Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Terry Mclaurin WR Ohio State

PCS

On 6/19/2022 at 10:35 PM, Voice_of_Reason said:

As a total aside, how stupid do you have to be to taunt a 6-7 cyborg space wizard who can kill you with his mind?  Vader should have snapped his neck just because he was stupid.  

Don't forget, some of those guys basically regarded Vader as Vinny to the Emperor being Snyder. 

7 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Yup. The agent is doing his duty to his client. It made sense to delay negotiations.  So they've been waiting for the market to get set as it would most likely increase the value..

Except that is a fairy tale.

Pretending that one side is extra competent, in order to cover up for the owners supreme level of incompetence, is just one more defense mechanism fans have when dealing with a clown like this as the owner of your team.

It's right up there with the good old "Well, he didn't want to be here" routine. 

19 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Pretending that one side is extra competent, in order to cover up for the owners supreme level of incompetence, is just one more defense mechanism fans have when dealing with a clown like this as the owner of your team.

It's right up there with the good old "Well, he didn't want to be here" routine. 

Both can be and are probably true. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

This is pure conjecture...but, I don't think Terry wants to be here longterm. 

Any player with options, short of WAS absolutely breaking the bank for them, probably wouldn't want to burn the prime of their career on this team. 

• Thumb down 1

32 minutes ago, formerly4skins said:

This is pure conjecture...but, I don't think Terry wants to be here longterm. 

Any player with options, short of WAS absolutely breaking the bank for them, probably wouldn't want to burn the prime of their career on this team. 

This doesn’t make sense because his agent is smart. If he didn’t want to be here it would have leaked when WR’s were moving in trades left and right. That to me says he wants what he’s worth, but prefers to be here (for whatever reason). 

1 minute ago, Conn said:

This doesn’t make sense because his agent is smart. If he didn’t want to be here it would have leaked when WR’s were moving in trades left and right. That to me says he wants what he’s worth, but prefers to be here (for whatever reason). 

I agree with this. This upcoming year could be huge for Terry Mac, the offense has a lot of weapons and potentially has a QB that can get the ball to those weapons. If I was Scary Terry I would be salivating at the opportunity this year. Could definitely be a career year for the man.

1 hour ago, SkinsFTW said:

Nothing I said was anything positive or negative about Dan Snyder. I didn't bring up his name or ownership at all.  He is incompetent. But he's not negotiating with the agent. The front office, Mayhew, Hurney, etc are.

It's possible for the agent to want to delay negotiations (as he should), and for Snyder to suck. This isn't some Machiavellian level of scheming taking place.

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If guaranteed money is the hangup with Terry's contract as Finlay said yesterday he suspects -- you'd figure they've laid out plenty of ground work to do this via their low key off season especially in the context of guaranteed money 

If this is true, I'm not sure how they're getting hung up.  

image.png.3281c480af996e39d60f49f2df53adf7.png

3 things:

1. The signing bonus should be the easy part.  Give him $21M, and call it a day.  That's smack in the middle of all of the signing bonuses.  It's less than Hill's, slightly less than Brown's, but that's fine.

2. Guaranteed at signing shouldn't be that hard.  That's going to be the signing bonus + whatever money he will earn in 2022 + 2023, most likely. Give him $41M.  Just like DJ Moore.  If his side is asking for Hill's $52M at signing, they're nuts.  

3. Fully guaranteed, which typically means year 3 becomes fully guaranteed on the third day of the 2023 league year, I can see this being the sticking point. But it shouldn't be that hard to work out.  He's not getting the $70+ million number.  He is not Hill, Kupp or Diggs.  I say match that up with the AJ Brown deal, and Terry's side should be fine with that.

So, $20M signing Bonus, $41 guaranteed at signing, $57M fully guaranteed.  Without a bloated year, AAV would probably be somewhere ~$22M.That's more than Godwin, Moore and AJ Brown.  Less than Hill and Diggs.  About the same as Adams.

To me, that seems imminently fair.    Sheehan has said, and I agree with him, he does not think the team is going to low-ball Terry.  

Honestly to God, if the team offered that and Terry turned it down, that would be a massive reach from his side.  That would be a really fair offer based on the comps.  

So, if things break down for whatever reason, it's for one of two reasons:

1. Terry's side is stuck on the $70m fully guaranteed number and won't get off of it. That would be a mistake on their part.

2. The team isn't willing to go to basically the average of the comps above.  That would be a mistake on their part.

Either side has the opportunity to be stupid.  Both sides have the opportunity to be smart.

I don't know why I have this gut feeling, but at this point, I think Terry's side is asking for an unreasonable number, probably the $70M guaranteed number to put him with Hill and Diggs.  And the Commanders are more comfortable between $50 and $60.  That's pure speculation.  But it's my gut feeling.  I just don't think the signing bonus and guaranteed at signing are even remotely complicated.  Fully guaranteed?  Yeah, that can be sticky, but in the end, I think that should be too hard to work out either.  

But Terry's side can't dig their heals in and demand the $70m like they have all the leverage.  If they do, things will get ugly because I can't see the Commander's copping to that number.  (And in my opinion, from a football standpoint, they shouldn't.  He's not that player.  From a "full picture" perspective?  MAYBE.  But I personally still think that number is out of alignment with his value.  If it comes out that Terry wanted $70M and the team just didn't want to do that, I would NOT kill them for that.  If he wanted $57 and they wouldn't do that?  I WOULD kill them for that.)

3 hours ago, 86 Snyder said:

Hmmm.  Wonder why this particular team would hand out the lowest guaranteed money of the entire league? Somebody posit a theory, I just can’t put my finger on a viable one.

They're going to have the highest guaranteed salary in the league in 2 years when they extend Terry, Payne, Sweat, Holcomb and extend Wentz, with Young coming due as well?

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Whatever is holding it up, somehow I think tonight's story will help fast track that contract

I'd put Simmons 3rd on that list.  He's a dominant DT (much more rarer than a WR).  

How anyone can think this organization isn’t having cash flow issues at this point is beyond me. I’ll agree we can’t confirm it. But it’s as close as you can get to confirmed without it actually being confirmed.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

They're going to have the highest guaranteed salary in the league in 2 years when they extend Terry, Payne, Sweat, Holcomb and extend Wentz, with Young coming due as well?

This is a much better line of discussion than before.

I would counter by saying they’ve already indicated Payne isn’t going to be resigned.  Maybe that changes with a killer season, but sure seems like they’ve moved on mentally by attempting to draft a replacement (spoiler: he’s not lol).

Holcomb?  Really?  If the team thinks Holcomb deserves big or even medium guaranteed money, they are dumber than I thought, which I keep thinking is impossible and yet…

Wentz doesn’t need to be extended, he is under control for two more seasons.  Interesting you bring him up because he’s my star witness in the case for why Snyder is broke.  He’s a no-brainer restructure to free up cap space and they are sitting on their hands after giving up multiple high round draft choices.  It makes zero sense.

Sweat/Young- Both seem a little stupid and underperformed last year.  This is the same team that let Preston Smith walk.  Sweat seems like a similar level talent and while I’ll grant you they are planning to resign Young, I’d be pretty surprised if they try to keep both unless Sweat really steps it up this year.

Terry is obvious.

So no, I do not think they are simply saving $$ for the future.  There are two important resigning on the horizon and really, what team doesn’t have that sort of thing to worry about? They are operating like a team that at minimum feels the need to worry about cash and at maximum absolutely have to worry about cash.    Doesn’t even matter which is true, billionaire NFL franchise owners aren’t supposed to feel cash strapped.

4 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

This is a much better line of discussion than before.

I would counter by saying they’ve already indicated Payne isn’t going to be resigned.  Maybe that changes with a killer season, but sure seems like they’ve moved on mentally by attempting to draft a replacement (spoiler: he’s not lol).

They said they want to, but probably not this year, and definitely not before Terry.  Keim has reported this a number of times, that there is still a possibility for an extension this off-season, and certainly next off-season.  Standig has reported there's no chance for this off-season.  Who's right? I don't know.  We won't know until after the Terry deal gets done.  Both Standig and Keim are pretty reliable, and this is an odd instance where they're reporting is diverging.  

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they franchised Payne next season.

Holcomb?  Really?  If the team thinks Holcomb deserves big or even medium guaranteed money, they are dumber than I thought, which I keep thinking is impossible and yet…

They will extend him and the amount won't be huge, but it will be starting LB money.  They reason they will extend him is because they don't have any other LBs on the team.  So, it's kindof a necessity.  It won't be a HUGE deal, but it will be an extension.  (I like Holcomb for what he is, FWIW.  He is good, improving, was drafted, and has been groomed.  That's what we've been asking them to do.)

Wentz doesn’t need to be extended, he is under control for two more seasons.  Interesting you bring him up because he’s my star witness in the case for why Snyder is broke.  He’s a no-brainer restructure to free up cap space and they are sitting on their hands after giving up multiple high round draft choices.  It makes zero sense.

Yeah, if he's still around, he will need an extension after the 2023 season.  (And in my quote, I said the next 2 seasons.  He would be up the same off-season as Young I think, if I did my math correctly.)  They're not going to let him play on the last year of his deal and then go into franchise tag hell.  So he would be extended after the 2023 season, again, if he's still around.  

There is no way they would restructure him now, though, and it has nothing to do with money.  It has everything to do with the fact they need to see him in this offense and make sure "He is who they thought he was."  (Thank you Dennis Green).  If he's not, you're out a 3rd and either a second or a third, and that's it.  No future penalty for losing him.

And his $28M is fully guaranteed this year anyway.  

I was one of the more positive on the Wentz trade, more so because the alternative seemed to be Mitch + Pickett at best, and Wentz has been a good QB. 

But my favorite part of the deal is that they have an out after one year if he implodes.  Sure, it cost you a 3rd and probably a second.  But nothing against the cap, so if they wanted to go out and sign another FA or trade for somebody else and need the room, they'd have it. If they screwed with his deal which locked them into salary in out-years, I would HATE it.  And I'm one of the most positive Wentz guys on the board, but even I would absolutely not double-down on this bet.  He's on his 3rd team in three years.  He doesn't get the benefit of the doubt.  I'm not moving money to out years and then having him suck, and then having to either keep him against my will or take a huge hit against the cap to get rid of him.  

They currently have $18M under the cap right now, they don't need more cap room.

Sweat/Young- Both seem a little stupid and underperformed last year.  This is the same team that let Preston Smith walk.  Sweat seems like a similar level talent and while I’ll grant you they are planning to resign Young, I’d be pretty surprised if they try to keep both unless Sweat really steps it up this year.

If there is an odd man out, I think it's Payne.  But that's kindof why I think they franchise Payne next off-season and extend Sweat, who's next up in line.  They will keep this group together for as long as they can.  

Personally, I would trade Sweat next off-season if he doesn't blow-up because at that point you know what this group of 4 is, and if it's not extraordinary, it's time to move on. Keep Allen and Young, and draft a few more guys.  

Terry is obvious.

This will get done.  Pretty soon.  Maybe tomorrow.  :) 

So no, I do not think they are simply saving $$ for the future.  There are two important resigning on the horizon and really, what team doesn’t have that sort of thing to worry about? They are operating like a team that at minimum feels the need to worry about cash and at maximum absolutely have to worry about cash.    Doesn’t even matter which is true, billionaire NFL franchise owners aren’t supposed to feel cash strapped.

Well, I disagree, I think there are a lot more than 2 signings.  I think they've been overly careful with the cap, I think they could have been more aggressive.  But Ron keeps saying they want to try and keep everybody.  

I still don't think he's cash strapped, I know you do.  Whatever. Neither of us will ever know the truth.  Unless I take a job at BDO and get on the Commander's audit team.  Then I would know.  But I couldn't tell you.  And since I'm not an auditor, getting that gig would be difficult.  Though I might take a job with BDO.  I quit mine, and they are in the running for my next job... But probably not on the Commander's audit, sadly, because I'm not technically an accountant.  Though I do work a lot in finance and accounting....

…as do I.

Nope nope nope not getting sucked into the VORtex lol.   I said my peace lol.

That bit at the end was a joke.  There's no way I'm ever going to know about the Commander's or Dan's finances.  It's not my area at all.  It was a poor attempt at humor.  

• Thumb up 1

8 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

They said they want to, but probably not this year, and definitely not before Terry.  Keim has reported this a number of times, that there is still a possibility for an extension this off-season, and certainly next off-season.  Standig has reported there's no chance for this off-season.  Who's right? I don't know.  We won't know until after the Terry deal gets done.  Both Standig and Keim are pretty reliable, and this is an odd instance where they're reporting is diverging.  

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they franchised Payne next season.

They will extend him and the amount won't be huge, but it will be starting LB money.  They reason they will extend him is because they don't have any other LBs on the team.  So, it's kindof a necessity.  It won't be a HUGE deal, but it will be an extension.  (I like Holcomb for what he is, FWIW.  He is good, improving, was drafted, and has been groomed.  That's what we've been asking them to do.)

Yeah, if he's still around, he will need an extension after the 2023 season.  (And in my quote, I said the next 2 seasons.  He would be up the same off-season as Young I think, if I did my math correctly.)  They're not going to let him play on the last year of his deal and then go into franchise tag hell.  So he would be extended after the 2023 season, again, if he's still around.  

There is no way they would restructure him now, though, and it has nothing to do with money.  It has everything to do with the fact they need to see him in this offense and make sure "He is who they thought he was."  (Thank you Dennis Green).  If he's not, you're out a 3rd and either a second or a third, and that's it.  No future penalty for losing him.

And his $28M is fully guaranteed this year anyway.  

I was one of the more positive on the Wentz trade, more so because the alternative seemed to be Mitch + Pickett at best, and Wentz has been a good QB. 

But my favorite part of the deal is that they have an out after one year if he implodes.  Sure, it cost you a 3rd and probably a second.  But nothing against the cap, so if they wanted to go out and sign another FA or trade for somebody else and need the room, they'd have it. If they screwed with his deal which locked them into salary in out-years, I would HATE it.  And I'm one of the most positive Wentz guys on the board, but even I would absolutely not double-down on this bet.  He's on his 3rd team in three years.  He doesn't get the benefit of the doubt.  I'm not moving money to out years and then having him suck, and then having to either keep him against my will or take a huge hit against the cap to get rid of him.  

They currently have $18M under the cap right now, they don't need more cap room.

If there is an odd man out, I think it's Payne.  But that's kindof why I think they franchise Payne next off-season and extend Sweat, who's next up in line.  They will keep this group together for as long as they can.  

Personally, I would trade Sweat next off-season if he doesn't blow-up because at that point you know what this group of 4 is, and if it's not extraordinary, it's time to move on. Keep Allen and Young, and draft a few more guys.  

This will get done.  Pretty soon.  Maybe tomorrow.  :) 

Well, I disagree, I think there are a lot more than 2 signings.  I think they've been overly careful with the cap, I think they could have been more aggressive.  But Ron keeps saying they want to try and keep everybody.  

I still don't think he's cash strapped, I know you do.  Whatever. Neither of us will ever know the truth.  Unless I take a job at BDO and get on the Commander's audit team.  Then I would know.  But I couldn't tell you.  And since I'm not an auditor, getting that gig would be difficult.  Though I might take a job with BDO.  I quit mine, and they are in the running for my next job... But probably not on the Commander's audit, sadly, because I'm not technically an accountant.  Though I do work a lot in finance and accounting....

VOR, I want to start by saying that I value you as a member here completely and my take here has no aggression towards you as I think your contributions here are vital to the forum.

So… I don’t get your takes re: team finances. Specifically speaking: “none of us know.”

That is correct. We are here, on a fan forum, posting non sense at each other to pass time.

We don’t know the reasons we may not be spending money, we don’t know why they didn’t trade up for Justin Fields, we don’t know if Chase Young will be healthy, we don’t know why they didn’t draft Kenny Pickett, we don’t know much of anything.

We can look at things and reasonably assess. This team is handing out the least guaranteed dollars in contracts despite great cap health. We do know that.

Why would a team with great cap health hand out very little in guarantees? Lack of liquidity is an obvious answer. You can say so that they have money to pool for McLaurin et al, and that can still be absolutely correct. But, McLaurin isn’t going to take us to the cap. Why didn’t they spend more to get to the cap and bolster this team? That becomes the question. For Cole Holcomb? For Daron Payne? I doubt it. For Young/Sweat who have done very little as a tandem? They can’t be projecting their contracts because so far the duo has been tremendously underwhelming.

• Like 4

Wow still on about Dan’s finances.

That 22mil guarantees number is clearly either incorrect or misleading.

However, we were underwhelming in free agency. The truth will come out on the back of the Mclaurin and Payne contract situations this offseason. Thereafter the whole guaranteed money level will be dictated largely by the QB position moving forward.

10 hours ago, KDawg said:

VOR, I want to start by saying that I value you as a member here completely and my take here has no aggression towards you as I think your contributions here are vital to the forum.

Why would a team with great cap health hand out very little in guarantees? Lack of liquidity is an obvious answer. You can say so that they have money to pool for McLaurin et al, and that can still be absolutely correct. But, McLaurin isn’t going to take us to the cap. Why didn’t they spend more to get to the cap and bolster this team? That becomes the question. For Cole Holcomb? For Daron Payne? I doubt it. For Young/Sweat who have done very little as a tandem? They can’t be projecting their contracts because so far the duo has been tremendously underwhelming.

Ok, fine, I'll drop the "we don't know."

This is the wrong thread for it, but I just don't buy it.  Maybe I'm wrong and being extremely naïve.  

I do think they are looking forward and projecting the cap, and that is causing them a lot of pause. I think that because that's what they've said, and it makes some sense.

Maybe it's just I find it really hard to believe an NFL team, any NFL team, with the amount of TV money coming in, is having cash flow issues.  Just that alone should prevent any organization from having cash flow issues, the shared revenue amount is pretty obscene.  

But whatever.  I'm kindof tired of speculating about that specific point. I'd prefer to compare Baker and TH and which one somebody should trade for.  And how Howell is going to be the next Breese.  

I will say, I'm absolutely shocked they didn't drop a Terry, Daron and Holcomb extension on us today with some hope of causing a minor distraction.

On the other hand, maybe they knew it would get buried, so they're waiting until next week.  

As I said previously, I KNOW it will be done by July 4th.  :P

• Haha 1