Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brett Rypien. Opinions?

SprintBomb

As a Boise area native who’s watched nearly all his college games....

decent arm but has a lot of Rex Grossman moments. Needs to develop better “touch”

On the plus side, he stayed pretty healthy at Boise St

Sure, take a chance if he’s available in 3rd or lower. 

I commented on him earlier today on the draft thread.

My impression is he is accurate and smart but he's not special at anything. He doesn't have a strong arm, isn't great at dodging pressure, not that mobile, nothing special as to throwing on the move.

His build reminds me of Colt McCoy where I worry about his durability if he takes a big hit.

Having said that, I would rather take a chance on him in the third even if he ends up a backup type than forcing something in the first round.

I like Grier in the 2nd though if he falls there easily over Rypien in the third round range.

The Redskins do not have a good history with choosing relatives of former NFL players.

But it would totally be an Allen move after he convinces Dan that he is just as good as Mark , and Mark wasn't even that good. He had a 2 year stint where he excelled but dropped off soon afterwards. It was a nice 2 years though.

18 hours ago, hawgboy said:

As a Boise area native who’s watched nearly all his college games....

decent arm but has a lot of Rex Grossman moments. Needs to develop better “touch”

On the plus side, he stayed pretty healthy at Boise St

Sure, take a chance if he’s available in 3rd or lower. 

That was kind of Rypien (mark) tbh. Rypien really got his **** together for one season, obviously the SuperBowl run. But even through some struggles and rough games in 89,90,92,93 He was still the best QB post 89 to put on the Burgundy and Gold until Kirk Cousins came along.

As far as the son goes, Hell yeah. He's a talent and I'd love to see Rypien sprawled across a quarterbacks jersey behind center for the skins for the nostalgia alone. We are probably going to suck again next season, so what the hell.

9 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Glad we didn't choose CJ Beathard tho

Not sure if this is sarcasm or not but CJ beathard has more potential & could outperform any QB on our roster including a healthy Alex Smith

I'd be interested if he falls to the 3rd-4th round, mostly because I just don't want the Redskins to chase a QB in the 1st round this year. I would rather use this draft to bolster the other areas of need (safety, WR, Guard, Edge rusher, etc.), ride with either Colt or some cheap FA QB and probably suck in 2019 as a result, then draft the QB of the future in 2020 with a higher draft pick.

I dunno. I'll admit, I'm having a tough time caring anymore though. I just can't even with this organization anymore. Dan Snyder is the polar opposite of King Midas. Anything he touches turns to crap. If in an alternate universe, the Redskins had Mahomes, I'm pretty certain he would suck.

12 hours ago, skins island connection said:

The Redskins do not have a good history with choosing relatives of former NFL players.

But it would totally be an Allen move after he convinces Dan that he is just as good as Mark , and Mark wasn't even that good. He had a 2 year stint where he excelled but dropped off soon afterwards. It was a nice 2 years though.

Imagine the marketing?  Next year, Todd Bowles the HC. Maybe Russ Grimm as the OC.  Doug elevated to some new title.   Rypien the QB. 

Mid rounder maybe. I suppose I might take a flyer on him if he falls to the late rounds. After watching him I mostly agree with @Skinsinparadise...he is decent at most things but doesn't really stand out at anything. Good mechanics, seems to go through reads pretty well, some mobility, pretty good accuracy overall though his deep touch/accuracy is a bit questionable as I saw a him get bailed out a number of times after underthrows or throwing into double coverage. He feels like an NFL backup to me. Got some gunslinger in him but doesn't necessarily have the arm for it...as others have said, a bit of Rex in him. 

34 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Imagine the marketing?  Next year, Todd Bowles the HC. Maybe Russ Grimm as the OC.  Doug elevated to some new title.   Rypien the QB. 

I'm fine with that, We know the product on the field is going to blow & or half our team will go down with injury before week 7 , at least give me some nostalgia during the offseason, At this points its all this fan base has left.

16 hours ago, skins island connection said:

Do you consider the year before or after the Super Bowl the other year?  Cause he did get the team to the second round in bot years.

The Redskins will find a way to botch this.  Some other team with a good scouting department and GM will identify a QB and draft him and likely with 1-3 picks prior to the Redskins in either the 2nd or 3rd round.  Sorry, but I just do not have any confidence in this team.  Will they draft Rypien? Probably, but only due to his name and ties to the organization.  Will he be available in the 3rd? Absolutely.  I'm guessing 6-7 rd pick for some team.

17 hours ago, SprintBomb said:

She throws a better deep ball than Colt does 

And is less injury-prone.

Seriously, while drafting Brett Rypien is dumb from a football perspective, it's not a bad way to get butts in seats.  I'd much rather we waste a 5th round pick on him than doing another Alex Smith contract or RG3 trade.

Archived