Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

Are there examples of pocket QBs who turned into franchise guys (Manning, Brady, Wilson, rodgers) whose main knock was they couldn’t handle pressure up the gut? 

The main knock nick against Wilson was that he was short,  and Brady’s knock was that he had a weak arm if I remember correctly... 

A qb who can’t handle center blitzes hurts the run game as defenses load the box to get into the qbs head... if he can’t pass to slow down the run, it’s a little concerning to me.

15 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Are there examples of pocket QBs who turned into franchise guys (Manning, Brady, Wilson, rodgers) whose main knock was they couldn’t handle pressure up the gut? 

The main knock nick against Wilson was that he was short,  and Brady’s knock was that he had a weak arm if I remember correctly... 

A qb who can’t handle center blitzes hurts the run game as defenses load the box to get into the qbs head... if he can’t pass to slow down the run, it’s a little concerning to me.

It's perfectly valid to be concerned Haskins won't become an elite QB in the NFL.   Most QBs don't.   It's far more likely than not Haskins won't be the answer for us, or may slip in and be an ok answer for us (say like Flacco) and we have other pieces that make us good at times or bad at times.   This is a trait that could kill Haskins.   Absolutely.   But until he was on our team we had no one who could become an elite QB.   He COULD, even if that's not as likely as he won't.   Which makes today better than last week.   As some have said, even if he sucks, we don't really get set back any more than Doctson sucking.   Bad first rounders happen.   We lost nothing to take Haskins in our slot and added the slim chance he's a great potential player.   There are signs he won't be that.   And some he will.   I won't be holding my breath for the positive outcome, but I'll hope it works out until it's clear it won't.   Which means at least two years from now before I begin to make an assessment.

4 hours ago, teamcal00 said:

Big #Redskins nugget: Joe Theismann says Dwayne Haskins has decided that he wants to wear No. 7. Theismann has given permission to the rookie QB to do so. Told us he just talked to him on the phone.

Via Paulsen

It will be weird to see the "number 7" of the burgundy and gold on the field again after three and a half decades.

Theismann took the Redskins to two Super Bowls, won one and was named the MVP of the league in 1983.

Haskins has a lot to live up to wearing "number 7".

theismann.jpg

1 hour ago, SkinsGuy said:

It will be weird to see the "number 7" of the burgundy and gold on the field again after three and a half decades.

Theismann took the Redskins to two Super Bowls, won one and was named the MVP of the league in 1983.

Haskins has a lot to live up to wearing "number 7".

theismann.jpg

Agreed i don't know why Haskins would want to put that kind of pressure on himself, Pretty big shoes to fill. Say what you want about Joe T but he was a very good QB. Very good.

1 hour ago, redskinss said:

Just seems like a lot of really short passes and screens and stuff.

But I don't ever track statistics so I have no clue what the normal number is to be honest.

Me either for real

2 hours ago, JoggingGod said:
[chart]

Keep in mind that this chart covers 65 “drafted” quarterbacks since 2012. So, when you see Haskins ranks 13th, that’s 13th out of 65 QBs. Let that sink in for a while. 

Its hard for me not to think we got the best QB in the last few years if im being honest. I am trying to keep myself Zorney but the more i see the more i like. Bad situation for me. 

Girlfriend keeps it up with the "I thought we didnt like football anymore" and "I thought it could only get so big" **** all day now. 

On 4/30/2019 at 1:19 PM, goskins10 said:

Hmm..  Scot McCoughin for his faults is an extremely talented at player evaluation and highlighted Jay's abilities to @Skinsinparadise personally if I remember.

It's funny, because if I recall correctly, Jay wanted to start Colt in 2015, while Scott wanted to start QB Vikings. 

6 hours ago, Redskin4ever said:

Here is the bottom line. If Haskins busts, does it change the franchise? Does he make it any worse than it already is?

Yes.  It would mean we wasted yet another a 1st round pick. More importantly, we'd waste however many years developing him as the starting QB, when we could have been developing a different QB.  That is the cost of failing at QB.

Ask a Browns fan how things would be different if Mayfield had busted. 

2 hours ago, JoggingGod said:

Haskins played in a **** system that didn't utilize his strengths well.

I don't know how you can say that.

If you really believe that, what numbers do you think he would put up in a system suited for him?  I mean...he shattered the previous Big 10 record for passing touchdowns.

11 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

Yes.  It would mean we wasted yet another a 1st round pick. More importantly, we'd waste however many years developing him as the starting QB, when we could have been developing a different QB.  That is the cost of failing at QB.

Yeah but if the hit rate on first round QB's league wide is 28% or so as the article posted in this thread earlier suggests, and the litmus test for whether or not it was worth the risk is did you blow a first round selection, then at that point you just have to advocate for never doing it.  In the current scenario, there will be another first rounder next year, and the year after that.  If Mayfield had busted, maybe they're picking Murray this year, or Tua next?  I think the fact that we didn't move any other capital to take our shot, and that's all it is, a shot, makes this not the same as the last time we found ourselves with a rookie QB in the opening round.

1 hour ago, Tsailand said:

I think "developing" a first round QB in the year 2019 is worthy of more discussion.

There are clearly 2 schools of thinking. Play the kid, or make the kid sit. Gotta sit. No matter what.

I think its a mistake to wait a few years to try a QB that you expect to be your franchise QB.  Look at Arizona, they cut ties after 1 year. Maybe they get burned, or maybe they make the playoffs without him.

I think that is reflective of the QB development model of the modern era. Patience smatience. You double down on wasting years by waiting a few years to test your new QB.  Let's see what the kid can do.

My favorite point, shelving your bright and shiny new asset is a poor investment in many industries. You waste the prime years of an athlete's life. 

1 hour ago, Tsailand said:

It's funny, because if I recall correctly, Jay wanted to start Colt in 2015, while Scott wanted to start QB Vikings. 

You recall incorrectly. Jay and Scot went together to Dan to start Kirk over Robert. The Colt narrative is pure fiction. 

5 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

My favorite point, shelving your bright and shiny new asset is a poor investment in many industries. You waste the prime years of an athlete's life.

I think it depends on your QB situation and probably the OL strength to support a rookie QB. 

In this situation it seems that you've got a clear competition situation where whomever plays the best should get the start.  The difference is Haskins being the winner in that scenario, you would start him with the attitude that no matter how he plays, it's a rookie year and he doesn't risk being pulled.  Where Case gets the best of the competition, should he under perform, there's a time where you get the rookie some experience. McCoy is a career backup imo and not true competition

3 hours ago, Art said:

It's perfectly valid to be concerned Haskins won't become an elite QB in the NFL.   Most QBs don't.   It's far more likely than not Haskins won't be the answer for us, or may slip in and be an ok answer for us (say like Flacco) and we have other pieces that make us good at times or bad at times.   This is a trait that could kill Haskins.   Absolutely.   But until he was on our team we had no one who could become an elite QB.   He COULD, even if that's not as likely as he won't.   Which makes today better than last week.   As some have said, even if he sucks, we don't really get set back any more than Doctson sucking.   Bad first rounders happen.   We lost nothing to take Haskins in our slot and added the slim chance he's a great potential player.   There are signs he won't be that.   And some he will.   I won't be holding my breath for the positive outcome, but I'll hope it works out until it's clear it won't.   Which means at least two years from now before I begin to make an assessment.

Yeah, but, there are of couple better QBs in next years draft. Maybe drafting an WR with are first round would have been a better choice, we could have suffered through this year in prime position to pick in the top 2-3 next year....  If we don't make it to the playoffs this year, (i doubt we will) Gruden is likely gone... Allen might be gone..... It makes since to let the next HC/GM pick their QB.... 

Archived