Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

12 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Think this needs to be a bigger deal. Not taking advantage of available technology is unacceptable. Don't care if you're not an analytics coach. 

Just now, Warhead36 said:

Yeah I'm a big Rizzo guy but if he's not willing to adapt to the new way of doing things, it might be time for the new ownership to bring in a fresh face.

We'll see, Rizzo has been making changes to scouting and development. That sort of thing is not an overnight matter--it'll take time to see if these changes make any difference. Likewise, this was Voth in an interview for an article--the context is unclear. He also had good stretches here, and then imploded, horribly. So we'll see if he continues. Also, we have no idea what he was given, if he used it, or anything like that. But it does make us look bad on it's face. Maybe it is time for Rizz to step down--and I will always thank him for what he built here. But nothing lasts forever and maybe a change is in order. Just a nugget I remember hearing last year--Theo Epstein wants to be part of an ownership group...

14 minutes ago, skinswillwin06 said:

If they actually trade him I will sadly have to be out for the foreseeable future I think. Fan since day 1, watched nearly every game of the 08-10 dumpster fires. Can't do it again. F the Lerners. They won't even spend another owner's money.

I'm upset about some of the past moves the team made, but what are they supposed to do? that offer was enormous and he said no.

• Thumb up 4

It's gotten ****ty since winning the ring. Now they can't hold the core together. 

With Soto possibly being dealt this is pretty big loss. There is nobody that could even come close to replacing his value. 

If they must do it though don't do the Rendon or harper road. At least get a return. 

Get rid of everyone so we can give Soto the moon, team sucks because of it, decides he wants to be traded, too...

200 (18).gif

29 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

Offering a guy who’s hitting .235 the biggest contract of all time is about all you can do.

Let’s load up the farm system!

He's literally saving us from ourselves right now. No way should we pay more then that when he's hitting like that right now, potential be damned.

• Thumb up 1

Also doesn't make sense for a team to trade for him at this point in time anyway. Would have to give up the farm (literally) for someone thats a FA in 2 years. The obvious path here is they're leaving it to the new ownership, who will not want the megastar of their organization to leave right after buying it

On 7/15/2022 at 8:29 AM, @DCGoldPants said:

I view it as both coaching and GMing. But more on the coaching side. 

I wonder is some also has to do with ownership being up in the air. 

Either way this is all very disappointing. We have hit rock bottom just a few years after winning a World Series.

2 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

I wonder is some also has to do with ownership being up in the air. 

Either way this is all very disappointing. We have hit rock bottom just a few years after winning a World Series.

Unless ownership is saying no to resources the Front Office and Coaches are asking for. I don't see it. The sport is changing.

10 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Unless ownership is saying no to resources the Front Office and Coaches are asking for. I don't see it. The sport is changing.

I meant more from Soto’s side. Like I would be weary of an ownership change as a player. What if you end up with Dan Snyder and you signed a multi year contract. I’d rather go play for a stable franchise personally.

50 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

I meant more from Soto’s side. Like I would be weary of an ownership change as a player. What if you end up with Dan Snyder and you signed a multi year contract. I’d rather go play for a stable franchise personally.

OH. I don't know. That was a big offer. Maybe they go  higher to up the average annual in another offer. 

Im guessing there was only a rejection and no counter. 

4 hours ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

I can see the other side of this tho.

29M per year is chump change for a guy like Soto in 2035*.  There’s no good reason for him to sign a 15 year deal.  Now…12/450?  That might get it done.

*if current economic trends hold

Yeah, I can't imagine that the Nats FO thought Soto would accept that deal.  That's a save face offer by inflating the total dollars by tacking on years. 

AAV lower than 30 mil?  GTFO with that nonsense.  Soto would likely make more money by taking a 10/300 and then signing a new deal at early 30s when AAVs will be much higher than now.

• Like 1

The Soto situation is going to get kicked down the road. They gave him a legitimate offer, but there was no way Boras was going to take it at this point.

Boras mentioned an ownership group that is committed to winning. Right now, that's up in the air. I'm sure as I can be that figured into this decision. We still have 2 years to figure this out.  Nothing going to happen anytime soon.