Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

Didn't watch the game but saw that we were up early. The 2 goals came from PP only. Nothing from 5 on 5. Can't win hockey games like that. It is also obvious they choked seeing Barry on the other side as they gave up a goal on their own PP. 

Edited by zskins

I have never and will never understand the thought process behind finally winning a Stanley Cup after all that time and then deciding that it was a good idea to replace your Stanley Cup winning coach with a coach with zero head coaching experience. It truly baffles me. If it wasn't going to work with Trotz then you go find someone with a track record of winning in the league.

Todd should have been taking his lumps and figuring it out with a rebuilding team. SMFH

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

I have never and will never understand the thought process behind finally winning a Stanley Cup after all that time and then deciding that it was a good idea to replace your Stanley Cup winning coach with a coach with zero head coaching experience. It truly baffles me. If it wasn't going to work with Trotz then you go find someone with a track record of winning in the league.

Todd should have been taking his lumps and figuring it out with a rebuilding team. SMFH

Gotta save that 3 million dollars, right?

Well, there really wasn’t much heart in that one. Somebody should have taken Anders Lee’s head off in the 2nd or the 3rd, not some weak ass fight by Carlson.

Then, we gave up some sloppy goals and Trotz did what Trotz teams do. Reirdon needs to figure that out before the next time the Caps are trailing against the Islanders.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Well, there really wasn’t much heart in that one. Somebody should have taken Anders Lee’s head off in the 2nd or the 3rd, not some weak ass fight by Carlson.

Then, we gave up some sloppy goals and Trotz did what Trotz teams do. Reirdon needs to figure that out before the next time the Caps are trailing against the Islanders.

Wilson pumped Lee. And yeah idk, it’s annoyingly to blow leads like that. If Reirden gets bounced in the first round again it’s not a good look. The core is aging. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Wilson beat his ass pretty good. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

It's our jobs as fans to overreact.  We want to win a Stanley Cup 16-0.  The reality is that just isn't ever going to happen though.

I'd agree except I haven't seen much over the past 2 years that makes me think the Caps are as well coached as most of the other playoff teams. I'd love nothing more than to be mocked for this post a month or two for now but I just don't see it right now.

4 hours ago, Heisenberg said:

I am with you on being frustrated with Reirden, but we need to let it go with Trotz. Guy is a great coach, but he's also a coach who came up short in the playoffs in 2016 and 2017 despite having the best regular season team, he was close to being fired during the 2018 season (a rumor which I recall most posters on this board being in favor of at the time), and honestly we were a Game 3 OT goal away from possibly being swept in the first round in 2018. Again, terrific guy and terrific coach, but not perfect. The team knew Reirden, it's not like he was a Bruce Cassidy hire (circa 2002) plucked off the street.  He hasn't worked out so far, but hindsight is always 20/20. The Pens had just won 2 Cups with Sullivan who was a rookie coach, and I believe Bylsma was a rookie coach when the Pens won in 2009.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No one is gonna be tougher on Holtby than Holtby. He knows he **** the bed. Obviously he has to play better or Caps are done. 

I'm more worried about not having Lars or Backstrom. Gotta have good centers to advance. It's one thing to be missing one of them, but it showed missing both. Also, Wilson has to stay on the ice. No more 4 penalty games from him. 

Per the Pens coaches, I think the two mentioned both had head coach experience/success in the minors and we all know not everyone is made to be a head coach. I think one thing Reirden lacks is a definitive style for team. We knew Trotz was all about defense. What is Reirden about? What are the Caps wanting to do besides play physical, which they have done for years. 

19 hours ago, Hersh said:

What are the Caps wanting to do besides play physical

This has been my biggest issue with the caps in 2020 so far. They start every game going for big hits to try to knock the other team off its game. This works sometimes with ****ty teams, but most good teams adapt later in the game, and then the caps have nothing. Other teams adapt, and guys keep going for the big hits instead of playing the puck. So frustrating to watch