Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

I would say it’s probably a 75 to 80% that we get nothing for him this year and nothing for him next year.

Maybe someone gets injured in training camp or early in the season and is desperate. That is probably the best one can hope for.

People think he comes back and viola, pro bowl. I personally think, he will have his worst season and that will hurt his value more.

6 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

@sportjunkie07 inclined to agree here. There are still some OTs left that could start Day 1 ... albeit probably not at elite levels.

LA Chargers - maybe, but we haven't heard of any real rumor of them having genuine interest unless am forgetting it.  I know media fans say they should be. 

Denver - Could see them trading for Trent but it doesn't really fit their "young reload"  

Minnesota - probably most logical. tons of picks as capital, win-now mode. Agree.  But they might use those picks to trade up for a cheaper, younger LT. 

Seattle - could see the fit here, true upgrade at LT, Russ would love him. They have the picks, went ILB over OT prospects in R1.  I could see them.

New England - bit of a sleeper, but you never know with Bill.  Supposedly he was turned off last summer by Trent's contract demands

Arizona - not sure it's a great fit. They have Fluker but could flip him to RT and put TW at LT.  they signed Humphries at LT for big money already

Miami - I know they drafted Austin Jackson and can pencil him at RT.  But TW at LT with Jackson at RT is nice for Tua. Maybe but doesn't fit their rebuild efforts getting younger

My 2 cents on those teams. 😀

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Not me.  If he's 100% I agree.  But the 32 year old version of himself recovering from cancer and other injuries from previous years and hasn't played in a year -- I don't think that's Trent in his prime so I'd be hesitant to pay him crazy money. 

he didnt have cancer.... unless stupidity is considered a cancer

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, Die Hard said:

None of us truly has an idea of what the hell is going on. But how could we? It’s truly a unique circumstance with little to no precedent. And so many of us are struggling simply with sitting in this uncertainty (unknown)... we just can’t tolerate it... that we just want it to be over with. They’ll even tolerate a loss (of value).

As an unbiased observer.... I’m fascinated by this scenario. Game of chicken. Is Trent really willing to retire? If he’s willing to - rather than blame him.... isn’t there a part of all of us that can respect sticking to your guns (principle)?

However, as a franchise, there has to be some boundaries enforced, otherwise, players (employees) are going to completely walk all over you in the future. You don’t like your contract? Pitch a fit. That’s a difficult precedent to set too.

I keep going back to the movie Wall Street where Bud Fox puts the screws to Gordon Gecco and tells him on the phone "you once told me never to get emotional Mr. Gecco, well don't, what are you going to do?"

This is where Trent has failed.....emotions, ego and bad advice are ruining his career and he's the one who has total control over his own future as a football player and in his NFL retirement. Just shut up, play out your contract and enter free agency....things have a way of working out when you follow the system.

2 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Yep ....

This completely disregards the fact that he will be the elephant in the room as long as he’s here... a ****ty, pissed off elephant. And no, a 5th rd 2022 comp pick (essentially a 6th) is a big difference from a 4th this year. I haven’t been optimistic about what we’ll receive in return, but I doubt we would only get one 4th. 

3 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I keep going back to the movie Wall Street where Bud Fox puts the screws to Gordon Gecco and tells him on the phone "you once told me never to get emotional Mr. Gecco, well don't, what are you going to do?"

This is where Trent has failed.....emotions, ego and bad advice are ruining his career and he's the one who has total control over his own future as a football player and in his NFL retirement. Just shut up, play out your contract and enter free agency....things have a way of working out when you follow the system.

Agreed. I truly wonder if TW knows he looks like an ass and his agent has royally screwed him... or if he knows this and just doesn’t give a ****.

10 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

@sportjunkie07 inclined to agree here. There are still some OTs left that could start Day 1 ... albeit probably not at elite levels.

LA Chargers - need OT pretty badly and traded up in R1 and probably can't land a true Day 1 starter that would make them feel good protecting Herbert

Denver - they loaded up on Jeudy and still have needs at CB and OT. Could see them trading for Trent but it doesn't really fit their "young reload"

Minnesota - probably most logical. tons of picks as capital, win-now mode. History with Kirk ... need an OT upgrade, but cap space concerns

Seattle - could see the fit here, true upgrade at LT, Russ would love him. They have the picks, went ILB over OT prospects in R1

New England - bit of a sleeper, but you never know with Bill. But I don't trust any trade with Bellicheck ... he always seems to win

Arizona - not sure it's a great fit. They have Fluker but could flip him to RT and put TW at LT. They do need an OT. Not sure about cap situation

Miami - I know they drafted Austin Jackson and can pencil him at RT. Davenport is replaceable although I hear theyre high on him. But TW at LT with Jackson at RT is nice for Tua. Have draft capital, and didn't have to trade any of it to move up.

And, keep in mind we just made a deal with Seattle for Dunbar so there's common negotiating ground there. I could see Seattle giving up a 2021 2nd round pick for Trent...Seattle has a way of finding ways to get deals done without breaking the bank. 

1 hour ago, D’Pablo said:

We don’t have to trade Trent. The CBA works against him if he sits out. He also will destroy his open market value after next season if he half asses the season or gets “injured.” I’d rather hold on to the best left tackle in the game for one more season against his will than seek to fill his shoes with a 2nd or 3rd rounder or past-their-prime free agent. I do not understand why so many are so eager to see a trade when the return will be so little. Are your feelings that hurt by hardball player negotiations? I hope Kyle doesn’t think like this.

I dont understand people wanting to keep a malcontent around like that's gonna work out well for anybody.  How does that fit into our new "culture"?  The team seems more than willing to part with him and not interested in "hardball".

1 minute ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I might be a homer, but how can people really compare Ezra to Trent.

Younger and much cheaper.  Doubtful they'll ever get the quality out of Ezra that they would with Trent but they'd likely get more games (health) and years out of him.

On 3/13/2020 at 5:53 PM, JSSkinz said:

Yep, the entire league has us bent over and I don't see it changing, we could try to unload him to a desperate team that loses their tackle during camp or before the season but that creates a nightmare for us when it comes to planning for the regular season and understanding who our starting O lineman are.

This may end up being our best option, there will be another draft next year, I hope we don't get impulsive and take low rounders if we have an opportunity to add better picks to next years draft.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, CTskin said:

This completely disregards the fact that he will be the elephant in the room as long as he’s here... a ****ty, pissed off elephant. And no, a 5th rd 2022 comp pick (essentially a 6th) is a big difference from a 4th this year. I haven’t been optimistic about what we’ll receive in return, but I doubt we would only get one 4th. 

I still think it's best to move on. It should have never been Rivera's mess to rectify. 

Get what you can and let it go. Start building team unity and don't let the folks that dont want to be here muddy the waters. In the long run, that will prove more valuable than the miniscule compensation (even at the high end) that we could hope to get back

1 minute ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I still think it's best to move on. It should have never been Rivera's mess to rectify. 

Get what you can and let it go. Start building team unity and don't let the folks that dont want to be here muddy the waters. In the long run, that will prove more valuable than the miniscule compensation (even at the high end) that we could hope to get back

I tend to agree with you. But there is real value in protecting Haskins blind side this season. The question is what is it going to take for the Skins to give that up?

• Thanks 2

I wouldn't want to take the risk of having TW in the locker room this year unless I was absolutely convinced that he was totally on board. Otherwise, take what you can get and build the culture that we need.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, CTskin said:

Pissed off? Maybe. But he still NEEDS to be on the field and productive if he wants to be traded or get his worth when he becomes a free agent. Productive on the field and in the locker room.

What do you think happens to his free agency or trade value if he's not on the field? What happens to it if he's benched by RR because of his behavior as a "****ty pissed off elephant" and the distraction it causes.

Skins are in control here. Not Trent!

• Thanks 1

Take a 4th and possibly more if we can get it. Then, take the money saved from trading TW and put some of that money into a 1 year deal for Jason Peters to protect Haskins.  If a quality Left OT(Ezra Cleveland, Charles from LSU) is available draft him with our 3rd rounder and move on.  Best we can do with TW who will be a headache on this team is get a 5th round comp. pick IF he stays healthy and plays well.  Chances of that happening are...….

Edited by RWJ
1 minute ago, dswerdlw said:

I wouldn't want to take the risk of having TW in the locker room this year unless I was absolutely convinced that he was totally on board. Otherwise, take what you can get and build the culture that we need.

He cant afford to be a distraction. In what will be most likely his last pay day, he will not only have to be productive on the field but productive in the locker room.

Skins and RR hold the cards.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I dont understand people wanting to keep a malcontent around like that's gonna work out well for anybody.  How does that fit into our new "culture"?  The team seems more than willing to part with him and not interested in "hardball".

keeping him and expecting him to play is not hardball.  Last year, was hardball.  And if he's going to be a free agent next year he doesn't want to be a total cancer

• Thanks 2

One thing to keep in mind when looking at the doom/gloom Trent situation: absent something health related (and I don't believe there is anything wrong with him at this time), Trent right now is better than any player a team can pick at this point in the draft, and he probably right now is higher than most of their ceilings.  

We forget because of the drama, Trent is a top 5 Tackle in the NFL.  Is he the best?  Probably not.  But he's damn good.

So I still think some team is going to want to get the best player they can get, and that's Trent.  Truthfully, that statement was probably true yesterday at the beginning of the draft.  MAYBE one of these tackles gets to Trent's level. But there is no guarantee about that.  

6 minutes ago, dswerdlw said:

This, @clskinsfan. Sure, there is value, but we are becoming a younger team. You just dont want a guy like TW (who guys will naturally follow) that has one foot in the door. We've been down this road one too many times

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, LightningBuggs said:

Younger and much cheaper.  Doubtful they'll ever get the quality out of Ezra that they would with Trent but they'd likely get more games (health) and years out of him.

But having Ezra out in there in the playoffs against San Francisco could cost them big and a chance at a Superbowl.They need to win now. When a team  is in this situation an elite LT could be the difference between Superbowl or playoff loss.You dont want Ezra going against Bosa and company.

• Thanks 2
52 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've read in a few places that the Vikings want to use their picks to trade up.  If they do so for Ezra or Jones we are likely screwed.  Last night almost everything that could go wrong did go wrong as for Trent sans the Vikings.  

I disagree. Everything went how I had anticipated regarding OL. 5 tackles and 1 center. The only real monkey wrench was LAC trading up for Murray. 

Cleveland

Prince Tega

Niang

Jones 

Those are the only tackles left that are 2nd round worthy imo. There are still multiple teams that need OL help:

Cincinnati

LAC

Chicago

Denver

Minnesota

Seattle

LAM

Arizona

Jax

Min is not going to pay 13 mil for 2 seasons of a guy they don’t want. They will have to release their LT for cap space. We are still in position to trade. 

Edited by Skin'emAlive
15 minutes ago, NYSkins21 said:

He cant afford to be a distraction. In what will be most likely his last pay day, he will not only have to be productive on the field but productive in the locker room.

Skins and RR hold the cards.

I wish I shared your optimism. TW sat out last year to his own detriment and I don’t see why he wouldn’t do it again. We literally removed the complete staff that he could have had a problem with and he immediately burned the bridges with the new regime. (Which makes me think his beef has to be with Snyder for not having his back vs BA, but that’s another conversation). 

he doesn’t have to do anything. Everyone knows he’s a stud when healthy and he will fetch big money if he hits FA. If anything, sitting out two years could be viewed as a positive to get his health back and possibly get another few years on the back end. 

the redskins are holding a 2, 7 offsuit and the whole table knows it.

Edited by CTskin
  • Like 1
29 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

... how can people really compare Ezra to Trent?

he's better than ezra ...

• Haha 2
  • TK locked this topic