Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Erosion Of The Redskins Fanbase

samy316

8 minutes ago, Springfield said:

That would be a good use of actually going to the stadium.  Looks like roughly 170 people in that rendering.  We can round up to 200 people.  For about $800, you could line up 200 people to draw a giant “SELL THE TEAM” sign out of fans.

$800 people.

Save some money.

Just have everybody wear 2 shirts and when they get to their seat they can put one of the shirts on the seat next to them.

6 hours ago, Boss_Hogg said:

Lots of blue in the lower bowl today. Or as Larry Michael would say, "Redskins fans wearing their alternate light blue jerseys today"

The lower bowl on the visitors side is ALWAYS going to be that way. I think a lot of those seats are owned by larger entities that make the tickets available to their employees. 

On 11/24/2019 at 1:36 PM, hail2skins said:

The sad thing is that the club and upper levels look the same from an attendance perspective as they did last season when the Skins were 6-3. The lower level last season was pretty much full. 

Let's also not forget that thousands of seats in the upper deck are covered up. All those pics of empty seats would look even worse without the tarps!

On 11/25/2019 at 12:01 AM, Boss_Hogg said:

Lots of blue in the lower bowl today. Or as Larry Michael would say, "Redskins fans wearing their alternate light blue jerseys today"

I like Larry Michael but one of the funniest comments regarding him I ever heard was “Mouth Of Sauron” 

Still cracks me up 😝

How quickly did it all go bad?

I put my nephew on the wait list in early Jan 2006.  Here is the email:

Welcome to the team!

Congratulations on joining the Washington Redskins! Your member number on the waitlist is #200,892. Please be sure to keep this email for your records.  Your account record appears at the bottom of this message.  Please check it for any errors.

May 2008:

It is hard to predict exactly how long any one individual will remain on the Wait List as the Washington Redskins have a 98% retention rate for season ticket holders.  That being said your current Wait List number is 165000 and it looks like it will probably be another 6+  years before you are contacted to purchase season tickets.  In order to ensure that we are able to reach you once you do come off the Waiting List, please make sure you keep us abreast of any change in mailing address, e-mail address, and/or phone numbers.

OK, so if 98% renew, how could someone move up over 35,000 spots in 3 renewal cycles?

wpid-wp-1414198682837.png

2006 was a miserable 5-11 season and maybe people started to realize that not even Joe Gibbs was going to be able to salvage this dumpster fire.

Of course, it wasnt until after the Zorn debacle that they actually started to remove seats, first in the end zone club level prior to 2010 and then the disfiguration of the upper deck starting in 2011.

For all the fans that are happy with the meaningless wins, the Giants will be spending the 2nd pick we gave them on Chase Young who will be haunting us for years to come. Hats Off to the dumpster fire Dan and Bruce have given us with their stupid mentality and to those happy fans that like the meaningless wins.

bruce allen.PNG

redskins draft pick.PNG

@rabidskin  Gettleman is a f'n moron, even if he gets Young, that doesnt mean the Giants are going to matter.  Why you think Carolina ran him out of town?  If the Giants are so dangerous, how are they worse then last year?

We've won 17 games in the last three seasons so far, the Giants have only won 10.  They got bigger problems that Young cant save them from.  Barkley is the best back in the division but largely irrelevant because of how bad the team overall is.

23 hours ago, MarkB452 said:

Congratulations on joining the Washington Redskins! Your member number on the waitlist is #200,892. ...

May 2008:

It is hard to predict exactly how long any one individual will remain on the Wait List as the Washington Redskins have a 98% retention rate for season ticket holders.  That being said your current Wait List number is 165000 and it looks like it will probably be another 6+  years before you are contacted to purchase season tickets.  In order to ensure that we are able to reach you once you do come off the Waiting List, please make sure you keep us abreast of any change in mailing address, e-mail address, and/or phone numbers.

OK, so if 98% renew, how could someone move up over 35,000 spots in 3 renewal cycles?

LOL, in mid-2013 I put my name on the waiting list only because it was the only way to get added to the team news email list. They called me later that same week because by some miracle, they had a handful of extra tickets and were offering me up to 4 of them ahead of the ~225k people ahead of me in line.

13 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

We've won 17 games in the last three seasons so far, the Giants have only won 10.  They got bigger problems that Young cant save them from.  Barkley is the best back in the division but largely irrelevant because of how bad the team overall is.

Yet nobody with more than a handful of brain cells would bet that the Redskins will be the first to win a future playoff game.

:rofl89:

The Ravens blew the Redskins out of the water in D.C. TV ratings

https://thefandc.radio.com/ravens-blew-redskins-out-in-dc-tv-ratings

Thats all you need to know.  If it weren’t for the team getting $200+ Million a year through profit sharing, the team would have moved a long time ago.

My only hope is MD,DC, and VA stiff him on a stadium.  Maybe that will get him to MOVE the team because Snyder is not selling the team.

On 12/3/2019 at 3:52 AM, rabidskin said:

For all the fans that are happy with the meaningless wins.....their stupid mentality and to those happy fans that like the meaningless wins.

Thanks!  I'm going to enjoy the wins as many as we can get!  I would like to state that this one sided mentality is brutal, because you are turning a blind eye to everything a win does for the team. 

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/12/4/20970610/patrick-mahomes-kansas-city-chiefs-quarterback-fan-experience

I just want to plug this article at the Ringer. It talks about the perspective of a Kansas City fan and goes through the enigma of Mahomes but is REALLY well written and does a really good job of comparing him to some baseball enigmas and other football enigmas, including Bo Jackson. And his writing took me back to being a kid and loving Bo Jackson and remembering that injury again. I wasn't a fan of baseball then or really of any team outside of DC but I loved Bo Jackson and when he went down I remember being hurt because it hurt football. But I never imagined how much that would impact fans in that city. But in addition, the writer Rany Jazayerli, just does a really good job on this article. 

I post that here because I think about stuff like the Sean Taylor death, the RG3 injury, the Alex Smith injury, add to that the stuff like the Kirk Cousins stuff, the Trent Williams stuff and it does impact your fandom a lot. But this was a reminder of what its like to be a fan again - both the hopes of everything and the despair of having your dreams crushed. But what's the point of a dream if it doesn't have the possibility of being crushed? 

On 12/3/2019 at 7:50 AM, Renegade7 said:

@rabidskin  Gettleman is a f'n moron, even if he gets Young, that doesnt mean the Giants are going to matter.  Why you think Carolina ran him out of town?  If the Giants are so dangerous, how are they worse then last year?

A RB can rarely save any team.  I think a killer pass rusher is tailor made for that defense because their DT position is arguably as loaded as ours.   At the very least it likely makes the Giants more relevant than we are amist the losing because they'd like have multiple best in the world type (top 3) players at their positions.   Chase is a talked about national star already. 

I am in a good spot I think to see fans from everywhere, I see plenty of Barkley, in the past it was Beckham jerseys.  No Redskins jerseys typically -- when I run into a Redskin fan its typically just a plain Redskins shirt.  I know last year every team in the NFC East but us had players in the top ten of jersey sales, I don't think we even had a player in the top 100.  Even Finlay said going to parties of his kids at the DMV, it's rare for him to see kids wear Redskins jerseys but he does see Barkley among others. 

I personally don't care whether we have stars or sell jerseys.  I just want to win.  But my point is this if you are going to go 8-8 or worse and you got no national type stars that draw the more causal fans or attract new youngish fans like we did in 2012 with RG3 -- the Giants might oddly remain more relevant as to national attention and I don't think its a coincidence that they aren't struggling with fan attendance and TV ratings in spite of the losing.

I think Chris Russell sums it up well.  This isn't just a mediocre to less than that team.  It's also a boring version of mediocrity with no casual fan draws.   I never really thought about the marketing side of that until being a dad and noticing what my kids and my friends' kids are drawn to sports wise.  Kids seem star driven.  The Redskins aren't a cool team to like on that front.  If RG3 remained the goods, not only would this team not be bleeding fans but I think you'd also attract a new generation of fans.  I recall some national sports reporter saying in 2012 his kid wasn't a Redskins fan but he wanted an RG3 jersey.   

The Giants have had that cooking for them even during the losing.  Chase Young would add to that pile.  I think Beckham nailed it in an interview after the trade to the Browns saying he thought he helped saved the Giants brand during the losing.  I think he's right.  But back on point, I think the Giants would be a better team than us at a minimum if they landed Chase.  He's exactly IMO what they need. 

7 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

But back on point, I think the Giants would be a better team than us at a minimum if they landed Chase.  He's exactly IMO what they need. 

I dont believe Young alone makes them a better team then us.  You are putting far too much stock someone who hasnt played a down yet.  As I noted, they have won almost half as many games as us over the last three years. 

Living in the DC area as a kid and now an adult, I know what it's like to defend the team against being called racist and actually being garbage at the same time.  And jerseys arent cheap, either, I didnt get one until I was a teenager, it wasnt in the budget.  It's going to take more then a great player to increase jersey sales, the stigma the team has in the area has the cost the team two generations of fans now more then the losing.

I'd love to see any stats on Sean Taylor jersey sales vs Griffin and how much either spent time as top 50.  As long as we on the same page about not wanting Young here for Jersey sales...

10 hours ago, superozman said:

Thanks!  I'm going to enjoy the wins as many as we can get!  I would like to state that this one sided mentality is brutal, because you are turning a blind eye to everything a win does for the team. 

Wait, aren't we talking about the Redskins? Year 21 of Dan Snyder's NFL impression of a Beavis and Butthead episode? (Dan plays Beavis btw)

10 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

Wait, aren't we talking about the Redskins? Year 21 of Dan Snyder's NFL impression of a Beavis and Butthead episode? (Dan plays Beavis btw)

Yup!  Because we have every single skill position player (I don't think TE is 'skill position' category I may be wrong) in their first year of playing on offense.  We also have a young D core, with a first year starter now on the outside CB, a rookie MLB, a rookie Edge Rusher and a high paid FA.  

Wins will help all of them.  A part of changing a culture is getting people back to used to/expecting to winning.  

Those players can't control the front office.  but they can control themselves.

On 12/4/2019 at 12:38 PM, superozman said:

not turning a blind eye but watching our draft pick get worse for a meaningless win..... what will make you happy?  4-12 and pick around 7th-10th?  Or would you rather have finished 1-15 with the 1st or 2nd pick? 3-13 or 4-12 makes no difference other than lowering our pick. Another great B Allen season....and what a "great culture" he has established.  Those few wins will make a BIG difference...as in which players will want to stay or go the FA route?  Don't forget all the hype and excitement we listen to at the start of every year, only to watch pathetic play while day-dreaming about playoffs. We need an instant starter like Young or the #1 OT and the wins don't help.  Would rather see them lose out to motivate Snyder to fire Bruce and get a better pick.  The time to start preparing for next year is now and that's by focusing on the draft as this year is over with another dismal season, and front office blunders.  

Archived