Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Impeachment Thread

No Excuses

Impeachment  

198 members have voted

1. 1. Should Donald Trump be impeached for obstruction of justice?

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

Also, I look forward to a possible President Burnie Sanders using the same rules set during all this mess to his advantage and ****ing the entire game up. Or better yet Pres. Scary Spanish Woman. They have indeed ****ed themselves with this one, assuming they ever lose power again. 

Trust me, no you dont.  I'm terrified of the idea of unlimited power going to someone likeable. We'll get used to it, then when someone like Trump shows up again, we'll have nothing to say when they weild unlimited power as well.

Again, the best thing the Dems can do is win in November and plug as many holes Trunp found as possible instead of taking advantage of them.  Democracy isnt done until the other half gives up on it, too.

20 minutes ago, Llevron said:

There are going to have to be alot of rule changes to save this country from itself. If Dems have the balls, they would use these knew precedents to do exactly that. Election interference for one party could easily become the end of the electoral college for another. And then voting for all citizens. And then a national holiday for voting. 

That right there ends the run for Republicans on the presidential level by itself. 

The rules are already there and will always be there but they're meaningless if there's no ability to enforce them or no concept of accountability. 

This country needs leadership.

Not laws or rules, and certainly not policy

071940.jpg

i won't say anything else, but i no longer have any faith in this country.

I have faith in plenty of our people, but our institutions that are supposed to protect our freedoms, and make this a nation of the people / for the people..  i can't see it anymore.

I hope I'm wrong.I hope in November that there is a fair election, and I hope the results are not manipulated.

But I have no faith. I think we are too many steps down the road. We entrusted the safekeeping of our ideals with the wrong people, and they will do what these sorts of people always have done.

~John

8 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Trust me, no you dont.  I'm terrified of the idea of unlimited power going to someone likeable. We'll get used to it, then when someone like Trump shows up again, we'll have nothing to say when they weild unlimited power as well.

Oh I do. Consequences be damned at this point. You cant actually believe the Repubs wont do the exact same thing next time given the opportunity. Of course they will. They have done exactly the worst thing possible every chance they have gotten. Regardless of what happens now, democracy or atleast its intent has successfully been subverted by a party that is willing and able to do whatever it takes to keep and obtain more power. The only way this can be stopped is by 1) the senators taking their oaths seriously 2) the people voting for these senators taking that responsibility seriously and holding them accountable or 3) someone using the same rules to play the game in their favor. 

We should all have the understanding that 1 and 2 are not happening. 

10 hours ago, visionary said:

Her actions have consequences.  But she only cares about the money she's making and what she'll make as a lobbyist or analyst after she loses in November.

Admiring the "I've decided I'm going to vote to acquit Donald Trump diverting government funds so he can extort campaign contributions, because I cannot vote for a side that makes distasteful comments towards people."  

2 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Oh I do. Consequences be damned at this point. You cant actually believe the Repubs wont do the exact same thing next time given the opportunity. Of course they will. They have done exactly the worst thing possible every chance they have gotten. Regardless of what happens now, democracy or atleast its intent has successfully been subverted by a party that is willing and able to do whatever it takes to keep and obtain more power. The only way this can be stopped is by 1) the senators taking their oaths seriously 2) the people voting for these senators taking that responsibility seriously and holding them accountable or 3) someone using the same rules to play the game in their favor. 

We should all have the understanding that 1 and 2 are not happening. 

That's not true, theres no reason to expect that from the GOP, theres every reason to expect that from the Dems.  If we keep saying the Dems should jus do what GOP is doing, theres no point I'd showing up in November.  We should kill this talking point as much as possible.

The election of Donald Trump should've been the signal that this country is done. 

This is 3+ years later.

The GOP Senators weren't going to volunteer to make themselves look worse for acquitting Trump. This is still the 24 hrs news cycle. You'd think people will hammer said Senators till next election for this, but it won't happen. Trump will certainly cry about the fake impeachment trial for the next 10+ months though. 

We allowed the gaps in our system to fester for too long, and someone malicious finally noticed and exploited them to the fullest extent.

Gerrymandering.  The Senate having tiny states with the same pull as the largest ones.  The electoral college being a mess bc of the two senate votes.

We have one last chance, assuming they don't rig it, to throw these people out and put some locks on the doors.

This is why Biden, who might not be at his fighting weight anymore, is still someone I appreciate and will support.  While Bernie and Warren are stating their plans to use their fresh powers to press changes, even for things I like, that will cement the King-Presidency.  Biden has said he'll try to pull the reins back a bit, which is exactly what we need right now.

But we also need a much more functional Senate, and I have no idea how we get to that.

5 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I feel you but its not going to get it the way we are currently set up. Obama was a great leader cut off at the knees by the GOP. And now they know how to do it.

That's a good point.

Maybe we're just fubar man. 

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

That's not true, theres no reason to expect that from the GOP, theres every reason to expect that from the Dems.  If we keep saying the Dems should jus do what GOP is doing, theres no point I'd showing up in November.  We should kill this talking point as much as possible.

I feel like a Dem Pres and a Dem senate playing by these rules is more than enough motivation to show up and vote personally. Sure there is always the chance that without any constitutional boundaries that whoever is President and the Dems at the time will go all GOP and just enrich themselves and destroy the planet. But I choose to shoot my shot at electing people with ultimate power who will choose to use that power to make the world more fair and not less. My fear being if we dont take this chance now, they GOP will finish the job next time they get the chance to. I would if I were them and my goal was to never lose power. I would ensure, for good, while the people will let me, that I never ever lose power again. And you know those ****ers would do it, too. 

I'm suggesting that we use this moment to our advantage and elect people who we can atleast hope will use the power the GOP is wielding for us, and close the loop when they are done. 

May not happen. But I know what will happen if we dont attempt. 

2 hours ago, Llevron said:

Also, I look forward to a possible President Burnie Sanders using the same rules set during all this mess to his advantage and ****ing the entire game up. Or better yet Pres. Scary Spanish Woman. They have indeed ****ed themselves with this one, assuming they ever lose power again. 

I'm thinking that, in a just world, President Liz makes a public announcement that she thinks it would be in the national interest if every American were to donate $20 to her reelection campaign.  

And then government paychecks don't go out.  

This is bigger than Donald Trump, this is about election integrity.  I would love to be a fly on the wall of these closed-door GOP meetings.  I imagine that they themselves are pretty amazed at what they have been able to get away with and manipulate half of the country into believing.   On the way to work today I flipped on the right-wing radio station and there were still callers saying "thank gawd this is over, he did nothing wrong"  This is opinion is still holding strong despite members of Trump's own legal team and some GOP senators admitting Trump is guilty of everything he has been accused of. 

Trump will ride off into the sunset in 2020 if we are lucky....2024 if we aren't, but there are going to be Presidents after him.  Presidents who are rising up the ranks right now.  They have basically been instructed that anything they do that they see as being in the public interest is okay.  That is the bill of goods we have just been sold. 

well today should be impactful

for the depressed, don't give in to a sense of uselessness or futility or the malicious morons win

of course i have dem candidates i like more than others, some dem candidates i'd not vote for under normal circumstances, and some i think have a better shot at winning,....but as many say, whoever they nominate i'll work my ass off for that side as i have been since trump looked like he was going to get the nomination and all i thought might occur indeed came to pass

it's kind of over for me to note positives re: the worth of the right wing of our political dodo bird (though elements of conservatism are of course worth preserving)

i've never registered/identified a dem, and certainly found that wing being more or less as prone to basic human traits like corruption or dishonesty, as well as just what i would call wacky, wasteful, and incompetent (and yes, even dangerous) with some policies

but my entire life i've had gopers denying what is clear to anyone with a competent brain---that the rigthwing demographic in general had way more malevolent/sick and ignorant/stupid underlying their core dogma/behaviors and in matters/ways i cannot be ok with

that yuge mass of diseased tissue they always denied, and many elected gopers and the money behind them actually nurtured under the covers, provides the fundamental support to what's making this cosmic-level **** show possible

it's just my emo/sentiment, but the vast majority of that population can't shuffle off this mortal coil too soon afaic

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Says someone who didn't even vote. 

I voted, though I know you consider voting 3rd party a non-vote.

I voted Dam in 2018 and will vote Dam in the fall before returning to my 3rd party ways in 2022. I firmly believe we need multiple viable parties as neither the GOP or the Dems represent most Americans.

I’m not sure this isn’t a win for the dems overall. GOP senators just proved they are the president’s beyotch. It’s embarrassing and the dems will keep pounding that message, which is an easy one for people to understand. I suspect it may be what Pelosi wanted all along. 

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

I'm suggesting that we use this moment to our advantage and elect people who we can atleast hope will use the power the GOP is wielding for us, and close the loop when they are done. 

May not happen. But I know what will happen if we dont attempt. 

There are some conservatives that have jumped ship because they see the GOP wants to give the executive branch unlimited power.  You can kiss those voters good-bye if the Dems say the same thing with "trust us, we gonna do it for the right reasons".  Dems know this and why they arent running with the narrative, they've saying in the impeachment trial the dangers of Congress not being able to check the President no matter who they are, if the rules dont matter, we are lost.

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

There are some conservatives that have jumped ship because they see the GOP wants to give the executive branch unlimited power.  You can kiss those voters good-bye if the Dems say the same thing with "trust us, we gonna do it for the right reasons".  Dems know this and why they arent running with the narrative, they've saying in the impeachment trial the dangers of Congress not being able to check the President no matter who they are, if the rules dont matter, we are lost.

They already dont matter. They are effectively a democratic handicap. 

https://politics.theonion.com/joni-ernst-insists-she-hasn-t-seen-any-impeachment-evid-1841313516

Suggesting that she was likely to vote to acquit, Sen. Joni Ernst (R-IA) told reporters Tuesday that she still hadn’t seen any evidence in the impeachment process that had changed her self-serving political calculus. “I’ve kept an open mind from the beginning, but nothing I have seen thus far has altered the fundamental nature of my reelection prospects in my home state,” said Ernst, adding that while some of the president’s actions have been questionable, she didn’t believe they had risen to a level that would harm her standing amongst conservative Iowa voters. “Though they’ve had plenty of opportunities, Democrats have failed to make a persuasive case that Trump’s behavior would lead to my constituents abandoning me en masse, and unless I see some arguments of that nature soon, I think my mind is made up.” Ernst added that she took this responsibility seriously as she had given a sacred oath to consolidate her grip on power by whatever means necessary.

3 hours ago, visionary said:

I don't see what else the Dems could have done that would have made a difference.  I had hoped they would have gone after Trump on the Russia investigation too, but they would likely have made people even less interested and made things even more complicated.   This was always going to be the outcome and Americans either can't do anything to change that, or don't care enough to do so.  If things continue in this way, it will be'interesting' to see if everyone who can't be bothered to give a damn now, feels the same when it starts to come back on them (assuming it isn't already), or if this frog is going to sing a happy tune all the while it goes from pot to plate.

As far to to ultimate outcome, Trump was going to be acquitted regardless. Still, just having this drag out over the year; would've help the Dems. The would've been seen as trying to get the truth. Trump would be looking as hiding something. It would've hurt him in the general election.

Archived