Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cutdown Thread and Modified 53. Tanner Vallejo added, Roster full (I think for real this time?)

Voice_of_Reason

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Redskins signed Wendell Smallwood 

Nice.

The Eagles just cut him.

Can't help but wonder which one of our players they take, especially since they fell in love with our Sudfeld.

1 minute ago, TheBlueIndian said:

So we got Smallwood from philly. Isnt that how we picked up Marshall ?

Similar.

Smallwood was from waivers. Marshall was from their PS.

I gotta say that I'm really encouraged by the cuts and the roster make up; well - mostly.  For years the Redskins FO talked about changing the culture but their actions didn't match their mouths.  This year, they stopped looking at where players were drafted and instead focused on what they were actually able to do on the field.  THAT's how you change culture.  Having seen players like Swearinger (he just wouldn't shut his mouth and missed too many assignments to be publicly critical), Doctson, and Perine go out the door I'll bet the rest of the team is going to conduct themselves with more professionalism.

The one area of concern I still have though is TE.  If the staff is intent on using their TE's to block in the running game then they can really only count on Sprinkle; who is growing as a receiver.  Personally, I'd rather see Flannagan and Holtz make the team and trade Reed and Davis while you still can.  Flannagan and Holtz can both block and catch - not as good as receivers but at least the offense wouldn't be so damned predictable.  (Really intrigued by Parham but he needs a year on the practice squad). 

Now, if Jay will wise up and keep Davis and Reed away from the tackle box as receivers then I'm fine with keeping them.  But for God's sake please stop hammering that square peg into a round hole!!!  I throw up in my mouth every time I see Davis or Reed's man hit a running back in the backfield and they're standing around with their hands on their hips.  They don't want to block and will only make a half-assed attempt at doing the job. 

Other than the TE's, I feel like they've made all the right moves in putting together the final 53. 

2 hours ago, -JB- said:

How is Shaun Wilson listed as wearing #31 when Fabian Moreau already wears #31?  These questions need answers!

Every preseason, there are a few occurrences where two players have the same number, an offensive guy and a defensive guy.  It's due to the fact you are carrying 90 guys and you have retired numbers etc.  Most often one of them gets cut, but if both make the team, the one who had it longest keeps it and the new guy (Wilson) has to pick a new number.   I'm sure his number will be updated soon.

OT matt kalil got cut by the Texans after the tunsil trade.   I know he isn't anything special, but probably better then flowers if you trusted a rookie to take over at guard and would prefer a 4th OT.

Archived