Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Owls0325

Do we still really know at all how much Trent has actually talked to the front office about his wishes though?   

If Trent is still saying from his own mouth (or his agent's mouth) that he is not ever playing for the 'Skins again, then I think you immediately start looking at trade potential.  That isn't to say you just unload him for a bad return, but I would still be taking the phone calls and reaching out to teams with my own phone calls.   I wouldn't recommend the front office to be just sitting on this doing nothing. 

There should be contingency plans in place that satisfy every option.

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Yeah if TW shows up for just enough games to make sure he gets his salary and this year is counted then that will be pretty revealing and will make any claim that it was about principle, the team doctors, whatever, specious at best. I also think it could turn teammates against him.

Thats not even close to true.  In fact, it will show the complete opposite, that it had nothing to do with money, and was all about principle and the medical staff.  If it was about money, he would show up for all of the games, not the last 6, because his paycheck is directly tied to how many games he shows up in.  Im not sure why THATS hard to understand.

But if he really truly is desperate to get out and has no interest in being on the Redskins no matter what, then showing up for the last 6 games(knowing you likely will only play in a few) so you can just get that season accrued is 100% what he and anyone else in that situation would do.   This is just plain fan bias to say otherwise because theres a guy they hate for no good reason(trying to protect himself against what we already know is a danger), and have already made up their mind that no matter what he does they will hate him and make it his fault.

7 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

BTW, people keep saying he'll "accrue a season" by reporting at some point, but unless I'm completely missing something, there is not much value to that at all. Generally players report late to accrue a season to have enough service time to become a FA. Williams will be a FA after 2020 whether he reports tomorrow, in week 10, next training camp or not at all. The only thing I can think would change with the "accrued season" is if the team wants to go after some of his signing bonus money. But considering that was only an 8.5 mil bonus and we're 4 years into the 5 year deal, it's not much money. For a guy who's holding out and sacrificing $11 mil in salary for the year, that can't be a big consideration.

Players dont get to sit out and then go into free agency.  If they sit out and dont play, its as if that year didnt happen on their contracts.  Otherwise players in their last year could do this all of the time, and force their hand.  If Williams doesnt report this season, he has 2 seasons left on his contract, and will be an FA after 2021.

Otherwise retired players like Calvin Johnson could come back right now because if their contract was based on expiration date, he would be past it.  But its based on seasons left, and he would still have a contract with the Lions.

15 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

BTW, people keep saying he'll "accrue a season" by reporting at some point, but unless I'm completely missing something, there is not much value to that at all. Generally players report late to accrue a season to have enough service time to become a FA. Williams will be a FA after 2020 whether he reports tomorrow, in week 10, next training camp or not at all. The only thing I can think would change with the "accrued season" is if the team wants to go after some of his signing bonus money. But considering that was only an 8.5 mil bonus and we're 4 years into the 5 year deal, it's not much money. For a guy who's holding out and sacrificing $11 mil in salary for the year, that can't be a big consideration.

I'm almost certain that is incorrect. If he sits out the whole season this year the Redskins will still own his rights for 2 more years. If he sits out 10 years for that matter and want's to play again the Redskins would still own his rights for 2 more years.

21 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Players dont get to sit out and then go into free agency.  If they sit out and dont play, its as if that year didnt happen on their contracts.  Otherwise players in their last year could do this all of the time, and force their hand.  If Williams doesnt report this season, he has 2 seasons left on his contract, and will be an FA after 2021.

Otherwise retired players like Calvin Johnson could come back right now because if their contract was based on expiration date, he would be past it.  But its based on seasons left, and he would still have a contract with the Lions.

Actually, I erred in the way I talked about this. In fact, it's not really spelled out in the CBA, it would be a matter of arbitration. The last player who did it was under a previous CBA and was, as you indicate, ruled to have needed to play out the number of years under contract. It hasn't been tested in a long time, but probably you're right, his contract would likely toll that way.

I was more thinking about how the general definition of "accruing a season" isn't the proper definition of what he'd be doing, and that I don't think Williams really cares about it, and I posted about his FA status without thinking it completely thru. So I'll edit that.

Trying to carry on too many convos at once, my brain can't handle it.

In fact, Peterson has hung out with Williams recently, and while it's clear Williams is where he needs to be physically, it's far less clear when he'll be putting that physicality to work on an NFL field. Listening to Peterson, this holdout may still be far from its conclusion.

"Yeah, like I said he was here last week," Peterson told Redskins Talk. "I went over to see him a couple of days and he's in good spirits. He looks good, he looks like he's ready to play some football but, you know, don't know if that'll be happening."

"Anytime soon, or this year?" Finlay asked.

"I don't know," Peterson said.

D.  Hall on Sheehan's show on Trent just now.

A. Trent is back in Texas

B.  He still thinks he ultimately plays here 

C.  He thinks he plays here worse case by week 10 - so he can get his accrued season.

D.  Trent and the team aren't talking much.  He thinks if the team was more forward with him he might have come back earlier.

If all of that is true (about the FO not pushing it with Trent) then it plays into Hoffman's narrative which is the team just thinks Trent blinks eventually and when he does they will have him back and its just a matter of when.  

22 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

D.  Trent and the team aren't talking much.  He thinks if the team was more forward with him he might have come back earlier.

If all of that is true (about the FO not pushing it with Trent) then it plays into Hoffman's narrative which is the team just thinks Trent blinks eventually and when he does they will have him back and its just a matter of when.  

This is mind-bending if true.

Another welp™

31 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

D.  Hall on Sheehan's show on Trent just now.

...He thinks if the team was more forward with him he might have come back earlier.

How does this square with Hall saying Bruce said to Trent "Tell me who to fire and I'll fire them"?...Because to me, offering to fire people if it helps get him back definitely sounds like the team was being rather "forward" with him.

24 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Everything is speculation and from outside sources...

...I'm even more shocked...

I'm shocked that you are ignoring what is right in front of your eyes, that it's week 2, and still no sign of Trent Williams.  One of his friends and business partners, AP - says he's talked to him personally and no clue if he will ever be back.  DHall says he has talked to him personally and Trent is back home in Texas and hasn't done much talking with the team.  Those are actual facts that align with what LaCanfora was saying months ago.  

You can continue to ignore that and assume everyone is just lying for the sake of participating in the meanie media conspiracy against the poor Redskins all you wish.  But I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Trent Williams to speak out about what's going on. 

I have always been a firm believer in never rooting against anyone wearing your team's colors, but if TW does in fact hold out until week 10 just to accrue the season, then **** him. By then the season may be as good as over. As Cali mentioned and was discussed 20+ pages ago, BA offered to fire anyone on the medical staff and that somehow didn't satisfy TW. It's all about the money. For those not comprehending the situation, go look at LevBell. He sat out all year, forfeiting his 2018 salary so that he could have the opportunity to land a long-term contract with more guaranteed money. Longevity is not the NFL's forte.

As upset as I am with TW, I'm equally upset, if not more, with the FO. They have a clear read on the situation and appear to again be misplaying their hand. TW needs to be traded but the FO's arrogance/ignorance has erased the opportunity at a beneficial resolution. Unless there has been talk behind closed doors that we're not aware of, which seems unlikely, this is an example of how a poor front office functions. Some make lemonade when given lemons, we just let them rot.

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I'm shocked that you are ignoring what is right in front of your eyes, that it's week 2, and still no sign of Trent Williams.  One of his friends and business partners, AP - says he's talked to him personally and no clue if he will ever be back.  DHall says he has talked to him personally and Trent is back home in Texas and hasn't done much talking with the team.  Those are actual facts that align with what LaCanfora was saying months ago.  

You can continue to ignore that and assume everyone is just lying for the sake of participating in the meanie media conspiracy against the poor Redskins all you wish.  But I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Trent Williams to speak out about what's going on. 

Lol not ignoring anything. Just pointing out the FACTS that there are constant conflicting reports from multiple sources and NONE of them are from the 2 parties.

Oh btw...you may want to read up on some of APs earlier comments.

So...once you give me an actual, FACTUAL report from TW or Bruce or Dan, then I'll believe the story 

30 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

How does this square with Hall saying Bruce said to Trent "Tell me who to fire and I'll fire them"?...Because to me, offering to fire people if it helps get him back definitely sounds like the team was being rather "forward" with him.

Depends on when that took place.  It became news that Trent wasn't showing up in May.  If they waited until say mid August to start offering to fire people, that merely smells like desperation vs. concern.  

2 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Lol not ignoring anything. Just pointing out the FACTS that there are constant conflicting reports from multiple sources and NONE of them are from the 2 parties.

What is conflicting?  and what does it matter?  You don't need reports, when you have the FACT right in front of your face that TW is not even in the region and it's week 2.

4 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Oh btw...you may want to read up on some of APs earlier comments.

I've read all of his comments, but I'm not sure why earlier comments would ever take precedence over the most recent comments. 🤣

4 minutes ago, Xameil said:

o...once you give me an actual, FACTUAL report from TW or Bruce or Dan, then I'll believe the story 

It's been clear for a while that you aren't going to believe Ashburn is a ****-show no matter what the reports, facts or results show you.  Again, the FACT is that Trent Williams is not here through the first 2 weeks of the season, leaving $650K per week on the table.  

55 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Being petty, I’m shocked.

Meanwhile the Redskins continue to lose games while their best player sits home. Bruce/Dan must have a serious strategy here or they're compromising the players, coaches and fans over his stubbornness to not trade the disgruntled player and get solid compensation for him. This can't be all Bruce, I imagine Dan has signed off on the position management has taken. 

The Redskins are my team for the past 50 years, but never have I been so disheartened and discouraged by their front office and coaching staff. First the stories about all the employees leaving, the stories about all of the fans leaving over the past several years, the consistent years of losing games and now the way they are treating their players. It's getting harder and harder to justify supporting this team when all the signs and circumstances add up to just more disappointment and frustration. At what point do the fans rally together and make the statement that we won't take it anymore? i know some of that's happened but we need to step it up and take it to another level before this promising group of young players become disgruntled or former Redskins. We have the power to take a stand.

*sigh*

So tell me Nostradomus...

Do you have proof that TW has been medically cleared from the surgery he had about 2 months ago?

My guess is no.

If hes not medically cleared he doesnt have to be in Washington D.C.

Really? You havent seen any conflicting reports? Are you that obtuse?

As.far as if I thin Ashburn is a **** show...you'll never know obviously. I have pointed out several times what I think of Ashburn, the FO, the coaching staff..asshat comes to mind that I post alot about.

But this thread isnt about me..its about everyone's speculation on why btw isnt here. Me personally, I dont play speculations...

6 minutes ago, Xameil said:

*sigh*

So tell me Nostradomus...

Do you have proof that TW has been medically cleared from the surgery he had about 2 months ago?

My guess is no.

If hes not medically cleared he doesnt have to be in Washington D.C.

Really? You havent seen any conflicting reports? Are you that obtuse?

I haven't seen one report that indicates anything about Trent not being medically cleared to play.  That and the "he's smoking dope and doesn't want to get tested" appear to be fan narratives.  

At this point, you are just willfully denying what is right in front of your face.  As if DHall is going to stake his newly founded claim to being a TV personality on making up conversations with Trent and just completely omit something like the dude can't even play football right now.  C'mon man, that is a huge stretch vs. dude is just unhappy and won't show up.

13 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

At what point do the fans rally together and make the statement that we won't take it anymore?

Never going to happen as fans are by definition, fanatical.  It takes a whole lot of willful ignorance to get behind the executive offices in Ashburn that are responsible for the team you see on Sunday.  There will always be some of them left.  But the sad part is it's turned many fanatics into just outright not really caring anymore, hence the empty seats.  This team is more just like a soap opera for me anymore, that I can't help but to follow along with.  I think it's that way for a lot of folks.  We all hope one day we'll get the passion back as I kind of miss being emotional on Sundays.

15 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Why would he hold out if he is not medically cleared to play?  He could just go on IR and collect checks.  

Archived