Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ye Auld 2019 Free Agency Tracker

Riggo-toni

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

We let a franchise QB walk for zero return and traded a pick and good young corner to downgrade the position, only to then sign that downgrade to an expensive (and longer) contract where we pay him the same amount as Kirk in the first two years anyway.  A contract that we are now going to be desperate to get out of.

We should have gotten a ****ing haul for Kirk.  We should have used that haul to go out and get an upgrade at the position.  Instead we gave up a player and picks to have zero promising solutions at the position and what essentially amounts to an enormous cap penalty.  We're stuck with nothing but our dicks in our hands, paying Alex Smith a ton of money, and hoping a couple of career backups can save the job of the people who were in charge of this debacle.

Oh and we still don't have a quarterback.  Add the draft picks we're going to have to spend to eventually get one to the balance of opportunity cost paid in the disaster.

I wouldn't say Kirk is a franchise QB.  I'd reserve that to guys who can win regardless of what is around them.  Kirk needs talent around him, and he's choked twice  in win-or-die games to make the playoffs.  He's much better than Alex was however (I do think Alex is a much better leader and the players love him).  

3 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

We let a franchise QB walk for zero return and traded a pick and good young corner to downgrade the position, only to then sign that downgrade to an expensive (and longer) contract where we pay him the same amount as Kirk in the first two years anyway.  A contract that we are now going to be desperate to get out of.

We should have gotten a ****ing haul for Kirk.  We should have used that haul to go out and get an upgrade at the position.  Instead we gave up a player and picks to have zero promising solutions at the position and what essentially amounts to an enormous cap penalty.  We're stuck with nothing but our dicks in our hands, paying Alex Smith a ton of money, and hoping a couple of career backups can save the job of the people who were in charge of this debacle.

Oh and we still don't have a quarterback.  Add the draft picks we're going to have to spend to eventually get one to the balance of opportunity cost paid in the disaster.

how exactly were we going to get a haul for Kirk?

3 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I don't know Steve with a little know how, a lot of magic can happen with your dick in your hand.

2 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

You really think so? He's done imo.  

I think he's done too, but I doubt we cut ties with him before 2020.  Too much dead money to do so.  Most likely outcome is that we try and hobble through this season with some stream of Keenum and McCoy and then see whether or not Alex is done next offseason before cutting him to save the five million and trying to get someone in the 2020 draft.

2 minutes ago, carex said:

how exactly were we going to get a haul for Kirk?

By trading him when we had him under control.

24 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The Smith deal was an unmitigated disaster.  We paid a disastrous amount of opportunity cost in the debacle and the worst possible outcome ended up happening.  It was a god damn terrible move at the time and has only gotten worse since.  The homers are out in full force tonight.

Smith’s strengths had been health and consistency. 

6-3 prior to the injury. Not sure how it would have been an unmitigated disaster absent the freak injury. 

4 hours ago, crabbypatty said:

The problem is, there is no one right way to build a winning team.

Some teams do it with superstar qb's. Those guys are hard to find though.

Some do it with stifling defenses and decent qb's

some teams do it with running games that pound you into submission.

Obviously a HOF qb makes it easier to win, but they're not exactly easy to find. Even mortgaging everything to go up and get one gives you no guarantees (see RG3).

We've got a bunch of really good pieces on the defensive side of the ball and OL. You want to jettison all of that for a qb and then rebuild all that stuff all over again?

Or you want to give up future Jon Allens and Brandon Scherffs in hopes of getting one?

That's not realistic at all.

This team is far better than the guys we trotted out like Stephen Paea, Terrell McClain, Terell Pryor, Kendall Reyes and their ilk of just a few short seasons ago.

We've got a lot of good young guys on this team, you almost have to keep plugging along and adding what fits along the way and hope you can find the formula for sustained winning.

You don't need Tom Brady to win games. SB qb's can be found anywhere in the draft and FA (R Wilson, Rodgers, Rypien, Warner, Brees, Brady,Theismann, Staubach, Montana) etc. None of those guys were "tank the season and rebuild the right way" guys.. but they all won SB's.

Game winning/playoff qb's are the same story, Prescott, Cousins, Mahomes, Watson, and many more. Those guys weren't "mortgage the future" 1st or 2nd overall qb's, and they all took their teams to the playoffs.

I agree.

And as I said, I'd like for the Skins to get as many picks as they possibly can in order to get as many chances as they can to hit the lottery.  Cheap, rookie contracts.  

Look, here's what I'm talking about:

http://www.espn.com/watch/player?id=1f853eac-3099-479a-a57f-32861c7c134c

Fast forward to 9 minutes in if you can't watch the whole thing.

It's a simple, simple philosophy.  Jimmy Johnson wanted as many picks as he could possibly get because he trusted himself and his staff to pick the right players.  He even says it himself, every pick they got for Herschel Walker, they traded it for more picks, they moved up or they moved down.  5 years, 51 trades.  More than the rest of the entire league put together.  "When you bring in as many players as we did, you're gonna have hits and misses.  We had some misses, but we had plenty of hits."  And when they won their first Super Bowl, they were the cheapest and youngest team in the league.

That's what I want.  I don't give a **** if they do it with a HoF qb or a mediocre QB and a great defense or the best running attack ever.  This board is obsessed with HoF qbs because we've never ****ing had one, at least not since Sonny.  I'd at least like us to get as many picks as we possibly can so we don't have to mortgage the future on a 1st round QB.  I mean, look what happened in 2012, we drafted a guy who we thought was going to be the franchise savior and then drafted another QB a few rounds later, just in case. Did we not learn from that?  

And yeah, @Master Blaster I'd trade all those guys you listed, every last one.  Cause we don't have the coach and we certainly don't have the offense to make it happen.  I'd trade Scherff in order to try and draft two or three more guys like him.  I'd trade Payne to try and draft two or three more of him, too.  Allen, see ya.  Gimme the picks.  Gimme as many lottery tickets as I can possibly get.  You said it yourself, the most valuable thing in the league right now is cheap talent on a rookie contract and we've got a few to deal.  I don't care, I've got no emotional attachment to these guys and I sure as hell don't trust Bruce Allen to build this thing correctly around a decent core.  ES is a funny place, we tear apart and eviscerate Bruce in one thread from head to toe and in the next thread we're jumping for joy because we got a safety.  The Redskins are like an abusive alcoholic, they get drunk with their FA money, beat us senseless with meaningless moves and then come crawling back with promises that they'll be better after they sober up.  

So you bring up Seattle with having Wilson/Okung/Sherman/Wagner/Chancellor on rookie deals, and they can't have the same success?  Seattle's WORST season is our best recent season.  9-7.  Aside from a 9-7 year where they missed the playoffs, they've been in the playoffs every year since 2012.  And in 5 out of those 6 seasons where they made the playoffs, they won a playoff game and advanced.  What are you talking about when you mean they can't sustain success?  

Landon Collins?  Keep shuffling those deck chairs.  Here's hoping they find that formula.  Just a flashy new name to tug on the Sean Taylor heartstrings and get us all riled up and hopeful.  Looks like they're doing a good job of it. 

1 hour ago, Poindexter said:

What's going on with Preston Smith?

A team was calling smith with a 5-year, $180-million deal.   But he didn't QUITE get to the phone on time so the team signed someone else.   Almost there.   Almost always there.   And, yet, never there.   Not ever.   I think I remember him on the field three times last year.   He's an inch away, 20 times a year.   He's an inch away, 20 times a year from that 180-million contract.   And someone will pay him WAY more than he deserves thinking they'll get him that inch.   But this is why so many marriages end.   That inch is hard to find after a while :).   

40 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’m with you.  It was a bad deal for the Skins, on two legs.  My point is that his injury differs from that of say, Paul  Richardson.  Richardson was always injured yet signed to a big $ deal and surprise, he barely played.

I agree with you signing Paul Richardson on his body of work for that contract was a bad move at the time we made it, and will remain so even if he becomes Antonio Brown.   But this was clearly a risk-oriented move on the "projection" about what if.   I hate almost all those.   Ask the guy who invested in JDS Uniphase instead of Apple with $300K back in 2000.

40 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Really believe he becomes a Skins.  Just feeling it.  Between the Jets and us.  3 former defensive Bama players from the 2013 CFB Championship team here helps, IMO. 

Careful man.   And sleep.   It ain't happening right now.   Mosely has too many teams angling for his attention.   I am not saying it's not possible, because we are one of them, but the numbers are going to hurt our brains when they come out.   But it could happen regardless.   I will say this, there's a 3 percent state income tax difference between Virginia and New York.   Those $30Ks every million add up.   And New York's overall tax burden of 12.94 percent (property, income, sales and excise) is significant when compared to Virginia.   You will need to be close in dollars, but you might get a couple million, "I ain't living there," discount.   

8 minutes ago, LittleTinyUnbornBaby said:

I really do, maybe its just me hoping so much that ibhave cinvinced myself its going to happen

Interesting. I of course want Alex Smith to fully recover, and that, in an ideal world, means he can play football again if he wants.

But I also never want to watch Alex Smith play football again, regardless of his health. (Note: like I said above, this doesn't mean I want him to not recover--it's separate. I hate watching him play football and want him off the roster and us out of that contract no matter how much it hurts). 

9 minutes ago, LittleTinyUnbornBaby said:

I really do, maybe its just me hoping so much that ibhave cinvinced myself its going to happen

Why would you want him back?  He was really not good AT ALL in the 9 games he played with us.  His only good game was against the Packers, and even that was more like a great first half than a good game.  I hope he recovers, and is able to live a healthy life after football, but let's be real here, it was a BIG mistake trading for him.  We're screwed in the interim because of his cap number, and that we traded away an emerging young DB. 

43 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think he's done too, but I doubt we cut ties with him before 2020.  Too much dead money to do so.  Most likely outcome is that we try and hobble through this season with some stream of Keenum and McCoy and then see whether or not Alex is done next offseason before cutting him to save the five million and trying to get someone in the 2020 draft.

By trading him when we had him under control.

Kirk really hadn't proven anything those two years.  I mean Smith is a three time pro bowler, had some success in the playoffs and the Chiefs got very good under him.  His first trade was a second and a conditional pick, his second trade was a third and a player who hadn't really done anything

We'd have gotten a pick or two.  Not a haul

56 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

6-3 prior to the injury. Not sure how it would have been an unmitigated disaster absent the freak injury. 

Smith was outright terrible all season. It was a disaster from the trade that has been made worse every few months since 

1 hour ago, Master Blaster said:

It's football and as players age their likelihood of getting hurt increases. 

The contract was created without accurately taking into account that despite Smith being durable there is still a chance of a large injury. I'd also add this contract didn't have many outs in that the team is committed for at least 3 years. 

45 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

looks like the Philly media is hyped

it's rare that a player comes back to a team that cut him and everyone is excited over the reunion. I also think we are in the unique situation of knowing exactly what D-Jax brings to the table (as an opponent and a teammate). He's a bit older, but last season with Fitzpatrick he showed the same ability to get behind the defender and adjust to where ever the ball is thrown. That's been a piece missing in the Eagles offense since he left. 

He's going to change how defenses approach them. Leaving him on any corner without safety help could be a quick 6. It will also open up things for all the bigger body guys over the middle. 

For me this makes Wentz a potential highly rated QB in fantasy. So many weapons with a very good playcaller in Doug Pederson. 

2 hours ago, LittleTinyUnbornBaby said:

Get out of Alex Smith's deal? Dudes gonna come back, come on man.

I don't know man. I sort of just want that whole thing to go away. It still has a feel of us trying to make a splashy move to hide how bad the Cousins situation was handled. 

IF he comes back in 2020 he'll be a 36 year old QB and there's no denying his only real legit production came with Andy Reid, who makes all QBs look good, Jason Kelce, Kareem Hunt and Tyreek Hill. As it stands we can't replicate any of that. 

He's a great guy and maybe a better story. I know most of the fanbase (myself included) would love to get behind a great comeback story, but do we really think he'll be better than he was this past year? I mean, the last time he's played that bad was 8 seasons ago and that was the Singletary coached 49ers. 

Maybe here's a better way to approach it - What do you expect from the comeback? If you want him just to lace it up one last time and have a so-so season before he retires I'd say that's reasonable. If you want him to replicate the 100+ QB rating days of KC we are sort of setting ourselves up to be let down. 

I'm of the mindset it's better to just move on at this point. No need to make lofty comeback expectations for what has been a good manager who will be past his prime if he can recover from a horrible injury. I'd add it would be even worse to see him come back and get hurt again. I'd almost feel weirdly responsible because once I get on the 'Alex Smith Comeback' bus it will be a full go. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Mosley used teams to get the Ravens to ante up more money.  Makes sense but it leaves a bad taste in fan's mouths of the teams that bid on him.  I understand.  It's the business side of sports.  :(

I hope Ha Ha isn't brought back.  I was so hoping for Mosely.  Pretty bummed right now but happy we got Collins. :)

18 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Collins cap hit in 2019 of 4mil on a 6/84 deal. That's impressive even by our standards.

As for Mosley, I'm starting to sour. He sounds like a reluctant FA who's heart is with the Ravens. Let's see how that one pans out I guess.

He'll end up going back to them.  He used many teams to include us to raise his price and wants to stay in Baltimore, it seems.  Nature of the business.  

4 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Interesting. I of course want Alex Smith to fully recover, and that, in an ideal world, means he can play football again if he wants.

But I also never want to watch Alex Smith play football again, regardless of his health. (Note: like I said above, this doesn't mean I want him to not recover--it's separate. I hate watching him play football and want him off the roster and us out of that contract no matter how much it hurts). 

This is how I feel too.  The Kirk debacle/save face trade and contract is part of it of course.  But on the field I saw a player that was more scared than conservative.  

I dont see how anyone can be longing for the return of Alex Smith. Hope he has a speedy recovery, but Im not holding my breath awaiting his comeback like he's our Aaron Rodgers. Like RG3 (after the injury), I just want this Cousins & Alex Smith nightmare to go away. I'm ready for us to get a young hot **** QB who goes out and wins us games. 

Archived