Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DJ Swearinger Released by Cardinals today

veteranskinsfan

Swearinger, 28, had started the Cardinals first four games this season and made 28 tackles with one pass defensed. However, he had struggled in coverage this season and had allowed a passer rating of 141.3 on passes thrown against him entering Sunday's game, according to Pro Football Focus.

from ESPN

According to ESPN:

Swearinger, 28, had started the Cardinals first four games this season and made 28 tackles with one pass defensed. However, he had struggled in coverage this season and had allowed a passer rating of 141.3 on passes thrown against him entering Sunday's game, according to Pro Football Focus.

Edit: Looks like @Riggo-toni beat me to it.

8 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

He wasn't playing that badly for us last season. His struggles in Arizona don't have any bearing on that decision last year.

We were able to mask his deficiencies in the first half of the season (when he was a PFF Midseason All Pro). However, in the second half, he was getting abused in coverage. Unfortunately for him, I am not sure what adjustments he can make this late in his career. 

11 minutes ago, carex said:

but we were so short sighted to release him

Cutting him with one game to go in the season instead of suspending him for that game, letting his comments fade away into the off-season, and not trying to do what competent front offices do and try to trade him for something (late round pick) is what a lot of us had issues with.  

29 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Cutting him with one game to go in the season instead of suspending him for that game, letting his comments fade away into the off-season, and not trying to do what competent front offices do and try to trade him for something (late round pick) is what a lot of us had issues with.  

I thought people credited Arizona with a competent FO these days.  That's not what they did.  In fact more often then not Swearinger has been let got at odd times for a quality player in this league.  Houston cut him in May of one year after failing to make a trade, Tampa waived him in November

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

I enjoyed his play and how he tried to keep players and coaches accountable. I can understand the complaints against him, but he was a good player for us. He's probably superfluous with Collins on the team though.

I'd put him at FS in a heartbeat, but that begs the question, why did he get released again?  What the hell he do this time?

1 hour ago, Riggo-toni said:

from ESPN

That settles that.  No is that out of position, communication, scheme, not caring anymore?  Sounds like a scapegoated cap casualty,  that franchise isnt exactly the model of consistency

Archived