Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Whats going to happen when Alex Smith is healthy next year

REDSKIN JR

1 minute ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

This is a serious question- why have I seen so many people say 6-2? We were 6-3 and losing to Houston when he got hurt. But it''s just weird how often I've seen 6-2 written on this site. 

Oh 😂 yes. That’s right we were 6-3 at that point. I guess People forget which game it happened in or what the record was at that point. 

Just now, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Oh 😂 yes. That’s right we were 6-3 at that point. I guess People forget which game it happened in or what the record was at that point. 

Yeah, it's not a big deal, and I' not trying to single you out or anything, and I don't think there is a going to be an answer from someone to clear it up. It just seems like I see 6-2 a lot here. Maybe I'm imagining it.

31 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

The interesting thing was since that game the defense gave up less than 24 once and that was to Jacksonville. And yeah everyone will say the injuries did us in and that may be true, but since we only scored more than 24 once in the games smith was in I would have expected the same sort of collapse.

8 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

The interesting thing was since that game the defense gave up less than 24 once and that was to Jacksonville. And yeah everyone will say the injuries did us in and that may be true, but since we only scored more than 24 once in the games smith was in I would have expected the same sort of collapse.

the offense did suffer the same collapse that the defense did, didn’t they? 

9 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

We were mostly winning close games against bad or struggling teams and the three Ls were blowouts. The schedule was getting tougher and the luck was running out. We weren't going anywhere last year. The Smith injury just gave people the excuse to perpetuate a fantasy about the team and/or Smith being better than they were.

4 hours ago, profusion said:

I believe "if" is the proper conjunction to use in that question.

I don't think there's much of a chance Alex comes back.

Ok, let's assume the word "if" is substituted for "when" and it's hypothetical

I'm seriously still curious what happens to him, personnel-wise.

5 hours ago, REDSKIN JR said:

just want opions

Not picking on you, but it's kind of funny that your spelling of the word, more resembles "opioids" than "opinions", which is ironic because that could be what Alex has been relying on. But you offer a good question though. I havn't seen the question truly addressed in a serious way.

I doubt he'll ever play in the NFL again. If he was 25 instead of 35 then maybe, but not at his age after an injury like that. I don't think that leg will ever truly be NFL ready again and even if he claimed it was, nobody is going to take a chance on him at 36+ coming off of that injury. We just drafted a 1st round QB as well so unless DH is an enormous and almost instant bust then Alex's playing days here are done anyway.

I know he says he wants to play again but what do you really expect him to say? Pretty much any NFL player in that position would likely say the same thing. The dude is on a gold paved road to retirement. He's getting huge guaranteed paychecks for the next couple of years most likely, for basically standing around being a half coach half cheerleader. 

I do think he would make an excellent coach so I certainly wouldn't mind him staying here in that capacity. 

4 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

the offense did suffer the same collapse that the defense did, didn’t they? 

If you look at the numbers, the offense was pretty much the same with Smith as without. I discount the last game against Philly because it was a pointless game and we clearly had no interest in competing.

If cleared to play i could see him serving as a back up. I also could see him getting cut, esp. if we have a new coach who embraces a youth movement and so the cap hit won't sting as much. Right now, Miami might love the cap hit because with all those rookie contracts they need some ballast to clear the cap minimum. I could almost imagine a trade, but it'd have to be for a very low pick or cuttable player with a team that just has huge amounts of cap to burn.

Smith is a great teammate and a safe QB. There are teams that could use him. I think the combo of bad receivers and a weird fit with Jay did him in last year.

18 minutes ago, Burgold said:

If cleared to play i could see him serving as a back up. I also could see him getting cut, esp. if we have a new coach who embraces a youth movement and so the cap hit won't sting as much. Right now, Miami might love the cap hit because with all those rookie contracts they need some ballast to clear the cap minimum. I could almost imagine a trade, but it'd have to be for a very low pick or cuttable player with a team that just has huge amounts of cap to burn.

Smith is a great teammate and a safe QB. There are teams that could use him. I think the combo of bad receivers and a weird fit with Jay did him in last year.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/alex-smith-3337/

In those situations the Redskins are going to take the cap hit regardless.  Smith is likely still going to be their largest cap hit next year even if traded or cut.  The only time that his cap number is reasonable ($10M) is 2021.  My vote would be to simply get rid of him & absorb the big hit next season - time to move on.  They will have adequate cap space to do this next season & then will have plenty of space the following season when hopefully they have a new FO and coaching staff.

If Allen and Gruden are gone, the new FO will make Smith take a physical, which he will fail, so the Skins can cut him and offset some of the cap hit with the insurance payout. It's frankly too bad the Skins didn't do that this year while trading away or cutting all their high prices vets to clear the cap room and set us up for the future.  It is not worth continuing to mortgage the future to go 6-10 rather than 3-13.

He will be named head coach.

11 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

And, we had Houston on the ropes, moving the ball well, until Alex threw the pick 6 from out of Houston's end zone. 

Archived