Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Owls0325

Williams could absolutely return... to accrue a year and bring down his trade value and then get "injured". Imagine if he faked an injury, but the team went after him saying he was faking it... With Williams concerns for the medical staff already in play...

That would go horribly.

Just now, KDawg said:

Williams could absolutely return... to accrue a year and bring down his trade value and then get "injured". Imagine if he faked an injury, but the team went after him saying he was faking it... With Williams concerns for the medical staff already in play...

That would go horribly.

if they could prove he was faking it then they'd destroy his claims

7 minutes ago, carex said:

And if Green Bay puts the franchise or transition tag on him?  Combined with the fact the rules for next year mean his salary can only be raised by 30%

Maybe but he's not the only FA next year.  Players also get cut for cap reasons.  FA is dead right now in season.  The difference between in season opportunities to upgrade a roster and off season opportunities are night and day.

If people are looking for an angle to defend Bruce, again I am guessing he sees it as a win win, you still get a pick and you still punish Trent.  

I think Bruce can be dense but not that dense as to thinking the market is the same in the off season version in season.   So I think his angle is selling a win win even if the pick isn't as high.  And I do suspect he's right (if he keeps telling Dan as the WP among others keep saying) that Trent eventually relents and comes back.  I doubt Trent lets it go past week 10 so if that's what he's telling Dan then he likely is vindicated eventually.  

We've done trades in the past with the Broncos and they are currently searching for DB help. They could use both TW and Norman...

Cleveland could use TW

Pats could use TW

Chiefs could definitely use TW

Raiders searching for OLB help.... they could use Kerrigan.

Colts also searching for OLB help

Packers could use Jordan Reed (though he's currently still out and probably not tradeable)

8 minutes ago, carex said:

if they could prove he was faking it then they'd destroy his claims

How do you prove someone is faking an injury, though? Without that person forgetting which leg they were faking, anyways? It’s a morality thing. And in this case I wouldn’t be surprised if morality didn’t matter to either party. 

I can’t really put myself in this situation because I try real hard to stay on the up and up with all of this and avoid this kind of thing.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd add that the market turns from nothing to pretty wide.   Also we got teams in the playoff hunt now, then no desperation on that front.   If you don't want one of the potentially stud LTs in the draft which would be weird considering not only do you get someone who can potentially play for the next 12 years but also get the dude on the cheap which would help the cap but  then you got FA tap into, too.  I'd take a guy like Bulaga in FA giving up nothing over Trent any day of the week. 

Bruce isn't the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to trades, he's right up there with Vinny as to the number of bad deals.  So IMO there is nothing about Bruce's instincts we should trust.  If it looks bad it probably is bad.   That's his track record.

Knowing his style, I would bet that he wouldn't even argue that they'd get the same in trade compensation in the off season.  I think his point would be yeah we'd probaby get less but we'd also make a point to Trent and any future hold out....

Bruce is probably right but I think Trent returns in week 10!  Yay!  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/10/09/trent-williamss-holdout-heads-into-sixth-week-with-little-hope-quick-ending/

One person with knowledge of the situation said Allen is responsible for managing the team’s response to Williams’s holdout and that he has convinced owner Daniel Snyder to let Williams miss enough paychecks that he will eventually return. The same person said Allen has refused to consider trading Williams, believing the team’s top offensive player will eventually return.

So happy that we have a GM with a 70's gameplan in almost 2020.

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

That would go horribly.

Could see it going even worse if Dan decides to triple down and not trade him in the off-season. 

Remember, Trent hasn't muttered one word publicly yet.  

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

That would go horribly.

I'd think faking injuries would be kind of easy to detect and prove...can't think of any injuries that can only be determined by what the player says, other than maybe concussions. Hamstrings can be detected, right? Milking an injury, sure...because there is at least a legit injury that can be medically detected. But I'd also have to think Trent does nothing but damage his value--both trade value and free agency value--by immediately getting injured once returning. Other clubs that wanted to trade for him might start thinking they dodged a bullet...that's never good to have in your corner.

The best thing for Trent would be to come back and not play because the team feels Penn is doing a good job and that Trent needs some time to get back into shape...which is what I would do in this situation if I were in charge. One, it keeps Trent healthy to keep his value high, and two, it sends a signal that we're not as wedded to Trent as people think if we are going with Penn as starter even with Trent back into the fold.

4 hours ago, KDawg said:

I get this point of view. Wait to trade him until you know what you're getting.

The other point of view, though, is the distraction Williams has caused since day 1. He has put a spotlight on this organization's failures (so I guess I'm grateful Allen hasn't traded him afterall). 

In the end, if Allen gets a decent first and some peripheral choices, then this situation played out "okay". Went on too long, and caused a major distraction but got a decent asset.

If he gets a third rounder for him, this will be another shining moment on Allen's record.

Agree, but not on the distraction part. The goal for trading Trent is to gain draft picks to build for the future, not to eliminate distractions now. This season is turning into a **** show no matter what, not seeing how removing the Trent distraction helps at all, honestly.

6 hours ago, KDawg said:

That would go horribly.

Don't put him on the field..have him be the guy with the gatoraide bottles  running on and off the field spraying into players mouths

10 minutes ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

Don't put him on the field..have him be the guy with the gatoraide bottles  running on and off the field spraying into players mouths

Could do that, but then Allen looks like more of a schmuck because he said Williams would be with the Skins and playing this season...

On 10/7/2019 at 7:33 PM, carex said:

and if they trade him at the start of the league year they'll know what draft pick or picks they're getting

You say this like it's a positive. Imo it's a clear negative as a win-now team who needs a LT badly this season might misjudge how their year goes and that 1st or 2nd rounder becomes a top-10 pick. 

Nobody is trading a KNOWN top-10 pick in the spring for a guy his age who hasn't played in a year. Hell, they might not even pay a 1st or 2nd in the off-season because they've lost an entire year of his dwindling career--they may prefer to just use that 1st or 2nd on a cheaper LT and gamble he's pretty good. 

Nothing about this is smart. 

just to remind anyone thinking, "free agency and the draft will make him less valuable" while that might be true somewhat this is an end of league year under the CBA. which means every team gets a franchise and a transition player tag. and there's a limit on how much of a pay raise you can give them.

1 hour ago, carex said:

just to remind anyone thinking, "free agency and the draft will make him less valuable" while that might be true somewhat this is an end of league year under the CBA. which means every team gets a franchise and a transition player tag. and there's a limit on how much of a pay raise you can give them.

Which has what to do with a player already under contract? 

7 hours ago, carex said:

Williams is under contract here in 2020 whatever happens. If he does report before the deadline it will be the last year of his deal here. 

At this point it’s just malpractice not to be shopping him to a team like the Browns who desperately need tackle help. Get a first from them and don’t look back.

See, I think Mark isn't exactly wrong there but he's also not right. 'Smart decisions' in my mind means they just aren't willing to pay the price tag (1st rounder +) in order to acquire one. (TW)  I'm sure they've sniffed around with his familiarity with TW but they also know he's getting up there in age. They would have loved a Laremy Tunsil but not at the ludicrous pricetag the Texans paid and no other (smart GM/Coach) would make...

2 hours ago, SemperFi Skins said:

See, I think Mark isn't exactly wrong there but he's also not right. 'Smart decisions' in my mind means they just aren't willing to pay the price tag (1st rounder +) in order to acquire one. (TW)  I'm sure they've sniffed around with his familiarity with TW but they also know he's getting up there in age. They would have loved a Laremy Tunsil but not at the ludicrous pricetag the Texans paid and no other (smart GM/Coach) would make...

This is exactly what I think when I hear Kyle saying "theres no smart decisions right now'

After watching Baker Mayfield's non-existent protection at left tackle the other night there is a potent, needy trading partner right there.  Also it brings me back to a segment this past summer on the NFL Network where these two ex-players were discussing the Brown's chances and one of the guys and I am paraphrasing  - "left tackle is going to be a big concern for them and it is going to become more obvious as the year goes on."

Essentially as we know this team is being screwed by two overly vindictive ass holes.  A GM does not get emotionally involved and just moves on if a player does not want to be here.  We have trading partners right now.  

The 2020 draft has sound LT's and damn the window of opportunity is closing IMO on getting a good return on Trent.   

Breer

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/10/10/dolphins-josh-rosen-redskins-dwayne-haskins-nfl-week-6?utm_campaign=sinow&xid=socialflow_twitter_si&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social

From Anthony (@a2low11): Is Trent Williams going to get traded? With the 49ers missing both tackles is he a realistic option?

Anthony, I still don’t think Trent Williams gets traded, but I’m not slamming the door on it yet. And if there’s one past situation I’d compare this one to, it’d be Carson Palmer in 2011. The Bengals weren’t entertaining trading him as a matter of principle—and I think this is a matter of principle for the Redskins, given the problem involves their medical team, too. When did Cincinnati back down? When Oakland blew them away with first- and second-rounders for Palmer. So I think the Redskins would have to be similarly blown away.

And I don’t think the Niners will swooping in with that sort of offer, even though Kyle Shanahan had Williams when he was Washington’s OC. If there’s a team that does it, I think it would have to be a New England or Cleveland, that would be in position to give him the job permanently. To give up what it’d take to get him, that would almost have to be the idea.

Archived