Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Erosion Of The Redskins Fanbase

samy316

22 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

That stadium could be bone dry empty and hed still turn profit because of TV deal, so taking it out on us makes no sense.

Taking it out on the guys and girls that pay their hard-earned money to support this team through good and bad makes absolutely no sense. 

But to the wider point there, it would have an effect as without the fans, and the ambience therein, there is NO TV spectacle. The TV company's/ sponsors et al would SOON be asking SERIOUS questions and not negotiating any other major deals going forward if the brand was hit so severely like that. Which ultimately hit's the owners. 

The problem there though is organising such a boycott. Or even an en masse walkout which would send a deafening message. Some fans are always going to have that overriding need to attend/ stay through the game regardless. So getting a unilateral boycott show of protest is a terribly hard thing to organise. 

Even more so in the States where fan groups etc isn't that prevalent a thing to mobilise people. 

Hail. 

NFL gates are apparently shared 60/40 (60 going to home team and 40 to a general pot that gets divided among the 32 teams).  This mf'er just won't care about any of these boycotts apparently.  Son of a....

I think the best bet would be for all of DMV region to just refuse to contribute money towards the new stadium.  Put political pressure on reps to say don't spend taxpayer dollars on this dumpster of a franchise.

16 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Taking it out on the guys and girls that pay their hard-earned money to support this team through good and bad makes absolutely no sense. 

But to the wider point there, it would have an effect as without the fans, and the ambience therein, there is NO TV spectacle. The TV company's/ sponsors et al would SOON be asking SERIOUS questions and not negotiating any other major deals going forward if the brand was hit so severely like that. Which ultimately hit's the owners. 

The problem there though is organising such a boycott. Or even an en masse walkout which would send a deafening message. Some fans are always going to have that overriding need to attend/ stay through the game regardless. So getting a unilateral boycott show of protest is a terribly hard thing to organise. 

Even more so in the States where fan groups etc isn't that prevalent a thing to mobilise people. 

Hail. 

And this only works if you get non-Redskins fans to stop watching too. 100% of Redskins fans could tune out starting now and no one would really feel it. There would be a dip in locals ratings, but local ratings don’t mean much. Redskins-Eagles is still going to draw the eyeballs and attention of Eagles fans nationwide AND gamblers, fansty football participants, etc. Heck, gambling only accounts for probably 50% of viewership and those viewers don’t care about the state of any particular team. 

There is no tangible or viable way for the fans to actually “hurt” Snyder financially. There is a reason the team value has skyrocketed during his ownership— and it obviously has nothing to do with on field results or fan support. If it makes fans feel better to withhold their dollars and attention that’s fine. It makes sense. But it has no actual effect on Dan... at all. 

The only thing that DOES have effect is hoping that Dan still cares enough that he is capable of being personally embarrassed/upset and tries to make the changes the fans want. That’s the only way any sort of “protest” would work— causing him to take action due to understanding what his customers want as opposed to taking action out of fear of lost profits. 

He might be a recluse and he might be delusional, but he isn’t blind. I mean he sees the stadium on Sunday just like we do. He has to have at least some inkling that the fans are not pleased. Sounds like he is very insulated, but unless he’s just totally lost his marbles I’m sure he understands that his customers aren’t currently pleased with the product. 

In a weird way, I take personally what Snyder has done to this franchise. 

I have so many happy memories of watching the games with my parents--the Over the Hill Gang, the Riggo Drill, etc. A small part of my own family's history is intertwined with this team, just like so many other fans.

I was looking forward to passing it down to my sons, of sharing what gave me joy on so many Sundays. I just don't know that I can do it. Despite the matching uniforms, this isn't what I grew up with.

Sell the team, Dan.

I see Dan and Bruce are back to lying about attendance now that Lafemina is gone.  57k is such a bad lie its laughable.  Beat writer in attendance estimated 30-35k at peak.  At very best there were 40k there, not even close.  That was probably the worst attended regular weather game in the history of FedEx.

It has an effect on Dan.

The Redskins used to be the most valuable team in the NFL. Now they are seventh. It may not seem like much, but that's just the beginning.

The Stadium is now 20 years old. It's considered one of the worst in the league. Snyder wants a new stadium. If no one is showing up to games, how does that affect Synder's ability to land a deal for a new Stadium? The deal with Hogan for a spot near the National Harbor fell through last year, and that was before things got really ugly this season.

https://www.marylandmatters.org/blog/hogan-sidelines-deal-with-redskins/

"Further, numerous media reports suggested that Hogan would be risking damage to his reputation by spending political capital to help Snyder, whose tenure as owner of the Redskins has been marked by prolonged under-achievement on the field and a mediocre — and overly-expensive — fan experience at FedEx Field."

That's from February. Imagine how it will be going forward?

Snyder is a billionaire, and billionaires will always make more and more money no matter what they do, so that's never going to be an issue for Snyder. But there are other things he likely cares about. He's watching other owners, especially his idol Jerry Jones, creating these ridiculous monuments to themselves and he wants one too. A crappy team nobody watches or cares about will make it tougher to get that. We'll see.

If anyone watched the Sunday morning Fantasy Football show yesterday, Matthew Berry was on point throughout the show taking shots at Bruce Allen.

Matthew is a life-long Skins fan and he's suffering like the rest of us.  Yesterday, every time a Redskin player was mentioned (McLaurin and Guice to be specific), Matthew would first mockingly say, "I'm told they're close.  And that the culture is damn good."  And then he'd discuss the player's fantasy capabilities.

But he referenced Bruce's idiotic comments sarcastically at least 4-5 times.  Loved it.

16 hours ago, SlinginSammy HOF '63 said:

For people who are generational fans or from the DC area,

I was both. 

Trust me on this one, folks: your Sundays are better used when they're not spent with this clown show.

(And before anyone asks: I'm still here because though I do not actively cheer for or materially support this team anymore, I still follow them as they are a part of my hometown's cultural landscape, albeit an increasingly irrelevant one)

1 hour ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Hail. 

I talked about that in last post in fan revolt thread.  Some come to games to be with people that feel same way they do or have known for years.  If they stay home, that fandom will eventually die.

I still go to be with other fans and let team know how I feel.  I dont think we can get the stadium empty because this is about protesting the owner, not the team.  I feel if you going to go, stay open to sell the team chants, which people seem to be more open to then booing, suprised how little booing their was, that's how worn down we are as a fan base.

Sell the Team needs to be fan rally cry to stay focused on Snyder while not giving up being a fan, you can be a fan if Redskins and hate Snyder, having to pick one is a false choice.

I got to stadium to encourage my team and call them out, I feel better doing that in person with other people that feel same way

IMG_20191117_173114_637.jpg

Additionally, the tv revenue is shared, I dont believe even convincing everyone to turn off their tv will affect his pockets it will jus piss off the other teams.  But do we want to really stop watching the team to force change?  Should we stop being fans to get to him to change to help justify being fans again?

3 hours ago, -JB- said:

Think about the PATHETIC individuals who still subject themselves to the abuse that is the Washington Football Team.  How do you not feel like an absolute LOSER when you attend these games?  There is nothing better you can do with your time?  Just continue to stuff Dan’s pockets, buying and wearing team apparel.  Blind loyalty to a franchise that doesn’t give two ****s about you.  I feel sorry for these people.

To ignore your misplaced angst and answer the question you asked:

1.  People, fellowship w other fans.

2.  It was cold but not terrible weather.  Nice day to be outside and at an event.

3.  DS is going to make his money regardless.  Tickets sold look good by the profit is already built in.  Did you happen to watch the game on the tv?  If so, you fed the beast.

4.  I’m not so naive to think that any team really gives a crap about the fans.  I don’t expect a billionaire to make an investment based on nostalgia.  I expect billionaires to make investments based on their potential to make more billions.  Profits > you.

here’s a novel suggestion, instead of ranting against people who make a decision of their own free will that has  (Or should have) absolutely no effect on you, how about YOU channeling your YOUR OWN loser feelings of sorrow for your fellow man into something positive on a Sunday afternoon?  Go volunteer somewhere so YOU can make a positive change for someone who can benefit from your misplaced feelings. 

Christ, are we still talking about fan revolts? We've been doing that since he fired Marty. And it's actually happened in some form at least three times now. Bruce Allen is the result of the most successful fan revolt where we demanded a clean sweep of the front office with proven talent. We got Shanahan and Bruce out of that if you recall.

At this point, no one cares. You don't get a fan revolt out of apathy.

We are two generations removed from glory years. There are two many other entertainment and sporting options in DC now.

I was talking to a friend yesterday whose son is a Redskins fan. The kid was born in 2006. I asked why would you even have let that happen and it basically came down to "He started paying attention during RGIII's rookie year." But that kid is already an LOLSkins person. He watches expecting a comedy of errors. This is his birth right.

Right now, we are in the same class of Bengals fans. Are fleeting glory was 30 years ago under a completely different regime. Our current owner cannot be hurt financially. We just have to hope for some lucky draft picks and a competent coach to create a 3 or 4 year window where we are half decent.

Here's what I've learned about sports over the past 5 years. It's really easy to walk away. Have kids, find a hobby, get some tv shows you enjoy binging. You can fill the gap very very easily.

I'm actually more in-tuned with the Redskins this year than I have been in a while. Mainly because I wanna be here for the end-game. I want to be present when the last flicker of hope dies.

I'm 45. I hope to live at least another 30 yeas. I assume they will be good again in that time period. They will have a playoff game at some point. And I'll jump fully onto the bandwagon in those seasons. Because why not? GHH can't actually stop me from doing that.

That's what I think a sports fan is going to be in the 21st Century. A purely transactional relationship on both sides.

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

Additionally, the tv revenue is shared, I dont believe even convincing everyone to turn off their tv will affect his pockets it will jus piss off the other teams.  But do we want to really stop watching the team to force change?  Should we stop being fans to get to him to change to help justify being fans again?

Yes and yes. The most I do for the Redskins is check on the games on TV. An empty stadium is impossible to ignore, even with shared revenue. Money alone wouldn't force Snyder to do anything, but the rest of the NFL enduring the black eye of a stadium that has no home fans in it couldn't be any more forceful. There were a handful of Jets fans at the stadium on Sunday, sure, but imagine for a moment that there were NO Redskins fans down in the lower seats. It would be humiliating, and I can't imagine the NFL would want to be associated with that image week in and week out.

I'm not angry with the fans that still go, I get that for some of them, the team is just part of their lives. But for just once, I want the team to headline national news for having the lowest attendance ever seen. And the only way that happens is if ALL the fans stay home.

8 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

I can't imagine the NFL would want to be associated with that image week in and week out.

They don't, which is why they airlifted Brian Lafemina in to try and restore a little sanity at Redskins Park. Problem is, there's only so much the league can do if Snyder is complying with NFL rules.

It would probably take a #metoo situation or some serious criminal situation to get Dan out unwillingly.

The only alternative is probably a refusal to offer stadium assistance unless Snyder sells, coupled with finding an exceptionally attractive offer that he couldn't refuse.

15 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Here's what I've learned about sports over the past 5 years. It's really easy to walk away. Have kids, find a hobby, get some tv shows you enjoy binging. You can fill the gap very very easily.

I'm actually more in-tuned with the Redskins this year than I have been in a while. Mainly because I wanna be here for the end-game. I want to be present when the last flicker of hope dies.

I do a lot of volunteer work on Sundays and it's usually the one day my friends and I can get together and catch up. Been a much better use of my time.

And I'm following them for similar reasons, along with seeing what's going to happen when the FedEx Field lease expires. I still think Loudon County is going to blink first and give Snyder space for his new (and probably totally inaccessible to most people) stadium.

15 minutes ago, thebluefood said:

And I'm following them for similar reasons, along with seeing what's going to happen when the FedEx Field lease expires. I still think Loudon County is going to blink first and give Snyder space for his new (and probably totally inaccessible to most people) stadium.

The league has more involvement with new stadiums now, and I doubt there's any chance they'll back an exurban stadium. Even Snyder is going to want a stadium to be part of a larger development that is attractive across the region.

I'm pretty sure he and the league are focused on RFK, and I'll bet Snyder would change the name and perform any other needed sociopolitical genuflections in order to get it--the potential profits are too enticing. Loudoun would have most of the same problems Landover does.

1 hour ago, NickyJ said:

Yes and yes. The most I do for the Redskins is check on the games on TV. An empty stadium is impossible to ignore, even with shared revenue. Money alone wouldn't force Snyder to do anything, but the rest of the NFL enduring the black eye of a stadium that has no home fans in it couldn't be any more forceful. There were a handful of Jets fans at the stadium on Sunday, sure, but imagine for a moment that there were NO Redskins fans down in the lower seats. It would be humiliating, and I can't imagine the NFL would want to be associated with that image week in and week out.

I'm not angry with the fans that still go, I get that for some of them, the team is just part of their lives. But for just once, I want the team to headline national news for having the lowest attendance ever seen. And the only way that happens is if ALL the fans stay home.

I cant ask people to do this unlike people folk like @Skinsfan1311 are willing to not do in the stadium for the giants game.  Because you right, those are the folks, and I would as well, that asking me not to watch them play is protesting the team to protest the owner, this has to be clear it's about protesting the owner.  That's why I go still to make clear I support the team and against Snyder, they arent the same thing

1 hour ago, profusion said:

They don't, which is why they airlifted Brian Lafemina in to try and restore a little sanity at Redskins Park. Problem is, there's only so much the league can do if Snyder is complying with NFL rules.

It would probably take a #metoo situation or some serious criminal situation to get Dan out unwillingly.

The only alternative is probably a refusal to offer stadium assistance unless Snyder sells, coupled with finding an exceptionally attractive offer that he couldn't refuse.

I dont believe any owner should get government funds for stadiums anymore.  Neither does DC Council, Maryland and Virginia are heading g in that direction, even for a new owner, Smyder has poisoned the pond that bad.  Would that prevent someone from buying the team?

I'm curious if NFL would step in on empty stadiums and no season ticket holders, it's not causing a loss but would be a non ignorable issue.

2 hours ago, stoshuaj said:

To ignore your misplaced angst and answer the question you asked:

1.  People, fellowship w other fans.

2.  It was cold but not terrible weather.  Nice day to be outside and at an event.

3.  DS is going to make his money regardless.  Tickets sold look good by the profit is already built in.  Did you happen to watch the game on the tv?  If so, you fed the beast.

4.  I’m not so naive to think that any team really gives a crap about the fans.  I don’t expect a billionaire to make an investment based on nostalgia.  I expect billionaires to make investments based on their potential to make more billions.  Profits > you.

here’s a novel suggestion, instead of ranting against people who make a decision of their own free will that has  (Or should have) absolutely no effect on you, how about YOU channeling your YOUR OWN loser feelings of sorrow for your fellow man into something positive on a Sunday afternoon?  Go volunteer somewhere so YOU can make a positive change for someone who can benefit from your misplaced feelings. 

I find it hilarious that for a second you think I watched that game 😂

Everyone in the area that has a vote should prevent any new stadium deal from being done at the cost of tax payers.  Maybe you guys will get lucky and Snyder will move them to San Diego and the DC area will get the next franchise on the move. St Louis had a deal on the table to build a new stadium up the road from the dome to keep the Rams. Maybe Snyder will jump on that deal. That would royally suck to me. I'm in the St Louis market.

22 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I dont believe any owner should get government funds for stadiums anymore.  Neither does DC Council, Maryland and Virginia are heading g in that direction, even for a new owner, Smyder has poisoned the pond that bad.  Would that prevent someone from buying the team?

I'm curious if NFL would step in on empty stadiums and no season ticket holders, it's not causing a loss but would be a non ignorable issue.

I'm in complete agreement as to public funds. That arguably makes league financial assistance more critical for an owner, like Snyder, who isn't so rich that he can just write as many billion dollar checks as needed to get the thing built. It would also make a more commercially successful venture vital. Just plopping down a big concrete bowl that gets used 8-10 times a year isn't going to cut it financially if the team owner has to finance the thing. See what Kroenke is doing in LA as an example.

The regulatory approvals and traffic enhancements are what brings the government into any stadium proposal. Gonna tough to sell that anywhere in the DC area at the moment.

As for the league stepping in, I doubt it. Maybe if things get to the level the Chargers are at now. Heck, the NFL seems willing to even let that situation fester, based on what they've said. Cardinals played to an empty stadium for years, except for the annual Cowboys game. That's where the Redskins are now. Amazing.

1 hour ago, NickyJ said:

The better option would be to still go. But not go in. And protest outside, 

Or a walkout in a prime time game would send a damning and frightening message across the league/ TV land. 

And if you do go into the stadium, then stay behind and visibly and vocally protest en masse. EVERY game. (Doing that through the game is detrimental to the team.). 

March on the league offices and protest outside there. The whole nine yards. Everything that would make the NFL sit up and take serious notice from the terrible publicity on their product. 

It's a long, hard process but if you organise and mobilise, it is possible to remove bad owners. I bare the scars of that fight. 

Hail. 

2 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Christ, are we still talking about fan revolts? We've been doing that since he fired Marty. And it's actually happened in some form at least three times now. Bruce Allen is the result of the most successful fan revolt where we demanded a clean sweep of the front office with proven talent. We got Shanahan and Bruce out of that if you recall.

At this point, no one cares. You don't get a fan revolt out of apathy.

I agree, to an extent, and it's a different reality on the ground for folks out the area then in the area.  As I've said, this affects me even if I turn the TV off because if DMV gives Snyder the money for the new stadium, that's money not going to the metro.  I had a situation where they shut down the section I used for three months doubling my commute, a direct result from how dangerous it had become and stuff like train derailments.  This affects people in my home area that arent even Redskins fans.

The fan base is too beaten down to block people from getting in the stadiums, but Sell the Team chants are an alternative to booing for people that dont like doing that.  A walkout during the Giants game if we are getting blown out would be interesting, it is three days before Christmas, screw Snyder if he dont care ,go spend it with your family.

Archived