Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Terry Mclaurin WR Ohio State

PCS

3 minutes ago, Acworth skins fan said:

Just what do you think Congress can do about Dan?

I don't think Congress can do anything about Dan, but the owners will be listening to what gets said and if he messes with their nut...

I don't know whether to be relieved or worried at the fact that the McLaurin contract situation seems to get an update-not really-update on a daily basis now.  It feels like one of two things, either progress really is being made in negotiations, or the front office knows they need to put out the perception that it is.

I’m thinking both sides have a general idea of where this deal will end up, but they have to be very gentle in the discussion for long term relations.  I’m guessing overall value about $100 mill for five years with $20 mil in the form of a signing bonus and another $50mil or so guaranteed.  Not the highest WR contract, but in the top 5.  I expect a deal done by the end of next week based on the tone I am hearing.

Prison 😂😂 if they had any crap on that moron they would’ve nailed him by now.This country is on the titanic and congress is worried about that moron.There not going to get him on the money or the women who said he touched my leg and tried to force me in the limo goodluck with that.Most owners in the league are dirty the problem with our owner is he thought he could run the football side and the results for over 20 yrs are losing records.They have done everything in that building to change culture now win games and we move on cause Snyder isn’t going anywhere.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, veteranskinsfan said:

We pay Curtis Samuel a ton of money and he does not play for two years and they can't yet pay Terry.

Cut Samuel today and then you can pay Terry tomorrow.

Doesn't really work that way.. we cut samuel today that turns into 19 million in dead cap so we'd have less money to pay Terry.

CScap.PNG

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ZarG3 said:

Doesn't really work that way.. we cut samuel today that turns into 19 million in dead cap so we'd have less money to pay Terry.

CScap.PNG

As an interesting aside, he's one of the very, very few contracts we have that have voided years pushing cap hit out into years where the player is not on the team.

Jackson is the other. Jon Allen's extension did not have it.  Neither Leno nor Lucas do.

Interestingly, McKissic's does.  But it's only $500,000 for 3 voided years.  That seems really odd.  I do wonder why they didn't take that hit this year instead of spreading it out for three voided years.

The Commanders use this technique sparingly.  The Rams and Saints use it all the time.  

22 hours ago, veteranskinsfan said:

We pay Curtis Samuel a ton of money and he does not play for two years and they can't yet pay Terry.

Really quick summary of Cap Math:

1. Signing Bonus - Paid immediately to the player, but the cap hit is spread through all the years of the contract

2. Yearly Salary - Salary paid to the player on the given year.   

3. Guaranteed Money

3a.  Signing Bonus is always guaranteed because it's paid when the contract is signed

3b.  You can then guarantee any additional part of the contract, future years, etc.

3c.  Guaranteed at signing = the total amount, including the signing bonus, which is guaranteed at signing.  This amount WILL hit the team's cap at some point.

3d.  You can defer a guaranteed to a future year.  For example, years 2 and 3 of the deal could become fully guaranteed on the third day of the 2023 league year.

When you cut a player, whatever is left of their guaranteed money immediately escalates to the current year's cap.

EXCEPT if you designate a June 1st cut, in which case, the guaranteed money is then spread between 2 years.

With Wentz, we could cut him after 2022 because he has no more guaranteed money left on his deal, and he's done.

With Samuel, he has plenty of guaranteed money still un-accounted for on the cap, so we would take a huge hit if we released him.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

@Voice_of_Reason guaranteed money isn't always paid right away is it? Sometimes its backloaded but still guaranteed, probably gets accelerated if they are cut or traded 

It has to be set aside in its entirety at the time of the contract signing but not paid right away as far as I am aware.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

@Voice_of_Reason guaranteed money isn't always paid right away is it? Sometimes its backloaded but still guaranteed, probably gets accelerated if they are cut or traded 

That’s kindof correct and there is a nuance:

- Signing bonus always fully guaranteed and immediately paid.

- certain amount “guaranteed at signing.”  A lot of teams guarantee the first 2 years salary of a star player, and some other roster bonus stuff.  So for example, if a player is scheduled to earn a base of $17M in year 2 which is guaranteed at signing, he would earn $1M per game.  This is paid out as earned, but as @KDawg indicated, they do have to set it aside. 

From a Cap perspective, any guaranteed money which has not already been accounted for under the cap immediately escalates to the current cap year. 

What I don’t know is teams can defer guaranteeing salary for a year or two.  For example, a lot of players are getting signed to 4 or 5 year deals with year one fully guaranteed at signing, and year 2 and 3 fully guaranteed on the third day of the 2023 league year.  (So next March)

I don’t know whether that amount has to be set aside now or next March.  

I think next March which is why they do it that way.  They can’t cut the player anyway because the entire signing bonus would escalate to the current year, making that kindof a poison pill, so the players are ok letting teams defer guaranteeing years 2 and 3 for a year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/17/2022 at 2:05 PM, Voice_of_Reason said:

Really quick summary of Cap Math:

1. Signing Bonus - Paid immediately to the player, but the cap hit is spread through all the years of the contract

2. Yearly Salary - Salary paid to the player on the given year.   

3. Guaranteed Money

3a.  Signing Bonus is always guaranteed because it's paid when the contract is signed

3b.  You can then guarantee any additional part of the contract, future years, etc.

3c.  Guaranteed at signing = the total amount, including the signing bonus, which is guaranteed at signing.  This amount WILL hit the team's cap at some point.

3d.  You can defer a guaranteed to a future year.  For example, years 2 and 3 of the deal could become fully guaranteed on the third day of the 2023 league year.

When you cut a player, whatever is left of their guaranteed money immediately escalates to the current year's cap.

EXCEPT if you designate a June 1st cut, in which case, the guaranteed money is then spread between 2 years.

With Wentz, we could cut him after 2022 because he has no more guaranteed money left on his deal, and he's done.

With Samuel, he has plenty of guaranteed money still un-accounted for on the cap, so we would take a huge hit if we released him.

Thanks for the Cap Math!!

On 6/16/2022 at 3:56 PM, veteranskinsfan said:

This is only Curtis Samuel second year with the team.  Two years ago in 2020 Samuel had  851 receiving yards and 200 rushing yards for the Panthers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/17/2022 at 2:56 AM, veteranskinsfan said:

Nope. Dumbest thing I've ever heard.

How does $225k in cap savings and $12.4M in dead-cap for cutting Samuels get you anything more than fired as a GM

giphy.gif

On 6/17/2022 at 7:40 PM, ZarG3 said:

CScap.PNG

That's the wrong breakdown sport. You cave to select the correct pull-down option which is Post June 1 to get the correct numbers.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TheShredder said:

Nope. Dumbest thing I've ever heard.

How does $225k in cap savings and $12.4M in dead-cap for cutting Samuels get you anything more than fired as a GM

giphy.gif

That's the wrong breakdown sport. You cave to select the correct pull-down option which is Post June 1 to get the correct numbers.

Oh blow me. My point was the same as yours. Slow news day huh?