Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

1 minute ago, Hersh said:

That’s some nonsense about Holtby. He kept the Caps in it. 

Except when they REALLY needed it. He’s got 0 clutch.

Yeah, Varna’s been playing awful. Ovechkin is mainly invisible. Kovalchuk was a bad move. There’s no scoring depth. We’re really missing Backstrom. There’s no real grit.

But **** man, Holtby can’t bother to stop a 1 on 1 and Varly gets every single one. Mano e Mano, he’s toast. It’s a shame that Samsonov isn’t available. Team seemed to play better in front of him this season.

Just now, mammajamma said:

I just can't comprehend how we went from one of the most dominant offensive teams in the NHL earlier this season, to having absolutely zero offensive identity since the restart

Part of the answer is in your statement. There is no identity. 
Another reason is that there is nothing from the 3rd and 4th lines on this team which is on the GM. 

Yet another reason is that this team built its defense around puck moving offensive minded players that haven’t scored at all. 

• Like 1

Just now, Springfield said:

Except when they REALLY needed it. He’s got 0 clutch.

Yeah, Varna’s been playing awful. Ovechkin is mainly invisible. Kovalchuk was a bad move. There’s no scoring depth. We’re really missing Backstrom. There’s no real grit.

But **** man, Holtby can’t bother to stop a 1 on 1 and Varly gets every single one. Mano e Mano, he’s toast. It’s a shame that Samsonov isn’t available. Team seemed to play better in front of him this season.

Are you drunk? The goalie holds the opponent to one goal in regulation then gives up a goal on an inexcusable breakaway and you are going after the goalie. You have to be drunk, right? Smoking something?

Just now, Hersh said:

Are you drunk? The goalie holds the opponent to one goal in regulation then gives up a goal on an inexcusable breakaway and you are going after the goalie. You have to be drunk, right? Smoking something?

Disappointed. He should’ve stopped that.

1 minute ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Did some housework and took a nap.

Im getting on the Flames bandwagon.

im rooting for canadian teams at this point too. montreal right now for obvious reasons, but would also love to see Vancouver go far with Beagle. Awesome city as well

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Springfield said:

2 breakaways today. Holtby missed one today and one two days ago. One of each game.

Varlamov did not stop Tom Wilson on the breakaway.  An on-end puck resulting in a shot wide of net did.  Barzal's OT goal was not a breakaway, it was even worse as he managed to get behind the defense and have room to go east-west across the goal.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Part of the answer is in your statement. There is no identity. 
Another reason is that there is nothing from the 3rd and 4th lines on this team which is on the GM. 

Yet another reason is that this team built its defense around puck moving offensive minded players that haven’t scored at all. 

Yeah, all good points, but aside from chuk, these are the same players and same coaches as when they were the best team in the league for half of the season. They had the talent already to win, but it all disappeared

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Did some housework and took a nap.

Im getting on the Flames bandwagon.

I got a lot more done today than I had planned...actually a good feeling. 

I had also thought about the Flames...they had to get past Winnipeg, both teams have ATL ties, so I probably would have gone with either one ... Caps are suck. 😡

• Like 1

The saddest part is this team has definitely left some Cups on the table over the past 12 years.  I know winning the Cup is so hard and depends on so many intangibles and a bit of luck, but there's no excuse for a team with this much core talent since 2008 to have only advanced past the 2nd round of the playoffs once. We still have the best goal scorer in hockey, a Norris trophy caliber d-man, a blue chip prospect in goal, and a lot of frontline talent, so the window isn't closed yet. But it's getting there.  I guess a silver lining is this makes us appreciate 2018 that much more.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Yep. I think the problem is coaching. We need a new coach for the 2020-2021 season 

Hopefully Ted agrees but that is typically an area where he doesn't seem to understand the importance in hockey. It's a hard pill to swallow knowing how many years of the Ovechkin era have been spent with unproven rookie coaches (at least after Bruce, who was the right guy at the right time IMHO)

Man speaking of 2018 ... how fun that run was.  I still remember it so vividly watching Lars Eller score that goal while standing outside of Capital One Arena and how crazy it was outside.  And then when they won, and Ovi going to get the cup and skating around with it.  Wow ... what an amazing time that was.

• Like 1