Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Things that you'd like to see come back in sports

Spaceman Spiff

I've touched on this before, but I'd like to see important bowl games played in cold weather cities occasionally.  Part of this is from getting sick of hearing "SEC Speed" all the time.  Some of it came from being annoyed that the SEC won tons of championships in a row.  Some of it was from observation...watching Wisconsin pound Miami in multiple bowl games, when Penn State beat LSU in a bowl game years ago when it was pouring rain, etc.

I think this has changed to some degree because man does Alabama have some horses on their D-Line, but historically, the SEC has been a speed conference, while the Big 10 has historically had a reputation of running the ball, big O-Linemen, smash mouth defense, etc.  But a majority of the fancy bowl games are in warmer weather.  And I get it, that's not likely to change because warmer weather draws more fans, more alumni, etc...but I'd love to see some of these SEC teams be forced to play up north in December and January and see what happens.  I'll bet the results might skew the other way a bit, I've seen it happen when the weather isn't optimal.

15 hours ago, Forehead said:

I've touched on this before, but I'd like to see important bowl games played in cold weather cities occasionally.  Part of this is from getting sick of hearing "SEC Speed" all the time.  Some of it came from being annoyed that the SEC won tons of championships in a row.  Some of it was from observation...watching Wisconsin pound Miami in multiple bowl games, when Penn State beat LSU in a bowl game years ago when it was pouring rain, etc.

I think this has changed to some degree because man does Alabama have some horses on their D-Line, but historically, the SEC has been a speed conference, while the Big 10 has historically had a reputation of running the ball, big O-Linemen, smash mouth defense, etc.  But a majority of the fancy bowl games are in warmer weather.  And I get it, that's not likely to change because warmer weather draws more fans, more alumni, etc...but I'd love to see some of these SEC teams be forced to play up north in December and January and see what happens.  I'll bet the results might skew the other way a bit, I've seen it happen when the weather isn't optimal.

Saw some stat a few years ago on the impact of weather in the USC-Notre Dame series. I guess they play the home games when it's favorable for the home team and there's a distinct advantage that came down to ND play better in the cold and USC plays better in the warm, dry weather. 

Bring back the "rim rocker" dunks of the 80s and 90s.  I hate these new age, clean dunks where they just kinda throw the ball in the hoop and slap their hand on the rim.  WEAK.

I miss the old 80s and 90s dunks when bammas used to slam it, hold onto the rim and yank it down, then let go and it snapped back up.  The sound was awesome, and it made the dunk much more violent.  Back when players were trying to tear the rim down every time they yammed it. 

Look at Penny pull that mother ****er down, and the slight right leg lift so as to expose the scrotum sack to his victim.  Nasty :headbang:

I want a small percentage of athletes to come from "Parts Unknown" or places like that. The world is too small now. There was a time when we didn't know every custom and government in every backwater village on each continent. That was so cool. 

I also want the final 2 minutes of a NFL game to be frantic and panic-inducing like it was in the 1980s. I remember watching games and it seemed like protecting a 5-point lead at the 2-minute warning was a lock. Teams ran around like the clock was accelerating. Over the past 10-15 years it seems like QBs and coaches have become so good with clock management that each team can manipulate the clock to ensure that they both will have ample time to score and/or answer. Teams rarely run out of time anymore...they simply run out of downs instead. I miss the chaos!

I'll echo the "hating your opponent" thing. What happened to the 1990s Knicks/Pacers or 1970s Cowboys/Redskins? 

Less Flags in the NFL. Watching the 87 super bowl recently -Crazy how faster it was when after every play someone isnt looking for a flag.  (BTW- Easy fix- Add more Ref discretion.  The the foul was away from the play of had no effect on the play, no penalty, unless its Ref decides its being done intentional after a warning.  So those holds 5 yards behind the runner -ignore.  The defensive holding when QB threw a quick slant to the other side of the field -Irrelevant.  

This is my wish, that women's sport contests are female only again. I don't watch sports where male trans persons are allowed to compete in women's sport. This includes the Olympics. It's unfair to females who work very hard to achieve success in their sport only to have males compete and start skewing records.

1 hour ago, TMK9973 said:

The defensive holding when QB threw a quick slant to the other side of the field -Irrelevant.  

I guess this goes to the discretion part, because is it irrelevant?  Maybe he threw the slant because the other receiver couldn't get open due to being held?  Otherwise I generally agree.

Edit:  and to your point, if you look at the very first play of the 1988 SuperBowl against the Broncos (the kickoff) there was a late hit out of bounds on Sanders that wasn't called and would be in today's NFL.

23 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

This is my wish, that women's sport contests are female only again. I don't watch sports where male trans persons are allowed to compete in women's sport. This includes the Olympics. It's unfair to females who work very hard to achieve success in their sport only to have males compete and start skewing records.

Is this rally a big issue?  The only time ive ever seen this really factor is the story of the Texas wrestler, and thats cause TX has a stupid law that says you have to compete in gender your birth certificate says you are.

In this case- he is transition to male, takes male hormones, etc....but is FORCED to compete against women. Where he wins all the time.  

On 1/15/2019 at 2:56 PM, TMK9973 said:

Less Flags in the NFL. Watching the 87 super bowl recently -Crazy how faster it was when after every play someone isnt looking for a flag.  (BTW- Easy fix- Add more Ref discretion.  The the foul was away from the play of had no effect on the play, no penalty, unless its Ref decides its being done intentional after a warning.  So those holds 5 yards behind the runner -ignore.  The defensive holding when QB threw a quick slant to the other side of the field -Irrelevant.  

I'm for this, but would approach it differently. The game is over-legislated now. I don't think the answer is to provide more discretion to refs (because then you will get into annoying cases where something was a penalty in this game and not in that game). I think the answer is to significantly reduce the size of the rule book. I shouldn't need a law degree and PhD to understand what a catch is. 

33 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I'm for this, but would approach it differently. The game is over-legislated now. I don't think the answer is to provide more discretion to refs (because then you will get into annoying cases where something was a penalty in this game and not in that game). I think the answer is to significantly reduce the size of the rule book. I shouldn't need a law degree and PhD to understand what a catch is. 

I remember John Madden talking about this. He was talking about the minutiae of replay. 

Something along the lines of: "Did he lose the ball? Yea? Then he fumbled it.  

59 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

I remember John Madden talking about this. He was talking about the minutiae of replay. 

Something along the lines of: "Did he lose the ball? Yea? Then he fumbled it.  

Exactly! Or a catch on the sideline...can you imagine how many catches through our Redskins' glory years may have been overturned because Monk didn't "go to the ground while maintaining complete control of the ball along the sideline" or something? 

Monk hauled it in and got two feet down. Catch. 

Archived