Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Whats going to happen when Alex Smith is healthy next year

REDSKIN JR

3 minutes ago, redskindan07 said:

I would think that we would have the ability to keep & trade Case and or Alex but that would require a front office that had a clue about what they were doing

Case is a FA after this season.

Nobody will trade for Alex coming off that injury.  

Alex either stays on the roster until there isn’t a huge cap hit, or they cut him and take the remainder of the cap hit. 

I will go against the grain as I usually do, and say that Alex plays again.

My prediction is that he plays and starts for another team, but I just can't say which team.

I believe he has the will, the desire, the ability, ultimately the healthy recovery, and the demand for him will be there ;

Similar to where the Skins are at now, some NFL team will want an experienced QB to bridge the gap during their rookie QB of the future's learning process.

He's been through a discouraging recovery, but I'm not convinced that it spells doom for him. I seem him recovering, but just taking a little longer than usual.

3 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

Being that Colt and Case are gone after this year we will need a veteran backup.

Alex would be perfect for that role.

Letting Case and Colt both go after this season on the assumption that Alex will be healthy enough to ever play again, let alone in 2020 if DH goes down, is a huge risk. I don't see any way they take that. They'll keep one of them to be DH's backup. Unless we have a new coach...then he'll probably bring in a vet QB who he thinks can run his system well. 

Smith was sitting in the box with Dan on Sunday, I would like to think we would post June cut him and spread that debt over 2 years but with this FO I don't use conventional thinking.

If Bruce is still here I wouldn't be surprised if Alex is back next year if he is healthy, that's a big if but he could be medically cleared by that time.

My gut tells me Alex will fully rehab, try to make a comeback and then retire once he realizes the odds are against him.

He will be forced to retire due to injury.  The Skins are screwed with his cap anyway you slice it.  Sure they'll try and figure something out to settle in some manner that's beneficial to both sides.  I'm not going to waste time trying to figure it out as he can just remain on Injured List as long as he and they want.  

On 9/17/2019 at 11:06 PM, Rufus T Firefly said:

This is a serious question- why have I seen so many people say 6-2? We were 6-3 and losing to Houston when he got hurt. But it''s just weird how often I've seen 6-2 written on this site. 

The big reason, IMO, is because fans are so desperate to think that the organization won on the whole Cousins debacle, and desperately wanted affirmation that Smith > Cousins...so they cling to the 6-2 or 6-3 narrative while ignoring what our record was in 2016 after 10 games (hint...it was better than 6-4) and we still missed the playoffs that year.

1 hour ago, DJHJR86 said:

The big reason, IMO, is because fans are so desperate to think that the organization won on the whole Cousins debacle, and desperately wanted affirmation that Smith > Cousins...so they cling to the 6-2 or 6-3 narrative while ignoring what our record was in 2016 after 10 games (hint...it was better than 6-4) and we still missed the playoffs that year.

True. Not many people remember that Kirk got 5-3-1 with DeSean, Garcon, Crowder, Reed, Davis, and Thompson while Alex was able to get 6-3 without DeSean, Garcon, and half his games without Crowder. It puts a different spin on the narrative altogether.

16 hours ago, NickyJ said:

True. Not many people remember that Kirk got 5-3-1 with DeSean, Garcon, Crowder, Reed, Davis, and Thompson while Alex was able to get 6-3 without DeSean, Garcon, and half his games without Crowder. It puts a different spin on the narrative altogether.

Who were the running backs in 2016 and 2018?

1 hour ago, DJHJR86 said:

Who were the running backs in 2016 and 2018?

2016 had Chris Thompson, Robert Kelley, Matt Jones, and Mack Brown who combined for 1,602 yards and 13 touchdowns.

2018 had AP, Chris Thompson, Kapri Bibbs who combined for 1,321 yards and 10 touchdowns.

If you want, you can also count Kirk Cousins who had 96 yards and 4 TDs while Alex Smith had 168 yards and 1 TD in 7 fewer games.

1 hour ago, NickyJ said:

2016 had Chris Thompson, Robert Kelley, Matt Jones, and Mack Brown who combined for 1,602 yards and 13 touchdowns.

2018 had AP, Chris Thompson, Kapri Bibbs who combined for 1,321 yards and 10 touchdowns.

If you want, you can also count Kirk Cousins who had 96 yards and 4 TDs while Alex Smith had 168 yards and 1 TD in 7 fewer games.

2016 also had a 1st place schedule, a worse defense, and no AP.  2018 had the 3rd easiest strength of schedule and a negative point differential for those first 10 games.  

16 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

2016 also had a 1st place schedule, a worse defense, and no AP.  2018 had the 3rd easiest strength of schedule and a negative point differential for those first 10 games.  

In 2018, Alex won all but 3 games: 2 to teams that went to the divisional and conference championships, 1 to a team that went 7-9.

Those goalposts there are looking kind of rough after being moved around so much. Good to know that AP is worth as much as Robert Kelley, Matt Jones, DeSean, Garcon, and 6 games of Crowder combined, though. You should be his agent, AP is getting seriously underpaid.

9 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

In 2018, Alex won all but 3 games: 2 to teams that went to the divisional and conference championships, 1 to a team that went 7-9.

Those goalposts there are looking kind of rough after being moved around so much. Good to know that AP is worth as much as Robert Kelley, Matt Jones, DeSean, Garcon, and 6 games of Crowder combined, though. You should be his agent, AP is getting seriously underpaid.

In 2016, Kirk "won" all of the first 10 games, except 3 to teams that went to the playoffs.

There are no goalposts being moved.  Just showing that "QB WINZ" is a ridiculous way of assessing a quarterback, considering there are a myriad of other factors that go into it.  Alex Smith had nothing to do with our record.  We won in spite of him.

• 4 weeks later...

Sheehan was talking about this on the radio this morning.  Apparently Alex is intent on trying to play.  He was even on the field last week (not during practice) throw some passes, and (tentatively) taking some drops.  You also had a report come out that Alex informed a speaking audience recently that he had to undergo 17 separate surgeries on the leg.  What that ultimately means is left to conjecture (some might describe a rather simple procedure without full anesthetic to be a "surgery").

At any rate, there has been a ton of speculation from various people in the medical field that Alex may not ever be able to play again. To that, I would say the only people who truly know at this point are Alex and his physicians, who have access to all of his records and are closely monitoring his healing process.  He could surprise us.  And to the point that Alex is only putting on a show because he needs to demonstrate an intention to play to get paid, that's simply not true.  If the Redskins want to cut him, that's up to them.  He'll get his guaranteed money either way.  There is no reason why Alex would be putting on a show for the organization.  He wants to play, and it'll be interesting to see how what happens, regardless of whether he ends up with the Redskins.

13 minutes ago, kfrankie said:

Sheehan was talking about this on the radio this morning.  Apparently Alex is intent on trying to play.  He was even on the field last week (not during practice) throw some passes, and (tentatively) taking some drops.  You also had a report come out that Alex informed a speaking audience recently that he had to undergo 17 separate surgeries on the leg.  What that ultimately means is left to conjecture (some might describe a rather simple procedure without full anesthetic to be a "surgery").

At any rate, there has been a ton of speculation from various people in the medical field that Alex may not ever be able to play again. To that, I would say the only people who truly know at this point are Alex and his physicians, who have access to all of his records and are closely monitoring his healing process.  He could surprise us.  And to the point that Alex is only putting on a show because he needs to demonstrate an intention to play to get paid, that's simply not true.  If the Redskins want to cut him, that's up to them.  He'll get his guaranteed money either way.  There is no reason why Alex would be putting on a show for the organization.  He wants to play, and it'll be interesting to see how what happens, regardless of whether he ends up with the Redskins.

I respect Smith's toughness and attitude.  However who cares if he wants to play again?  The bottom line is that he is in no position to help this team for next season & beyond.  By next season he will 36 yrs old, coming off major injures & will not have played for almost 2 years.  Also - at best he is a game manager who can complement a team but will not be the primary reason for a team's success.

The Redskins need to build for the future, and a QB in Smith's situation is not what they need at this time.  I say cut your losses & get rid of him one or another - he should not be on the field for the Skins any longer regardless of his health.  They will have lots of extra cap room next season so I am sure that they can figure it out. Good luck Alex - just not as an actual player for the Skins moving forward.

Archived