Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cutdown Thread and Modified 53. Tanner Vallejo added, Roster full (I think for real this time?)

Voice_of_Reason

7 hours ago, Califan007 said:

I think it's more centered around the idea that the draft is supposed to bring talent to your team, not talent to the NFL. So the reasons those players aren't on the team matters more than just the fact that they aren't. 

I couldn't disagree more if you got a FO bent on comp picks.  Whether it's us, Ravens, Pats, etc.  It's just flailing to flail IMO when you got players who leave for decent money elsewhere because their drafting team has taken the tact of building comp compensation.   Lets take Crowder for example, bunch of beat guys said Jay loves Crowder and was upset to see him go but the FO wanted the comp pick and salary savings.  I am not going to both complement them for adding compensation pick while slamming those same players who leave as busts -- that's an odd journey IMO. 

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I couldn't disagree more if you got a FO bent on comp picks.  Whether it's us, Ravens, Pats, etc.  It's just flailing to flail IMO when you got players who leave for decent money elsewhere because their drafting team has taken the tact of building comp compensation.  

You said you couldn't disagree more yet just completely agreed with me here lol...I said why players are not on the team matters more than just the fact that they aren't. You just said the same thing by giving an example of why players aren't with the team.

My other point was along the same lines, only in reverse--that you can't say it was a good draft for a team because players the team drafted are still in the league as starters or role players, only for other teams. you could say it was a good draft class in general for the NFL due to how many players are still on rosters, though.

2 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

You said you couldn't disagree more yet just completely agreed with me here lol...I said why players are not on the team matters more than just the fact that they aren't. You just said the same thing by giving an example of why players aren't with the team.

My other point was along the same lines, only in reverse--that you can't say it was a good draft for a team because players the team drafted are still in the league as starters or role players, only for other teams. you could say it was a good draft class in general for the NFL due to how many players are still on rosters, though.

OK sorry my bad, missed that turn in your statement I focused on the comment that they aren't here.

Injuries befall a lot of players and adversely affect their ability to demonstrate the totality of their skills. It looks like that happened here with Doctson, along with some cautious QBs who didn't give him as many chances to show what he's got. His position coach would echo that sentiment, and I'm pretty sure he'll sign someplace. I just hope he's able to fully move on from that injury. I always want Redskins to do well. I would think others on the board would, too, unless of course it's someone like Haynesworth, whom I don't consider to be a real Redskins in the first place.

9 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

Injuries befall a lot of players and adversely affect their ability to demonstrate the totality of their skills. It looks like that happened here with Doctson, along with some cautious QBs who didn't give him as many chances to show what he's got. His position coach would echo that sentiment, and I'm pretty sure he'll sign someplace. I just hope he's able to fully move on from that injury. I always want Redskins to do well. I would think others on the board would, too, unless of course it's someone like Haynesworth, whom I don't consider to be a real Redskins in the first place.

Cousins threw for 4100 yards and 27 td's in 2017 not exactly conservative numbers and not exactly a "cautious QB", Doctson started 14 of those games, He did bring in 6td's that year including a few acrobatic catches, Oakland and Seattle come to mind. Yeah i guess you could make a case for last season with the abominations we had under under center but I'm still going to respectively disagree with your opinion Also He had 78 targets in 2017 and ironically the same amount in 2018 but less production despite catching more balls( in terms of Td's and YPC)..... Doctson to me has always come off as a text book underachiever with little emotion to match, and in my opinion most of the blame can be put on this young mans shoulders and not the organization or the QB's.

When you are a first round pick you are held to a higher standard. You are 1 of 32 players , the Best of the Best and you need to produce like it regardless of the circumstances. 

6 hours ago, MassSkinsFan said:

Is it normal to have 5 RB on the roster?

Also do we really need 3 QB?

1 is going to IR.  

4 isn’t unusual. 

Keeping a guy who, in an ideal world is never active because the coach falls in love with a guy is silly. 

At least we cut one unproductive back...

1 hour ago, skinzplay said:

Hope Doctson signs on somewhere. Kid had an unfortunate run with the team, and I don't think any of the shortcomings were of his own doing. 

DB38DAC5-F709-4A1B-84BB-6980980C8984.gif.b1b3c32cbf824b60c99e3d64dd0f0d51.gif

15 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

I can't wait for Kelvin Harmon to develop into Art Monk clone and Robert Davis as the new Randy Moss!

I’d almost be happy if one of them developed into Albert Connell....

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

Tore a whole in the space-time continuum with that "not Doctsons fault" nonsense :ols:

C4024596-2A2B-47C6-87B5-1C8A5F5E7BA5.thumb.jpeg.322986a55651bec4e1c824e64f40cdaa.jpeg

Just now, TryTheBeal! said:

Doctson’s main problem was being overdrafted by our tipsy GM.  If he’d have gone in the 3rd/4th round where he belonged, nobody would be all that bent about it.  

80 catches and 8 Tds isn’t the worst 3 year run you’ll see.

He was never lasting until the 3/4 rd. He was a definite 1st rd draft pick by virtually any measure going into the draft and by all those that follow the draft. He was considered by most the best WR in the draft. The only one considered on the same level was LaQuan Treadwell who many said was as sure a NFL star as any in the recent history. He was just released by the Minn Vikings. You want to take a cheap shot at a guy with an alcohol problem fine, but at least be accurate. The entire NFL community got it wrong but by all measures Doctson was a 1st rd draft pick going into the draft. 1st draft picks are anything but automatic. The 1st rd success rate for WRs is about 60%. It shows how hard it is to get it right. It happens. So you release them and move on. 

Also, despite the derision thrown by some, it is fair to say Doctson was never used right. Kirk threw for a lot of yards but did not develop a rapport with Doctson despite Doctson making some really great throws. Kirk was so scared to throw a pick - unless it was desperation time he would not let his WRs go get balls - not just Doctson but any of his WRs. The lone exception was D Jackson as he is the best at tracking down balls as any WR I have ever seen. But those were not 505/50 or jump balls. Those were actually not very well thrown balls that Jackson tracked down. None of that is to trash Kirk. I liked him when here but he was not without flaws. Alex was well Alex. He had no plan of throwing any 50/50 balls if he even threw deep at all. In fairness he won with that approach but that did not help with Doctson. The only one that had the guts to air it out and give Doctson chances was Colt and you will see he had some of his best games when Colt was the QB. He had like 40% of his catches in the few games Colt played in. 

As for targets, when you break them down he was charged with quite a few targets that were actually throw aways. And in terms of drops, he has one of the lowest drop %s on the team last yr - and that with a carousel of QBs. But I know no body is really interested in the data.

That does not mean he has no responsibility for the lack of success here. He struggled to understand NFL route combinations. He also struggled to run as crisp a routes as he should have. So just like anything else it's a mixture or issues. 

He will get a chance somewhere else. I hope he is able to take advantage of it. He is a really good kid who despite fans interpretation has a love for the game. He worked his ass off here. It didn't work out - for several reasons as I stated above. Maybe a new team will bring it out of him. 

3 hours ago, skinzplay said:

Hope Doctson signs on somewhere. Kid had an unfortunate run with the team, and I don't think any of the shortcomings were of his own doing. 

I would think that the Robert Davis story would put this theory to bed. Davis had a gruesome injury LAST year. Tore several ligaments and fractured his tibia. Yet even though he was only a 6th round pick, he busted his ass and actually made the team way ahead of schedule.  Like many of us, I wanted Doctson to be something. Nice kid and all. He was drafted by a GM who liked to be noted for drafting "football players." Josh however just wasn't one of them.

Archived