Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

4 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

@PleaseBlitz Lane Thomas, sporting a 0.9 rWAR is 3-3 tonight.

My bet is in trouble!  😂 

fWAR is 0.7, and the guy i made the bet with is a degenerate gambler who doesn’t understand that there are multiple WARs, so as long as one is <1, im good. 

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Haha 1

Looking for some insight.

Attanasio, the milwaukee brewers owner is reportedly investing in the soccer team I support (Norwich City), with a long term takeover planned.

Would appreciate a bit of info on what he's like as an owner from MLB fan perspective. Just general reputation and outsider perspective.

Not looking to derail the thread, but its not worth starting a new thread for, and I couldn't see a generic MLB thread. Apologies for the intrusion, mods - feel free to delete if you feel that's appropriate.

Edited by UKskins

5 hours ago, UKskins said:

Looking for some insight.

Attanasio, the milwaukee brewers owner is reportedly investing in the soccer team I support (Norwich City), with a long term takeover planned.

Would appreciate a bit of info on what he's like as an owner from MLB fan perspective. Just general reputation and outsider perspective.

Not looking to derail the thread, but its not worth starting a new thread for, and I couldn't see a generic MLB thread. Apologies for the intrusion, mods - feel free to delete if you feel that's appropriate.

There is a general MLB thread here: 

Honestly, you'll probably get more info from a Brewers specific forum.  Some candidates below:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Brewers/

https://brewerfanatic.com/forums/forum/3-milwaukee-brewers-talk/

Good luck and hope you guys make it back to Premier League next year 

• Thanks 1

Honestly, this really ain't no thing. Bad baseball in Washington, D.C. is a nearly 150-year-old tradition so as far as this is concerned, we're back to the mean. Mind you, this team is miserable to watch but it's almost like a family heirloom to root for a losing team.

(This is all made much easier thanks to the 2019 Championship run of course).

• Like 1

I agree with many here he should jus retire at this point, but he won't in order to get that full contract (which is going to act like an anchor on any of our future cap moves).

I remember when we tried to limit his minutes to protect him during Nationals first playoff run.  He was pissed, so even now I'm not mad at him, I know he wants to play bad, he jus cant.

But it seems like that attempt to protect the future of his career didn't matter, and that hurts even more because I remember that debate on whether to limit his pitches, would we be right back in the playoffs anyway, would it actually have an impact on his health later in his career. 

Now we know all that and I really don't know if doing anything different would've made a difference.  I lean towards no, this was inevitable, all roads lead to this reality he jus can't stay healthy and nothing anyone can do about it.

I can't think of a more polarizing career that doesn't involve cheating than Stras.

First overall pick and one of the more heralded pitching prospects ever.  

Electric debut, 14 strikeouts over 7 innings, no walks, 2 ER, curly W.

Later, hurt his elbow and had Tommy John.  The team shut him down in the middle of the year the next season even though he made the all star team.  Strasless Nats made it to the NLDS, lost to the Cardinals in 5.  Nobody will ever know if (1) that outcome would have changed had Stras kept playing or (2) what impact not shutting him down would have had on his recovery and career.

Utterly dominant playoff run in 2019, and was WS MVP.  Then signed a $245 million contract.

Hasn't really played since.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I can't think of a more polarizing career that doesn't involve cheating than Stras.

First overall pick and one of the more heralded pitching prospects ever.  

Electric debut, 14 strikeouts over 7 innings, no walks, 2 ER, curly W.

Later, hurt his elbow and had Tommy John.  The team shut him down in the middle of the year the next season even though he made the all star team.  Strasless Nats made it to the NLDS, lost to the Cardinals in 5.  Nobody will ever know if (1) that outcome would have changed had Stras kept playing or (2) what impact not shutting him down would have had on his recovery and career.

Utterly dominant playoff run in 2019, and was WS MVP.  Then signed a $245 million contract.

Hasn't really played since.

How are you defining polarizing here?  

• Thanks 1