsistent results throwing off-script. He has a plus arm to gripand-rip, but he tends to telegraph throws, believing too much in his arm to compensate. His placement and touch have room for improvement, but his passing accuracy is a strength (off-target throws usually tied to messy footwork). Overall, Haskins’ pocket rhythm and lower body mechanics are the biggest concerns for his next level transition, but he showed promising improvement and his special arm has the potential to carve up pro defenses, projecting as an NFL starter with Pro Bowl upside. GRADE: 1st Round (#15 overall)

About Haskins not being just handed the job... what I don't like is that preseason seems to be what determines who starts, almost ignoring the 3 months of OTAs and camp.  And you know what drives that further? Play calling. If Jay wants to, he can easily feature Case in preseason, and keep the training wheels on Haskins.  And get a consensus for his game 1 starter by his play calling alone. I have a hunch he will do just that. 

And there is nothing wrong with that, as long as Case losing our first 4 games isn't what holds us back from making the loffs.

36 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

True... I tried to stay away from talking about Snyder, Race, etc... It does all play a part though unfortunately.

Having said that, if it's clear that he's the best one, none of that would matter.

I worry of early struggles, DC media/Snyder thing and most of all the fans. It took just a year for RG3 to go from hero to literal villain and all he did was get hurt too much and talk too much. 

Once the media gets going and that Snyder hate fills everyone's blood there is not telling who is going to get caught up in it. Honestly i think the football is the easy part. 

But he knows. So I have a little faith.  

2 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

“His stats kind of lie,” said a fourth scout. “When he’s working within the rhythm of that offense he can pick people apart. Makes it easy for him. When he gets pressured and things get in his face he’s not accurate and sprays the ball. He just can’t move his body around well enough in the pocket because he’s slow-footed. That will continue in the NFL. His movements remind me of Jameis Winston. He was an awkward athlete. He sprayed the ball over when he got pressured. Or Byron Leftwich. I just don’t see him as a constant playoff threat, the kind of quarterback you will have to worry about.” Should become the Buckeyes’ first QB taken in the first round since Art Schlichter went No. 4 in 1982. “When you see Dwayne have to throw from an NFL-type pocket, a muddled pocket, he is frantic,” said a fifth scout. “The accuracy changes. When it’s clean, yeah, he’s got a whip. Problem is when there’s inversions from different points. Tom Brady, Drew Brees, they’re exceptional working the pocket. I don’t see that with him. Can he develop it? I don’t know.”

That made me go back and re-watch one of his second half of the season games.  MSU.  Yeah, he had a real bad miss from pressure, as well as another one or two he should've placed better.  But that was about it.  He was not pressured often.  He makes decisions and gets the ball out quick.

I'm really curious what his actual pressure rate towards the end of the season was.  I have a feeling it was far lower than other QB's like Murray (despite Murray having a better o-line).  Haskins, at times, and I know this is whacko of a comparison, but at times he helps his o-line out as much as Peyton Manning.  2011 Broncos had 42 sacks combined between Kyle Orton and Tim Tebow.  2012 Broncos had half that, just 21 sacks with Peyton Manning.  Their O-line was almost identical, 4 of 5 starters were the same.

Remember how we reveled in Kirk Cousins ability to get the ball out to avoid sacks unlike RG3?  Same o-line, wildly different pressure rate.  Cousins was getting the ball out in 2.5 seconds, whereas RG3 was something like just over 3 seconds.

So let's say Haskins is still awkward when handling pressure, that'll matter less for him as compared to other QB's when the ball is moving before pressure can materialize.

The most encouraging fact to me is the noticeable improvement Haskins showed throughout the season.  He has a lot remaining to learn but based on what I have seen thus far I am confident he is up to the task.  I'm not a film expert but I did watch a bunch of Ohio State's games on ESPNU this week and there was a very notable improvement in Haskins play throughout the season.  If he improved that much in a single year as a stater at Ohio State, imagine what is possible when all he has to worry about is football and is coached up.  I believe Keenum will start, but Haskins is the future.  When exactly future starts will be determined by how the season plays out, but it is coming.  HTTR.

On 4/30/2019 at 11:57 PM, JoggingGod said:

Haskins is by far the best QB prospect the Redskins have ever had. Keep in mind I mean QB prospect and not athlete like RG3. He has a combination of arm talent, pocket presence, defensive manipulation, and leadership that you want in your guy.

Really?  I have no opinion on Haskins because I haven't seen him play but Haskins would be eating the odds it he succeed so may fail.  I will  be very pleased if Haskins can learn to perform as well as Cousins, by far the best Skins in 30 years or more.  Let's hope!

23 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

Really?  I have no opinion on Haskins because I haven't seen him play but Haskins would be eating the odds it he succeed so may fail.  I will  be very pleased if Haskins can learn to perform as well as Cousins, by far the best Skins in 30 years or more.  Let's hope!

Why would a #15 overall pick at QB be beating the odds to succeed? 

You haven't watched any of him since we took him? Surprised, given how strong your QB opinions are. 

I really do believe that Haskins should sit at least half of the upcoming season.  I'm excited and a huge fan of the pick but the Redskins shouldn't rush him.  Case Keenum is an average QB and doesn't wow, however, he's a seasoned vet with experience in huge games.  I really feel that Haskins will benefit greatly from some time on the sidelines and hard work.  No need to rush the kid.  He only started one full season in college.  He can definitely improve some parts of his game.

Hi Dwayne Haskins this is bakedtater1,

I'm hoping things work out for ya here, I'm excited to see what ya can do for this franchise. While you're here I was wondering if you could start a new trend? Please refuse to exchange jerseys with opposing teams players.. especially them pesky cowgirls vagiants and pheagels. Try to encourage your fellow teammate's to do the same. That's all, thank you good night 😊

Archived