Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Owls0325

Minnesota does make sense. But at this point I think the FO needs to come out and basically say Trent is going to be coming back to play for us in 2020. And tell him and his agent to come out and say they'll play in DC in 2020. Even if it is a coordinated "hey just say this so that we can get you traded" ... but IDK if Trent would play that game. BUT. I would fully plan to bring him back in 2020 unless I get the right offer.

For me, I would want a 3 and a 5 at this point. But if Minnesota is insistent on not giving up their 3rd. I would ask for multiple 4s and 5s. They have a ton of picks.

As do the Patriots btw. I don't know if Bill would trade for Trent. But I could see him swooping in at the last minute with a solid offer. I just don;t want to give Trent away. I want to be in a position to find his replacement this year while also not sacrificing upgrading at TE and WR.

Getting two 4's would be ok. It would allow us to use 66 on an OT if one falls and is in the BPA range. And still have 4 picks in Round 4 to get WR and TE and some other depth and still basically go BPA.

23 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

And as frustrating as hell this saga has been, end of the day we bagged Chase ****ing Young and have the chance to net 2-3 more very good draft prospects.

Also got numerous options still available in FA, with a good level of cap space in reserve, to still improve.

It’s not all bad.....

I agree. I think we focus on surrounding Dwayne with weapons. And that includes upgrading along the OL too. If we can add a pair of 4's from Minnesota and it allows us to come away with 3, 4, 4, 4, 4, 5 ... I think there are enough picks in there to go BPA and still land some solid talent.

Hell, we could trade back from 66 too if enough guys are there that we like, and add a 4th that way too. Even if we don't trade TW and are able to trade back to mid 3rd and get a pair of 4's that way .. or a 4+5 .. might be worth exploring.

But if there's a stud there at 66 I am taking him. Wonder how this FO feels about the 3rd and 4th round OTs. We should draft an OT to compete at RT regardless ... but I wonder if the FO will shy away from drafting an OT until we move TW for leverage purposes, even if that OT is coming in to compete at RT, not LT.

A motivated TW playing in 2020 for a large 2021 contract is the best solution to all this. IF/When TW plays for the skins..there is NO WAY he would tank on the last year of his contract. Get real...Trent will play and play hard FOR THE SKINS if we don't trade him. And I would NOT trade him for less than a 2nd until the last day of the trade deadline.

Thats the way I would play it. It teaches players the skins roll over days are gone and we get the best tackle in the league playing hard for us in 2020

If RR starts winning..then who knows what will happen. Dumping TW just to get rid of him makes no sense

Trent has learned a lesson here no doubt. His inflated opinion of himself just took a BIG HIT

1 hour ago, SAli457180 said:

This is all on Bruce  for SCREWING this up last year.  Pats got a 4th for Gronk and he's still an elite talent at his position even at his age.  Skins better be prepared to take what they get if they get anything at all for Trent.

Trent has his share of the blame as well. And Skins dont need to give Trent away. He can play and get paid or sit out again. It is up to him.

16 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Reiff would be a salary dump for MIN in that type of deal and a body for us without Trent. The 3rd is the prize there. 

I don't think it makes any cap difference to the Vikings whether they trade Reiff or cut him.  Unless he's willing to take a pay cut, he's of no value to the Skins.  Paying him $22.5M over the next two years would be crazy.  Which means it's inevitable.

The Vikings still have options to get Jones early in round 2 or Cleveland in the middle of round 2.  They'll trade only if they can fleece us.  

For those of you who think we should just get rid of Trent for whatever  we get and end this saga here's how the GM for Jacksonville is handling his malcontent:

Yannick Ngakoue

Jaguars general manager Dave Caldwell said Thursday he hasn’t gotten a single offer from any team. “I think his options are very limited at this point in time,” Caldwell said, per ESPN. “We’ll welcome him back with open arms when he’s ready to come back, and we look forward to it. ... He is a tremendous player, tremendous person. He’s always been first class in everything he’s done here, in the locker room and through his time here, the first four years of his contract. Obviously he feels like things have not gone the way he wanted. In some aspects he may have a point, but we put our best foot forward not once but twice, and I hope he sees the light that Jacksonville is a good spot and it could at the end of the day be his only option.”

23 minutes ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

And I would NOT trade him for less than a 2nd until the last day of the trade deadline.

Trent has learned a lesson here no doubt. His inflated opinion of himself just took a BIG HIT

You would not take less than a 2nd. Your opinion of Trent seems to be as inflated and Trent's.  :)

The only way this thing resolves is to get Trent back on the field and play him.  Hopefully he cans his agent for giving bad advice then trade him before the deadline this year.

His value would be greater after showing he can play a few games this year and getting rid of his idiot agent.

2 minutes ago, Fat Stupid Loser said:

You would not take less than a 2nd. Your opinion of Trent seems to be as inflated and Trent's.  :)

If you think about it

1) Trent is a Top Talent

2) His last contract $$ is affordable

3) If you get the 8 mil in fines the #2 becomes obscene

4) He will be motivated by greed in 2021

5) We NEED a GOOD/Great LT to evaluate Haskins

6) Trent in OUR offense will make our run game click

If I were to gamble..I'd gamble on Trent producing better for us in terms of results and $$ than ANY value NOW for all other options

2 minutes ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

If you think about it

1) Trent is a Top Talent

2) His last contract $$ is affordable

3) If you get the 8 mil in fines the #2 becomes obscene

4) He will be motivated by greed in 2021

5) We NEED a GOOD/Great LT to evaluate Haskins

6) Trent in OUR offense will make our run game click

If I were to gamble..I'd gamble on Trent producing better for us in terms of results and $$ than ANY value NOW for all other options

I would agree. He is worth more playing for us than what we will get for him assuming greed will properly motivate him to play hard for us. Most likely he will just be bitter. Not sure bitterness is good motivation. Only a truly desperate team would give us a second.

2 hours ago, SAli457180 said:

This is all on Bruce  for SCREWING this up last year.  Pats got a 4th for Gronk and he's still an elite talent at his position even at his age.  Skins better be prepared to take what they get if they get anything at all for Trent.

Its not a sure thing that he’s still an elite talent...he battled lots of injuries towards the end of his career and has lost a TON of weight since retiring...and he’s only gotten older.  The odds are probably actually AGAINST him being elite for Tampa this year.

58 minutes ago, crabbypatty said:

No speculation on what the offer is though.. what are we talking about, a 4th? 5th?  Picks next year?

What do you guys think if someone offered us a 2nd or 3rd next year. Would you try to trade it to someone else for something this year?

Like say next year's third from minny, would you try to trade it for a 4th this year?

In an exchange with a fan on twitter weeks ago, Keim strongly hinted it was a 5th.  He suggested they haven't been offered a 4th yet.  

43 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Skins dont need to give Trent away. He can play and get paid or sit out again. It is up to him.

And he can't hold out in 2020 and not get paid AGAIN, and get totally rusty from laying off for 2 years at his age, right?

Couldn't they also threaten to toll his contract so he won't even become a free agent?

And wouldn't the skins get a compensation pick when he does go free agent whether he plays or not?

Trent is the one with the problem, not Wash. As RR said, "he still is under contract as a Redskin"...play or be screwed!

Do not give him away for nothing or release him.

Here's kind of my "best case scenario" for tonight and tomorrow. Minnesota throw us their compensatory 3rd and 4th for Trent. BTW, I went BPA (within Top 3 on Board)

1.2: Chase Young, Edge Ohio State

3.2: Ezra Cleveland, OT Boise State

3.41: Albert Okwuegbunam, TE Mizzou

4.2: K.J. Hill, WR Ohio State

4.26: Akeem Davis-Gaither, LB App. State

4.36: Tanner Muse, S Clemson

5.16: Troy Pride, Jr., CB Notre Dame

7.2: Trey Adams, OT Washington

7.15: Binjemin Victor, WR Ohio State

I think having 3 picks to go WR, TE, WR in R3 and R4 is crucial. Then having the draft capital to keep adding BPA (and in this case, defense). Before going back and double-dipping on offensive positions in R7 with high-upside guys. This is the sort of takeaways I would hope for.

58 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Trent has his share of the blame as well. And Skins dont need to give Trent away. He can play and get paid or sit out again. It is up to him.

Trent's part of it is his salary demands and it seems to be a huge problem.  I don't think it was that much of an issue last year unless the team wanted to extend him right away because otherwise you'd have him under contract for two years.  Now if you don't sign him -- its a one year rental so his contract demands is a much bigger deal than in 2019.

It looks like the perfect storm in a bad way as to waiting in 2020 versus doing this last year.  As most of us said in advance.  And you didn't have to be Nostradamus to see it coming.

A. One year left now on his contract versus two.  So either you get a deal done or you got a one year rental now.

B.  Competition in FA

C.  Competition in one of the best drafts in memory at LT

D. Trent being out of football for a full year plus

I know a person or two expressed here other teams were bluffing and of course they wanted Trent and that would likely unfold in the draft.  Well, clearly the Browns and the Jets weren't bluffing.  We will see with whomever is left, Minny?

I am hoping Minny feels a bit frisky and feels good about itself and decides what the heck lets go for the kill.  I think Jefferson and Gladney were great gets for them in round 1.  Go get the big boy, Trent now! 😀

4 minutes ago, nickel7168 said:

Trent is the one with the problem, not Wash. As RR said, "he still is under contract as a Redskin"...play or be screwed!

Do not give him away for nothing or release him.

Well, lets not sugar coat it the Redskins do have a problem in that they need a left tackle.  The best result (Pipe Dream) is somehow he ends up playing for us, plays as well as ever, turns out liking the new coaches/FO and extends.

5 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Here's kind of my "best case scenario" for tonight and tomorrow. Minnesota throw us their compensatory 3rd and 4th for Trent. BTW, I went BPA (within Top 3 on Board)

1.2: Chase Young, Edge Ohio State

3.2: Ezra Cleveland, OT Boise State

3.41: Albert Okwuegbunam, TE Mizzou

4.2: K.J. Hill, WR Ohio State

4.26: Akeem Davis-Gaither, LB App. State

4.36: Tanner Muse, S Clemson

5.16: Troy Pride, Jr., CB Notre Dame

7.2: Trey Adams, OT Washington

7.15: Binjemin Victor, WR Ohio State

I think having 3 picks to go WR, TE, WR in R3 and R4 is crucial. Then having the draft capital to keep adding BPA (and in this case, defense). Before going back and double-dipping on offensive positions in R7 with high-upside guys. This is the sort of takeaways I would hope for.

I don't think we get that much.  If Minny gave us their last 3rd and 7th, I be happy to part with TW and move on.  

I generally like Keim but he's been oddly defensive on the Trent trade value drill.  Multiple reporters including national ones have said they had a first rounder on the table last year.  But lets play the more pessimistic card which were Standig and Keim who both swear they never got an offer of the first.  They both acceded that they were offered though a 2nd rounder in 2019.

Keim is saying nowhere close.  I'd presume he's racing to 2020 on that point.  Because he flat out said in 2019 they were offered a 2nd albeit that 2nd not being from the Browns.   Standig if I recall even printed it in the Athletic about the 2nd round offer in 2019.  They both go nuts on the point because so many challenge them on it. 😀

10 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I don't think we get that much.  If Minny gave us their last 3rd and 7th, I be happy to part with TW and move on.  

At this point, me too. I waffled on this.  Months ago, I said i'd hold out and even make him play in 2020.  I changed my mind. 

If I am going with the typical rap on this from the local guys, we'd be lucky to get a 3rd let alone a 3rd and change so if someone offered a 3rd and change I'd take it. 

You can't IMO have this soap opera overhang the season.  

Archived