Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Running back depth chart

skinsfan93

2 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

I hope AP is cool with being second fiddle, should Guice assume control like I think most all fans want to happen. IIRC AP didn't like being the backup in NO and lasted there just a handful of games because of it. He was obviously looking for a starting role, and kind of assume he wants the same here.

Idk coming off ACL and not being superhuman AP leads me more towards AP getting plenty of work this year and those roles reverse later.

2 hours ago, Vanguard said:

From what I heard, Penn is a better run blocker than pass blocker.

That's the best case for this offense as it's built to run first.  Harder to sack the QB off of play action setup by an effective running game. 

13 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

With Guice still recovering and AP proven to be a god, this is a good time for guys like Perine to get a ton of carries to see what he can bring to the table. If he shines he’s always a good trade chip.

I have no interest in seeing Perine, but you’re right.  Jay apparently thinks he’s Jim Brown.  And I think it’s those type of inclinations that got his decision making privileges curtailed.  I could be wrong, but I’d be inclined to take action also, if I were an owner.

The beautiful thing (and maybe Gruden will learn this someday) is that the statistics clearly show that PA passing is effective regardless of how often and/or how well the offense has been running the ball. You'd think it matters, but there is really no correlation. NFL defenses bite hard on PA as a rule, all the time, regardless of the opposing offense's running game. Almost nobody in the NFL is exploiting this inefficiency enough. 

9 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

The beautiful thing (and maybe Gruden will learn this someday) is that the statistics clearly show that PA passing is effective regardless of how often and/or how well the offense has been running the ball. You'd think it matters, but there is really no correlation. NFL defenses bite hard on PA as a rule, all the time, regardless of the opposing offense's running game. Almost nobody in the NFL is exploiting this inefficiency enough. 

Great post. I used to argue this point here. Specifically that you need to run the ball effectively EVERY game before you can use play action. I think it only took about 4 games and Jay opened a game with play action that was a big play.  

Defensive players are more aggressive than likely... ever. Certainly a ton more than the 70s and 80s. Run blitz? What's that....  Now D's crash hard every damn play, bend dont breakers (like us last year) aside. 

IMO a bigger factor than first "establishing the run" - is the QBs effectiveness at the fake. And bigger than both is simply showing a run look on 1st and 10, or 3rd and 1, and throwing.  Until teams like Jay stop being predictable on first and running, Ds will keep bringing it, 

You know a loss is pending when losing big, and our O is using play action and its a 3 man rush. Announcers used to call that once in a while, almost laughing.

1 hour ago, Vanguard said:

I have no interest in seeing Perine, but you’re right.  Jay apparently thinks he’s Jim Brown.  And I think it’s those type of inclinations that got his decision making privileges curtailed.  I could be wrong, but I’d be inclined to take action also, if I were an owner.

His favorite, Ryan Grant, didn't turn out too bad. He's became a #2 behind Hilton.

He does seem to have a knack for identifying talent, and that's just one example.

As for Perine, I wouldn't take him seriously on that. I think it's just coach-speak. It's quite possible Perine doesn't even make this year's 53.

4 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

His favorite, Ryan Grant, is doing very well with the Colts. He's considered a lock for #2 behind Hilton.

Everybody loves him up there.

That was last year, and then they let him go. He's actually scrambling to hold onto a roster spot now on the Raiders...for the other Gruden.

Thanks for the comp pick, Grant! Still stinks he (and we) got screwed by the Ravens. 

7 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

That was last year, and then they let him go. He's actually scrambling to hold onto a roster spot now on the Raiders...for the other Gruden.

Thanks for the comp pick, Grant! Still stinks he (and we) got screwed by the Ravens. 

Ok, sorry, I guess I'm a little behind on that story. Recently I was actually reading rave reviews about him in Indy, so apparently, they were from last year.

Funny how both Grudens seem to be getting each other's "leftovers" and it's working both ways.

2 minutes ago, dyst said:

If Guice is game ready in terms of health they they better play him. They need to test his knee. If its going to give again, better now then game one of the season. 

Jay said today there's a possibility he won't play at all this Thursday.

And in fact, he may wait 1-2 weeks before using him, according to today's presser

29 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Jay said today there's a possibility he won't play at all this Thursday.

And in fact, he may wait 1-2 weeks before using him, according to today's presser

That’s fine, just don’t want Jay trying to “preserve” him.

1 hour ago, Vanguard said:

Is bet that Perine is anther Gruden pick - one that didn't work out though. 

I’m not surprised so many of the negative nancy’s Are out in force. Perine has some talent. He rattled off a couple hundred yard games as a rookie when given a bigger role and quite frankly we haven’t seen him since. 

He clearly realized last year that to make the team he needed to improve in the pass game both as a receiver and blocker. We’ve been decimated by injuries to our RB’s similar to QB last year in the past so why would we not carry 4 RB’s and who on the roster could we trust after Guice and AP to carry the load for several games? Those two have their injury/durability concerns as does Thompson and even Marshall. 

My money is on 4 backs with Perine being that guy. He may not dress much again but people are so quick to dismiss him despite him showing some success as a rookie. Guy was a 4th round pick who clearly is a hard worker (weight room and been talked about by coaches on several occasions). That lends me to believe he’s probably improved quite a bit the last two years, we just haven’t seen it because of AP and now Guice. Probably won’t see him again this year but that doesn’t mean he’s not a decent player. 

This won't be a popular opinion here but I don't know why anyone thinks AP is going to play second fiddle to Guice when in fact it should and probably will be just the opposite. Guice has all the talent in the world but the reality is he hasn't played a single QRT of real football in the NFL yet. 

AP is a Hall of Fame runningback who despite being at the tail end of his career is still quite awesome &  played his heart out for us last year and was the MAIN reason we got off to that 6-3 (or was it 6-2 start i dont remember. )

Guice has alot to prove before he gets the bulk of carries for this football team

I started this thread and was hoping to get opinions on Perine. I’ll tell you based on tonight he needs to go. That pathetic attempt at blocking the DT that led to Haskins getting sacked was sad. I rooted for him when we drafted him but he has nothing special about him. 

His strong suit is his physicality but I don’t see any of his strength in his game. I’ll take Marshall over him and put Reynolds on PS. Bye bye Samaje...

People assume his physicality is his strength, but has anyone ever really seen that?  We see his size and assume. He ran through huge holes in college.

You can't teach size but for a load and strong as a bull, he is not trucking DBs.  And that is just a part of who he is, apparently. Patterns game after Stephen Davis...  I wonder if our coaches are telling him to avoid contact. You know, be a running back.

Our OL looked atrocious in what little a saw. The first 2 plays were OL holds. 2 Offensive penalties on the next play.  Like many bubble backs, Perine needs holes. And to not stop unblocked DTs.

I think our run blocking has been terrible for many years. We have no identity.

You would think Perine sees what AP does and he models his game after him. He’s not fast enough to run like Leveon where you hesitate and then hit the hole but that’s what he seems to do. He needs to be decisive and just power through the holes. 

I’m sure running behind an inadequate line hurts but Reynolds looked much sharper behind basically the same line. Like I said I’m done with Samaje 

Archived