Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

3 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

I second this and hope for it. Looks like board consensus on Thomas is that he is good, but not too 5 good. I’d prefer they take that to taking Jeudy or Okudah. 

Where do you think Jeudy goes? I wouldn’t pass on chase, but I wish I could see Jeudy playing across from McLaurin. I hope Jeudy winds up on a team I don’t hate, so I can root for him. 

Looks like he may slide, doesn’t it? Our ES favorite may fall to the Jets if nobody moves up. The draft board didn’t fall all that well for him, or so it doesn’t seem at the moment. The Jags at 9 are a possibility. I’ve seen some talk of Detroit taking him, but they look solid in few places, one of those places being WR. 🤔

8 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Freak

The guy is absolutely ridiculous.

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

Disagree with all of this stuff about Tua falling. I think Miami is his floor. There is obviously risk there, but he’s played like a top 3 draft pick for 2 years. 

volsmet, Who do you like on OL this year that may be in our range? If we resign Scherff and flowers, we should be pretty flush in the interior OL, but even if Trent resigns, we could use reinforcements at tackle. 

I’d be happy if we took Tua at #2.

I would love to see Adams fall to us, he hasn’t looked the same since he got banged up, but it can take guts his size a bit longer to get back to 100%. He was a legit top 15 prospect v Bama, he made light work of our guy Anderson ... which may not seem as impressive today, but Anderson was a nasty player for the Tide. There are so many intriguing talents at OT this year, I can’t wait for the Sr bowl.

4 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Looks like he may slide, doesn’t it? Our ES favorite may fall to the Jets if nobody moves up. The draft board didn’t fall all that well for him, or so it doesn’t seem at the moment. The Jags at 9 are a possibility. I’ve seen some talk of Detroit taking him, but they look solid in few places, one of those places being WR. 🤔

OT and WR both seem to have slid a bit. Still a loaded class at both positions but it seems that for some reason the top guys at those positions have lost their top 5 grades. Just a month or two ago Jeudy and Thomas were on most mocks as top 5, now they're mostly top 10, though I've seen Thomas sliding out of the top 10 as well. Not sure if that has anything to do with them or just the insane ability and play of some of the defenders in the class (Young, Simmons, Okudah) as well as rising stock of other guys (Wills, Lamb).

2 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

im not sure what I think of Jalen Reagor. His speed looks less impressive than advertised, at least to my eye. I’d start to consider him at the top of the 4th maybe. 

I don't like him at all.  I don't think I've ever seen a wide receiver less interested in the physical aspect of the game.  He's the type who likes hitting game winners but not winning games.

7 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I don't like him at all.  I don't think I've ever seen a wide receiver less interested in the physical aspect of the game.  He's the type who likes hitting game winners but not winning games.

My thought was that he's the type of dude some are going to love for the splash plays and the tools, but coaches are gonna be driven crazy and not in a good way. One of those falls into the mid rounds that seems inconceivable to some on draft weekend. 

3 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

My thought was that he's the type of dude some are going to love for the splash plays and the tools, but coaches are gonna be driven crazy and not in a good way. One of those falls into the mid rounds that seems inconceivable to some on draft weekend.  

He's the type that would poison a locker room.  I can't imagine him not getting his ass kicked by the Teddy Bruschis of the league.

On 1/6/2020 at 7:37 PM, stevemcqueen1 said:

No.  That is a pretty huge return for a defensive end prospect.  I feel like people are overrating both Young and the impact that a single player can have.  People all over the internet are turning him into this superhero that is orders of magnitude better than the other non-QBs in the class when his own teammate is almost as good as him.  Simmons is a freak too.  He starred in a national championship run and has a chance to do so again.  Jeudy and Lamb are also freaks.  These kids are incredibly good.

And this stuff like calling him a once in a decade pass rusher just doesn't reflect reality at all to me.  In the past five years we've gotten two Bosas and Myles Garrett and yeah he's better than them, but the difference isn't that huge.  Two years before Joey Bosa you had Clowney and Mack.  Three years before them you had Von Miller.  And that's only the obvious guys who went top five.  There are also a lot of awesome linemen who've come outside the top ten like the Watt brothers and Aaron Donald and Chandler Jones plus you've got gems who developed into All Pros like Shaq Barrett and Danielle Hunter and Frank Clark.

In college right now there is a freshman on Oregon who is already almost as good as Chase Young was as a sophomore.

But Chase Young wouldn't be the guy we're trading presumably.  The other team would most likely be moving up to draft Tua.  That's why I think we have a chance to pull in an RGIII-like haul.

In the bold has been my point. I don't see Young as better than Clowney, Bosa or Mack coming out of college. People on her are essentially sayiing "No I will not trade this $100 bill for $225 bux, its too crisp"

Miami wants to offer us 5, 18 and 37, I am definitely listening, especially if you are telling me I can get Okudah, Tee Higgins and  maybe someone like Dylan Moses falls to 37 because he is coming off an injury. No way I am passing up on three prospects like that for Young when all named all have the possibility of busting.

Then round three really go BPA and take Damien Harris at RB or OT. That would actually be my dream draft

I just hope Chase Young is wired the right way, because there will be high expectations and a lot of pressure on him. Wherever he goes. 

Personally Simmons speaks more to me but I'm not sure if his impact can match that of Young. It's easier to work with a decent lb/s when having an great pass rush VS work with decent pass rush and great lb/s.

Cincinnati needs a talent infusion, both on the field and in the coaches' offices. There will probably be a huge temptation to amass picks to build that squad instead of using that #1 (which they certainly worked hard to earn) on Burrow. i'm not convinced that the team has the coaching staff in place to either develop Burrow or best utilize Young's skillset. There's gonna have to be some serious changes there before the draft to put them in a position to most effectively use the talent that they acquire (and also those quality players they currently have on the roster).

7 hours ago, volsmet said:

I’d be happy if we took Tua at #2.

I would love to see Adams fall to us, he hasn’t looked the same since he got banged up, but it can take guts his size a bit longer to get back to 100%. He was a legit top 15 prospect v Bama, he made light work of our guy Anderson ... which may not seem as impressive today, but Anderson was a nasty player for the Tide. There are so many intriguing talents at OT this year, I can’t wait for the Sr bowl.

Why Tua at 2 when this forum goes bonkers when the team draft players who have injury concerns?  I agree Tua is an excellent prospect but too risky due to the history of injuries being selected at number 2.   I love his game though.

5 hours ago, wilco_holland said:

I just hope Chase Young is wired the right way, because there will be high expectations and a lot of pressure on him. Wherever he goes. 

Personally Simmons speaks more to me but I'm not sure if his impact can match that of Young. It's easier to work with a decent lb/s when having an great pass rush VS work with decent pass rush and great lb/s.

I've never read anything but good things about his work ethic and study habits. He's apparently a student of the game, works very hard to get better, and is super competitive. He was a top 5 recruit in the nation coming out of high school which is a ton of pressure and he lived up to that. I doubt it will be much different at this level. The only thing I could say about him that I could see giving people a little pause is that when a play isn't close to him and he doesn't really have any chance of being involved he's not always going all out chasing it down. I don't really see it as an issue but some coaches who are sticklers for a guy always going 100% on every snap, even after it's out of their radar range, could potentially be a bit irked. Not enough to pass on a talent of his level though. 

3 hours ago, -JB- said:

What if the Bengals draft Chase Young #1 & the Skins are sitting there with teams looking to trade up for Burrow and they move down a few spots, get a bunch of picks, & draft Tua....

That would be ludicrous. Triple facepalm ludicrous. We have a young unproven QB in Haskins who showed some promise and very good improvement at the end of the season and we're going to draft another young QB who is currently rehabbing from a really bad injury and nobody knows if he'll ever be the same guy on the field? With all of the other holes we have? Yeah I don't see it. I think Rivera will want vets to challenge Haskins; I don't think he's looking to draft a QB. 

11 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Freak

Mom, I want one. Seriously though. I want one of these flying around behind Chase Young and Montez Sweat and our DT's. Imagine Foster at WILL and Simmons at SAM. 

I watched this expecting to mostly love Okudah, and he did look good, but Tee Higgins also won some matchups there. I loved Okudah in run support and he looks as good as advertised in pass coverage. Higgins also looked good however. Got separation underneath Okudah at least a couple of time. Caught a TD pass in a scramble drill situation while being manned up by Okudah. I wouldn't hesitate to draft Higgins in the early to mid teens. I think he's going to be under drafted. 

11 hours ago, mistertim said:

OT and WR both seem to have slid a bit. Still a loaded class at both positions but it seems that for some reason the top guys at those positions have lost their top 5 grades. Just a month or two ago Jeudy and Thomas were on most mocks as top 5, now they're mostly top 10, though I've seen Thomas sliding out of the top 10 as well. Not sure if that has anything to do with them or just the insane ability and play of some of the defenders in the class (Young, Simmons, Okudah) as well as rising stock of other guys (Wills, Lamb).

Depth at the positions may be why they fall a bit, the classes are loaded. Young, Simmons & Okudah are far more unique talents in this class, so they should go earlier. 

9 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Hopefully, this will be Sweat and Young one day.  I wish we could steal the Vikings DL coach.  Man...

One of the reasons I like Montez Sweat so much is the fact that Chuck Smith, former NFL DE who trains a lot of these young guys, says Sweat shows the fluidity necessary to best guys with moves like those — he just hasn’t played the game as long as some others & he was asked to play a fairly bland role at MSU. His arsenal is nonexistent today.

13 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Mom, I want one. Seriously though. I want one of these flying around behind Chase Young and Montez Sweat and our DT's. Imagine Foster at WILL and Simmons at SAM. 

Isaiah Simmons, the more I watch of him and Young, the more I prefer him.

I mean, I'm still not to the point where I think you pass on Young #2 if he's there. Edge is such an important position to get right and Young is so talented. I'm not sure I ever get to the point I am "okay" with passing on Young.

But I think I am to the point that Simmons passed Young on "my" board. (Which, LKB, is not an actual board. You got me, man.)

But I guess he hasn't if I wouldn't pass on Young for him. 

I just have such a hard time saying to pass on Young if he's in your lap. I like Simmons better, though. His versatility is tremendous.

9 hours ago, Skins199021 said:

In the bold has been my point. I don't see Young as better than Clowney, Bosa or Mack coming out of college. People on her are essentially sayiing "No I will not trade this $100 bill for $225 bux, its too crisp"

Miami wants to offer us 5, 18 and 37, I am definitely listening, especially if you are telling me I can get Okudah, Tee Higgins and  maybe someone like Dylan Moses falls to 37 because he is coming off an injury. No way I am passing up on three prospects like that for Young when all named all have the possibility of busting.

Then round three really go BPA and take Damien Harris at RB or OT. That would actually be my dream draft

I missed the post you quoted, but it seems my man @stevemcqueen1 stated that Young is better than all of the DE prospects of the last decade, but he’s not a once a decade prospect. 🤨

6 minutes ago, volsmet said:

One of the reasons I like Montez Sweat so much is the fact that Chuck Smith, former NFL DE who trains a lot of these young guys, says Sweat shows the fluidity necessary to best guys with moves like those — he just hasn’t played the game as long as some others & he was asked to play a fairly bland role at MSU. His arsenal is nonexistent today.

I think there are a lot of reasons to like Sweat. I think he can be an impact player against the run and the pass. I’m not sure he’ll ever be a 15 sack guy, but a 10-12 sack guy that can also play the run would be huge if we also have Chase Young. I also tend to trust Senior Bowl performances when guys stand out. 

You know who I think may really fall hard this year? Grant Delpit. I just saw a mock draft where he was taken in the back half of the first round. I could see him running a slower than expected 40 time and going later than that. Honestly, I’m not sure where I’d consider him a value pick for the skins. The idea of him trying to tackle Elliott or Barkley makes me nervous. I think he would be a value for us in the top of the 3rd, maybe. In the second, I think he’s still a risky pick. 

3 hours ago, arftech said:

Why Tua at 2 when this forum goes bonkers when the team draft players who have injury concerns?  I agree Tua is an excellent prospect but too risky due to the history of injuries being selected at number 2.   I love his game though.

The reaction of random ESers doesn’t matter to me, I’d understand their frustration with the pick, but if Tua is as special as I believe him to be, then the risk is well worth it. If I can get a guy as gifted as Tua, on a rookie contract, I’d be elated. 

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Isaiah Simmons, the more I watch of him and Young, the more I prefer him.

I mean, I'm still not to the point where I think you pass on Young #2 if he's there. Edge is such an important position to get right and Young is so talented. I'm not sure I ever get to the point I am "okay" with passing on Young.

But I think I am to the point that Simmons passed Young on "my" board. (Which, LKB, is not an actual board. You got me, man.)

But I guess he hasn't if I wouldn't pass on Young for him. 

I just have such a hard time saying to pass on Young if he's in your lap. I like Simmons better, though. His versatility is tremendous.

Simmons offers versatility, but Young limits responsibilities in those around him. As you know, obviously. 

Simmons is the guy I enjoy watching most, but if either Chase Young or Isaiah Simmons are going to end up on a team I play twice, I’d prefer that player be Simmons.  

Archived