Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

14 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I love Justin Jefferson.  He's been one of my favorite players in the class.  I think he has the heart of a captain and a winner and that has a lot of the same strengths as a route runner as Tyler Johnson, but he's faster and has a vertical element to his game.  Toughness is great.  I think he's very versatile and that he can line up throughout your offense.  And I think he gives high effort in each part of this job, including being pretty effective as a blocker in the slot.  He is super good against zone coverage, which suggests a slot role at the next level.  Feels those seams out immediately and drops right into them.  The problem is that he is not a dynamic athlete.  Tyler Johnson is quicker than him.  Long armed press corners strap him up, he has problems getting off the line of scrimmage and getting open down field against them.  There is no wiggle in his game.  That's the major difference between him and the true blue chippers of the class: Higgins, Ruggs, Lamb, and Jeudy.  It's why I think he'll go in the second round instead of the first.  In a thinner wide receiver class, he might have been able to sneak into the end of round one.  But not this one.

Great breakdown, man.  Much appreciated.  Do you have any high/low comps you'd throw out for these guys?

I'm no scout, but just thowing on highlights, my immediate impression was that Jefferson has true stud potential.  He jumped off the screen and looked like a guy you build your passing attack around.  Johnson seemed really crafty, not an exceptional athlete but looked like a real gamer.   Maybe a bit of Diggs to him.

I'm really struggling with Higgins though.  My immediate impressoin conjured memories of Treadwell.  Need to see combine results of course, but he just seemed so lumbering and when I went back and watched Treadwell for a baseline, they seemed really similar to me.  Am I way off base or is that a legit low end comp for him?

22 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

I'm really struggling with Higgins though.  My immediate impressoin conjured memories of Treadwell.  Need to see combine results of course, but he just seemed so lumbering and when I went back and watched Treadwell for a baseline, they seemed really similar to me.  Am I way off base or is that a legit low end comp for him?

I think he's pretty different from Treadwell.  Treadwell was a grinder who made his mark as a blocker and in short range catches in traffic.  Higgins is way bigger and faster than him.  He's an outside receiver who will make his money primarily as a vertical weapon.  His high end ceiling is more like Mike Evans.  Low end more like Mike Williams.  He's going to be a beefy outside receiver at the next level instead of a slot guy.

52 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

won't be happy: 

Disappointed, but not surprised.  It's better for him personally to go back and put up another good season.  He's got low mileage and can work himself into the first round.

I get the sense that a lot of the Alabama kids have an unfinished business mentality headed into the offseason.  They're going to get a lot of guys back who might have left if they'd made the CFP.  Whereas I think Ohio State and LSU have an exodus and will be reloading next season.

Calling my shot now, I think next year's CFP teams will be Alabama, Clemson, Oregon, and Texas.

Not surprised about Freirmuth, Sage Suratt, Sam Cosmi, or Creed Humphrey since they're sophomores.  I was hoping Humphrey would come out though, he is really really good and I think he had a shot at the first round.  I expect Chuba Hubbard to go back too. 

Kind of disappointed Shaun Wade is headed back, because I thought he'd be a nice second round target if we could maneuver around.  Ditto for Tylan Wallace since I thought he could be a value pick, but it makes sense for him to go back and get healthy to try and recover some draft value.  Trey Smith going back is a really good sign for Tennessee's program IMO, as is picking off Cade Mays.  It's a pretty clear indication that he bought in to Pruitt and that probably means others have too.  Smith has the talent to win an Outland, and if he puts in a dominant season he could go first or early second round as opposed to being a mid rounder this year.

I think they're going to beat Georgia next year and challenge for the division.  Georgia's realing.  They're losing everybody pretty much, and I suspect Kirby Smart isn't as good a coach as he is a recruiter.

Marvin Wilson going back is pretty cool too.  He's not really on our radar given the position he plays, but he's got first round upside.

Doing some fact checking: Freirmuth is a true sophomore.  He's not even draft eligible this year.

1 hour ago, panahoo said:

What is the thinking on someone like Bryce Perkins as a 7th round pick for a backup qb?

Quality human being. Have no problem giving him a camp contract in order to compete. Personally would grade UDRFA. 

Teams always do the regional prospect thing come 7th to undrafted, no prob there. You get an extra 7th from somewhere, sure I could be amenable.

He's obviously someone worth more a chance than like a shea patterson, who ain't an NFL QB. But if we're spending a pick on a project QB, I'd be inclined to go Montez, personally.

Perk I think is fine for camp and a battle for the #3 but I think I've seen his best and noted where it caps off.  

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

With all that talent going back and next year looking like a great draft already, seems like an ever better year to have #2 and possibly slide back for future picks.

Yeah, I’ve been saying we should be taking the long view here.  For example, not necessarily going all in this year (with our resources) and instead letting the new coaches get a better feel for our personnel while we roll over cap and add future picks to help them address needs after that evaluation period.  
One could argue this is one area it can help having your GM in charge, but there’s a thread for that :)

Good news is that Rivera should have some longevity, so I imagine/hope he takes a more macro view.  

Back to your point though, if we did trade out of #2 and did add a future 1st... we can use that to move up for a qb if Haskins doesn’t pan out, or to take a top tackle, etc.  Trading down and stocking the team (as well as gaining future resources) as @stevemcqueen1 has suggested is quite tempting to me.  I’ve been a fan of our drafting so I have some faith we could add multiple pieces - which would go a long way.  
I’ll be happy to land Young as well though.  It’s a position of import - a force multiplier - and we badly need more blue chip players on this roster.  Young’s the safest prospect in the draft in this regard.  

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

Back to your point though, if we did trade out of #2 and did add a future 1st... we can use that to move up for a qb if Haskins doesn’t pan out, or to take a top tackle, etc.  Trading down and stocking the team (as well as gaining future resources) as @stevemcqueen1 has suggested is quite tempting to me.  I’ve been a fan of our drafting so I have some faith we could add multiple pieces - which would go a long way.  
I’ll be happy to land Young as well though.  It’s a position of import - a force multiplier - and we badly need more blue chip players on this roster.  Young’s the safest prospect in the draft in this regard.  

We are in a very very good position and it got even better when the one making the decision is no longer Bruce Allen.  

There are multiple options that would make me happy.  

On 1/10/2020 at 8:59 AM, volsmet said:

My guy @Anselmheifer would understand the medical concerns far better than I, and we should have a bit of clarity by draft day, but it’s a rare opportunity to be sitting at #2 looking at a QB every nfl scout was salivating over just a few months ago. 

I am honestly less concerned about his hip. Bo Jackson got avascular necrosis partially because of a missed diagnosis. They initially didn't realize his hip was dislocated and they didn't reduce the dislocation in a timely fashion. Not that there is no risk of avacular necrosis with Tua, but we should know how he is doing by the draft. Tua's risk of future arthritis certainly goes up with his fracture dislocation, but I wouldn't anticipate that to be something that overly affects him before age 35.

His internal rotation will be slightly affected. He might not be quite as shifty or fluid and it's possible that he might occasionally have some pain in the hip. Tua is special for his passing though, not his running. He is such a natural thrower. I love his motion and release. I can't imagine that this injury is going to significantly affect his throwing power or accuracy. 

For me the hip injury can't be viewed in isolation. If it were just the hip, I'd be less worried. It is however the hip, and both ankles. That tells me the guy is to some degree fragile and is likely going to be prone to injury. He's still so talented though that I'd love to have him. I would just invest a lot in OL, and RB's that could block. And I'd try to incorporate a lot of quick developing routes in my offense. Tua is great at reading a D and throwing guys open. If he fully recovers from this injury and has significant OL protection, I think he could be a guy like Drew Brees that gets rid of the ball quickly and doesn't get hit a lot.

I love Chase Young. He's the best defensive prospect I think I've looked at closely. And I'm still on record saying that if I were GM, I would take Tua 2nd overall. He's going to have every inch of the NFL impact that Deshaun Watson has, IMHO. I hope that if Miami takes him, they sit him for a year and let him heal and develop while they build up their OL. 

Also, I know this thread has turned into a Simmons love fest. I like Chase a lot more than I like Simmons. I think I might take Okudah and Jerry over Simmons as well. However, tonight's Ravens game has me thinking about Simmons. Imagine Simmons as a spy on Lamar Jackson. He is perfect for that role, and having a player like Simmons might be the only way to adequately game plan for defending the Ravens. I could see Simmons having even more value in the AFC, especially the AFC North. 

I would be happy getting Young or Simmons honestly. Simmons is the closest player I have ever seen to Sean Taylor.  That dude might be on the same level of prospect as young IMO.  His measurables and bend are elite. 

I have a theory about Rivera and Haskins.  If I put myself in his position I imagine he feels very confident in his staff and the personnel already here and that he will add.  I think he is itching to pick up one of these veteran FA QB's and make a run at it right away. 

I think he hates the idea that his first few years will be tied to a rookie qb that he did not select and that he might have some serious questions about.

I am not a Haskins hater but its not crazy to think that someone would look at his performance last year and be unimpressed to say the least.  Maybe there is more to it that we dont know..who knows.  But I just have a feeling he might want to go another direction.

Which brings me to the draft.  This is a crazy hypothetical but It makes sense if you believe RIvera is thinking this way.

What if he wants to get a veteran and free agency and try to win his first year or two all while grooming a younger qb more to his liking.  One that he does not have to start right away.

Who is the best QB in the class absent injuries?  Tua.  Who can they get at 2 or even potentially with a short trade back? Tua.

IF they draft Tua they can have a elite project and an open door to start a veteran in the next year or two.  Someone like....tom brady.

Or they could just play Alex.

Just some thoughts.

I think the only teams that may possible trade with us are the Chargers, Raiders or Phins. Below are essentially the deals for each I would trade out of 2 for.

Raiders - 12, 19, and 2021 1st

Chargers - 6, 37, 2021 1st and 3rd

Phins - 5, 18, and 39

For instance Chargers trade, you can take Simmons at 6, and maybe someone like Justin Jefferson at 37. Go into the draft before year 3 of Haskins (2021) with 2 1sts, a 2nd and 2 3rds. This allows us to add a lot of talent of Haskins if he is the guy or give us the ammo to trade up for a QB in 2021 if he is not the guy

Archived