Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Go forth and get your free money from Equifax!

Springfield

https://slate.com/technology/2019/07/equifax-settlement-money-how-to-claim.html

Go claim your $125 from Equifax. Right now. Even if $125 isn’t a sum of money that matters to you, even if you don’t feel you were really directly affected by the breach. Even if the prospect of filling out a relatively brief online form fills you with more dread than the theft of all your personal data.

Consider it a part of your civic duty: driving up the costs of data breaches for corporations so they have an incentive to invest more heavily in security. The payouts to individuals are part of the $575 to $700 million settlement that Equifax reached with the Federal Trade Commission, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, and 48 states. (Indiana and Massachusetts are still pursuing their own lawsuits against Equifax.)

Do it!  It’s easy.  They ****ed you, so **** them right back.

• Thanks 1

A bunch of years ago I saw a post here on Extremeskins that claimed if you signed up at a certain website you'd get a free subscription to Maxim magazine.  I was skeptical.  I signed up with all the real information except I changed my first name to my dead cat's name.  Here almost a decade later, I still get junk mail to the house with his name on it.  That link was the only time I've ever used that name.  Never once got a Maxim magazine.  Fool me once...........

• Haha 1

I signed up a few days ago but took the credit monitoring.  I thought the fine print said you only got $125 if you had already spent time/money on credit monitoring yourself.

Regardless, four years of it for $125 over all three bureaus is a pretty good deal.

3 minutes ago, Forehead said:

I signed up a few days ago but took the credit monitoring.  I thought the fine print said you only got $125 if you had already spent time/money on credit monitoring yourself.

Regardless, four years of it for $125 over all three bureaus is a pretty good deal.

I believe it says if you already have credit monitoring and will for at least six months from today. I get FICO score updates through my credit card company so I gladly accepted my $125. 

6 hours ago, HOF44 said:

I heard the fine print is it’s 125 up to a certain dollar figure then it gets divided down among participants from there. 

ya'll be cutting into my profit, lock this thing down.

23 hours ago, HOF44 said:

I heard the fine print is it’s 125 up to a certain dollar figure then it gets divided down among participants from there. 

I read that only $31M of the total settlement goes toward making the $125 cash payments.

147 M were impacted. If half of those impacted make a claim you are getting 42 cents.

On 7/27/2019 at 9:06 AM, Grumpy Vet said:

Fool me once...........

I'm not sure if you're kidding, or just looking for a reason to tell a funny story, but if you're actually worried about whether or not this is legit, you can access it directly from the Federal Trade Commission website: https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/cases-proceedings/refunds/equifax-data-breach-settlement

Although I guess having a conman heading the current administration might make that link suspect too, now that I reflect...

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, techboy said:

I'm not sure if you're kidding, or just looking for a reason to tell a funny story, but if you're actually worried about whether or not this is legit, you can access it directly from the Federal Trade Commission website: https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/cases-proceedings/refunds/equifax-data-breach-settlement

Although I guess having a conman heading the current administration might make that link suspect too, now that I reflect...

And there's the very true point that all the criminals and the Chinese already have all your data. Why would they go to the trouble of setting up another website?

• Thanks 1

On 7/27/2019 at 6:36 PM, Popeman38 said:

I’ve had free credit monitoring for years from the Home Depot, Target, and OPM hacks. 

Yeah, Jeebus. And now Capital One.  At this point I might as well plaster my photo, social security number, and mother's maiden name on a series of billboards along Interstate 95.

• Haha 2