Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Go forth and get your free money from Equifax!

Springfield

40 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

If I understand it correctly, in order to qualify for the $125, I must have credit monitoring currently that will continue for 6 months.

I don't currently have that, but it sounds like it's easy to find it for free.

Or you could just lie about it.

26 minutes ago, Springfield said:

They say they may ask for documents later, so I wondered if that meant they might ask for proof of the credit monitoring.

Also, you said you get free credit monitoring from Discover. i have a debit card through them. Or is it only through their credit card ?

The only totally free one I could find that doesn't require having a business relationship with another company, is Credit Karma.

But I'm reading a lot of review how that's a scam.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

Heard on the radio that the pool of funds for the $125 is grossly limited... will pay the full $125 for up to 175k people or something like that. There were 150m people impacted. So beyond the 175k claims, the amount will be diluted. 500k people claim it, we’re looking at like $44/ea. So you might be better off just taking the free credit monitoring. 

Look on the bright side though, the lawyers are getting rich. 

Edited by skinsfan_1215

The Capitalone statement posted on their website says:

No bank account numbers or Social Security numbers were compromised, other than:

About 140,000 Social Security numbers of our credit card customers

About 80,000 linked bank account numbers of our secured credit card customers

For our Canadian credit card customers, approximately 1 million Social Insurance Numbers were compromised in this incident.

i.e. No accounts were compromised, other than the ones that were.

Edited by Corcaigh
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Ethics aside, it's probably not a great idea to commit perjury for 125 dollars (or possibly/probably much less), even if it's unlikely to be caught.

Besides, there are so many ways to get monitoring for free. I use the Experian app, for example, and get free alerts, as well as free access to my credit report any time.

3 minutes ago, techboy said:

Ethics aside, it's probably not a great idea to commit perjury for 125 dollars (or possibly/probably much less), even if it's unlikely to be caught.

Besides, there are so many ways to get monitoring for free. I use the Experian app, for example, and get free alerts, as well as free access to my credit report any time.

Ever just decide to live a little?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Also, you said you get free credit monitoring from Discover. i have a debit card through them. Or is it only through their credit card ?

discover gives me free credit reports and I have nothing thru them.......of course they are always trying to give me a loan or card.

29 minutes ago, twa said:

discover gives me free credit reports and I have nothing thru them.......of course they are always trying to give me a loan or card.

That's interesting, because I have a checking, debit card, savings, and 3 CD's through them, and I just called them and they told me I still had to get the actual credit card in order to get the benefits. I wonder how you got on their good side. 😀

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

What other ways would you recommend for the service, that are free and safe ?

I like the Experian app quite a bit, though I actually got it to count credit cards now that Chase has a rule of automatically rejecting anyone who has had 5 or more new credit card openings in the past 24 months.

Several different credit cards also track credit scores and will tell you about changes in score, with reasons. I believe cards I have that have this are American Express, Barclays, Chase, and Discover.

I'm not sure I'd worry so much about safe... As this instance shows... My information is almost certainly out there already... At this point it's just a matter of keeping an eye on it and watching for trouble.

The truly worried can contact each of the credit bureaus and freeze them, but it's a pain to unfreeze to apply for new cards, so I haven't done that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, techboy said:

I like the Experian app quite a bit, though I actually got it to count credit cards now that Chase has a rule of automatically rejecting anyone who has had 5 or more new credit card openings in the past 24 months.

Several different credit cards also track credit scores and will tell you about changes in score, with reasons. I believe cards I have that have this are American Express, Barclays, Chase, and Discover.

I'm not sure I'd worry so much about safe... As this instance shows... My information is almost certainly out there already... At this point it's just a matter of keeping an eye on it and watching for trouble.

The truly worried can contact each of the credit bureaus and freeze them, but it's a pain to unfreeze to apply for new cards, so I haven't done that.

I think I'm going to go with the "freeze" method.

I read that in 2018 it became a free option for someone to freeze their credit. All you need is a PIN number to unfreeze it.

I don't plan to apply for more credit for a long time, so it should work for me.

So for someone that can handle their credit being frozen, it actually seems like a better option than credit monitoring, no ?

8 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I think I'm going to go with the "freeze" method.

I read that in 2018 it became a free option for someone to freeze their credit. All you need is a PIN number to unfreeze it.

I don't plan to apply for more credit for a long time, so it should work for me.

So for someone that can handle their credit being frozen, it actually seems like a better option than credit monitoring, no ?

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/2018/09/free-credit-freezes-are-here

So yes, it's free, and if you're not interested in new credit, probably the safest option, combined with checking credit reports once a year (also free).

Pulling one of the three every four months is a good way to keep track of things too.

• Thanks 1

On 7/27/2019 at 9:06 AM, Grumpy Vet said:

A bunch of years ago I saw a post here on Extremeskins that claimed if you signed up at a certain website you'd get a free subscription to Maxim magazine.  I was skeptical.  I signed up with all the real information except I changed my first name to my dead cat's name.  Here almost a decade later, I still get junk mail to the house with his name on it.  That link was the only time I've ever used that name.  Never once got a Maxim magazine.  Fool me once...........

On 7/28/2019 at 12:25 PM, techboy said:

I'm not sure if you're kidding, or just looking for a reason to tell a funny story, but if you're actually worried about whether or not this is legit, you can access it directly from the Federal Trade Commission website: https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/cases-proceedings/refunds/equifax-data-breach-settlement

He never got his Maxim magazines though. And that seems to be a big deal for him, even now. That's probably what made him Grumpy Vet

If the settlement included a subscription to Maxim, betcha he'd bite on that offer 😀

jk Grumpy

On 7/27/2019 at 11:44 AM, HOF44 said:

I heard the fine print is it’s 125 up to a certain dollar figure then it gets divided down among participants from there. 

Right, so spreading the word and encouraging people to get the money really works against you.   

Folks gonna wind up with $1.25 instead of $125.  lol

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...