Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cutdown Thread and Modified 53. Tanner Vallejo added, Roster full (I think for real this time?)

Voice_of_Reason

10 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Him and Lache Seastrunk gonna ball out for the Idaho Cosmonauts.

With colt Brennan throwing the ball to them.

10 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I see a lot of promise. If we can find a good quarterback, WR #1, WR #2, TE, Center, LT, & guard the guys we have starting right now would make for really good depth.

I agree, if we upgraded only around 80% of our offense, we wouldn't be half bad!

51 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Every preseason, there are a few occurrences where two players have the same number, an offensive guy and a defensive guy.  It's due to the fact you are carrying 90 guys and you have retired numbers etc.  Most often one of them gets cut, but if both make the team, the one who had it longest keeps it and the new guy (Wilson) has to pick a new number.   I'm sure his number will be updated soon.

OT matt kalil got cut by the Texans after the tunsil trade.   I know he isn't anything special, but probably better then flowers if you trusted a rookie to take over at guard and would prefer a 4th OT.

Well, I realize that, but they haven’t updated his number yet even though they updated Jimmy Moreland’s from #25 to #32.

2 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I see a lot of promise. If we can find a good quarterback, WR #1, WR #2, TE, Center, LT, & guard the guys we have starting right now would make for really good depth.

So if we find basically new starters across the board our current players will make great reserves when they inevitably get hurt? 

:P

I’m really glad they finally lived on from Marshall.  I just never got the obsession.  They have kind of treated him like he had Riggo level production, but all he really did is miss  block to get the QB killed, fumbles a few ST plays, and have a few decent runs...

Fwiw, I’m not sure Smallwood really helps a lot, and he might be gone after week 2. 

Now the only true Gruden obsession guy left is Colt.

Just now, glongest said:

Smallwood was picked up because we play Philly week one.  He will be gone from this roster by week 4.  

Exactly what I was thinking..pick his brain then let him go..

2 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Or Idaho BakedTater13's

Hey now lol

13 hours ago, goskins10 said:

He will get a chance somewhere else. I hope he is able to take advantage of it. He is a really good kid who despite fans interpretation has a love for the game. He worked his ass off here. It didn't work out

I can’t  figure out why we didn’t at least try him at Z. Last year was Doctson’s best catch percentage but I assume his progress wasn’t good enough; 56.4% from 44.9%. That’s pretty poor regardless of which round he was drafted in. I’m OK from moving on from Doctson but am cautiously optimistic in our very young and nearly inexperienced group of receivers. 

2 hours ago, glongest said:

Smallwood was picked up because we play Philly week one.  He will be gone from this roster by week 4.  

That's what I was thinking when Philly picked up Nate Sudfeld right before we opened against Philly that year.

And then again, when we picked up Byron Marshall from them.

But look how long each of them lasted.

I think Smallwood stays. He may have potential as a KR, and has some very likeable qualities as a RB

10 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

That's what I was thinking when Philly picked up Nate Sudfeld right before we opened against Philly that year.

And then again, when we picked up Byron Marshall from them.

But look how long each of them lasted.

I think Smallwood stays. He may have potential as a KR, and has some very likeable qualities as a RB

He may also be insurance in the case Love doesn’t return this year from injury. Smallwood seems like a Love clone - small and fast with decent hands. 

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/wendell-smallwood?id=2555461

29 minutes ago, JaxJoe said:

He may also be insurance in the case Love doesn’t return this year from injury. Smallwood seems like a Love clone - small and fast with decent hands. 

No offence to Smallwood. or your comparison, but he is not remotely in the same stratosphere as Love.  Some traits are similar, but Love is special.  Truly, he was an absolute steal IF he comes back close to 100% next year.  He was second in the Heisman voting vs Mayfield. He runs the 40 in the 4.3's.  I am so pumped to see him next year. Hail

2 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

So this entire season is out of the question, then ?

I hope so. I would hope they will let him heal to 100% before turning him loose. Let CT own that role this season. Hope we are thinking longterm, but it is our Redskins and we **** the bed on too many occassions to even remember at this point. 

35 minutes ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

No offence to Smallwood. or your comparison, but he is not remotely in the same stratosphere as Love.  Some traits are similar, but Love is special.  Truly, he was an absolute steal IF he comes back close to 100% next year.  He was second in the Heisman voting vs Mayfield. He runs the 40 in the 4.3's.  I am so pumped to see him next year. Hail

None taken. The reason I compared the two is based on size and speed. Smallwood runs in the 4.4s - pretty fast but not as fast as Love. Smallwood is 5’10” and 208 lb and Love is 5’9 200 lb

But the Bryce Love I’m talking about is the 2018 Love, not the 2017 we all wish he could return to. It’s a bit of mystery to me why Love’s production fell so dramatically between the two seasons especially when Stanford returned four of their five OL. Love was nursing an ankle injury for most of the season but to me it looked like he still had the speed, just not the shipping-lane sized holes like in 2017. He played in 10 games before tearing his ACL in the final game of the season. What one sportswriter said made the most sense is that defenses played Stanford to shut the run down with 8-9 in the box and those running lanes got more narrow. And, because Love isn’t built to skip or bounce off a defender like Guice can do, Love just got worn down.

5 hours ago, JaxJoe said:

I can’t  figure out why we didn’t at least try him at Z. Last year was Doctson’s best catch percentage but I assume his progress wasn’t good enough; 56.4% from 44.9%. That’s pretty poor regardless of which round he was drafted in. I’m OK from moving on from Doctson but am cautiously optimistic in our very young and nearly inexperienced group of receivers. 

So let's go with that. With 3 different QBs in only his 2nd full yr on the field - his catch % WAS 56.4% as you state. Here are some other catch %:

Richardson - 57.1%

Crowder - 59.2% 

M Harris - 59.6%

So of the WRs - he was pretty much in line.  

I have more that shows he was not the horrible WR many make him out to be. He made a big improvement in most every area from 2017 to 2018.But this is not the right thread. But I did want to address your point which is well taken.  

Having said that - bringing this back to this thread - I get there was a numbers game due to a lot of potential with some young guys. I am also not upset they let him go. The coaches felt other guys outplayed him. So fair enough. I am actually glad to see they are willing to move on from a 1st rd pick if he is not fitting into what yo want to do. 

I do think he will land somewhere else and will surprise some people. But maybe not. Time will tell. 

On 8/31/2019 at 3:36 PM, Malapropismic Depository said:

Good news is the guy throwing the ball to them is experienced, which should make up for some of that WR greenness. That could be part of the reason Haskins doesn't start right away ; maybe not a great idea to have a rookie QB throwing to a bunch of rookie WR's.

...behind a very suspect line.  With what looks like a pedestrian WR and O-line group, it's shaping up to be a very long year on the offensive side of the ball.  Allen should be very proud of himself. 😉

10 hours ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Does Bryce Love even have a shot to play this year? If so that's when you'll see Smallwood released.

A shot? Yes.  He’ll be on IR or PuP and they could bring him back.

However there’s really no reason to rush him back.

14 hours ago, glongest said:

I don’t think so.  Smallwood has talent.  Depending on how CT is going, production and health wise, Smallwood could stick around.

Archived