Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Owls0325

One thing I don't understand: After the cancer scare and the godawful mismanagement by the medical staff, Trent obviously lost trust in the organization. Why then would he ask for a contract extension after his diagnoses/treatment? You'd think he would instantly want off the team instead of asking for an extension. I understand after going through a medical scare, and with little remaining guaranteed money, that he'd absolutely want some financial security. I just don't understand why he didn't immediately want off this team, and why things only got nasty going into the summer after his contract extension request was denied. Was he planning on playing for the team despite the scare, but then Allen started leaking **** to the media to slander him, which caused him to finally want out?

I definitely don't think it's all about money, but I'm not sure why he would even ask if he was that upset with the team to begin with.

2 hours ago, skinzplay said:

I'm not sure what those quotes prove or disprove there, @Califan007. Hall is free to say whatever he wants. It does not mean that what he's conveying is accurate. The "maybe so" bit is what many will (and did) take and make the situation to be about money. It's not and never has been.

Seriously? lol....

You are basically saying I should believe you over Deangelo Hall's quotes about talking directly to Trent. Give me one good reason why I shouldn't take Hall at his word on whether or not he spoke to Trent.

5 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

You couldn't be more wrong here. @Califan007 is hardly a Bruce worshipper.

That's the only way he knows how to communicate lol...

For some reason, I take up residence in the heads of a few ESers here. Surprised Peregrine hasn't asked me to pay half his utilities yet.

7 minutes ago, megared said:

Don't agree on the 'dragging through the mud' part.  He said he lost trust in the organization, while crediting Dan.  I didn't see anything in there as egregious, or otherwise disrespectful.  

As far as the money goes, put yourself in their shoes:  would you rather be Earl Thomas on a stretcher in the last year of your contract (although he did get paid), or have the Alex Smith retirement package?  If anybody is deserving of the royal rehab treatment, it's probably him.  I don't see anyone here blaming Alex's greed for the fact that we're looking at paying him for 3 years of work, for 10 games.  

I don't think it's any one, or even two factors.  I think it's a confluence of everything he's been a part of while he's been here.  It's his agent's job to make sure he's not playing on an non-guaranteed contract.  Had he gone down in training camp, or preseason, they could've voided his contract with little to no heartache.  Maybe he didn't want to see himself get treated like that defensive captain we had last season (M. Foster).  

I'd say that accusations of malpractice by the teams medical staff and painting the picture that you almost lost your life due to the teams medical staff mishandling your medical situation is pretty serious.  And while he didn't bad mouth anyone during the ordeal, those accusations were damaging enough.  Enough for the Redskins to request a independent review to clear their names of any wrong doing, which he shut down immediately, then continued to accuse the team of trying to make him look bad.  That's how he "drug the team through the mud", so to speak.

I am 100% fine with TW asking to redo his contract, get an extension, etc.  And the team said no.  But he did sign a contract where there was no guaranteed money at the end of it, so there is that.  Alex Smith's situation has nothing to do with TW's situation, completely different.  Alex got a severe injury in an actual game and wants to play again, not sure that makes him greedy.  TW wanted more money and when he didn't get it, held out and demanded a trade (basically).  

Again, I'm fine for him or his agent asking for guaranteed money (via extension or contract restructure).  Given TW has had two strikes with suspensions for substance abuse, and being injured in some capacity missing games consistently since 2013 (last season he played in all 16 games), and being 31 years old, it's easy to see why they wouldn't restructure said contract or offer him an extension.  I just can't feel sorry for TW (or any player for that matter) that has made roughly $95 million dollars total at this point in their career.

7 minutes ago, megared said:

Said it a couple of times before, but of what benefit would an independent review be to Trent?  If he 'wins', Allen could come out and quadruple (are we at 4 yet?) down, refusing to trade him in the offseason, and drag this into next season.  Or it could further reduce his value to other teams, and give Bruce an out from trading him.  Or it could reduce the number of suitors he'd have for his services...or reduce his next contract's size, guarantees, etc.  

I don't think that you're realizing that a lot of games have been played by both sides.  The Redskins' FO certainly knew in June that Trent had a cancerous growth on his head removed, and they knew he needed more surgery to clean it up cosmetically (which he had done June 13th). 

Instead of saying that he's not well enough to practice (which he probably wasn't at that time) they turned it immediately into a power struggle over the contract.  They had time to negotiate a way out of this mess for a while, before the media and public would have even known an issue existed.  

There's no precedent to be set.  No other player on our roster has the credentials, current value, as well as probably money saved to be able to pull this off.   

The story is, Allen doesn't have a grasp on the value of the assets he deals with.  Third time, he's let a guy walk for little to nothing, for pride related purposes (Kirk, DJ).  The game's changing.  Like it or hate it, you have to be able to adapt in order to deliver value out of these situations.  

"Sending a message" is gonna be a hell of a consolation prize when we wonder why a largely talentless team is only capable of occasionally competing for the foreseeable future.   

There is no benefit for TW to agree for the independent review because he knows the Redskins would be cleared of any wrong doing and it would hurt his trade value and future earnings.  That is the most logical and obvious reason for requesting the NFLPA to not review his medical records on the handling of his growth.  I honestly believe there is no way the team requests the review if they thought there was any chance of being found guilty of any wrong doing and that TW knows that too and would be found guilty of lying.  

So you're blaming the team for this entire mess because they did not give into his request to restructure/extend TW's contract?  Cause, let's just give in to every player that wants their contract restructured so they don't fabricate [insert reason here] because they are upset about not having guaranteed money and decide to hold out.  That sets horrible precedents. 

Again, I'd have been fine with trading TW right after his hold out started and setting the team up in future drafts, that's the only thing the team did wrong imo, but again, I understand them taking a firm stance, considering the accusations of malpractice from TW.  How would that have looked if they traded him?  All other reasons aside (in regards to this **** show of a team), would you want to play somewhere where it appeared that the team's medical staff completely botched a cancer scare?  They trade him after accusations like that, it gives the appearance of admitting guilt and wrong doing and that they traded him to shut him up.

Nobody wants Bruce out more than I do, but given the path that TW chose to take this, but I can understand taking the firm stance and trying to clear the medical staffs name instead of giving in.  It would be different if TW just came right out and said it was about the non-guaranteed money on his contract and he wanted a restructure/extension or to be traded to another team and that he's holding out until one of those three things is done.  

But he didn't do that did he?  And here we are.  

2 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

You couldn't be more wrong here. @Califan007 is hardly a Bruce worshipper.

Hahahaha, tell you what, at the point that over 90% of his posts arent in fervent defense of Bruce, you can start to make a case. 

I also think you might want to re-look up the actual meaning of "you couldnt be more wrong" before you use it next time.

I see a player willing to surrender 13 million dollars not to play another down for the Redskins.  I see a team acting to make certain he loses every cent of that money rather than trading him.  

What I don’t see is how any of this helps the redskins.

Gotta quote it (hope the filter works lol)

"Like I said, if there was a prize in the end, or if there was a judgment that could reverse some of the rulings and some of the things that happened, then yeah. I mean, ****, I'd be first in line. It would be already done. But right when I was about to do the investigation, I asked, 'What is this for? Is this gonna help me as for as any type of grievance or legal action?' They said no. I was like what's the point of doing this ****? They told me the point in doing it is to let the Redskins have a better understanding of where they messed up, if they messed up. I just didn't give a damn whether they had an understanding or not. ****, I know for a fact that they've been told where they ****ed up at."

https://thefandc.radio.com/trent-williams-opens-up-no-reason-to-stay-silent-anymore

32 minutes ago, wunderhill said:

My take on hearing Trent's version is that none of this would have been an issue if the skins just gave him more money. 

But it's not about the money............And then he says if they just traded him that he would have kept his mouth shut about it all............

TW is all over the place and imo, making himself look worse.  He dug himself into this hole and his attempts to continue to talk is just making it deeper.  

30 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Wow, its about to get real Redskiny here this week.

For all of you that see a guy who had a softball sized chunk taken out of his head and almost died, and STILL want to say hes just grabbing for money, you are absolutely disgusting and you deserve every ounce of Bruce and Dan.

He said he wanted guaranteed money and asked the team for that.  Team said no.  It's absolutely about the money.  I'm sorry TW had cancer and came close to losing his life.  But that doesn't mean that the team should do what he asks and restructure his contract or give him an extension or trade him to a team, etc. 

You don't find it disgusting that he appears to have used that cancer scare to force the team to trade him because they didn't give into his demands?  I find it very disturbing to be honest.  

19 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

I'd say that accusations of malpractice by the teams medical staff and painting the picture that you almost lost your life due to the teams medical staff mishandling your medical situation is pretty serious.  And while he didn't bad mouth anyone during the ordeal, those accusations were damaging enough.  Enough for the Redskins to request a independent review to clear their names of any wrong doing, which he shut down immediately, then continued to accuse the team of trying to make him look bad.  That's how he "drug the team through the mud", so to speak.

In this context 'dragging through the mud' would be something more along the lines of Trent publicly telling other guys not to come here.  Or actually criticizing Allen.  At this point, he's just giving his perspective...and a lot of it appears to be colored by frustration around the leaks to the media from the team.    

I am 100% fine with TW asking to redo his contract, get an extension, etc.  And the team said no.  But he did sign a contract where there was no guaranteed money at the end of it, so there is that.  Alex Smith's situation has nothing to do with TW's situation, completely different.  Alex got a severe injury in an actual game and wants to play again, not sure that makes him greedy.  TW wanted more money and when he didn't get it, held out and demanded a trade (basically).  

Again, I'm fine for him or his agent asking for guaranteed money (via extension or contract restructure).  Given TW has had two strikes with suspensions for substance abuse, and being injured in some capacity missing games consistently since 2013 (last season he played in all 16 games), and being 31 years old, it's easy to see why they wouldn't restructure said contract or offer him an extension.  I just can't feel sorry for TW (or any player for that matter) that has made roughly $95 million dollars total at this point in their career.

It's not about 'feeling sorry for'.  And if that's how the FO felt, they should've traded him before it became a standoff.  

There is no benefit for TW to agree for the independent review because he knows the Redskins would be cleared of any wrong doing and it would hurt his trade value and future earnings.  That is the most logical and obvious reason for requesting the NFLPA to not review his medical records on the handling of his growth.  I honestly believe there is no way the team requests the review if they thought there was any chance of being found guilty of any wrong doing and that TW knows that too and would be found guilty of lying.  

There's no 'found guilty' for Trent lol.  Either the team erred or they didn't.  The report isn't going to conclude "Trent is a big fat liar".  

So you're blaming the team for this entire mess because they did not give into his request to restructure/extend TW's contract?  Cause, let's just give in to every player that wants their contract restructured so they don't fabricate [insert reason here] because they are upset about not having guaranteed money and decide to hold out.  That sets horrible precedents. 

It's not every player.  Every player that tried this really has to ask "do I have the leverage TW did".  For 100% of them (on this roster) that's a hard no.  

Again, I'd have been fine with trading TW right after his hold out started and setting the team up in future drafts, that's the only thing the team did wrong imo, but again, I understand them taking a firm stance, considering the accusations of malpractice from TW.  How would that have looked if they traded him?  All other reasons aside (in regards to this **** show of a team), would you want to play somewhere where it appeared that the team's medical staff completely botched a cancer scare?  They trade him after accusations like that, it gives the appearance of admitting guilt and wrong doing and that they traded him to shut him up.

They could've traded him before the cancer scare ever became a story.  And maybe Trent would've alluded to wrongdoing by the Redskins.  But I doubt a new team is going to want him living in the past on that situation.  It appears you're more concerned with the optics around both parties actions than actual remediation.  Everybody would've been ecstatic with a Miami-esque level haul even if the team and TW were on great terms.  

Nobody wants Bruce out more than I do, but given the path that TW chose to take this, but I can understand taking the firm stance and trying to clear the medical staffs name instead of giving in.  It would be different if TW just came right out and said it was about the non-guaranteed money on his contract and he wanted a restructure/extension or to be traded to another team and that he's holding out until one of those three things is done.  

But he didn't do that did he?  And here we are.  

There's no clearing the medical staff on this.  It's become a pattern.  So we potentially find out they did or didn't legally do anything wrong in this instance.  What about some of the others?  It's a pattern of poor decision making that appears to center on the organization's priority of playing players. 

The stories may vary a little.  But the theme has been consistent.  

13 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

But it's not about the money............And then he says if they just traded him that he would have kept his mouth shut about it all............

TW is all over the place and imo, making himself look worse.  He dug himself into this hole and his attempts to continue to talk is just making it deeper.  

And that was after he asked them to guarantee his contract.

Cancer is a scary thing, and I'm glad Trent is ok, but I can't side with Trent on this one.  He was also accusing the Redskins of playing dirty at the same moment he was reporting the minute the trade deadline came and went.  He tried to manipulate and leverage his situation, it didn't work, now everyone involved loses.

I was hoping they traded him before the season, so now that we have to deal with more drama from a depreciating asset is so Redskiny. Shout out to @Peregrine for using that word, it's my favorite new favorite adjective.  It can easily be applied, and way too frequently.  

He's saying a lot for not wanting to go through it again or want an investigation. 

It sucks to sit here and think he's not being honest. 

If this Med staff is that awful, and most of us agree they should be replace regardless. Cooperate in an investigation. Do a solid for other players in that locker room. Be a leader and protect them. Maybe they haven't made $100M and being vocal could cost them a Vet minimum salary. 

• Adam Schefter
  • Field Yates
  •  

After placing offensive tackle Trent Williams on the non-football injury list, the Washington Redskins have elected not to pay his remaining $5.1 million base salary for the 2019 season, league sources tell ESPN.

This is a voluntary decision, within Washington's rights, but is not consistent with how other teams have operated. Other notable players on the NFI list this season have included Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul and Los Angeles Chargers offensive tackle Russell Okung, but each were paid roughly 35-40% of their salaries while unable to be on the field.

The Redskins opted for a different approach, choosing not to pay Williams for the remainder of this season after paying him last week when he returned to the team. Williams last week revealed a cancer diagnosis that played a part in his lengthy holdout and distrust of the Washington medical staff and organization.

The decision not to pay Williams is the latest chapter in a messy situation between the player and the team that will continue to play out this offseason. Williams, 31, has one year remaining on his contract after this season and was the object of teams' attention prior to the trade deadline.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28036330/sources-redskins-choose-not-pay-trent-williams-51m-salary

I’m sorry but I gotta believe Trent, Bruce Allen and Dan Snyder have given no one any reason to believe them. 

Harder and harder everyday to be a fan of this team...I honestly feel there is no way out, I got zero enjoyment out of watching the last game zero, but the worst is I didn’t even care. I used to get pissed if we would lose, and then absolutely exuberant if we won. Now it doesn’t even matter. Passion gone, and it would take a super bowl for it to comeback. 

Thank god for the Caps and Nats 

https://thefandc.radio.com/trent-williams-opens-up-no-reason-to-stay-silent-anymore

Interesting piece

At no point while the growth was on Williams' head did he ever think it was cancer or anything other than “a big-ass cyst.” He trusted the doctors who were telling him it was nothing to worry about, even if he was annoyed at its ugliness.

While he has declined to share pictures publicly, he did show them to a small group of reporters last week, and they are gruesome. The hole that was cut in Williams' head looked to be the size of a softball. He estimates 30 percent of his scalp was affected. After the surgery, doctors had to staple his head back closed. It looked exactly as bad as that sounds.

Williams made it clear that he’s ready to close the Washington chapter of his career. In his opinion, the story has long reached a point where moving on is best for all involved.

This organization has George Costanza's instincts. I am now hoping that Alex Smith gets a regular invite to the weekly Crown&Coors session with Dan/Bruce like he did after the Bears game, and he can give them Jerry's advice: 

"If every instinct you have is wrong, then the opposite would have to be right."

“I just want to go." Trent Williams

https://www.radio.com/thefandc/listen

there is no bottom for Bruce Allen

Pimping cheerleaders

slandering current and former employees with anonymous leaks

Suing fans

Sell old beer and peanuts

Name issue (no matter what side you are on, the team mishandled the debate)

Clown show.

Time to move on

12 minutes ago, Hdf561 said:

I’m sorry but I gotta believe Trent, Bruce Allen and Dan Snyder have given no one any reason to believe them. 

Harder and harder everyday to be a fan of this team...I honestly feel there is no way out, I got zero enjoyment out of watching the last game zero, but the worst is I didn’t even care. I used to get pissed if we would lose, and then absolutely exuberant if we won. Now it doesn’t even matter. Passion gone, and it would take a super bowl for it to comeback. 

Thank god for the Caps and Nats 

For me Trent lost the reason to believe them when he said the medical staff endangered his life, he didn't want any of them fired and recommended Penn come here. 

1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

Since the team isn’t paying him the rest of this year’s salary, does that carry over to next year’s cap or is his entire salary counted regardless?

Cap hit = cash paid.  Since we are stiffing him, we get to roll that unpaid money over to next year's cap.

If we are later forced to pay him for the rest of this season, we'll take a cap hit for it at that time.

There isn't a way to give a player money without it counting against the cap.  Unless you do it under the table, like the Patriots with Brady.

12 minutes ago, Boss_Hogg said:

“I just want to go." Trent Williams

https://www.radio.com/thefandc/listen

there is no bottom for Bruce Allen

Pimping cheerleaders

slandering current and former employees with anonymous leaks

Suing fans

Sell old beer and peanuts

Name issue (no matter what side you are on, the team mishandled the debate)

Clown show.

Time to move on

Agree with everything but one. How did the team mishandle the debate when that was the only thing they managed to win in recent memory?

Or was your point that it was the other side that lost it and not the team winning it????

Archived