Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

Based on what I've seen out of Copley, I doubt he's up to the task, but if Reirdon wants to salvage this playoff series then he really needs to make some changes. I'd pull Holtboy, send up McMichael, something. Also, Kovalchuk has pretty much been a bust on the 3rd line. The team is really missing the grit it had in 2018. There's not fight back, and once Trotz gets a lead then they just flounder against him.

There is zero reason to pull Holtby. He’s the only one capable of completely dominating on the roster.

At this point it doesn’t much matter who the goalie is. The defense is abysmal and there is little sustained offense. The team looks slow. 

100 percent agree on Kovalchuk. That’s been an awful trade to this point. 

• Like 2

Other NHL news. Rask is opting out for the rest of the playoffs. That’s huge.

Grubauer and Burakovsky helping the Avs win. Bura wasn’t great with the Caps but given some of the terrible contracts GMBM has given out, it’s too bad they couldn’t afford to keep him. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hersh said:

There is zero reason to pull Holtby. He’s the only one capable of completely dominating on the roster.

At this point it doesn’t much matter who the goalie is. The defense is abysmal and there is little sustained offense. The team looks slow. 

100 percent agree on Kovalchuk. That’s been an awful trade to this point. 

I think Holtby hasn't looked like he has been able to dominate in 2 years, and outside of the 2018 playoff run it's been longer than that. One could even argue that the 2018 playoff run was simply due to Trotz's great defensive system. We all witnessed the other end of what Trotz is doing to Reirdon. We can't let the Isles get a lead. Simple as that. I agree that it doesn't really matter who the goalie is, but there HAS to be a shake up. If Reirdon puts the same lines out there on Sunday and expects a different result then I'd just assume that he's thinking he's done and just wants things over with. Only problem is that I don't know what else can be shaken up. The bottom 6 looks pretty awful. Vrana looks pretty awful. Orlov looks pretty awful. Barely anyone is willing to lay out a massive check. If you shake up the forward lines then you're just putting guys who have been underperforming into an even greater role.

They seem to be properly ****ed right now.

I don’t really disagree. I’ve been talking about Holtby getting worse since his goalie coach left a few years ago. It’s time to let him walk but the other goalies won’t get the Caps anywhere since Samsonov is out.

6 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I don’t really disagree. I’ve been talking about Holtby getting worse since his goalie coach left a few years ago. It’s time to let him walk but the other goalies won’t get the Caps anywhere since Samsonov is out.

While I'm not ready to throw Holtby under the bus, Vanacek and Copley are both capable goaltenders.  If I was upset with Holtby's play, I'd roll the dice on Vitek.

However, I don't put game 2 on Holts; the goals against seemed to be good plays (east-west back-door tap in), left out to dry (breakaway), unlucky bounces (ricochet off of a glove on an aerial centering pass), and a good shot from the point (far-post-and-in).  Maybe you could argue he should have had the point shot; I'm not sure what the screen situation was.  Would have been nice to have the breakaway, but that play developed really quickly and never should have happened.

6 minutes ago, capcrunch98 said:

With the Caps pretty much on life support right now, Boston losing Rask, the Pens gone, and the jury still out on whether Tampa can rise up in the playoffs, I have a really bad feeling Philly might break through this year. 

Let’s hope not, I have developed a strong hate for that team the last 2 years. More so then the Pens 

1 hour ago, max21 said:

Let’s hope not, I have developed a strong hate for that team the last 2 years. More so then the Pens 

Just the last 2 years?  Oh man, I still have nightmares about those a-hole Philly teams from 30 years ago, and even worse were their subhuman fans who they let out of the zoo and bussed down to the Capital Centre. Some of those scumbags made Cowboys fans look like Mister Rogers.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, capcrunch98 said:

Just the last 2 years?  Oh man, I still have nightmares about those a-hole Philly teams from 30 years ago, and even worse were their subhuman fans who they let out of the zoo and bussed down to the Capital Centre. Some of those scumbags made Cowboys fans look like Mister Rogers.

Facts.  The mid-80s Flyers experience was brutal.

4 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Glad to see the coach making changes on the lines to get some fresh blood in here. Need some tenacity this game.

I wish the Caps would get back to developing and playing rookies during the season, like Pinho, instead of having game 3 be his NHL debut. I am happy he’s in there but the third line is cringeworthy 

If the Caps don’t turn it around, I’d turn over half the roster 

Edited by Hersh

1 minute ago, Hersh said:

I wish the Caps would get back to developing and playing rookies during the season, like Pinho, instead of having game 3 be his NHL debut. 

If the Caps don’t turn it around, I’d turn over half the roster 

I'd love to see this Connor McMichael kid I keep hearing about.

4 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I'd love to see this Connor McMichael kid I keep hearing about.

I think he was one of those players that got caught in the dumb AHL age rules. Had 102 points in 52 games in OHL last year 

1 minute ago, Hersh said:

I think he was one of those players that got caught in the dumb AHL age rules. Had 102 points in 52 games in OHL last year 

The league is skewing more young and speedier, might as well put him up here for a little while next season to see what he's got.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Springfield said:

The league is skewing more young and speedier, might as well put him up here for a little while next season to see what he's got.

If the Caps think he’s ready, they shouldn’t be afraid to move a guy like Eller. Get younger, get a pick or blue liner in return, create cap space depending on the return.