Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mason Foster released

Riggo-toni

6 hours ago, goskins10 said:

They may need money for Scherff. Could be considered emergency money. Who knows. Maybe they just want rid of him..  🙂  

Possibly.  Guess time will tell.  :) 

5 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

A Brandon Scherff extension would likely reduce his 2019 cap hit anyways.  So that's not it.  It could go to TW.  But regardless, with Cap Rollover having 4 million laying around isn't a bad thing.  Means we've got 4 million more to work with in 2020.

I've played around with OverTheCap's calculator, and it's unfortunately apparent how much the Alex Smith injury hurts the team.  They aren't getting out from under that contract for 3 years.  The team kind of has to be ruthless with how it spends the cap.  Because of that, I was surprised that neither Vernon Davis nor Jordan Reed were cut.  If we drafted a TE in Round 1 or Round 2, I was thinking they could even cut both Davis and Reed.

So moving on from Mason Foster makes sense.  Moving on from one of Davis or Reed makes sense...unless the coaches/FO think they're closer to playoff contention than everyone else does.  But IF they do think that, then it has to mean they'll give Trent more money.  I can see moving on from Foster if the coaches/FO think Bostic/JHC/Holcomb are in the same ballpark production wise.  But there's no way they can think the unproven and returning from knee injury Geron Christian is in the same ballpark as Trent Williams.

Time will tell.

12 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

But it was with Foster already, so why not play the younger, faster, more physically talented players?

You make it sound like they so much better then him, we dont k ow that, we jus know Foster sucks.  Potential doesnt equal production, we are now at zero-zero at both ILBs now.  If anything they will be inexperienced, it's still going to be the weak point of the defense.

The only thing i’ll say re “cutting cancers from the team” is that the team stinks, has stunk, and looses in big moments.  And once guys complain about it they get cut... now, i’m not behind the scenes but it sure seems like there is no leadership and when someone tries to step up they are labeled by the fans as a dangerous cancer...  I don’t think cutting Foster now had much to do with what he said a year ago anyway, but this whole team is kind of a cancer.

7 hours ago, NeverSurrender said:

He earned it with his tweet, conversation or whatever it was.  If he has no respect for us then we should show none for him. 

7 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

He deserved every second of what happened to him today.

Not wrong that he deserved it, but at the same time, it's not the greatest advertisement to free agents saying "and if you insult our fans, we'll get revenge by waiting more than half a year to cut you and your car's tires."

Either the FO didn't care about the tweets and just has an amazing lack of awareness about the calendar, or they did care but did absolutely **** all about it for 9 months so that when they cut him, nobody was really clear on why they chose now of all times. I don't see the part where this looks like a well-planned decision by an FO that cares about its fan base or the needs of the team.

23 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

The only thing i’ll say re “cutting cancers from the team” is that the team stinks, has stunk, and looses in big moments.  And once guys complain about it they get cut... now, i’m not behind the scenes but it sure seems like there is no leadership and when someone tries to step up they are labeled by the fans as a dangerous cancer...  I don’t think cutting Foster now had much to do with what he said a year ago anyway, but this whole team is kind of a cancer.

"**** this team and this fanbase." That, friends, is what stepping up looks like. Grade A+ leadership. I said in another thread that I'd fight and die for Alex Smith just for the sake of listening to his voice yell at me.... but I lied. I'd fight and die for Mason Foster and his tweets about my squad and the civvies back home.

3 hours ago, Ghedrick said:

4 million in cap saved for cutting a below average mlb I don't see how this could be negative.I love the move and even like that we screwed him according to his agent even more.Talk about the fans at your next stop Mason that is if any other team is dumb enough to have you.Nothing like seeing Jason Kelsey rag this guy with one arm.

It doesn't matter if you think he deserved it, this is not a good look to other players or other agents (or hell the same agent if he has other clients with us). Setting aside the moral argument of whether you should sink to someone else's level (especially in business), just looking at it from a practical POV there was no reason for it that was worth the negative PR trickling through the NFL agent grapevine now. We've got enough of that. 

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

You make it sound like they so much better then him, we dont k ow that, we jus know Foster sucks.  Potential doesnt equal production, we are now at zero-zero at both ILBs now.  If anything they will be inexperienced, it's still going to be the weak point of the defense.

So? Better to be cheap and suck than expensive and suck. It really can't get much worse with the way he allowed offenses to attack us. 

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

it sure seems like there is no leadership and when someone tries to step up they are labeled by the fans as a dangerous cancer

I agree this team needs some more vocal leaders.

What Foster did was not leadership, it was cancerous. There is a difference, it just doesn't take speaking out while on a bad team to be a leader (even though that's not even what he did). 

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

So? Better to be cheap and suck than expensive and suck. It really can't get much worse with the way he allowed offenses to attack us. 

To be clear, I'm not against cutting Foster.  I'm jus reacting to the notion we're somehow improved by doing so, I dont think so, and we should be keeping our ear to the ground for any potential veterans at ILB that get released around this time of year.  Im not in support of intentionally sucking as part of some stupid process or higher draft picks.

5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

To be clear, I'm not against cutting Foster.  I'm jus reacting to the notion we're somehow improved by doing so, I dont think so, and we should be keeping our ear to the ground for any potential veterans at ILB that get released around this time of year.  Im not in support of intentionally sucking as part of some stupid process or higher draft picks.

I disagree. We can't realistically get much worse than Foster, even a raw player with some athleticism is imo better. Even if you're correct and we're exactly the same or slightly worse, because we aren't improved...we now have $4M more in cap space...that's an improvement. Starting Foster at his cap hit was more of a tanking move than freeing up that space for help elsewhere and starting someone who might accidentally make a play on Sundays. Addition by subtraction is sometimes a thing even in professional sports. 

35 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I disagree. We can't realistically get much worse than Foster, even a raw player with some athleticism is imo better. Even if you're correct and we're exactly the same or slightly worse, because we aren't improved...we now have $4M more in cap space...that's an improvement. Starting Foster at his cap hit was more of a tanking move than freeing up that space for help elsewhere and starting someone who might accidentally make a play on Sundays. Addition by subtraction is sometimes a thing even in professional sports. 

See I was trying to stick to "on the field", bring up that we got the extra cap space is debatable if that makes up for the now glaring level of inexperience at a position that was already a weakness.  Foster's problem was he was too slow to get there, are these guys even going to know where to go?  I have to see it to believe it, I'm not going to just assume it.  

If we both agree Foster sucked, saying these new guys are "better" isn't good enough, they need to be good or they suck, too.  We absolutely can do worse if neither one of the starters are NFL starting quality PLUS waiting to get taken advantage of because of inexperience, if they shouldn't be starting they shouldn't be starting, we've all seen that just because they are the best we have at the position on the roster and starting doesn't mean they are any good, these gusy are going to now win their jobs by default because there's nobody left. 

11 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Here's my guess.  Foster played last season bulked up to 250ish, supposedly he was asked to get quicker so he dropped 15-20 pounds to around 230-235 (rumors).  If during OTA's, they saw he wasn't noticeably moving better in the 230's than at 250.  It makes sense.  His issues with range would still be there, and opposing offenses can keep those 2018 playcalls to isolate Foster in space.

Good points but I was actually referring to their evaluation of Bostic.  

3 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

See I was trying to stick to "on the field", bring up that we got the extra cap space is debatable if that makes up for the now glaring level of inexperience at a position that was already a weakness.  Foster's problem was he was too slow to get there, are these guys even going to know where to go?  I have to see it to believe it, I'm not going to just assume it.  

If we both agree Foster sucked, saying these new guys are "better" isn't good enough, they need to be good or they suck, too.  We absolutely can do worse if neither one of the starters are NFL starting quality PLUS waiting to get taken advantage of because of inexperience, if they shouldn't be starting they shouldn't be starting, we've all seen that just because they are the best we have at the position on the roster and starting doesn't mean they are any good, these gusy are going to now win their jobs by default because there's nobody left. 

Just not following this line of thinking at all. Let me get this straight - we should keep a guy we know sucks and not start guys who might suck but at least have an upside because why? They may not know the playbook right now? You can tech the playbook. You can't teach how to be faster, well not a lot faster.  

I would much rather move on from a guy that sucks to guys that might suck that are a lot cheaper. If they suck too we keep looking. But keeping a guy and letting him play because we are not 100% certain their replacements are way better is how you continue to be a ****ty team in perpetuity. 

And how is more CAP space debatable? It's not actually $4M as some have said. Between dead cap and Jon Bostic's salary - yet to be released but it's can't be much more than minimum - the real CAP savings is likely about $3M. But whatever the number is, it's real. Nothing debatable about it. Now if you mean they end up spending more money on someone else to get better at the position? Possibly. But then they get better not stay ****ty. 

There is zero reason to keep Foster on the roster. If the replacements are worse - which I am not sure how much worse they can be, but Ok let's say they are worse - you keep looking. I see very little down side and a lot of upside. Not seeing the big problem here. 

Every so often, running in place is running backwards. From that perspective, the Mason Foster cut was a healthy decision. As far as his comments go, the cut does not reflect on his comments. They're too far in the past.

In the short run, this move may make the team worse. We lose his savvy and experience on the field. That anticipation sometimes helped, but there's a point where the try-hard guys, be they Mason Foster, Reed Doughty, or James Thrash, become a safety blanket that's just been washed too many times and has a few too many holes in it. They might comfort you, but they can't keep you warm at night.

I was on the fence regarding Foster. He made the calls on defense and was relatively durable, but he was also too slow and wore too much face paint (which annoyed me for some unknown reason).

So I'm not bothered by the cut at all, but the timing of it was a little ****ty. Could've let the dude know earlier so he could've make different plans. Of course it could have been on purpose as a bit of a punishment for the disparaging tweets, who knows?

21 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Just not following this line of thinking at all. Let me get this straight - we should keep a guy we know sucks and not start guys who might suck but at least have an upside because why? They may not know the playbook right now? You can tech the playbook. You can't teach how to be faster, well not a lot faster.  

You're killing me, I've said twice I was fine with cutting Foster, I'm not okay with the projected starters.  We should add another veteran.

I would much rather move on from a guy that sucks to guys that might suck that are a lot cheaper. If they suck too we keep looking. But keeping a guy and letting him play because we are not 100% certain their replacements are way better is how you continue to be a ****ty team in perpetuity. 

And how is more CAP space debatable? It's not actually $4M as some have said. Between dead cap and Jon Bostic's salary - yet to be released but it's can't be much more than minimum - the real CAP savings is likely about $3M. But whatever the number is, it's real. Nothing debatable about it. Now if you mean they end up spending more money on someone else to get better at the position? Possibly. But then they get better not stay ****ty. 

You cant play or start cap space.

There is zero reason to keep Foster on the roster. If the replacements are worse - which I am not sure how much worse they can be, but Ok let's say they are worse - you keep looking. I see very little down side and a lot of upside. Not seeing the big problem here. 

I want us to keep looking, that's what I started with that's what I'm sticking with.

2 minutes ago, London Kev said:

I was on the fence regarding Foster. He made the calls on defense and was relatively durable, but he was also too slow and wore too much face paint (which annoyed me for some unknown reason).

So I'm not bothered by the cut at all, but the timing of it was a little ****ty. Could've let the dude know earlier so he could've make different plans. Of course it could have been on purpose as a bit of a punishment for the disparaging tweets, who knows?

I get what you are saying player wise, although I do nto totally agree. But I find it interesting you say he was durable. And you are not alone. He missed 22% of the games he was a Redskin. Last yr was his first 16 gm season starting since 2012 (He did play 16 gms once in 2016 but only started 13). 

5 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I get what you are saying player wise, although I do nto totally agree. But I find it interesting you say he was durable. And you are not alone. He missed 22% of the games he was a Redskin. Last yr was his first 16 gm season starting since 2012 (He did play 16 gms once in 2016 but only started 13). 

Dammit, another example of my memory not aligning with reality, I blame the 1980's, lol.

I know he missed a chunk of 2017, but thought that was about it. Oh well, I'm even less bothered by the cut now.

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

You're killing me, I've said twice I was fine with cutting Foster, I'm not okay with the projected starters.  We should add another veteran.

You cant play or start cap space.

I want us to keep looking, that's what I started with that's what I'm sticking with.

If you have said that then fine. It was not in the comments I have responded to. But I still maintain you are being overly dramatic about the replacements. First your contention there is a glaring inexperience is not true. Jon Bostic has been in the league 6 seasons. SDH was here all last year and played well when in - at least for a rookie. I did not look at the others as I do not have time. But those two alone refute your contention. 

Really not understanding your snark about CAP space other than it being snarky. You need CAP space for other players. Does that turn into another ILB that ends up being more expensive? Possibly - which ironically is what it appears you are advocating. That they should have made some veteran FA signing - like a guy with 5 or 6 yrs starting, well like Jon Bostic who they did in fact sign. So they did do that. I do not see a 6 yr veteran as inexperienced. 

And there is no way to know they are not still looking - which I would guess they still are which is why it took this long to release Foster. In the end they decided it was best to move on and keep looking but knew he was not in their plans. Now, if you have some kind of proof they are done at that position and are convinced they have they future in the building I would be very interested. I mean that sincerely.

It's July 24th. They released a guy who is not helping the team and they knew they did not want here. They signed a guy that may be a backwards move but is more likely to be sideways at worst and an improvement at best for a lot less money (the caveat being if the Bostic contract comes out at close to the same money as Foster). Right now there is nobody they are that interested in but at least they improved their cash position in case someone they like is let go. I see nothing wrong with the path they are on. It's part of the off-season. 

Let me say this, would I like them to get someone we who is know stud at ILB? Of course. Does this make them whole at ILB? No, of course not. But sometimes your have to take small steps. At least they are unloading what they know is dead weight and replacing it was some promise even if it's small. 

27 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

If you have said that then fine. It was not in the comments I have responded to. But I still maintain you are being overly dramatic about the replacements. First your contention there is a glaring inexperience is not true. Jon Bostic has been in the league 6 seasons. SDH was here all last year and played well when in - at least for a rookie. I did not look at the others as I do not have time. But those two alone refute your contention. 

Really not understanding your snark about CAP space other than it being snarky. You need CAP space for other players. Does that turn into another ILB that ends up being more expensive? Possibly - which ironically is what it appears you are advocating. That they should have made some veteran FA signing - like a guy with 5 or 6 yrs starting, well like Jon Bostic who they did in fact sign. So they did do that. I do not see a 6 yr veteran as inexperienced. 

What other ILB on the roster has any regular NFL starting experience?  I jus checked, hes also the only player on the team site labeled as ILB.  I dont get how being concerned about this is being dramatic, should I just not say nothing? This the official team message board, where else am I going to bring this up?

And there is no way to know they are not still looking - which I would guess they still are which is why it took this long to release Foster. In the end they decided it was best to move on and keep looking but knew he was not in their plans. Now, if you have some kind of proof they are done at that position and are convinced they have they future in the building I would be very interested. I mean that sincerely.

Again, I was responding to idea of going in without adding anyone else.  You coming at me on the post you walked in on.

It's July 24th. They released a guy who is not helping the team and they knew they did not want here. They signed a guy that may be a backwards move but is more likely to be sideways at worst and an improvement at best for a lot less money (the caveat being if the Bostic contract comes out at close to the same money as Foster). Right now there is nobody they are that interested in but at least they improved their cash position in case someone they like is let go. I see nothing wrong with the path they are on. It's part of the off-season. 

I do if they dont bring someone else in.

Let me say this, would I like them to get someone we who is know stud at ILB? Of course. Does this make them whole at ILB? No, of course not. But sometimes your have to take small steps. At least they are unloading what they know is dead weight and replacing it was some promise even if it's small. 

I'm not feeling what we're doing at ILB and hope I'm wrong.

We have another Bostic in the mix. Please don't tell me he is only here because of his last name though. AKA, Dan and Bruce living in the past. Is he Jeff's kid? No, Dan. No? No. 🤦‍♂️Ok whatever... lets bring him in anyways.   He once competed for a spot against Mason Foster in 2015, and lost. He seems to have his fair share of injuries.

Sam Dion Hamilton has some good traits. High school valedictorian, military family, team captain, rolls tide, national championship experiences.... offset by injuries of course. But it looks like his job to lose.  #20

sdh1.gif

Well, at least we have our ILB thread for the year.

1. He's not that good

2. We have a similar level replacement in Jon bostic

3. We have youngsters that have potential

4. These options are cheaper

In case this wasn't enough, he mouthed off to everyone. 

Foster and his agent are a joke to try to blame this on the redskins management and act like they have no idea why it happened. 

Archived