Welcome to the Redskins Terry Mclaurin WR Ohio State

PCS

Year Team G Rush Yds Yd/Rush TDs Rec Yds Yd/Rec TDs
2015 OhioSt  13 0 0 - 0 0 0 - 0
2016 OhioSt  13 0 0 - 0 11 114 10.4 2
2017 OhioSt  14 0 0 - 0 29 436 15.0 6
2018 OhioSt  12 0 0 - 0 35 701 20.0 11
Career   52 0 0 - 0 75 1251 16.7 19

Obviously this is the elephant in the room here.

75 career catches in 4 seasons just isn't much production. He only caught 35 balls last season. Now the advanced stats are all great: 20 ypr, target catch%, his receiving yards per target were through the roof, 11 TDs in 35 Receptions is insane, etc. 

He was drafted for his 4.35 speed and special teams, which in fairness makes McClaurin a reach. Not quite like drafting Hardman in the early 2nd, but we're still assuming McClaurin's talent/intangibles will translate on the field in some way. That's always something I'm wearing of predicting. Some of the first words out of Jonathn Allen's mouth about Montez Sweat was that he has the production on the field to match his talent. 

There's also our current WR core, or lack of one, and the new QBs to consider. 

2 hours ago, Mooka said:

75 career catches in 4 seasons just isn't much production. He only caught 35 balls last season. Now the advanced stats are all great: 20 ypr, target catch%, his receiving yards per target were through the roof, 11 TDs in 35 Receptions is insane, etc. 

He was drafted for his 4.35 speed and special teams, which in fairness makes McClaurin a reach. Not quite like drafting Hardman in the early 2nd, but we're still assuming McClaurin's talent/intangibles will translate on the field in some way. That's always something I'm wearing of predicting. Some of the first words out of Jonathn Allen's mouth about Montez Sweat was that he has the production on the field to match his talent. 

There's also our current WR core, or lack of one, and the new QBs to consider. 

Eh, I wouldn't say he was drafted just for speed and special teams. If you watch his cutups he's very fast but he's also a very precise route runner, has great hands, and has great body control. On top of that you know he's going to be dedicated, hard working, and a leader. I don't think he was a reach at all in the 3rd. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being an absolute steal where we got him. 

Mclaurin's catches and yards aren't out of this world but he was also on a team with an insanely deep WR roster including him, Parris Campbell, K.J Hill, Johnnie Dixon, Austin Mack, and Chris Olave, and they spread the ball around quite a bit. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mooka said:

Year        Yd/Rec        TDs

2016          10.4            2

2017          15.0            6

2018          20.0           11

So logically....

2019          25.0           17 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, London Kev said:

2016          10.4            2

2017          15.0            6

2018          20.0           11

So logically....

2019          25.0           17 

You can't extrapolate stats in football my man. 

3 hours ago, mistertim said:

Eh, I wouldn't say he was drafted just for speed and special teams. If you watch his cutups he's very fast but he's also a very precise route runner, has great hands, and has great body control. On top of that you know he's going to be dedicated, hard working, and a leader. I don't think he was a reach at all in the 3rd. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being an absolute steal where we got him. 

I don't disagree; I'm personally excited about the pick, but at the end of the day we have to admit that the guy doesn't really have all that much production in college. IMO, anyone expecting this kid to make an immediate impact needs to hamper their expectations. 

Of course our starting WRs are Docston and PRich right now. 

1 hour ago, Mooka said:

I don't disagree; I'm personally excited about the pick, but at the end of the day we have to admit that the guy doesn't really have all that much production in college. IMO, anyone expecting this kid to make an immediate impact needs to hamper their expectations. 

Of course our starting WRs are Docston and PRich right now. 

That's true, however much of that was due to not having as many targets. However, his efficiency on those targets was outstanding and better than any of his peers at Ohio State (actually better than any other WR in the country in some stats).

https://www.sbnation.com/2019/3/5/18247493/terry-mclaurin-scouting-report

Among FBS receivers in this class, McLaurin was first in 2018 in Marginal Efficiency, the advanced stat by SB Nation’s Bill Connelly that measures how successful a throw to a receiver is based on the down and distance. (For instance, a 10-yard completion on third-and-8 is more efficient than a 12-year completion on third-and-20.) He was seventh in the class in Marginal Explosiveness, which similarly measures how successful his successful targets are. Nobody fared better across both departments.

He caught 71 percent of his targets, ninth-best in the class. He averaged 14.3 yards per target, No. 1 in the class. He caught 11 touchdowns, tied for sixth-most. It helped to play in an elite Ohio State offense quarterbacked by Dwayne Haskins, but there’s no statistical indicator that McLaurin’s anything other than a star.

Edited by mistertim

• 2 weeks later...

Did anybody else here Charlie Casserly on redskins training camp say that McLaurin performed so well at OTA’s that he’s starting on one side and now doctson is competing with P Richardson for the other? 

It seems way too early to be saying stuff like that in my opinion and I haven’t heard any other reporters putting that out there. But he said he was looking like a first rounder out there so that’s hopeful I guess. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

Did anybody else here Charlie Casserly on redskins training camp say that McLaurin performed so well at OTA’s that he’s starting on one side and now doctson is competing with P Richardson for the other? 

It seems way too early to be saying stuff like that in my opinion and I haven’t heard any other reporters putting that out there. But he said he was looking like a first rounder out there so that’s hopeful I guess. 

That's interesting. Didn't hear anything similar to this coming out of OTAs. Below is the link if anyone wants to listen:

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/video/wide-receiver-decision-and-terry-mclaurin

2 hours ago, Fresh8686 said:

Yes i saw Casserly say this also.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2019 at 7:11 PM, Fresh8686 said:

If McLaurin can display consistency catching the ball, I would love to see him and Richardson as the starting WRs purely for the speed on the outside (while between the 20s at least). Imagine the operating room underneath for the likes of Reed, Quinn and Guice/Thompson?

Edited by Wyndorf25
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Wyndorf25 said:

If McLaurin can display consistency catching the ball, I would love to see him and Richardson as the starting WRs purely for the speed on the outside (while between the 20s at least). Imagine the operating room underneath for the likes of Reed, Quinn and Guice/Thompson?

Great point. 

Wonder how Mcclaurin does on slants and catching balls in traffic. I know Jay likes to have one guy that can be physical. Mcclaurin seems to have solid build. 

16 hours ago, wit33 said:

Great point. 

Wonder how Mcclaurin does on slants and catching balls in traffic. I know Jay likes to have one guy that can be physical. Mcclaurin seems to have solid build. 

McLaurin can be physical and catch balls in traffic when need be. I just rewatched the Ohio State versus TSU game and he had a really gem catch in traffic with 2 defenders draped on him. There is more than that. But it was one heck of a play. Both him and Harmon can play physical. 

• Like 1

On 7/6/2019 at 5:36 PM, wit33 said:

Great point. 

True, but I think that's where a guy like Reed comes in. He may be fragile but he is physical. And let's not forget about what Harmon may bring to the table.

On 7/8/2019 at 10:36 PM, LetThePointsSoar said:

I'm disappointed in ES.  

It's a full 4 days after the holiday and no one yet has asked the most important question.... 

Did Terry back up and put it in reverse last week on the 4th for fireworks? 

Bueller?  Dang it, ES.  You're really disappointing me. Dang offseason.

OMG...I was doing a mock draft for fantasy football on www.fantasyfootballcalculator.com and I wanted to see how they ranked the Redskins WRs. Put it this way, I was searching waaaaay down the list for Terry McLaurin and noticed they had Byron Marshall (a RB), Quinton Dunbar (a CB), Jehu Chesson (a likely practice squad player at best) and some other guys I honestly have never heard of, ranked ahead of him! lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm excited about the young stable of Wrs.  The unkown untapped potential between Terry, Sims,Harmon and Quinn should result in having two emerge as bona fide starters. 

Terry in particular presents interesting qualities due to size and athletic ability which is enhanced by route nuance and work ethic. When the training camp tweets start rolling in I will definitely be addicted.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, SkinsFootball said:

Terry in particular presents interesting qualities due to size and athletic ability which is enhanced by route nuance and work ethic. When the training camp tweets start rolling in I will definitely be addicted.

Just hearing the words “training camp tweets” has me excited.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2019 at 6:46 PM, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Dude is sounding more and more like the total package. Can’t wait to see  him compete.

There's gotta be a catch.  The way people talk about him, he does everything well, he takes coaching, he improves, nice guy, good teammate, he's got speed, good hands, willing blocker, decent route runner, plays special teams.  This cat seems like the best receiver in history.  

Aside from Haskins, he is the guy I want to see the most on the entire roster.  If he's half as good as we hear, we may have something 

On 6/23/2019 at 11:18 PM, Bonez3 said:

Mclaurin may never be defined by stats. He's a football player, maybe one of the most important stats

Found Scot McCloughan's account.

• Like 2