Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

City Journal: David Koch’s Philanthropic Legacy

nonniey

It would be a good thing if this article caused some of you to reflect on your posted reactions to David Kochs death. But I'm sure it won't.

..... David and Charles Koch were blasphemers to the liberal orthodoxy. They believed in smaller government and thus criticized the welfare state, excessive taxation, and a great deal of government regulation. At the same time, they criticized America’s wars abroad, along with high levels of defense spending, and were sympathetic to the causes of gay rights and gay marriage. They were consistent in their views across a range of issues, antagonizing liberals but also vexing conservatives. The claim that David Koch was a reflexive right-winger is a caricature of his beliefs......

https://www.city-journal.org/david-koch-philanthropic-legacy

59 minutes ago, nonniey said:

It would be a good thing if this article caused some of you to reflect on your posted reactions to David Kochs death. But I'm sure it won't.

Nope

plenty of awful people do good things throughout their life. They’re still awful people. 

1 hour ago, tshile said:

Nope

plenty of awful people do good things throughout their life. They’re still awful people. 

The point was the grave dancing and reactions to his death. He was essentially a moderate Republican/Libertarian and got this reaction.  Many on this board I'd say fall into the awful people category if their posts actually reflect who they are.

13 minutes ago, nonniey said:

The point was the grave dancing and reactions to his death. He was essentially a moderate Republican/Libertarian and got this reaction.  Many on this board I'd say fall into the awful people category if their posts actually reflect who they are.

So is the problem the "grave dancing" or is it "dancing" on THIS guys grave? 

11 minutes ago, Llevron said:

So is the problem the "grave dancing" or is it "dancing" on THIS guys grave? 

Rejoicing over the death of just about everyone (just about) is an evil thing in my mind and rejoicing over this guys death indicates just about any political opponent is open to grave dancing.  

Would you not say grave dancing over the death of Ruth Bader Ginsburg would be an evil thing? You know some from the other side will do that simply for political reasons.  And that is what board posters are doing with Koch - doing this because he was a political opponent, and yes it is an evil thing to do. 

4 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Rejoicing over the death of just about everyone (just about) is an evil thing in my mind and rejoicing over this guys death indicates just about any political opponent is open to grave dancing.  

Would you not say grave dancing over the death of Ruth Bader Ginsburg would be an evil thing? You know some from the other side will do that simply for political reasons.  And that is what board posters are doing with Koch - doing this because he was a political opponent, and yes it is an evil thing to do. 

Sounds like alot of "my values must also be your values" to me. And im pretty sure thats what you hate about the smelly libs 

32 minutes ago, nonniey said:

I'm glad that first thread got closed and cant wait until this one is too because you arent getting it. 

This man is a primary reason for why its probably too late for us to revert climate change, no amount of humanitarianism is going to make up for states like Florida eventually being underwater.  The man was worth $59 billion, he coulda put that money towards preventing it but instead he put that money to causing it. 

I wont celebrate his death but theres no way in hell we should be celebrating his life when his decisions are costing lives and will inevitably cost far more.  It wasnt worth it to us still here, but it doesnt matter to him because hes already gone.

1 hour ago, nonniey said:

This is cute. 

His is actions speak louder than words. 

Awful people throwing time and money at good causes and having some thoughts that aren’t awful is great. The awful things they do are still awful. 

I will happily compare resumes with him. I’ve never done anything as awful as use my power and money to undermine a country to benefit myself and harm others. 

In essence the grave dancing is giving back to him what his anti-environment policies were doing to mankind.  He was dancing on the graves of everyone with his choice to enrich himself in the name of destroying the environment anytime it helped his bottom line.  He did it with a smile. 

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/aug/26/koch-activists-phoenix-ban-light-rail

For years, Phoenix’s public transportation plans have included a network of light rail lines connecting downtown to the suburbs, cutting air pollution and carbon emissions in a city dubbed the least sustainable in the US.

But as the city prepares to vote Tuesday on an expansion of its light rail system into a poorer, and more black and Hispanic, part of the city, the train is facing opposition from a group of business owners who fear they will lose customers. And they are receiving help from some eye-catching backers: activists affiliated with the Koch conservative network.

According to the language of the referendum, which the director of a Koch-funded political organization helped draft, not only will a vote against the expansion result in the cancellation of this particular line. It will also prohibit all future light rail construction in the city.

“Obviously we’re concerned with the impacts of the construction, but I’ve never seen this kind of outside group come in and write an initiative,” said Kate Gallego, the Phoenix mayor.

Koch brother groups have tried to derail public transit plans in other cities around the country, from Little Rock, Arkansas and central Utah, to Nashville, Tennessee and south-east Michigan. They have frequently called such projects “wasteful spending”. The Koch organization is also heavily invested in fossil fuels.

Light rail systems like Phoenix’s offer public transportation options that reduce greenhouse gas emissions. The first 20-mile stretch of light rail began operating in 2010, coinciding with a revitalization of the downtown area.

Yeah, **** these guys. Thankfully the people of Phoenix said **** these Captain Planet villains.

Posts OP about philanthropy of subject.  OP doesn’t contain quote from article about philanthropic deeds.

🤔

Im not cheering his death.  He held fundamentally different beliefs than I and, through the use of his vast fortune, made it impossible for people like me to have a voice in the matter.

4 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Who can forget Non-man’s stirring, heartfelt words in the John McCain RIP thread?

I will reproduce them now, verbatim.

”                     “

You do know this is pretty stupid response?  I'm commenting on people rejoicing over someones death because they didn't like their politics and you comment that I didn't comment on a thread where people weren't rejoicing over someones death.  

When getting a speeding ticket, do you complain that the cop didn't pull over any of the cars you were flying by?

9 minutes ago, nonniey said:

You do know this is pretty stupid response?  I'm commenting on people rejoicing over someones death because they didn't like their politics and you comment that I didn't comment on a thread where people weren't rejoicing over someones death.

That's not why their rejoicing.  This is not about partisanship, it's about being hurt by the choices this wanker made. We are happy because someone who did harm to our world for their own personal gain is gone. Simple as that.

40 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

That's not why their rejoicing.  This is not about partisanship, it's about being hurt by the choices this wanker made. We are happy because someone who did harm to our world for their own personal gain is gone. Simple as that.

The response is going to be something close to "No it has to be political because I said so" 

Watch. Ill be money. 

I don't consider making a few comments on a message board "rejoicing."   I doubt any of us are throwing parties or celebrations this weekend over the dude's death, however he was an awful human being that put his bottom line over just about anything/everything else.   Pointing out that we aren't in mourning over the guy's disappearance from the earth is not exactly "celebrating."  

What I will celebrate, is when enough people wake up to demand their lawmakers start reversing the harmful things his money helped pass to the detriment of mankind. 

Archived