Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Auburn-Tigers-cornerback-Noah-Igbinoghene-leaves-Auburn-declares-for-NFL-Draft-141558571/

Any idea where Noah Igbinhoghene goes? Converted WR with reportedly good measurables. Could he be our next Dunbar?

Also, I have seen some cut and paste posts about Josh Jones, but no real takes on him as a prospect. I wonder if he falls, whether he could be a target for us in a trade up scenario. Does anyone have a personal take on him as a prospect?

https://withthefirstpick.com/2019/12/20/2020-nfl-draft-houston-josh-jones-demands-respect/

On 5/13/2019 at 2:53 PM, volsmet said:

At RB I see Dobbins rated #1, I don’t know how he compares to Jacobs, but I do know I’d take Anthony McFarland ahead of just about every back in last years class & he’s not mentioned in several top 20’s, or any top 10s. 

What a time to be alive.

Heck, I'd take McFarland ahead of just about any back in THIS class.  

4 hours ago, KDawg said:

Not gonna lie, I am beyond amped for this game tonight. 

Get to see Simmons, Burrow, Etienne, Higgins, Delpit, Chasson, etc, etc,etc.

Lots of high round picks playing in this one. Should be fun.

My main rooting interest is for Burrow to kill it to solidify his place at #1.

I've gone back and forth on whether I like trading down or not.  Months back I said no way I'd trade down if I can get Young.  Then I thought maybe I would if I get a haul.  Now, i am leaning back again to not wanting to trade down.  I'd be open for business so I'd still take a deal if its an insane haul but otherwise I want Young at #2.  I think he will do wonders for this defense for reasons I've expressed a zillion times.  

On 1/11/2020 at 4:57 PM, Anselmheifer said:

People keep using Sean Taylor as a comp for Simmons and I don't think it’s a good one. Simmons may be a little taller/longer/faster. Sean was 6’3” and 230 but also has those super long arms. He put up a 4.51 which is solid for a player that size, but not crazy. Beyond that, I don’t think they are similar prospects. Sean may have been the Chase Young of his draft class.  

Simmons has 4 career collegiate interceptions. Sean Taylor had 10 in his last year of college. TEN. Show me a video of Simmons hitting a WR so ferociously that he windmills in the air. I’ll wait to see Simmons single cover a Randy Moss caliber receiver down the field and later have that receiver call Simmons the best competition he ever played against. Sean Taylor was a pure FS with preternatural instincts for the position and a super explosive hitter with the in game temperament of a Lawrence Taylor.  

Simmons is a great prospect, but if I’d compare him to a previous player, it might be Derrick Brooks on steroids. Or Brian Urlacher. Plug Simmons in at OLB in a 4-3 and he might have a HOF career in the mold of those guys. But he’s not going to hit and cover and intercept like Sean Taylor and he’s just not the same caliber prospect. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=1742045

Yeah this is a good way to frame it for me as to why although I love Simmons, its not super close to me between him and Young.  And that's no knock on Simmons its that I like Young that much.    I've watched a number of Simmon's games and in some of them, you don't really see him make plays.  I don't blame him for it, he's doing his job and trying to lock down the opponent's playmakers.  

I posted a clip here weeks back where I saw Simmons chase down a receiver about 30 years downfield and for a dude that size, its very impressive. Clemson seemed to use him in coverage a lot, or at least they did in the games I watched.  And in that context, he's not Sean Taylor or Ed Reed where he came off like a big time ball hawk in coverage.   And like you said he doesn't hit like him either.  He is a good tackler and hits low, he gets you by the legs typically as opposed to the torso.  As a tackler I like him better as a chase down type who grabs the runner before he springs for a big gain as opposed to being an enforcer who levels a receiver for catching a ball in the open field. 

I actually like Simmons more closer to the line of scrimmage the way SD uses James.  I like blitzing him up the A gap or off the edge and chasing down mobile QBs or RBs running outside zone.   He has the athletic ability to play FS but I think he's better in the SS role and or nickel LB and as a surprise tool to blitz.  Drive offenses crazy where you don't know if he's standing up to handle the TE in coverage or lot receiver or he's charing forward at the QB.  Simmons to me is the ultimate chess piece.  And if we trade down, he'd be my top target. 

When I watched Young in the same fashion where I watch play after play in some games.  I think Dwayne Haskins classification of him being a game wrecker is perfectly apt.  In the off seasons I like to watch games over and focus on our D line and I often put those clips on some threads.  And watching our edge rushers in particular, they can disappear for a good chunk of the game.   Kerrigan or Anderson or Preston when he was here have their moments.  But they rarely have games where they are bringing continued pressure.   It seems like our D tackles are more likely to be doubled up than or edge rushers.  Chase IMO is a different beast.  He is just a handful almost every play.  He is either bringing on the heat to the QB or the opponent is changing their game plan by quickening their throws, leaving their RB back to block, etc.

That dude changes an opponent's game plan.  He is IMO a really special player.   And yeah count me among the people that do believe that one killer pass rusher will help every player on that D line improve.  And help the secondary as well because QBs have to get rid the ball quicker and are more inclined to make panic throws.  In my years frequenting the draft thread I don't think I've been this jazzed about a player being a game changer for this team (maybe sans RG3, so maybe thats a bad omen 😀) than this dude.  And while I think Simmons would be one heck of a weapon for this defense.  I don't think he makes the same impact as Young.

But yeah as for the clips below you can see plenty of that with Chase.  Good luck stopping this D line because you can't double everyone.  

young.png

young2.png

young3.png

On 1/12/2020 at 3:33 AM, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

as some point Rivera will want a Kuechly equivalent on the defence. It might be a case of not being able to fix everything in one offseason on the defensive side of the ball, but we need impact Edge, stud LB, and a serious upgrade at FS. Jury is out at CB for me, would love to see some of the younger player progress to fill that void.

Well, as you say, you can't fix every hole every year. And yes Keuchly-level players are hard to come by. But I think you give Rueben Foster a year to see how he can be in the role. You take Chase Young.

On 1/11/2020 at 6:51 PM, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Based on the way the 49ers DL is playing right now, Young really does look like a perfect complement to what we have.....

I've said for a few weeks now that the Nick Bosa to SF comparison to the Redskins possibly gettnig Chase Young is uncanny.

I think the Niners invested 1st round picks in their DL for a number of years in a row, but the defense was not good. Then inject Nick Bosa and suddenly the DL is unstoppable.

Similar comps to our defense with Allen, Payne, Sweat and (Ionidis thrown in as a midrounder). These guys are beasts, but they haven't really lifted the defense to the next level.

SF:

2015: DT Arik Armstead (Round 1 Pick 17)

2016: DE DeForest Buckner (Round 1 Pick 7)

2017: DE Soloman Thomas (Round 1 Pick 3)

2019: DE Nick Bosa (Round 1 Pick 2)

WAS:

2017: DE Jonathan Allen (Round 1 Pick 17)

2018: DT Daron Payne (Round 1 Pick 13)

2019: DE Montez Sweat (Round 1 Pick 26)

2020: DE Chase Young (Round 1 Pick 2)

*I'll also note that there was some initial chatter last year that the Niners would be taking a 4th DL in 5 years in the 1st round and whether they had other more pressing needs. The responses I remember getting from mainly draft guys like Matt Miller was look ... sure you could go another direction if you drafted for need but you just don't pass on a talent like Nick Bosa. Those people are saying the same things about Chase Young. Draft and forget. And enjoy your top10 defense next year.

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Our of curiosity, here's the SF defense.  I made a similar point on the FA thread as to FS.  If we draft, Young, it would help to get a ball hawk/play maker type FS. 

Screen Shot 2020-01-13 at 1.24.40 PM.png

yeah they got a major win by getting Ward back on a one year prove it deal for little over 4mil. I mean, he is a pending FA but you would think he’d be a priority re-sign for them. He was initially a major investment too as a first round pick.

4 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

yeah they got a major win by getting Ward back on a one year prove it deal for little over 4mil. I mean, he is a pending FA but you would think he’d be a priority re-sign for them. He was initially a major investment too as a first round pick.

I hope he is #1 in our FA crosshairs.

8 hours ago, KDawg said:

I definitely need to watch it.  Need a cheatsheet for which number corresponds to which draft prospect though.

Someone (or several someones) will be way overdrafted because of this game.  Remember Kevin Dodd from a few years back?  Clemson vs Alabama part 1, Dodd had 3 sacks and went at the 33rd overall pick.  He busted out of the NFL within 2 years.

-------------------------------

I remember banging on the table for Jimmie Ward in the draft...and then he didn't even make it to our pick.  The 49ers tried to play him out of position at corner for years.  Now they're finally playing him in a role better suited towards his talents.

Surprised by the PFF grades they have for their two linebackers, I've heard from 49er fans that their linebackers are really good.

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I hope he is #1 in our FA crosshairs.

Depending how much money we want to shell out, this is a good Free Agent class to need a CB or non-box Safety.

1 minute ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I definitely need to watch it.  Need a cheatsheet for which number corresponds to which draft prospect though.

Someone (or several someones) will be way overdrafted because of this game.  Remember Kevin Dodd from a few years back?  Clemson vs Alabama part 1, Dodd had 3 sacks and went at the 33rd overall pick.  He busted out of the NFL within 2 years.

That's one of my favorite reasons to watch it. NFL teams are so desperate for talent that they see one game, ignore the entire sample size and draft a guy based on what he did once.

It's so intriguing.

2 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Depending how much money we want to shell out, this is a good Free Agent class to need a CB or non-box Safety.

CB, TE, FS free agent class should be great, we've got money and those are the three largest holes. This team should have a quick turn around IMO. I've got to  imagine we'll be aggressive.

If he is there with our 4th (or even 3rd but I know many will have an issue with this) round I would love to get KJ Hamler.  

On 1/11/2020 at 6:51 PM, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Based on the way the 49ers DL is playing right now, Young really does look like a perfect complement to what we have.....

Especially with a proven DC and not Manusky.

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think, in an ideal world, we wouldn't have so much money locked up in an underperforming offensive line. I'd rather pay Jonathan Allen, who I think could be a 10 sack guy next to Chase Young, than Scherff, who is always hurt these days. I think I'd draft some OL this year and franchise Scherff for a year with a plan to move on. We are going to have to drop a ton of money in the not indefinite future on DL, QB and McLaurin. I wouldn't lock a ton of money up on the interior line. I'd just spend a lot of mid round picks there. 

Edit: Boom! Here is the good news I've been hoping for. This is huge for us, IMHO. Looks like he is going to be supervising college and professional scouting now, so hopefully we won't continue to see these underperforming FA classes. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/01/13/redskins-continue-front-office-makeover-by-promoting-kyle-smith-vp-player-personnel/

6 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I think, in an ideal world, we wouldn't have so much money locked up in an underperforming offensive line. I'd rather pay Jonathan Allen, who I think could be a 10 sack guy next to Chase Young, than Scherff, who is always hurt these days. I think I'd draft some OL this year and franchise Scherff for a year with a plan to move on. We are going to have to drop a ton of money in the not indefinite future on DL, QB and McLaurin. I wouldn't lock a ton of money up on the interior line. I'd just spend a lot of mid round picks there. 

Edit: Boom! Here is the good news I've been hoping for. This is huge for us, IMHO. Looks like he is going to be supervising college and professional scouting now, so hopefully we won't continue to see these underperforming FA classes. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/01/13/redskins-continue-front-office-makeover-by-promoting-kyle-smith-vp-player-personnel/

We can pay both Scherff and Allen, who I don't think is a 10 sack guy at all, but he's the leader of our defensive front and that is extremely important.

Also, they've been enforcing the "Don't quote large blocks of text or pictures rule lately.

47 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Yep for me, too.  Kyle has been really good running college scouting.  Conversely, IMO our pro department has been mediocre to poor.  This should help. 

9 hours ago, KDawg said:

I hear ya, this is going to be a good one.  I think Clemson gets the straight up win.  Dabo always has his team ready to play and they have had a lot of success in the underdog role.  

I bet we draft at least one of these players from tonight, who knows which one.  But a lot of future NFL players.  

The one guy I hope is we end up with LSU cb Stingley, but it won't be this draft.  Dude is a beast!!!

3 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I hear ya, this is going to be a good one.  I think Clemson gets the straight up win.  Dabo always has his team ready to play and they have had a lot of success in the underdog role.  

I bet we draft at least one of these players from tonight, who knows which one.  But a lot of future NFL players.  

The one guy I hope is we end up with LSU cb Stingley, but it won't be this draft.  Dude is a beast!!!

There's one guy in this game I'm really hoping for...!

I think the majority of this forum could guess who :ols:

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

There's one guy in this game I'm really hoping for...!

I think the majority of this forum could guess who :ols:

Haha, I think he is going to be huge tonight.  I love him as a prospect too, but not over chase.  

But after tonight, I think your argument will only be stronger and will fuel the debate. You make a lot of good points, and millions will see it on display tonight.  

5 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Haha, I think he is going to be huge tonight.  I love him as a prospect too, but not over chase.  

But after tonight, I think your argument will only be stronger and will fuel the debate. You make a lot of good points, and millions will see it on display tonight.  

Truthfully, I've come to grips that it would take extraordinary circumstances for us to get Simmons and that we will have Chase Young.

I'll tell ya what, that's a pretty easy reality to come to grips with. But, it still hurts my heart a little. :ols:

7 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Oooo, Senior Bowl practices are already under way?  I need to dig into this, lots gems are revealed there.

Can we trust someone named Throckmartin when we have a Martin?

This is a big enough reason to give pause. I don't want him Throcking our Martin.

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Can we trust someone named Throckmartin when we have a Martin?

This is a big enough reason to give pause. I don't want him Throcking our Martin.

Is this a highlander situation?  There can only be one Martin?  However, what if, and I'm just spitballing here, having a Martin and Throckmartin results in them fusing together to create one super Martin?  I'm thinking of something like Bill & Ted Bogus Journey.

54 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

We can pay both Scherff and Allen, who I don't think is a 10 sack guy at all, but he's the leader of our defensive front and that is extremely important.

Also, they've been enforcing the "Don't quote large blocks of text or pictures rule lately.

Thanks for the reminder re quoting large blocks of text. 

You could be right re: Allen, but he had 8 sacks in 2018 without anyone else on the line really drawing double teams. Doesn't seem like a stretch to think that he could line up next to Chase Young and across from a 2nd year Montez Sweat and collect 2 more. 

3 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Thanks for the reminder re quoting large blocks of text. 

You could be right re: Allen, but he had 8 sacks in 2018 without anyone else on the line really drawing double teams. Doesn't seem like a stretch to think that he could line up next to Chase Young and across from a 2nd year Montez Sweat and collect 2 more. 

I bet we pick up Allen's option.  That unit has too much potential to let Allen walk, at least pick up the 5th year to see if he can be extended.   Affording all those guys is gonna be tough, but not at the rate of the 5th year option.  

Archived