Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Running back depth chart

skinsfan93

6 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

I am totally fine with no reps for Guice this preseason.

Is it really going to benefit our offense for Guice to get 4 carries, when I think its obvious AP is going to be the lead back?  I highly doubt it, and high skill backs just improvise on the fly anyways. He will get a few carries to spell AP to start the year but I want Jay to have a quick leash if AP can't do squat on any given Sunday. AP shouldn't need 20 carries to be AP. Our injury prone backs should all benefit from load sharing and when Guice does get in there, I want to see him used in the passing game dammit. 

Talk about a 1 dimensional offense. The only back we ever pass to, is Chris Thompson. This must change and it starts with Guice.

I get your point that it won't benefit the team for Guice to play preseason, but I think that it will benefit Guice himself.

Just from a mental standpoint I think he should get a few carries in game three, maybe a series or two, so he can start to put the injury behind him and move on.

There's obviously a chance of reaggravating the injury, but better to find out now rather than once the season starts. If he's been cleared and he feels like he's ready to play, then let him play. I'm really excited to see what the young man can do.

Guice is effectively a rookie. If there is no point to him getting reps in preseason then there is no point in having a preseason. The team needs to see him at NFL game speed and see how well he processes the action, adjusts, and protects. Jay's disdain for practice and preseason is rubbing off on too many. Maybe I'm old school, but Gibbs played everybody, everybody practiced, and by and large those were much healthier teams.

Coddling players doesn't really preserve them. Jay has avoided playing players for years. He gives them plentiful vet days off of practice. We're still the most injured team in the league. Maybe the goal should be to get the players playing and playing hard, full speed the whole time. When we see other teams in preseason they are always playing harder, seem sharper, and are more into the game. I really do think there is something fundamentally wrong to the mindset with which Jay's team approaches the preseason and I think it bleeds over into the season.

Good stuff Burgold.

But if Guice STILL isn't cleared to play after a full year, why rush to play him the day after he does come off?  If he was projected to be our starter, sure get his ass in there asap - we have work to do. But his early season work load points to being a backup behind a workhorse back. Even if he was at full health, the NFL coaching blueprint points to AP being the starter before slowly giving way, IF Guice dominates in limited reps.

I am no expert but think we could get Guice proper work if we had near full hitting practices; get almost the same work (or much more) than he would in an actual preseason game, outside of not knowing the defense.

35 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Good stuff Burgold.

But if Guice STILL isn't cleared to play after a full year, why rush to play him the day after he does come off?  If he was projected to be our starter, sure get his ass in there asap - we have work to do. But his early season work load points to being a backup behind a workhorse back. Even if he was at full health, the NFL coaching blueprint points to AP being the starter before slowly giving way, IF Guice dominates in limited reps.

I am no expert but think we could get Guice proper work if we had near full hitting practices; get almost the same work (or much more) than he would in an actual preseason game, outside of not knowing the defense.

That's fair and the injury thing is one to be taken seriously. Still, it boggles me how someone can be cleared at the start of training camp for full contact practice and a month later be unfit for a single preseason snap.

Then again, like Trent Williams says. Are medical staff is run by a bunch of doofusses.

On 8/20/2019 at 4:14 AM, Burgold said:

Guice is effectively a rookie. If there is no point to him getting reps in preseason then there is no point in having a preseason. The team needs to see him at NFL game speed and see how well he processes the action, adjusts, and protects. Jay's disdain for practice and preseason is rubbing off on too many. Maybe I'm old school, but Gibbs played everybody, everybody practiced, and by and large those were much healthier teams.

Coddling players doesn't really preserve them. Jay has avoided playing players for years. He gives them plentiful vet days off of practice. We're still the most injured team in the league. Maybe the goal should be to get the players playing and playing hard, full speed the whole time. When we see other teams in preseason they are always playing harder, seem sharper, and are more into the game. I really do think there is something fundamentally wrong to the mindset with which Jay's team approaches the preseason and I think it bleeds over into the season.

There are certain teams that go deep in the playoffs annually. Their teams are never as injured as ours despite playing significantly extra snaps throughout the year and also having less time to recover. 

It's mind boggling. 

55 minutes ago, sportjunkie07 said:

There are certain teams that go deep in the playoffs annually. Their teams are never as injured as ours despite playing significantly extra snaps throughout the year and also having less time to recover. 

It's mind boggling. 

Someone posted the data here but we aren’t necessarily the most injured team. We are always the most impacted by whom gets injured. It seems that we regularly lose starters and key contributors. That is why we can’t cant afford to have too many projects on the bench. You need guys who can step in and contribute. 

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

I saw a nice roster projection for our 53 from Twit dominater Mark Bullock and it seemed like there was room for Perine.   All the bubble guys this year are on offense.

If both brantley and settle are hurt, who is the backup to Payne and allen? 

Or do we not need one due to defensive scheme of not having Payne allen and ion on the field all the time?

How does trent come into play regarding the established 53 man? He doesn't count but still remains under contract, correct?

7 hours ago, sportjunkie07 said:

If both brantley and settle are hurt, who is the backup to Payne and allen? 

Or do we not need one due to defensive scheme of not having Payne allen and ion on the field all the time?

How does trent come into play regarding the established 53 man? He doesn't count but still remains under contract, correct?

I don't know but maybe we could see Kerrigan hand in the dirt and Cassanova on the field at the same time. Basically if the injuries are minor, go with a different scheme and keep a roster spot open for the 9WRs we need to have spots for.  Galdi was talking up Stevie Sims as a candidate for the 53. I thought he was a sure PS candidate.

Some numbers regarding AP and all time rushing yards and rushing TDs.

Peterson is 344 rushing yards behind Bettis (7th all time)

366 behind Tomlinson (6th)

783 behind Martin (5th)

1466 behind Gore (4th and still active, I think)

He is tied with Jim Brown for 106 rushing TDs (5th)

Walter P. 110 (4th)

Allen 123 (3rd)

will be interesting to see how much he will be able to get this year if he is not the feature back.

Archived