Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

7 hours ago, KDawg said:

Honestly I'm not sure. 

I don't understand why basically on the same day Callahan was saying a starter wasn't named, the reports came out the Williams told Haskins he was the starter and then almost a week later Callahan named Haskins the starter. They can say whatever they want. That's just an odd scenario.

I'm not sure we'd ever see that with a competently run organization.

Well, my take Coach, FWIW, as noted in last weeks 'Day after' thread' was internally Haskins and the staff knew after Buffalo he was ready for them to roll with. And to that end, Coach Callahan sucicint explanation yesterday didn't lead me to personally doubt that he wasn't in full control of the decision. And his respectful handling of the situation between the three protagonists, not least as regards the 2 veterans, is something I'd really appreciate where I a player. 

Maybe I have too much faith in the HC's stand-up integrity, which grows every time I hear him talk, but that's my honest feeling on this mate. 

The FO's bungling of their end, and the apparent lack of communication therein, most certainly isn't something you'd see in a competent organisation but that's sadly what we continue to be up against. They're going to undermine any HC not called Gibbs. (You just hope whoever it will be, is strong enough to stand behind his own convictions and stand up to them.). 

By association, the chances of getting a competent one from outside is excessively slim IMHO. But that's a whole other discussion for a whole other day. 

Hail. 

38 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

The double narrative of Callahan is lying about it being his decision to start Haskins and Haskins being lazy and disinterested pretty much died with that tweet.

No it didn't.

It won't die because no one trusts the front office.

That's not a knock on Callahan's credibility. There's many scenarios which would see that Callahan was totally out of the loop on all of the goings on. But the narrative is far from dead.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

No it didn't.

It won't die because no one trusts the front office.

That's not a knock on Callahan's credibility. There's many scenarios which would see that Callahan was totally out of the loop on all of the goings on. But the narrative is far from dead.

Yes, there will always be some who think every move and utterance from the Skins that doesn't validate its dysfunction is due to Bruce and Dan's manipulating things...conspiracy theorists will always exist no matter the topic lol.

But the tweet, combined with Callahan's comments on wanting to sit and discuss the move to Haskins with the current vet QBs before making any public comments, would--I would like to think--let those particular narratives of this being dictated against Callahan's wishes and Haskins just being a lazy, disinterested draft pick by Dan to die down noticeably.

32 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Yes, there will always be some who think every move and utterance from the Skins that doesn't validate its dysfunction is due to Bruce and Dan's manipulating things...conspiracy theorists will always exist no matter the topic lol.

But the tweet, combined with Callahan's comments on wanting to sit and discuss the move to Haskins with the current vet QBs before making any public comments, would--I would like to think--let those particular narratives of this being dictated against Callahan's wishes and Haskins just being a lazy, disinterested draft pick by Dan to die down noticeably.

Maybe. Except the FO didn’t respect his wishes. Which is again the form of dysfunction.

For all of Cally's running, I am STILL waiting to see play action.

From what I read Haskins has good ball fakes yet am not sure we have seen many at all.

Without superior OL run blocking dominating game in and game out, deception is needed.  And it doesn't get any easier for a run heavy team than play action, does it?

Its not a lot of volume but I see him dropping back with big boy pants on. And it's largely not quick passing as I would expect.  I am surprised Cally hasn't dialed up a few deep despite always losing.

11 hours ago, skinny21 said:

@RandyHolt Haskins had quite a few PA plays vs the Bills, but oddly enough, I think only one on 1st down.  Frankly, I didn’t remember there being that many fakes.  

Thanks for that video.  Definitely think we should use play action on first down, or short yardage.  Despite not being a run threat, I heard that DH is great at read option ball fakes.

In our failed season, its hard not to only watch games with one eye.  If that.  Red zone and fantasy reign supreme in yet another failed Skins season.

16 hours ago, Califan007 said:

let those particular narratives of this being dictated against Callahan's wishes and Haskins just being a lazy, disinterested draft pick by Dan to die down noticeably.

Both Callahan and O'Connell made comments in pressers which bolstered this "narrative".  Virtually every single person who covers the team has said the same thing, and that after the Vikings game, something changed with Haskins and he has started to step up.  

11 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

And that’s based onnnn..........................

Him completely sucking at NFL level football, not knowing the plays, being a disinterested diva, having Dan overrule the football people to force drafting him, being on a team where the he staff think he sucks, and being a complete bust in every way for far....

3 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Him completely sucking at NFL level football, not knowing the plays, being a disinterested diva, having Dan overrule the football people to force drafting him, being on a team where the he staff think he sucks, and being a complete bust in every way for far....

... and that’s based on? 

16 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Seems like some Redskins fans are strong believers in the Browns model of establishing long-term success at the QB position:

Name a Browns QB they drafted in the first round who went on to have success elsewhere??? If you can’t, your argument is not valid. Granted the great Colt McCoy beat the Cowboys for us but he’s hardly a success story. All NFL teams fall into the sunk cost fallacy and stick with their first round bust QBs far too long. Like us with Haskins...

15 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Name a Browns QB they drafted in the first round who went on to have success elsewhere??? If you can’t, your argument is not valid. Granted the great Colt McCoy beat the Cowboys for us but he’s hardly a success story. All NFL teams fall into the sunk cost fallacy and stick with their first round bust QBs far too long. Like us with Haskins...

I agree with part of your take.

Too many teams fall into the sunk cost narrative when they shouldn't.

But you cannot call Haskins a sunk cost...yet.

I'm with you in the fact I'm not sold on him. I don't like his mechanics (and not just because of them being unorthodox, but rather because his mechanical issues lead to the majority of his mistakes) and I don't see enough improvement to really illicit any kind of belief in him yet.

Key there being: yet.

He's got 7 games to change that narrative. To show signs of forward strides. It's too early to be making such declarative statements. 

He had one throw against Buffalo that made my innards tingle. Pressure off the edge. He saw it. He stood firm. Kept his feet down without any of his major mechanical blunders and delivered an absolute missile to McLaurin on the sideline. He got crushed on the play. It was awesome. Best play I've seen from him yet.

So there's some hope. Belief? No - not yet. Hope? Yes. I hope he can build on that moment. 

I'm not making any decisions on Haskins until season's end. He showed me in that Buffalo game that with a whole week to prep he can at least be not completely terrible and that was against a pretty good Bills pass D.

Let the kid develop some. I think his issues are mostly fixable, I just don't know if WE'RE the organization that can fix them. With Andy Reid or Sean Mcvay he's probably a Pro Bowler by 2021.

56 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Name a Browns QB they drafted in the first round who went on to have success elsewhere??? If you can’t, your argument is not valid. 

Hardly.  Most QB's are only ever given one legitimate chance for an organization to invest, develop and build around them.  The leash is a lot shorter, and development much less of a focus, for QB's who try to succeed elsewhere.

To be honest, I’m just hoping to see some flashes from him and smart plays as the season progresses.  As for the mechanical stuff, I’m going to wait to see what the offseason brings in that regard.  

I’ve maintained that I believe it’s really difficult for a rookie qb, in-game, to focus on tweaks (or wholesale changes) to one’s mechanics, when you’re also processing/dealing with a new offense, new targets, reading defenses, protection calls, situational football, NFL speed, and so on.  There’s just too much to think about.  

Add to all of that, he’s having to do this on a team that isn’t very good to begin with.  

Unfortunately for Haskins, it’s very likely he’s back to learning a new offense next year.  The good news is that some of the other stuff should be a bit easier, or at least he should be a bit more accustomed to it.  

So my hope is that we see a jump in his mechanics going into next season.  If he improves his mechanics, along with further adjusting to the NFL and learning the new offense, perhaps we see him follow the more traditional 3 year breakout arc for qbs.  

With all of that said, we’re in a pretty terrible position.  With the almost guaranteed high draft pick, the option to take a top qb, a new coach coming in - being ‘saddled’ with Haskins and bringing a new offense - oline flux going into FA, Smith and his contract on board, and terrible management (which impacts, or has impacted all of the above).... it’s just all a huge ****ing mess*.

* and much more I’ve left out

Archived