Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Erosion Of The Redskins Fanbase

samy316

22 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I'm sure they know...but it eliminates them having something to spin. 

Its amazing that they spend time doctoring attendance figures & spinning the whole thing instead of actually addressing the real issue. In the end it should be all about winning & perhaps coming clean with your fanbase.  I just don't buy this argument about Allen helping with the new stadium since i have hard time imaging lots of fans putting down megabucks to watch this crap.  I just get a feeling the Richie Rich is just infatuated with Bruce & will let him do whatever he likes for as long as he wants.  Strange.

On 11/19/2019 at 4:32 PM, Renegade7 said:

That's jus not fair, theres no telling how many games the stadium would need to be "empty" for change.  And it will never be empty as long as it's getting filled by opposing fans.  Jus because we dont buy the tickets doesnt mean no one else will.

And therein lies a big problem. the DC area is a town full of transplants. Not like Pittsburgh, KC, or Cleveland where most people are born and bred hometwoners.

7 minutes ago, SlinginSammy HOF '63 said:

And therein lies a big problem. the DC area is a town full of transplants. Not like Pittsburgh, KC, or Cleveland where most people are born and bred hometwoners.

It's not full, it jus has a lot, theres a difference.  This is one if the largest metro areas in the country, jus because theres a lot of people from other areas means nothing, look at the Nats and Caps, are their stadiums taken over by other fans?  Is it because caps and nats fans are all from here?

19 minutes ago, KingGibbs said:

There is no reason to go to a Redskins game right now. If you still go you are just a Snyder puppet. 

How much of this thread have you read and why people go for different reasons?

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

It's not full, it jus has a lot, theres a difference.  This is one if the largest metro areas in the country, jus because theres a lot of people from other areas means nothing, look at the Nats and Caps, are their stadiums taken over by other fans?  Is it because caps and nats fans are all from here?

I agree with you. I think the problem is when seats empty out and ticket prices go down the vacuum is created and the transplants who haven't seen their team live will go for 20 or 30 bucks. Then you have Philly and Giants fans who can simply make a day trip to see their team in a road game.

I just wonder how long of dropping merchandise sales and empty seats it's going to take before the blue blood money-maker franchises start to question Snyder on his lack of contributing to the shared profits.

42 minutes ago, TMK9973 said:

This article resonates with me so much.

I am 37 and Redskins games were a family event in our house in the 80s, 90s, and hell even up through '12 

It was a bond in our family. Now I feel like I would be a terrible parent if I passed this on to my twin girls (they have championship onesies from the Caps and Nationals though).

What sucks is how good it was. Even in 2005, this town went nuts when Sean Taylor returned that fumble for a TD against the Bucs.

I am not sure that a random 10-6 playoff year brings people back now. It is going to have to be something completely 180 from the last 20 years 

1 minute ago, Kelvin Bryant said:

The term "erosion" seems far too gradual and geological for what has happened this year. Maybe change the thread title to "Implosion Of The Redskins Fanbase"?

You're right, today it feels more like a sinkhole.  Cracks are everywhere and the ground is giving way.  The only question now is how much substructure is left and how long will Redskin Park stand?

54 minutes ago, SlinginSammy HOF '63 said:

I just wonder how long of dropping merchandise sales and empty seats it's going to take before the blue blood money-maker franchises start to question Snyder on his lack of contributing to the shared profits.

I'm genuinely curious how much the other owners care. 

On one hand, you could make a little more money if a traditional/historic franchise in a big market was pulling its weight. On the other hand, all the owners compete with one another so is it worth potentially strengthening an opponent for a slight bump in the bottom line?

I don't know that answer, but I can imagine that they don't mind having ****ty teams they compete with. 

3 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I'm genuinely curious how much the other owners care. 

I don't know that answer, but I can imagine that they don't mind having ****ty teams they compete with. 

I would imagine their thinking is probably along the lines of...in order to have The Patriots and the Steelers you have to have The Bengals and The Redskins.  

Somebody has to be an example of what not to do.  Might as well be our team.

1 hour ago, SlinginSammy HOF '63 said:

I agree with you. I think the problem is when seats empty out and ticket prices go down the vacuum is created and the transplants who haven't seen their team live will go for 20 or 30 bucks. Then you have Philly and Giants fans who can simply make a day trip to see their team in a road game.

I ask myself the same question.  My concern is it wont be overnight and the damage to the fan base may be irreparable by time it does, it will need to be built from scratch again.

46 minutes ago, Painkiller said:

I would imagine their thinking is probably along the lines of...in order to have The Patriots and the Steelers you have to have The Bengals and The Redskins.  

Somebody has to be an example of what not to do.  Might as well be our team.

I'll double down and say as long as they are making billions, why should the Pat's care the other three teams in their division are a waste of space?  They are guaranteed a home playoff game every year, that makes up for whatever money they could be making.

As I had mentioned before, it is like losing a friend from my childhood.  

I think the thing that angers me the most and I am sure good portion of fans on here, is the perceived lack of action and the factual lack of communication.  To sit in your owner's box and office in Ashburn while the fans suffer and ultimately walk away without saying a word.

I don't know what changed this year, the build up over two decades of suck, the way the Trent Williams and Kirk Cousins' situations were handled but this is the first year I have not gotten together with my buddies to watch a game.  It's also the first time I almost find myself rooting against them in a different sense, in the faint hope that it has to get worse before it gets better type of way.

The Redskins are reportedly no longer Washington’s favorite team. Duh – where have you been for the last two years?

A Washington Post poll conducted two weeks after the Nationals won the World Series shockingly shows the Nats are now D.C. resident's favorite team over the Redskins with the Capitals, who won the Stanley Cup two years ago, a close third.

Anyone watching "FedUp Field" deteriorate from big crowds to small crowds to even smaller crowds dominated by opposing fans knows the Redskins have killed the loyal base that was theirs since the Senators left town in 1972. With no baseball for 33 years plus mediocre basketball and hockey, of course, the Redskins dominated with their two runs of football greatness with three Super Bowl championships. 

Winners are beloved in Washington. Losers are exiled.

Daniel Snyder has been an awful owner by steadily undermining the football side of his marketing treasure since buying the Redskins in 1999. But even Snyder living in his bubble should be worried about the Post poll. Maybe a survey before the Nats won would be a little more realistic, but the bottom line is there is no Redskins buzz anymore.

No buzz about the first-round quarterback who probably won’t turn into anything special at the NFL level. He should have waited another year to further develop because the NFL is bad at improving passers, especially a team that’s about to change coaches again. Sure, the next coach will double-pinky swear to improve Dwayne Haskins but ask Robert Griffin III, Jason Campbell or even Patrick Ramsey how that worked.

There’s no buzz about the Redskins’ other first-rounder Montez Sweat, who has done little. Most years, there would be outright concern over a first-rounder not succeeding, but fans can’t muster enough strength to care.

Snyder will surely look at poll numbers and say a winner will turn things around and they’re close, right Bruce? Team president Bruce Allen will nod yes as he sinks a putt on his office green that reportedly sees regular matches between the two.

But the Redskins are rocketing towards 1-15 with players that look like they’ve given up despite lip service to the contrary. And if they don’t care, why should fans?

Until Snyder cares enough to fire Allen, fans won’t care what the Redskins do. That’s pretty damn pathetic, but then that’s the Redskins Way now.

Rick Snider has covered Washington sports since 1978. Follow him on Twitter: @Snide_Remarks.

https://thefandc.radio.com/redskins-sinking-like-a-rock-to-the-bottom

1 hour ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

This article resonates with me so much.

I am 37 and Redskins games were a family event in our house in the 80s, 90s, and hell even up through '12 

It was a bond in our family. Now I feel like I would be a terrible parent if I passed this on to my twin girls (they have championship onesies from the Caps and Nationals though).

What sucks is how good it was. Even in 2005, this town went nuts when Sean Taylor returned that fumble for a TD against the Bucs.

I am not sure that a random 10-6 playoff year brings people back now. It is going to have to be something completely 180 from the last 20 years 

Agree with (and feel) all of this.  I'm 44, grew up in Fairfax County, own tons of Redskins gear, and had season tickets from the '03 season through the '13 season  (first 2 GA seats, then 2 in the club, then 4 GA).  My son turned 11 this week.  He's crazy into the NFL, fantasy football, and sports generally. He lives and dies by the Nationals, Capitals, and...the Saints. He picked the Saints for himself because of how awesome they were in Madden 19, and how much fun their offense is to watch.  He's not been to a Redskins game (or any NFL game) since we took him to the club level once as a toddler.  And he's never asked to go.  The Redskins just aren't relevant to him -- haven't been part of his childhood in the way the Nats and the Caps have.  So for his birthday I broke down and bought him an Alvin Kamara Saints jersey, which he's proudly worn to school each darned day since. 

That's what the Redskins have lost as a result of what they've done to fans over the past decade.  Not just yesterday, not just today, but an entire generation of the future. 

1 hour ago, FedEx Nosebleed said:

That's what the Redskins have lost as a result of what they've done to fans over the past decade.  Not just yesterday, not just today, but an entire generation of the future. 

And this will further erode the fanbase because there's a better chance your grandkids someday will follow in his footsteps than yours.

This franchise is very close to needing a total reset to ever recover. New owner, new team name, new stadium. Leave the Redskins as a legacy of the past. 

I feel sorry for younger fans who weren't around or don't remember the glory days (70s to early 90s). It must be impossible for them to fathom what the Redskins meant to this town back then. The Caps and Nats winning championships were great...but IMO the level to which they energized the city pales in comparison to the electricity the Redskins generated in their Super Bowl years. You had to be there to believe it...and, damn, I miss it.

2 hours ago, 4Redskins said:

I feel sorry for younger fans who weren't around or don't remember the glory days (70s to early 90s). It must be impossible for them to fathom what the Redskins meant to this town back then. The Caps and Nats winning championships were great...but IMO the level to which they energized the city pales in comparison to the electricity the Redskins generated in their Super Bowl years. You had to be there to believe it...and, damn, I miss it.

I'm in my mid-40s so my childhood and those times with this franchise are inexorably forever linked - heck even the commercials I watched hold memories. I remember a few years ago getting such a thrill that someone uploaded the Joe Jacoby/ Mark May TheaterVision commercial to YouTube. I must have watched it a hundred times and it transports me back to being 8 years old and watching cartoons in my grandmother's basement when that commercial would come on. On the walls and shelves of my Grandmother's basement? Redskins merchandise of every type and size. 

We are aging and Dan Snyder not only has done his best to stomp all over our memories, but has all but ensured there is no one to replace us. 

Washington Redskins

1937 - 1999

RIP

21 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I can respect this take, my dad was born in 1959.  To confirm, did you see DC Stadium taken over by Packer fans.  The 2019 Eagles Takeover game was what I was referring too, wouldnt be shocked if it happened again this year.  Same situation where they gonna be fighting for a playoff spot and we're right down the street.  This could end up changing the way we look at that fan base if they start taking over our stadium every year, it was a home game for them, but they didnt treat it like the Linc. Yet.

Renegade7, I was born in 53 and my Dad in 1930.  I agree with all your points. Even when fans disappeared in the early years, we enjoyed watching the Redskins build into a championship franchise and had pride.  I don't think I have ever seen nor would have dreamed it would become as bad as this. Not only is Snyder an inept owner, he seems the type to move the team for selfish and business reasons.  I never thought I would say this but no football in DC is better than the trash operations and embarrassment he has given us.  Our talent has been underachieving due to the FO leadership and that won't change without Allen and Dan gone.

19 hours ago, thebluefood said:

It's sorta funny - apparently, JKC was going to fire Joe Gibbs after his 0-5 start and rehire George Allen but his son, John (at least according to John) said it would be a disastrous idea and The Squire relented. And Gibbs was still a somewhat unknown commodity at the time but he remained patient and it may have been the most important decision he made as owner of the team.

Schottenheimer, for better or worse, was a known commodity by 2001 and got kicked to the curb after an 8-8 season and Snyder opened the proverbial "mystery box." That may be the turning point for his regime. It's pretty much been all downhill since then. You sort of have to wonder what would have been if Snyder were patient and stuck with Martyball for another season or two.

I totally agree!

21 hours ago, dicksogj said:

Yep & finished the season by winning 8 of 11. What was even dumber was that they didn't want Marty to have front office duties so that he could relinquish them to that genius Cerrato.  LOL

How moronic that move was and the years of the Cerrato suffering, only to be repeated with this Allen fiasco and more years of torture and the complete destruction of the franchise.  Great "culture" Allen, we are so proud.  I only wish the media would continually emphasize daily, the catastrophe created by Allen and Snyder.  I wish they would name every TV highlight of all sports mishaps and bad plays from all pro and college sports teams as "Snydered" or "Bruced"....much like the highlight "You got Mossed" with Randy Moss.  I want it rubbed in until Snyder takes notice since he could care less about the fans opinions.

10 hours ago, 4Redskins said:

Yes, it's hard for me to believe (I'm 31). It would feel like bizarro world to take a time machine back to 1986 or something and see them going toe to toe with Montana and the 49ers, or watching the news in '91 "As the Redskins just keep on rolling, blowing out yet another team, poised for as another Super Bowl run"

Literally all I have to hold on to is a botched snap, 5-0 or we dont go, and RGIII. How ****ing embarrassing is that.

Archived